Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#40109 - 07/10/10 02:39 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Austin, TX
"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton is pretty rough.

Aerosmith's "Hole in my Soul" is pretty overwhelming, as is "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing."

I'm going to admit something kind of embarrassing here and admit I've cried to "Coma White." It just hit me when I was already in an especially tender mood; normally it wouldn't get to me that much.

Annie Lennox's "No More I Love You's" got me once when I was performing to it, and I was told to project my grief onstage. I took it a little far.

Any song that's particularly somber, even if the subject matter isn't necessarily sad, always gets to me.

Yes, that darned Titanic song got me, too, but in my defense it came out when I was really young and impressionable.

#40315 - 07/15/10 10:29 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
For my input:
Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde by Dimmu Borgir. The original version appeared on their first album For All Tid but I prefer the re-released version because the piano captures the atmosphere. Beautiful song. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmJHKITeMs

#40374 - 07/17/10 12:20 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Good call on Sinatra's "Only for the Lonely". The whole album is great, but that song in particular is great. It's probably the first album by Sinatra that I really got into.

6satan6archist6 mentioned "Dust in the Wind" already, but I'm seconding it.

Also, Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle is a powerfully beautiful song, and he was a hell of a guitar player to boot.

I have to have at least one ballad in here, no? So, here is a song by W.A.S.P. (We Are Sexual Perverts, not White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) from their album The Crimson Idol. Hold On To My Heart

Anathema are a band very close to my heart, from their early days of classic British doom metal, to their more Pink Floyd/Radiohead inspired rock. This song was written for and dedicated to the mother of Vincent and Danny Cavanaugh, who had passed away before the release of the band's 1999 album Judgement. Many people stupidly mistake it for a breakup song (just read the comments on the youtube videos), but it is assuredly a song of mourning. The song is called One Last Goodbye
[There are a few videos of them playing this song live, and I'm disappointed to say that in none of them are they able to pull it off (especially the vocalist). I suppose it's understandable, considering the emotions it must bring to the surface.]

This next one isn't a song, it's a piece of instrumental music. The Adagio movement of Joaquin Rodrigo's (1901-1999) "Concierto de Aranjuez" for guitar and orchestra is one of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful pieces of music I've heard ever. It is played here by Narcisco Yepes. He is playing a 10-string guitar (which is not required by this piece, but Yepes was a 10-string guy; a 10-string is especially helpful in playing Baroque repertoire, especially stuff written for lute. This piece, however, is not from the Baroque period). I chose this particular video for Yepes' interpretation (which is, in my opinion, fairly unique), but I definitely encourage those who are interested to find interpretations of the piece by other performers.

Enjoy!

Homo Homini Lupus

#119401 - 06/13/19 10:10 PM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: Draculesti]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Aight, I know I already posted nine years ago, but I've got one to add that I simply cannot neglect.

"The Way" by Fastball

The song is quintessentially Austin, Texas, from the twang of Spanish guitar to the urban alt-rock to the peak 90's post-grunge, all woven together.

The song alone is haunting enough, but knowing the backstory really pushes me over the edge.

In June 1997, Lela and Raymond Howard, an elderly and mentally infirm married couple, left their home in Salado, Texas to attend the Pioneer Day festival in Temple, Texas. They disappeared.

The song writes them a happy ending: they decided to ride off into the sunset together, recapturing the passion of their youth on a romantic impulse.

The truth was darker. The Howards' car was discovered at the base of a cliff off a winding road, well off their route, with them dead inside.

The song is heartbreaking because the "happy ending" in the song is impossibly perfect. Just listening to the heavenly scenario described in the chorus, one can't help but see the lie, even without knowing the backstory behind the song. It's as blatantly appeasing as, "Your dog went to go chase rabbits on a farm." It's a punch to the gut.

The music video hints at the truth. Some shots are bright and vibrant; warm reds and yellows are emphasized in the uplifting chorus. But the verses, more somber and ambiguous, are cast in cold blues. It's quite similar in style to Guillermo del Toro, who frequently features a tragic ending in cold tones with an ambiguous alternative happy ending that's seeped in clear fantasy and rich warm light.

Near the end of the music video, the guitarist leaps off a roof, and is shown falling down for a long, foreboding moment of silence, only to be shown a second later lying on his back on the hood of a car, playing his guitar unharmed. It's a subtle nod to the impossibility of the scenario they've painted where everything is just too perfect to be true.

If you want to get me bawling, put this on.

#119403 - 06/14/19 12:24 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: XiaoGui17]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Ca
Really?

Whether they were able to remember who each other were they grasped enough lucidity to top themselves.

Hunter Thompson did this after he could no longer handle being a swiss cheese headed invalid at age 67. He insisted everyone attend a dinner, was unusally outgoing during, excused himself, and went and shot himself in the head.

I feel like Willam Black in Clerks/Mallrats, "Thats beautiful, Man"

A beautiful way to go out, as opposed to offing yourself, leaving behind 6 goddamn kids because your secret boyfriend killed himself.
11:56 PM July, 1st 2019
Wrote Signature

#119405 - 06/14/19 06:06 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: CanisMachina42]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: CanisMachina42
Really?

Whether they were able to remember who each other were they grasped enough lucidity to top themselves.
I've heard it suggested before that it was deliberate, but it seems far more likely to me that this was a case of an elderly woman with dementia forgetting what she was doing, either not seeing the curve in the road or dozing off behind the wheel, and accidentally driving over a cliff.

There were various signs that dementia was the cause, such as:
Their calendar was open to the wrong date.
They abandoned their cat. (They had an adult son who lived right nextdoor to them, with whom they easily could've left their cat if they intended not to return.)
They spent a couple weeks wandering around missing while there was what was essentially a "silver alert" out for them (before there was such a thing as a silver alert.)
When a deputy in Arkansas pulled Lela Howard over for not having her headlights on, she told him she was going back to Texas. He told her she was headed in the wrong direction.

To clarify (just realized I wrote my last post wrong on one point): Raymond Howard was found dead inside the car. Lela Howard climbed out and crawled away after the accident, taking her purse with her, and was found a distance from the car. That doesn't seem to me like someone who decided "fuck it all" and drove deliberately over the edge. That seems like a confused, elderly woman who was seeking help after an accident.

There are quicker, cleaner, and easier ways to kill oneself than driving over a cliff. (Edit to add: And if you're gonna go the cliff route, you'd choose one that was steeper to make sure of it, no?)

Edited by XiaoGui17 (06/14/19 06:26 AM)

#119407 - 06/15/19 12:53 AM Re: Ready for a Good Cry? [Re: XiaoGui17]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Ca
I knew it was a "ripped from the headlines" song, but had initially heard it happened in Pennsylvania, and it was more literal to the song. They abandoned 3 children, were in their late 30's, and just didn't want to "adult" anymore.

But that is somewhat sad. Dementia is fucked. No point to life at that point, like post-lobotomy and the Chief is suffocating your ass.

11:56 PM July, 1st 2019
Wrote Signature

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.061 seconds of which 0.042 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.