Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3882 - 02/05/08 10:21 PM Prolonged life or natural death?
Sven Offline
stranger

Current teenagers in high school are now considered to be the first generation to become completely dependent on technology. Within the past 20 years technology has made leaps and bounds. Make computers smaller, faster and portable; from cassette tapes to cd's to iPods and Zunes. Not to mention advancements in beauty products and how you can now alter entire apperances. Natural hair color has become a thing of the past and many people today don't even remember their natural color.

When 1984 was written it was considered a scifi and now it is a possibilty. So considering all this the question is how far do you think will technology go? Will we have so much advanced technology the we will be able to choose our death? This might seem a like a ridiculous scifi like question, but with technology advancing rapidly and a society obessed with aging a beauty, is it really that far fetched?

If you had the choice would, you choose how long you would live or would you stick to the average lifespan?

#3883 - 02/05/08 10:30 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Sven]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Sven
Current teenagers in high school are now considered to be the first generation to become completely dependent on technology. Within the past 20 years technology has made leaps and bounds. Make computers smaller, faster and portable; from cassette tapes to cd's to iPods and Zunes. Not to mention advancements in beauty products and how you can now alter entire apperances. Natural hair color has become a thing of the past and many people today don't even remember their natural color.

When 1984 was written it was considered a scifi and now it is a possibilty. So considering all this the question is how far do you think will technology go? Will we have so much advanced technology the we will be able to choose our death? This might seem a like a ridiculous scifi like question, but with technology advancing rapidly and a society obessed with aging a beauty, is it really that far fetched?

If you had the choice would, you choose how long you would live or would you stick to the average lifespan?

Cyborgation Sven... these microchip shits are just gunna get smaller and smaller. I mean electron based microchips have reached their limit in size, but we've learned how to use Photons now, which means even smaller ones. Its fate. I want me a robot girl who looks like Seven of Nine; god she's hot. Grrr.

~~352~~

#3885 - 02/05/08 10:38 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Sven Offline
stranger

But if they found a way to prolong your life, as long as you wished and phyiscally not aging, would?

#3886 - 02/05/08 10:45 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Sven]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

But if they found a way to prolong your life, as long as you wished and physically not aging, would?

No way Sven! God, what lies behind the curtains of death is life's greatest mystery. Its captivated us humans since our beginning. Only we humans have the ability to know that we are going to dy someday, and to question what comes next. And this mystery has indirectly given birth to every religion we know of.

To live forever for me would be like being stuck on a very good roller coaster ride. This ride has its ups and downs, its twists, and turns... its exciting; but to have it drag on and on forever, on the same ride is hell... and I mean that in a satanically displeasing way.

I personally want to see what happened when we die. I'm a sucker for mystery.

~~352~~

#3889 - 02/05/08 10:57 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Sven Offline
stranger

I'm not saying to live forever but for as long as you want. Living forever would be a curse not an advancement, the prospects of death is a comfort for some and a fear for others. But on the idea of living forever I agree it would take the mystery out of life. Yet as for living longer I don't personally the problem with adding a few years here and there.

#3890 - 02/05/08 11:04 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Sven]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

I'm not saying to live forever but for as long as you want. Living forever would be a curse not an advancement, the prospects of death is a comfort for some and a fear for others. But on the idea of living forever I agree it would take the mystery out of life. Yet as for living longer I don't personally the problem with adding a few years here and there.

Well, ok, I'd live until I was about 150 years old, but only if I could stay a 30-40 year old man until I die; that would be great, every year Sven another girl would turn 18 an legal... but i'm killing myself the minute I get erectile disfunction!

~~352~~

#3892 - 02/05/08 11:13 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Sven Offline
stranger

lol, Oh and deny yourself the possibilty to be a erectile disfunction spokesperson and be in the slightly akward but amusing ED commericals?

#3895 - 02/05/08 11:25 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Sven]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

lol, Oh and deny yourself the possibilty to be a erectile disfunction spokesperson and be in the slightly akward but amusing ED commericals?

LOL! I love those commercials. Those guys say it with such pride and a smile. Can you picture me being the next ED spokes person of the future? "Hi, I'm a hundred and 50 years old, and thanks to nanotech I can now get it up again..."

~~352~~

#3910 - 02/06/08 11:40 AM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
I remember as a child watching the Jettson's with there microwaves that cooked them foods and robots cleaning etc and people laughing about it saying that will never happen. Not only do we have microwaves now but we have robots that clean,cut grass and build cars. Not many of those people are laughing now...

What most people forget is that we create our reality with our thoughts. What one thinks about they create over time. Nothing is to far fetched as long as one puts there minds to it as long as its within the realms of reality.

But if they designed a drug to TRY make you live longer,then you would have to be kept in a controlled environment away from things that cause accidental deaths like cars,drugs,etc.... One thing man/woman can't escape is death no matter what drug they take or how much money they have death is a guarantee...

#3911 - 02/06/08 03:25 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Sven]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Nothing is to far fetched as long as one puts there minds to it as long as its within the realms of reality.

What constitutes the “realms of reality?” though.

For example, some physicist claim, that it it will never be possible to travel faster then the speed of light. However, a few hundred years ago, some also claimed that the human body could not survive speeds of over thirty miles per hour, for a prolonged period of time.

Other respected physicist, come up with such far fetched ideas, as alternate universes, and the like, yet cannot prove them beyond theory, and perhaps mathematical equations.

So, where does the realm of reality stop, and fantasy begin?

Edited by Asmedious (02/06/08 03:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Lousy grammar

#3912 - 02/06/08 06:34 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Asmedious]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
Fantasy begins when one thinks of a way to manipulate the earth's
core materials and make cars,planes,clothes and homes... Everything we see and touch came from the earth's materials. Someone uses there thoughts (fantasy) to bring such things into physical form...

Reality ends when death occurs...

#3913 - 02/06/08 06:57 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Asmedious]
Sven Offline
stranger

I personally I think inorder to consider what is reality you'd have to consider two things. One would be the nature of reality itself, and the second would be the individual and their perspective of reality. I know its preferable among philosophers to question "is real" and "exist" rather then reality as a whole.

When it comes to drawing a line between fantasy and reality, that could depend on the individual, situtation, and society.Going back to the statement saying at one point something that was once demnd impossible has become general knowlegde today. So I would almost attempt to say that, the line is what you see as possible and rather or not a society can accept it.

#3914 - 02/06/08 07:13 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Noc]
Sven Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Noc

What if reality really is the end? When death accours you can't (supposedly) can't deny what the outcome is. Which, in theory, would be the root cause in fearing death.

In death we have no choice but to face reality.

#3919 - 02/06/08 09:40 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: Sven]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Originally Posted By: Noc

What if reality really is the end? When death accours you can't (supposedly) can't deny what the outcome is. Which, in theory, would be the root cause in fearing death.

In death we have no choice but to face reality.

The END being death in my opinion is an mental illusion.

A few scientists did this easy experiment once. They had people sit at a table and place their hands open just underneath the table top in a specially made hole. Then they placed realistic looking hands on top of the table, and do it in a way so that to the eye it appeared as thoe the fake hands were attached to the subjects wrists. Then they tickled the fake hand with feathers, pens, and objects, and all the subjects felt the tickles as if it were their real hand, even thoe they were consciously aware that they were fake hands. This has nothing to do with death, but it has a lot of light to shed on the body, and the mind-body connection.

There is a form of meditation called "finding the I" which I use from time to time. You sit their and ask yourself where in your body is the "I" you refer yourself to; then you break your body and mind down to find it. It's not in any cell, because cells die in the millions each day, and every 11 months every cell in your body is replaced... but the I remains the same. It is not in the neurons, because the brain's cells die daily and thousands of new synaptic connections brake and are made daily... but yet the I remains unchanged... It cannot be the body because the body starts off small, and gradually grows into adulthood, and thoughout the growth the I remains the same. It is not in your memories because your thoughts and memories changes and is added to, and some are forgotten, but yet the I still remains. Take it down further and on an atomic level you are 90 percent emptiness; the distence between one atom and the next become astronomical; is the I within the emptiness or in the atom? But the atoms are made of subatomic particles, each flickers in and out of existence millions of times a second... but even thoe these particles goes in and out of existance the I remains... these subatomic particles are further nothing more than spinning quanta of energy... like Shiva and Shakti dancing... and when that dance stops the swirls and vortex becomes still and returns to the pool of energy it came from... so where are you? Where is the I that you call yourself? How can you be so certain what happend to something which in reality is beyond your comprehension - you: your own self, the "I" whom you are? It is arrogant to claim to know... the same arrogance Christians have when they say they know "God."

~~352~~

#3931 - 02/07/08 07:56 PM Re: Prolonged life or natural death? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Sven Offline
stranger

That is very interesting, I haven't heard of finding the "I". Which is why I should ask before assuming, do you mean "I" in terms of dualism and something along the lines of Descartes theories?

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.