Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#40109 - 07/10/10 02:39 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton is pretty rough.

Aerosmith's "Hole in my Soul" is pretty overwhelming, as is "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing."

I'm going to admit something kind of embarrassing here and admit I've cried to "Coma White." It just hit me when I was already in an especially tender mood; normally it wouldn't get to me that much.

Annie Lennox's "No More I Love You's" got me once when I was performing to it, and I was told to project my grief onstage. I took it a little far.

Any song that's particularly somber, even if the subject matter isn't necessarily sad, always gets to me.

Yes, that darned Titanic song got me, too, but in my defense it came out when I was really young and impressionable.

#40315 - 07/15/10 10:29 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
For my input:
Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde by Dimmu Borgir. The original version appeared on their first album For All Tid but I prefer the re-released version because the piano captures the atmosphere. Beautiful song. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmJHKITeMs

#40374 - 07/17/10 12:20 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Good call on Sinatra's "Only for the Lonely". The whole album is great, but that song in particular is great. It's probably the first album by Sinatra that I really got into.

6satan6archist6 mentioned "Dust in the Wind" already, but I'm seconding it.

Also, Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle is a powerfully beautiful song, and he was a hell of a guitar player to boot.

I have to have at least one ballad in here, no? So, here is a song by W.A.S.P. (We Are Sexual Perverts, not White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) from their album The Crimson Idol. Hold On To My Heart

Anathema are a band very close to my heart, from their early days of classic British doom metal, to their more Pink Floyd/Radiohead inspired rock. This song was written for and dedicated to the mother of Vincent and Danny Cavanaugh, who had passed away before the release of the band's 1999 album Judgement. Many people stupidly mistake it for a breakup song (just read the comments on the youtube videos), but it is assuredly a song of mourning. The song is called One Last Goodbye
[There are a few videos of them playing this song live, and I'm disappointed to say that in none of them are they able to pull it off (especially the vocalist). I suppose it's understandable, considering the emotions it must bring to the surface.]

This next one isn't a song, it's a piece of instrumental music. The Adagio movement of Joaquin Rodrigo's (1901-1999) "Concierto de Aranjuez" for guitar and orchestra is one of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful pieces of music I've heard ever. It is played here by Narcisco Yepes. He is playing a 10-string guitar (which is not required by this piece, but Yepes was a 10-string guy; a 10-string is especially helpful in playing Baroque repertoire, especially stuff written for lute. This piece, however, is not from the Baroque period). I chose this particular video for Yepes' interpretation (which is, in my opinion, fairly unique), but I definitely encourage those who are interested to find interpretations of the piece by other performers.

Enjoy!

Homo Homini Lupus

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.