Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#41391 - 08/03/10 07:19 PM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: William Wright]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: William Wright
Dr. Aquino, I noticed a pattern. From JFK on, you liked all the short-term presidents (JFK, LBJ, Ford, Carter and Bush Sr.) but disliked those who got reelected (Nixon; Reagan; Clinton; Bush Jr.; and Obama, who will get reelected unless some nut job takes him out first).

Coinkydink, or do you think there’s something to it? If the long-termers have been so consistently ill-equipped to lead as you suggest, why do we keep reelecting them?

Nonboatrocker & gameplayers tend to get reelected; that's well-established in USA politics. Plus if you seem to be a stable, known quantity, like Ike, people will tend to trust you for another 4 instead of an unknown quantity.

#41441 - 08/04/10 02:49 PM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Fnord, I’ll take that bet. If Obama has shown himself to be adept at anything, it’s campaigning. For him to come out of nowhere with his paper-thin resume and knock Hillary off her throne was nothing short of amazing. As for the ex-mayor of Houston not wanting to be seen with Obama in Texas…well, it’s Texas, one of the reddest states in the country. For the ex-mayor to have any chance of winning, he’ll have to somehow convince voters there that he’s not as liberal as you say he is. I guarantee you that after the election, he’ll be kissing Obama’s ass like all the other good Democrats.

Dr. Aquino, I would hardly call Bush Jr. a nonboatrocker. The guy made a gutsy move by invading Iraq. It just happened to be a disastrously bad gutsy move.

#41444 - 08/04/10 03:31 PM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: William Wright]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Dr. Aquino, I would hardly call Bush Jr. a nonboatrocker. The guy made a gutsy move by invading Iraq. It just happened to be a disastrously bad gutsy move.

W was a Cheney gameplayer who got nonelected & nonreelected because both Gore and Kerry fell on their swords in the semifinals.

Right now my forecast is for Obama to be reelected because he's a pretty face and a good orator, which is all that is needed these days. Also I don't see any Republican on the horizon with any presence, personality, or charisma. Of course Obama came out of nowhere, so between now and 2012 perhaps the Rs can pull a rabbit out of their hat too.

Basically the Democrats have more popular appeal because they're in favor of the welfare state, all the more so since the recession has screwed so many people.

The Republicans are more selfish, but more of them actually vote. Also they tend to get the religious knuckledragger vote.

Staging another 9/11 won't do anyone any good because both parties are already heavily pro-war.

Is this a great country or what?

#41462 - 08/05/10 09:19 AM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I suspect that W's invasion of Iraq had more to do with him wanting to avenge his father by taking out Saddam Hussein than anything Cheney said. However, you make a good point about Gore and Kerry. One has to wonder what the world would be like today if Gore had become president. A kinder, gentler place?

#41474 - 08/05/10 01:49 PM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: William Wright]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

I suspect that W's invasion of Iraq had more to do with him wanting to avenge his father by taking out Saddam Hussein than anything Cheney said.

Bush Sr. didn't need any "avenging". He kicked Iraq's ass out of Kuwait, then left it in place as a regional, secular, and effective counterweight to Iran (which his son brilliantly wrecked, changing Iraq into a political & religious satellite of Iran, the more so once American forces leave).

W invaded Iraq because Israel considered it a priority target for its active support of the Palestinians and credible, within-range military threat. Israel now wants the USA to do the same thing to Iran, but so far we have not obeyed [because we're all entangled in Afghanistan & Pakistan, which are not of Israeli concern]. It is not in Israel's interests to get itself into a war with any nation which can do it serious damage, of course.

International Relations (my primary doctoral field) requires "tracing currents back" as much as identifying purely-present-day positions, scenarios, policies, or bombast. Thus one cannot look at the Mideast, any more than Vietnam or WW2, as just a "snapshot-start" where it pleases "your side". People worldwide rarely commence expensive, dangerous things just for the hell of it like Xerxes in 300.

Quote:
However, you make a good point about Gore and Kerry. One has to wonder what the world would be like today if Gore had become president. A kinder, gentler place?

I think Gore would have been much like Carter or Ford, and not invaded any other countries.

#41484 - 08/05/10 03:46 PM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

All the more reason for the US to tell Israel to fuck off and fight its own battles. The more we support Israel, the more the rest of the Middle East is going to hate us. If they want to blow each other up, fuck it, let em. Then we can move in after they are all gone and build a giant parking lot with gas stations everywhere.

#41595 - 08/08/10 02:21 AM Re: Aquino's Presidential Preferences [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
That would be great, except that we have been letting Israel suckle our teat since WWII and for some reason we have continued to allow this non-country to have rights, privileges, and a voice that it shouldn't have. We gave them land that was taken from others, we gave them food, clothing and weapons, trained their military, and continue to play the thug on their behalf. I have to wonder how much it is costing us in direct and indirect funds to support Israel.

As far as Jr. and Sr. go, I don't think it was so much that he was trying to "finish what daddy started". I think it was more that Jr. was worried that he wouldn't be seen as the bigshot that he imagined his daddy was (personally, I think dad was mediocre at best and Jr. never even climbed that high in my personal opinion) and the one memorable event that he could revive was Desert Storm. That was Sr.'s baby (I wont go so far as to say his legacy, though that might be accurate as well), and pretty much the only thing that Jr. could use to attempt to show that he had bigger balls than his dad.

I said this 8 years ago, in the very first post I ever made here, and I will say it again: I think we should just turn the whole fuckin' wasteland into a sheet of glass and move on.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.