Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#38369 - 05/07/10 04:48 PM Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic''
COTUM Offline
lurker

Lt. Col. Michael Aquino, Temple of Set says:

"There have been a great many books written trying to make sense of "magic" or at least humanity's perennial fascination with same, along with a great many books trying to make sense of Adolf Hitler: how he saw the world, what he wanted to do about it, and why he chose the methods that he did to realize that ambition. Most books in both categories have fallen somewhat short of their goal, leaving the reader with yet another recitation of what happened, but with no greater understanding of why it did.

This curious little book - it is only 137 pages - answers both questions straightforwardly and succinctly. But before we can appreciate that, we must marvel at the Indiana Jones-series of coincidences and opportunities which have made it available to us. A chance mention in a bookworm article. A reader's tinge of curiosity. A dogged, frustrating effort to secure the original photocopy, to prevail upon translators, to get the result published. And suddenly, like the Ark of the Covenant, here it is.

Dr. Ernst Schertel could have been the model for one of H.P. Lovecraft's ill-fated seekers after forbidden knowledge. For all of Hitler's interest in this book, he found himself in a concentration camp, had his academic doctorate revoked, and spent the rest of his life in menial obscurity. Yet at the time he wrote _Magic_, he nailed it. All of reality, he argued, possesses not only a physical, four-dimensional existence, but an innate, essential metaphysical presence as well. This "_mana_", as he termed it, radiated an influence beyond its ordinary phenomenon, exerting subtle change that modern science and scientists have blundered blindly past in their simplistic, materialist focus. So they have become very good at answering the little questions, and very inept at explaining why the whole is often so much greater than the sum of its jigsaw parts.

The true magician, says Schertel, bears no resemblance to the fictional stereotype of a superstitious fool. He is rather someone who has learned to recognize the "_mana_" of things, then to take it into account in his use of them. Moreover, Schertel continues, the magician perceives within himself nothing less than the *ability to create* "_mana_", and to artfully communicate an ecstatic, subliminal reaction to it in others.

Can you see where this is going? Can you guess which sentences and paragraphs of this book Adolf Hitler highlighted in his copy? It is nothing less than a blueprint for the way that he deciphered his surroundings, then motivated others to refashion them to his fantastic visions. As bold as it might seem, the psychology, behavior, and impact of Hitler after he read _Magic_ in 1923 fall ingeniously into place as footnotes to its message.

Editor Josh Kelley worries a bit about the precision of the translation he finally obtained. This is understandable, as particularly in metaphysical context German can be punishingly obscure. But in this case the translation is clear enough to "get through"; just remember that you are going to have to meet this book halfway with a mental effort of your own. It is probably a good thing that most readers won't make the effort even if they buy it. Because its fully-unleashed implications are very, very dangerous. As the world saw because just one person grasped them."

Buy it here now:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-History-Prac...73264666&sr=8-1

#38372 - 05/07/10 08:20 PM Nothing to see here... [Re: COTUM]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Almost a full year later and nothing else to say yet another cut and paste to buy this book. I guess as you are now cutting and pasting from M.A. somehow this should matter?

It must be magic…

~T~

Now this was a waste of time… Mine yours and most who will read this.

#38374 - 05/07/10 10:04 PM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: COTUM]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Having been required to interpret German magical, alchemical, and metaphysical texts as part of my core research (e.g., von Welling's Opus Mago-cabbalisticum et Theosophicum and, more challenging by twelve orders of magnitude, Kant's Kritik der reinen Vernunft, which requires its own dictionary to be comprehensible even in English translation), the difficulty of understanding their abstract content is known to me, and Dr. Aquino's recognition of that tortuous and formidable task is entirely accurate.

Consequently, it would have been to the advantage of both editor and reader if a bilingual translation had been published instead, with German and English on facing pages. If the original German source was as difficult to obtain as Dr. Aquino says, failing to include a transcription of it alongside the English version was very unwise. How is any reader to know whether the translation is lead or gold?

I am always extremely skeptical when reading a translation done by someone without expertise in the language from which he or she is translating, which I don't feel unsafe in assuming here since the scholarly translation of a book which influenced Hitler, and whose original includes his annotations, would otherwise surely be welcomed for publication through an academic press, or at least one with an established reputation for employing professional peer review.

Given the necessary means, anyone can self-publish, which appears to be what the editor has done. There are simply too many cranks and self-proclaimed scholars with zero credentials for trustworthy output, and without any form of peer review or access by readers to the work in its original German to show that Josh Kelley is not one of them, compelling intelligent people to accept the soundness of this translation is an uphill battle. The burden of proof and accuracy is always on the author, or in this case the editor and translator, when publishing a book. Making accessible the Deutschquelle would have allowed the quality of translation to speak for itself against any critical standard, and ideally to bolster, or rather establish, the translator's credibility. Without some comparative basis for doing so, the task is impossible, and readers are tacitly expected to accept the translation's accuracy on faith alone.

"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary." —Mark Twain

Z.

#38397 - 05/09/10 09:35 AM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: COTUM]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Cotum, your cut ‘n’ paste amounted to an advertisement for Aquino’s book and nothing more. You didn’t even bother commenting on the book yourself. I’m not a moderator, but I think you should consider yourself warned. It was a shitty excuse for a post, and you should be ashamed.

#38398 - 05/09/10 11:59 AM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: William Wright]
Oxus Offline

I would agree with the cut & paste job being just that, without any comment or statement concerning the book, the initial post is of little use more than an advertisement.

I would like to point out that this is not Dr. Aquino's book but one written by Ernst Schertel, which was 'reviewed' by Dr. Aquino.

#38400 - 05/09/10 12:42 PM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: Oxus]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Amateurs…

The author J.H. Kelley I mean seriously if your going to complain about something at least read it and understand why and what you are complaining about. Had any of you taken the two minutes needed to read this mans other two posts you would have seen he claims he is the author as well as saying he would post no more after his cut and paste behavior was pointed out to him by M.T. almost a year ago now.

So not only is he not even a man of his word he has not wanted to say anything here in a year now other than buy my book.

Well at least it was worth a laugh.

Carry on

~T~

#38410 - 05/09/10 10:16 PM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: ta2zz]
William Wright Offline

Ta2zz, my post certainly qualified as amateurish since the book was reviewed, and not written, by Aquino. However, Amazon.com lists the book as written by Ernst Schertel, not J.H. Kelley. Cotum might have stated otherwise in his other posts, but I don’t think most people would bother pulling up someone’s other posts to get a more detailed account – sounds a bit OCD to me.

In any event, from what I’ve seen and what you’ve said, it sounds like the dude is ban-worthy. If Cotum feels otherwise, now might be a good time to speak up.

#38412 - 05/09/10 11:48 PM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: William Wright]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
 Quote:
However, Amazon.com lists the book as written by Ernst Schertel, not J.H. Kelley.

My friend Michael N. Fried translated and edited Book IV of Apollonius of Perga's Conica, yet as you can see, his name does not appear beneath the title as it should, but rather below in the product description. By your logic, the noble Greek must still be publishing. Look a little more closely at what you're talking about before firing off your digital mouth. In the first place, Ernst Schertel originally published his book auf Deutsch in 1923, meaning that an English translation published in 2009 must have been handled by someone else, and in the second, Kelley's name appears in not one but two reviews, one of which is the entire subject of this thread. Your statement above and willful ignorance throughout make it apparent, as if your misattribution of the book's authorship to Dr. Aquino hadn't already, that you never actually bothered to read the review in any detail whatsoever before posting here, or else that your reading comprehension skills lie somewhere between that of a simian and hog shit.

Don't commit the same crime of stupidity as the person you've criticized (a practice known as hypocrisy), leastwise in the same post, by wasting your and other members' time with superfluous garbage. At least COTUM's posted review, while ultimately the same empty dross he has delivered to this forum since he joined it, concerned a fascinating aspect of history and had tangential relevance to something of value. Posting on threads whose subject matter you clearly know nothing about is never going to earn you a great deal of credibility here.

Quote:
Cotum might have stated otherwise in his other posts, but I don’t think most people would bother pulling up someone’s other posts to get a more detailed account – sounds a bit OCD to me.

Members do it all the time, myself included. It's called cross-referencing, and I for one would rather be "a bit OCD" in doing so than demonstrate a propensity to bitch—poorly—about something I didn't even read.

I might be more sympathetic to your argument if COTUM were a long-time member with several hundred posts, but he isn't—he has posted exactly three times on this forum. Is reading the content of three posts, something I and presumably ta2zz took the time to do, really that much to ask? Perhaps the fact that you didn't read even one before posting a vacuous rebuttal provides the most telling answer.

In your own words, "It was a shitty excuse for a post, and you should be ashamed."

Z.

#38421 - 05/10/10 12:19 PM Re: Michael Aquino Reviews ''Magic'' [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
William Wright Offline

Points taken. I should’ve read more carefully before posting, and I will make a conscious effort to do so in the future. Thanks for setting me straight.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.