Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#43843 - 10/26/10 10:40 PM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: Lamar]
Jake999 Offline

Look... it's not that hard.

LaVey simply meant if you are a Satanist, you were born with the instinct for those tendencies and attributes that are conducive to an acceptance of Satanism.

It does NOT mean you will pop out of the womb as a Satanist.
It does NOT mean you will be born with some esoteric knowledge of Satanism.
It simply means that those born "carrying the gene" for Satanism will be better able to display those attributes that one might expect of a Satanist.

If you are never exposed to the term Satanist, you MIGHT call yourself something else that is roughly equivalent in your culture. Or, you might just go with the flow of whatever societal mores and cultural expectancies your parents present you with... you might feel "something is missing," or, just as possibly, you might live your life happy as a clam, or you could have the "something is missing" idea and sublimate it to fit in with your cultural group.

If you never read the Satanic Bible, you still will be born possessing the propensities to exhibit similar those you'll find in the book and quite possibly echo some of the concepts in the book coinciding with the cultural equivalencies you live with.

It's that simple. Think of it as having the gene for red hair. Genetically, you can get red hair if the factors fall into place. This does not mean you will HAVE to be born with red hair. It simply means you are genetically predisposed to that trait.

If you are genetically predisposed to those traits one might expect in a Satanist, you MAY develop them, if other factors fall into place. That does not mean you HAVE to become a Satanist, or that you automatically will think of yourself as a Satanist. It simply means that your are genetically predisposed to that trait.

Edited by Jake999 (10/26/10 10:43 PM)

#43847 - 10/27/10 03:44 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: Jake999]
TheInsane Offline

Originally Posted By: Fnord
As for interpretation & dogma, I'll defer to Dr. Aquino who said that much of TSB is polemical in nature (8:48 in this video, if you're interested). I think most who find their way to TSB understand that it wasn't ever meant to be a road map for life but, rather, a fiery little tome meant to inspire the carnal being inside.

TSB is polemic for sure but when Aquino claims that the quote in question in this video should not be taken literally one cannot help but feel that it creates a big hole in what is supposed to be Satanism. I can see how Satanism is not taken literally with some practitioners who only use it as a step on the ladder towards something else. However if one is serious about it and has considered oneself a Satanist, in the LaVeyan sense of the word, for a long time I cant see how one can deny the meaning of a quote like the one brought up in the Geraldo tv-special.

Quote:
I'm not looking to pick your answer apart... just curious as to what you're referring to, specifically, here.

Well, I haven’t read TSB in years now so I can’t point to specifics. However I was never a magician. I never believed in its powers other than as a means to transform your own outlook on life – just like any other action does. Clearly LaVey put a lot of importance on “higher magic”. Half of TSB is dedicated to it and that part was always alien to me. I feel no need for ritual or ceremony in this regard and it was always an aspect of Satanism that I had no connection to whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: Lamar
And what do you mean that anyone cannot feel truly at home being a Satanist? I feel "at home" like never before.

Satanism is not for everyone and everyone cannot feel at home with the philosophy. Sometimes I come across the feeling with other Satanists that if only people would accept their “true nature” they would identify with Satanic philosophy. I do not see it that way. I don’t think there is one true nature in human beings and that it is the same for all. We all definitely share traits, some major and some minor, but I do not feel like Satanism corresponds to the core nature of mankind. It does to some men but not to everyone. For other people other approaches are more suitable.

Originally Posted By: Jake999

It does NOT mean you will pop out of the womb as a Satanist.
It does NOT mean you will be born with some esoteric knowledge of Satanism.
It simply means that those born "carrying the gene" for Satanism will be better able to display those attributes that one might expect of a Satanist. . .

. . .It's that simple. Think of it as having the gene for red hair. Genetically, you can get red hair if the factors fall into place. This does not mean you will HAVE to be born with red hair. It simply means you are genetically predisposed to that trait.

If you are genetically predisposed to those traits one might expect in a Satanist, you MAY develop them, if other factors fall into place. That does not mean you HAVE to become a Satanist, or that you automatically will think of yourself as a Satanist. It simply means that your are genetically predisposed to that trait.

Agreed and well said. Now I’m waiting for the scientists to find “the satanic gene” \:D

#43850 - 10/27/10 09:53 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: TheInsane]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: TheInsane

TSB is polemic for sure but when Aquino claims that the quote in question in this video should not be taken literally one cannot help but feel that it creates a big hole in what is supposed to be Satanism.

It's not a call to arms for the strong to exterminate the weak. It's a metaphor for stratification and the truth of the power philosophy and meant to impart just that.

TSB deals with very real foundational topics, but it does so in an artistic way. Understanding the work isn't purely an exercise of the mind. To me, trying out the rituals and getting into that space where you are not thinking and analyzing everything is key to development.

This conversation is beginning to remind me of the time last year when my son had to read Great Expectations for school. The teachers had the class picking apart the work looking for symbolism, looking for parts of speech, analyzing the story to death and so much so that it killed it for many including my son. Dickens didn't give a shit about symbolism or what a spot of soot could possibly represent to the whole of the story. He was just writing from that place where all good art and writing comes from.

I don't think TSB was ever meant to be critically picked apart and all meaning analyzed to death. It's a book for the heart and the mind and will make perfect sense to its intended audience.

Edited by Fnord (10/27/10 09:54 AM)

#46392 - 01/10/11 11:37 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: Fnord]
hellbeliever Offline
banned
stranger

Does anyone know how many pages
#46395 - 01/10/11 11:41 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: hellbeliever]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Here's an idea: Open the book and see for yourself.

And another one: Don't ask stupid questions. Despite what you may have been told by others, there is such a thing as a stupid question.

#46398 - 01/10/11 11:43 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
hellbeliever Offline
banned
stranger

Does anyone know how many satans there are?
#46403 - 01/10/11 11:47 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: hellbeliever]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: hellbeliever
Does anyone know how many satans there are?

Currently there is a potential of 6,892,658,795 Satans.

#46405 - 01/10/11 11:48 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: Autodidact]
hellbeliever Offline
banned
stranger

just kidding. I like to know what does satanic "bible" says anything about hell of fire there.

On youtube you can hear many things about satan and hell (mary K baxter)

#46406 - 01/10/11 11:50 AM Re: A Synopsis of the Satanic Bible [Re: hellbeliever]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Hellbeliever, I have never said this to anyone online but there's a first time for everything. You are an IDIOT! GO AWAY.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.