Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#39052 - 06/04/10 06:34 AM haggling
mattie Offline
pledge

Loc: Lat: 36.081, Lon: -96.179
Greetings all,

I am in the middle east right now, and everything here is price negotiable. Haggling has never been one of my strengths, but I'm learning fast. I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks or scripts for successful haggling?

#39055 - 06/04/10 07:20 AM Re: haggling [Re: mattie]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Enjoy, have fun. \:\)
You can actually do this here in America at flea markets, fairs, and even some small business shops.

Bring small bills, and keep all your money in separate pockets. Know and remember just how much you have in each pocket. This way after you ask a price and begin haggling, you know where to reach for, and how far down you can get them. Never should you bargain down a price, go to pay for it, then ask for a lot of change back, its kinda fucked up to do that.

Never disparage the product, praise it, and the owner for having it, but start low without insulting them, then haggle or bargain up to a more middle ground. If they refuse to come down even a little, say okay, thank you and walk away. There are tons of businesses, and more then likely they will call you back for a second round of haggling.

\:\)
Happy Shopping.

Morgan

#39056 - 06/04/10 08:50 AM Re: haggling [Re: Morgan]
Jake999 Offline

Haggling in a Middle Eastern Bazaar is much different. Morg. It's considered a tradition to haggle and to come to a price that makes both the seller and the buyer happy.

Best advice I can give Mattie is to have fun with it, but always keep smiling and do it with a sense of humor. One of my favorite lines was, "You know that my poor father (may he rest in peace) always wanted me to have one of these before he died.

(The vendor usually says something like, "Oh, I am sorry your father has passed.)

Then you say, "No. He is just resting, but he will be so pleased when I tell him that you gave me this (whatever it is) for such a fair and pleasant price!"

Once you get the hang of it, and you've got the merchant smiling, you can say things like, "Oh, my friend, with prices like this, II think you have children that you want me to send to college!"

#39057 - 06/04/10 11:29 AM Re: haggling [Re: Jake999]
mattie Offline
pledge

Great advice, Jake and Morgan, I'm going to put it into practice immediately.

So far, haggling is the thing I most enjoy about the middle east, I think I'm buying things I don't need just because I enjoy the interaction. This is definitely a skill I need to refine and take back to the states with me.

#39062 - 06/04/10 09:05 PM Re: haggling [Re: mattie]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: mattie
This is definitely a skill I need to refine and take back to the states with me.

Tell me how that works for you at say, Walmart...

~T~

Edited by ta2zz (06/04/10 09:05 PM)
Edit Reason: formatting issue

#39063 - 06/04/10 09:18 PM Re: haggling [Re: ta2zz]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Originally Posted By: mattie
This is definitely a skill I need to refine and take back to the states with me.

~T~

LOL! YOU SONS OF CAMELS!!! How can you sell these cheap baubles for the price of rubies? Wha??? You do it because you can? Whaddaya mean shop somewhere else? The closest store is 45 miles away! Yes sir. I'm sorry. I'll take my underwear now please.

#39070 - 06/05/10 01:41 AM Re: haggling [Re: ta2zz]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
It's missing a button.
It was on the sale rack.
I saw it on the website on sale.
It's in the circular on sale.
It's the same style shirt, I want to pay the same price since this isn't marked/priced.
Can I speak with the manager.
The more often you shop at any business, and they recognize you, they will be more willing to work with you.

Just don't be an asshole, smile, and you can sometimes get anything you want, even when it shouldn't be so.

Morgan

#39072 - 06/05/10 02:12 AM Re: haggling [Re: Morgan]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Morgan
It's missing a button.

Iím sorry miss I will be glad to send it back as damaged merchandise. Was there another one on shelf no? Oh Im sorry I can tell you we get a shipment tonight there should be more out by tomorrow night hopefully.

It was on the sale rack.

Iím sorry it is not a sale item and was just put there by another shopper.

I saw it on the website on sale.

Sorry miss if you read our website it clearly states we do not guarantee prices or availability in all stores.

It's in the circular on sale.

No miss that was last weeks sale it ended Tuesday, today is Saturday.

It's the same style shirt, I want to pay the same price since this isn't marked/priced.

It is a different shirt and if we punch in the SKU here we can see it is a higher priced shirt sorry.

Can I speak with the manager.

*yells across the counter* Hey they wants the man-a-ger. Holds on. *Next*

The more often you shop at any business, and they recognize you, they will be more willing to work with you.
Just don't be an asshole, smile, and you can sometimes get anything you want, even when it shouldn't be so.

There was this one cashier at Comp USA I donít know I was never really an asshole to him. He would always hand me back way too much change many times paying me to walk out of the store with an item.

Damn I miss that store.

~T~

#39073 - 06/05/10 03:32 AM Re: haggling [Re: ta2zz]
mattie Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Haha, fair enough. Fortunately, Wally World is not the only shop in the states.

#39093 - 06/06/10 12:42 AM Re: haggling [Re: mattie]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
No advice, just a bit of commentary.

A few years ago, I saw a show on tv. It was about haggling in the States. I think that there might be a misconception that it cannot be done in bigger more common places. Maybe even Walmart.

The people on the show, would most often ask for a manager, or someone who had enough power to make a deal.

When you think about the fact that very often regular prices are greatly inflated just so that a few weeks down the line the store can have a ďSale,Ē at a lower price, then why canít someone with the authority to do so, let an item go for a ďsaleĒ price, before the official ďbig sale.Ē

Now that I think about it, Iím in the market for my very fist GPS navigation gizmo, and might just try to do a bit of haggling on it in several places, just as an experiment. Maybe I will try Radio shack, since I prefer their costumer service. See if they will at least match or maybe even beat the price of the same item at Walmart.

In the past on a few occasions I did have ďSales Associates,Ē try to sell me something for less then the marked price, even without asking them for a deal.

Also, haggling doesnít have to be simply for a lower price. One might try to get additional related items at a discount. Perhaps if one buys an MP 3 player they might consider asking if the store will throw in a card for some extra downloads.

I think if people tried to haggle in this economy they might be pleasantly surprised. Especially if itís in a place where they are already known as a return costumer.

#39096 - 06/06/10 01:20 AM Re: haggling [Re: Asmedious]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Asmedious

I think if people tried to haggle in this economy they might be pleasantly surprised. Especially if itís in a place where they are already known as a return costumer.

Good point As. As a businessman, I would always entertain an offer that is fair, allows me to restock and maintain a bit of a profit. Items on the shelf are always inflated, with the exception of "loss leaders," which are items that lure people into the store with their low price, often lower than other stores, with the idea that since the person is there anyway, they might as well pick up a few things they want or need.

But if you offer me a fair compensation for an item I have in stock, one can usually knock SOMETHING off the cost.

#39108 - 06/06/10 02:08 PM Re: haggling [Re: Asmedious]
mattie Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
Also, haggling doesnít have to be simply for a lower price. One might try to get additional related items at a discount.

This is very useful advice, just yesterday I was attempting to negotiate a price with a US company, via email. They weren't so keen on lowering the price, but I got a bunch of free extras and add-ons just for the asking.

I also felt like I built a good rapport with the business owner, which could prove beneficial for the both of us in the future.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.