Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#39009 - 06/02/10 03:09 PM Prohibition!
Michael A.Aquino Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
O.K. all you winos, go here and listen to American History 1 (Inebriated). Once the archive is playing, push the counter ahead to about 26 minutes into the show for the segment, which runs the rest of the hour. Is this a great country or what?

As for me, well ...

#39068 - 06/05/10 12:31 AM Re: Prohibition! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
creativevalue Offline
banned
pledge

This is taken from a discussion group in a SUNY postgraduate course that made me think of your post on alcohol use. Not exactly to the point, but I thought you would find the concept interesting.

You (person in discussion) are bringing up an interesting topic that involves the application of morality and information. People need something to grasp, some form of benchmark or ideology to use as a focal point. If you remove that focal point, people make their own focal points which often diverge from societal norms. If people are not given accurate information as to what food is healthy and what food is unhealthy they have no focal point. They will begin to make their own standards by which to determine right and wrong. When the corporations remove morality and ethics replacing them with "profit" and do not give the people the information they need to make ethical decisions, or perhaps give the people misinformation in the form of advertising, the people will make new faux focal points based on corporate misinformation, advertising, and profit. This competes with the morality and ethics that have traditionally guided a healthy diet.

Morning Star

#39076 - 06/05/10 01:03 PM Re: Prohibition! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Michael A.Aquino Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Interesting, but yes, a bit over the head of the KPFA interview, which I mentioned just because I found it both surprising and funny. I had never thought of pre-18th Amendment [male] America as awash in booze, nor the Ku Klux Klan as a major force for temperance, nor of respectable Walgreen's Drugs getting off the ground as a speakeasy. And apparently General Grant was not the only one snocked all the time during the Civil War.

Like Count D., I personally have zero tolerance for alcohol. This was unknown to Anton LaVey at the time of my ordination ceremony, when he gave me the chalice filled with his favorite 101 Wild Turkey. I have vague recollections of being made a Priest of someone or something, but am not quite sure.

#39105 - 06/06/10 11:02 AM Re: Prohibition! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Adversary Offline
pledge

Such an interesting piece. Thanks for that. I love the innocent exclusion of the purpose for Johnny Appleseeds trees while learning these white-washed stories in school, and that stated above with the KKK and all that.
#39441 - 06/20/10 11:36 PM Re: Prohibition! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
creativevalue Offline
banned
pledge

I don't know why they don't just ban or tax half the garbage. I adjusted a good deal of my diet to organic and Kosher foods awhile ago. Where I live they are less expensive, and certainly are healthier. People should have the common sense not to eat or drink what is not good for them. I have long believed that the foods that are sold should be controlled for health reasons. The more I study the issue, the more I move back to the old religious dietary laws, minus modern mass production. Medical research keeps supporting the Kosher dietary laws as a healthier way to eat.

Did you know that the Orthodox Jewish stores in my area are now buying their eggs from the Amish, and are now running their own private dairies? Interesting thought for the future. Yes, the Orthodox Jewish Rabbis, and the Amish are at the forefront of marketing health foods in NY state. Interesting, Religious and medical control of our food supply to make Americans lose weight.

PS: I switched to tahini from peanut butter!!!

Live and Be Healthy!

Morning Star

Edited by creativevalue (06/20/10 11:42 PM)

#39442 - 06/20/10 11:38 PM Re: Prohibition! [Re: Adversary]
creativevalue Offline
banned
pledge

I agree, but I know we both respect education as an important step. Read my latest reply about the health food industry and religious control emerging in NY with the Orthodox Jewish and Amish at the forefront. I noticed it a few years ago.

\:\)

Live and Be Healthy,

Morning Star

Edited by creativevalue (06/20/10 11:42 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.