Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#39114 - 06/06/10 05:49 PM Ready for a Good Cry?
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If you're like me, you have some favorite songs that you never listen to because they always reduce you to a slobbering mess. I don't even know how the singers & musicians can get through them without breaking down.

Anyway, here are some of my never-listen-tos if you're feeling masochistic:

Colors of the Wind, Vanessa Williams

Greenwaves, Secret Garden

My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion

Song of the Seahorse, Miriam Stockley.

Feed the Birds, Julie Andrews

Into The West, Annie Lennox

and the emotional zinger of them all:

Bright Eyes, Simon & Garfunkel

And if you want an entire album to bum you out, try Joanie's Baptism. Here's a sample.

Or if you're just feeling sorry for yourself, Old Blue Eyes' Only the Lonely [including his classic rendition of that Anton Phibes & Anton LaVey favorite "One for my Baby"].

I'm not sure if anyone's going to thank me for this post, but you were too happy today anyway ...

#39116 - 06/06/10 06:06 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Meq Offline
Banned

Not terribly 'satanic', but here you go - and the first MP3 I ever downloaded back in 1998:
Angels, Robbie Williams

Despite being a Christmas classic in the UK, this also begs for a mention here:
Walking In The Air, Howard Blake, sung by Peter Auty

And don't forget this classic number:
If We Hold On Together, James Horner, sung by Diana Ross

Meq

#39117 - 06/06/10 06:11 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Well, I will freely admit that sometimes I get a little misty when I hear Taps being played across the street at a GI's or Vet's funeral...

But within the mainstream, there's only one song that seems to hit me that way (so far), and I avoid it like the plague. I won't even play it on my show because I would have to hear it when compiling the show or monitoring the station.

On Three Dog Night's album HARD LABOR, there is a song called "I'd be so Happy." Ironic. There's a line in the song that rips my heart from my chest every time I hear it, and just writing it gets me...

"Once in a while, twenty years from now,
after all we've been through,
I could tell you by one caress,
That it's been good being loved by you."

Damn, I hate that song.

You can hear it here: I'd Be So Happy

#39119 - 06/06/10 06:31 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Anne Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
This might seem odd, but the one song that makes my all fuzzed and disarmed is "Lovely, you're lovely" by Brandom M. Dennis aka. Oxhorn.. A world of warcraft movie creator.. Non the less, this song is just soooo cute *sigh*

http://www.youtube.com/user/oxhorn?blend=2&ob=4#p/u/18/SclcvAE6cu0

#39154 - 06/07/10 11:27 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
While just about everything Sarah McLachlan sings is sad, the song of hers that gets to me most is “In The Arms Of An Angel”. It’s especially sad on the TV commercial accompanying video footage of animals that have been abused. At least she’s using the song to drum up financial support for an organization that helps those animals. Pity can be a powerful, though often unwelcome, motivator.

As for Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On”, that song doesn’t make me sad. It makes me angry. I want to punch her in the mouth for singing something so incredibly annoying.

#39196 - 06/08/10 04:44 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: William Wright]
Anne Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
Came to think about it, a song that really puts a rock in my chest is the song from Evanescene - My Immortal, especially after it was put in a very strong movie that promotes driving safely.. Just makes a chill through my body when she hit the high, clear tones..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwh_nM4wtrg

#39198 - 06/08/10 05:11 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Anne]
Phobos Offline
pledge

Loc: France
Well, well, well... Terry Reid's To Be Treated Rite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C959v_3SSKo) almost moves me. The other nice one is Nick Drake's Day is done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxjv0HkwM). I quite like them, you know: first, you feel good; then, you just want to slit your wrists. It's so 21st century.

#39307 - 06/13/10 11:06 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Anne]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Anne
Came to think about it, a song that really puts a rock in my chest is the song from Evanescene - My Immortal, especially after it was put in a very strong movie that promotes driving safely.. Just makes a chill through my body when she hit the high, clear tones..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwh_nM4wtrg

That song is powerful enough all on it's own. I couldn't watch the video. I didn't get past the Jeep. I know those things happen for real, I don't need to see them in a video like that.

Good new: She's got a new release coming out this fall. She's got a powerful voice and I can't wait to hear what she's produced this time around.

#39553 - 06/25/10 07:20 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Nyte]
mattie Offline
pledge

Loc: Lat: 36.081, Lon: -96.179
This is a fun post.

After serving in the infantry, and then in my unit honor guard, nothing pulls the tears out of me like the haunting echo of Taps at a soldier's funeral.

As far as popular music goes, I had heard this song a hundred times with no effect, and though I can't tell you why, I cried like a baby when I heard it played live. Since then it's always stuck with me.

"Papa Was a Rodeo" by The Magnetic Fields

#39556 - 06/26/10 12:10 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Good thread actually.

Having put a few of my friends in the ground, I rarely make it through these at a military funeral:

Amazing Grace Bagpipes

Minstrel Boy by Joe Strummer

#39557 - 06/26/10 12:49 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Fist]
Jake999 Offline

For my Father's Day Special on Dark Ryde, I had meant to play The Last Song Between a Father and a Son by Elton John. I was asked by someone not to play it because his father had just recently died and his emotions were still too raw to handle it. So instead, I opted for MY DAD by Paul Peterson.

But here's The Last Song between A Father and A Son by Elton John.
Last Song Between A Father And A Son

#39678 - 06/29/10 01:03 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Jake999]
NeoZombie Offline
pledge

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Thank You. I like to creating the illusion of suffrage just so I may experience a relative elevation within. Music is a great medium of being.

#39679 - 06/29/10 01:21 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: NeoZombie]
Little Horn Offline
stranger

Loc: Colorado
If there ever was a song that could bring me to tears, it would be "Underground" by Voltaire. It's a depressing, strangely beautiful folk song about a child's suicide and the effects on his family.

If you're in for a few tears, here it is: "Underground" - Voltaire

I'm usually not into that kind of music, but Voltaire seems to get a bulls-eye wherever he aims, and in that song, he aims to make you choke.

#39822 - 07/02/10 06:33 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Here are a few, there are reasons that some of these get to me, others, not so much:

Fade Into You

Thirty-Three

In the Shadow of the Valley of Death

Dust in the Wind

Bro-Hymn

Making Believe

#40003 - 07/05/10 10:25 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have one song that just kicks my ass. It's " Fade to Black " by Metallica. With the recent passing of my father it has brought on entirely new meaning to me. The day of his funeral I was listening to the song while sitting in my car as everyone else started to gather around the burial site. Unbeknownst to me the entire family could hear the song loud and clear even though I had the windows rolled up... gave me a bit of a huge inner smile when I got the news.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.