Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#39260 - 06/12/10 02:31 AM Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County
School Bully Offline

Loc: Melbourne

A state prison inmate who filed a $10 million federal lawsuit against Yellowstone County alleging interference with his satanic religious beliefs has agreed to settle the case for $50.

Deputy County Attorney Kevin Gillen said the inmate, Jason Paul Indreland, has accepted the county’s offer that includes the cash amount and a commitment to review how jail inmate requests are processed at the Yellowstone County Detention Facility.

Indreland filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in 2008 while incarcerated at the county jail on pending felony drug charges. The lawsuit alleged he was illegally denied a satanic medallion he claimed was a “protective symbol,” denied access to a “Satanic Bible” or “Book of Satanic Rituals,” that jail staff placed Christian greeting cards under his cell door, and that he was held in maximum security due to his religious beliefs.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/cr...1cc4c002e0.html

#39268 - 06/12/10 07:13 AM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: School Bully]
Meq Offline
Banned

Interesting:

Quote:
[Deputy] Gillen said the county agreed to review jail inmate request procedures because the basis for denying Indreland’s request for satanic literature was not fully explained to him. Such literature is not allowed in prisons and jails across the country, Gillen said, because it promotes violence.

Presumably the "If a man smite thee on one cheek, SMASH him on the other!" line is partly the reason for this state of affairs. Yet the Christian Bible is permitted with its bloody Old Testament endorsing not only brutal vigilantism; but slavery, genocide, rape and pillage? Hmm...

I wonder if things would have been different if he'd have asked for some Nietzsche or Rand instead? Redbeard would probably have been out of the question (being both violent and racist).

The article doesn't say if he has any affiliation with the Church of Satan, but if so, Gilmore and co aren't renowned for much sympathy for those behind bars. Their stance is likely to be "he's not a Satanist, we are law abiding" - as with some other Satanic groups and individual Satanists.

#39271 - 06/12/10 10:33 AM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Meq]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Quote:
“As an authorized spokesperson and member of the clergy of the Church of Satan I am writing to respond to the articles about the inmate suing the prison in order to be allowed to practice “Satanism.” It is important to note that the Church of Satan prohibits all illegal activity, and only very rarely supports any criminal’s request for membership. In my tenure with the organization I have seen several members excommunicated for illegal activity, and not a single inmate granted membership.

In this case the criminal deserves no assistance from the Church of Satan, nor will the organization support his alleged rights. If he is looking for forgiveness and welcome he’d do better by the Christian religions that practice mercy—we don’t.

As far as the Church of Satan is concerned this inmate is not a Satanist and we will not have our religion attached to such a ridiculous and shameful attempt at avoiding responsibility. Our rules are clear. He has broken them. Now he must face the consequences”.

As usual, the CoS, in one way or another, is always quick to keep the evil a bay. Houseniggery ain't easy.

D.

#39272 - 06/12/10 11:53 AM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Diavolo]
Jake999 Offline

Houseniggery has nothing to do with it.

From day one, people who join the Church of Satan know that they will not be supported in ANY illegal activity. You do the crime, YOU do the time. Responsibility to the responsible.

You simply can't get by with "the devil made me do it" as an excuse.

Of course, many still try. Kind of cowardly to my way of thinking.

Aside from that, why the hell should The Church of Satan help someone who is NOT a member of the organization? That simply makes no sense. Try running to the ONA or the MCOS or the JOS or any other organization when YOU fuck up your life and end up in jail. Yeah. I know... they'll come to your aid and... bullshit.

#39273 - 06/12/10 12:10 PM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Jake999]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

But of course it is Jake.

First, and correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't read anything about the guy asking the CoS for assistance. Second, neither did I read anything about him blaming satan for his crime or trying to avoid his responsibility. All I read is him wanting to have access to material considering his religion. Now mind you, I personally don't see the need in having these books or his protective amulet and consider anyone not being able to survive without them as being weak to begin with but that is besides the subject.

What is so blatantly obvious is how scared the CoS is of getting a bad reputation in society. Seriously, don't declare yourself a satanist that is above human society and their moralistic approach on things and then be afraid that someone might consider you bad. Why would they even care about the opinions of others? You know why? Because it is houseniggery. They need to remain in some safe zone to stay accepted and/or tolerated by their society. They never broke free of it; they're dogs on a leash allowed to bark.

D.

#39274 - 06/12/10 12:50 PM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Diavolo]
Jake999 Offline

Yeah, there's nothing better than having an organization populated by dopers, criminals and freaks who just can't make it in society, so instead of a "goodguy badge," they invent a "lookit me, I'm some kinda societal misfit" badge. Either is pretty ridiculous, because if you have to yell it to sell it, you're pretty much just showing off.

I'm not saying that squeaky clean is what one should be. Hell, I'm not. I've pulled my weapon in a restaurant when someone said that they wanted to attack LaVey. Witnesses or not, I'd have blown their ass away. Had I done it, I would have stood up and taken the heat, without bringing my membership in the Church into it. My deeds, my responsibility. But neither am I saying I want someone around me with a rap sheet 20 pages long, giving the authorities a reason to look into my books. Only a fool invites scrutiny from those who could take them down with a pen.

#39275 - 06/12/10 01:03 PM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Jake999]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Oh but I agree.

That's the very problem any organization will encounter when going public, especially when they are hostile towards the very environment they are situated in. When Satanism went public during the Lavey period, they could not else but have a moral agenda which pleases society just enough to let them survive. If you go public with anything, and you don't suffer a martyr syndrome, you have to become a housenigger. The society you live in and their hostility towards anything heterodox defines just how much of a housenigger one has to become. If one is willing to start a public satanic organization in let's say Pakistan, I'm pretty sure it has to be adapted severely towards their culture or they'd be hanging at forklifts very quickly. Avoiding this is only possible when remaining in secrecy. And it is in this secrecy someone can truly unfold their potential.

Of course all have their views upon what Satanism is; from the kids that think they can shoot laser-beams from their eyes up to any other sector in it. In their reality they are of course all right and theirs makes most sense. But this also includes there are others that realize that one can take things a step further and go where others can't or don't dare. As such, they often become heterodox even to other Satanists.

D.

#40093 - 07/09/10 07:53 AM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: School Bully]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Any person could make a legitimate case to have their religious beliefs coddled while in prison. It's America, after all.

However, we can't guarantee that you won't make yourself look like a total idiot in the process.

#40101 - 07/09/10 10:12 PM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Diavolo]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: Diavolo
When Satanism went public during the Lavey period, they could not else but have a moral agenda which pleases society just enough to let them survive. If you go public with anything, and you don't suffer a martyr syndrome, you have to become a housenigger.

Originally Posted By: Urban Dictionary

1) house nigger 502 up, 73 down

A black person that does their best to please white people even if it means disowning their own racial identity.

I wouldn't say that the CoS does its best to please the Christian majority to the extent of disowning their own identity as Satanists. They merely don't endorse actions or individuals that they don't feel represent their concept of Satanism.

The exact opposite of house-niggery is, of course, becoming a living minstrel show, making a concerted effort to live up to every stereotype of your demographic to the best of your ability in order to "prove" how well you fit the label. This would be equally ridiculous, and no more amounts to "keeping it real" than the inverse. Are we supposed to drink goat's blood and listen to nothing but death metal in order to prove to everyone how Satanic we are?

Or here's a sensible third option: State your principles and stick to them, and clarify what they are when questions or controversies arise. If society happens to agree, great; you're not going to change them to "stand out." If society happens to disagree, too bad; you're not going to change them to "fit in." Someone whose ideology is truly independent of society's is just that—independent.

#40113 - 07/10/10 11:08 AM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: XiaoGui17]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Thank you for including the definition of house nigger but, as you might have known, I know perfectly well what it historically implied, a knowledge that does not hinder me from using it metaphorically because it perfectly illustrates how I see certain behaviour or thinking.

I do think the CoS does its best to please society. I find it sad they cornered themselves in this little niche. I have a hard time imagining that the original intent when starting the CoS wasn't more grand than the little circle of bureaucrats it is now, perpetually sharing the same sterile message and like some medieval popes excommunicating all those that do not match their image or that might give them a bad name. It's not that I disagree that they try to solve misconceptions should they arise considering their organisation or religion but the very fact that each time Satanism is mentioned somewhere in the news, especially when combined with crime, they feel personally addressed and try to wash away the sins as fast as possible. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked comes to mind. The very fact is that they don't even wait until asked but, like a good pastor, stick their nose into others business and fervently point out their sins. It is not because someone declares themselves a Satanist that they automatically fall under the jurisdiction of the CoS.

The problem whether someone wants to be a housenigger or a news item or anything in between those extremes is a problem limited to overt Satanism. I personally don't see any need to be open about that. Of course, when someone is the liberal law-abiding type of person, there is no harm to it, especially not in a democratic system that cuddles those minorities that fit their rules. But if you are not that type, being open about it is a bit like a burglar warning his victims before he attempt to clean their house.

D.

#40116 - 07/10/10 12:39 PM Re: Satanist settle lawsuit against Yellowstone County [Re: Diavolo]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Once I read this guys name I remembered we had spoke about this here before.

Inmate sues over alleged satanism interference

My thoughts on the church's comments from this particular case can be seen at the above link. I have never understood the FEAR of someone who publicly chooses to announce he is Satanist. That is all I see coming from this church by such actions.

~T~

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.