Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#39337 - 06/15/10 10:16 AM Jesus Struck By Lightning!
Jake999 Offline

6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning
The Associated Press

MONROE, Ohio (AP) — A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheater but was confined to the attic area, and no one was injured, police Chief Mark Neu said. The fire department would release a monetary damage estimate Tuesday, he said.

Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

The 4,000-member, nondenominational church was founded by former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

#39338 - 06/15/10 12:32 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Jake999]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I wonder how they are going to rationalize this "act of God".
I love starting off my day with a good laugh. Thanks for posting Jake!

#39339 - 06/15/10 12:54 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Jake999]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Just read the article about an hour ago, and thought about posting it here. You must have read my mind, Jake!

Before:

After:

Like 666 said, it's always nice to have a good laugh! God must not approve of the 'Touchdown Jesus' motif. Ah well, that's what happens when you cheap out on building materials. LOL!

#39340 - 06/15/10 02:19 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Jake999]
Anne Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
Maybe thats just be thinking, but my first impression was Michael Jackson on the photo O.o Something in the likes of this picture, just with arms raised..

No? xD

Well, another thought that stroke me when I read the article was
"Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they spent about $250,000 to finance it. "
Thats a cute thought, but fuck me that money could have done some hope to reality and truely make people feel salvated, but no, let's spend it on a badass big statue of Michal Jac.. I mean, Jebus..

#39341 - 06/15/10 06:20 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Jake999]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Baal Hadad strikes back!

#39342 - 06/15/10 06:38 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Nemesis]
Meq Offline
Banned

Looks like Heaven must be notorious for its domestic issues.

I guess God just hates his son - I mean, he did send the poor bastard to die a horrible death. ;\)

Another 'after' image:

Hmm, $300,000 later and they are still planning to rebuild it. Whatever happened to the miracle of resurrection?
Looks like they'll be guilt-tripping their parishioners into reaching deep into their pockets.
The Lord doth provide indeed.

Since it was an Evangelical church, I'm happy for their loss - just a pity it didn't destroy the church too! \:D

#39343 - 06/15/10 06:49 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Meq]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I guess he feels his son needs to stay dead.
Maybe their god really hates people, and doesn't like company.

Crucifying didn't do it.
Burning didn't do it yet.
How about tied to 4 horses and ripped into 4 quarters?

M

#39346 - 06/16/10 05:10 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Morgan]
School Bully Offline

Loc: Melbourne
That Statue of God has gone to heaven so that all statues can go to heaven. It was an act of loving sacrifice.

#39347 - 06/16/10 05:36 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: School Bully]
Shadow Dragon Offline
pledge

I love the fact that they plan to rebuild it. Because when one lighting rod gets destroyed, you might as well put up another. Or you could use that hundreds of thousands of dollars to actually invest in your community... Nah. The Lighting rod is a better idea.

#39349 - 06/16/10 05:45 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Shadow Dragon]
Jake999 Offline

It's pretty much a midwestern religious mindset amongst these kinds of "megachurches." It's symbolism over substance. They rail against ostentatious displays, "Mannon" the need to support the works of the church's charities, but they silently compete to have the biggest and most elaborate displays of faith that they can. The idea of spending the many, many thousands that they use on these displays to actually support the causes they claim to represent just doesn't occur to them.

#39350 - 06/16/10 05:46 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Shadow Dragon]
Meq Offline
Banned

This wasn't the first time Jesus took a lightning bolt.

Here's one from Brazil a couple of years back:

That statue survived, unfortunately.

I'm guessing his wrathful Father got more lucky this time around? ;\)

#39351 - 06/16/10 07:26 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Meq]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
^^ Nah, that one just wasn't built out of paper mache ;\) Instead, reinforced concrete and soapstone have kept that one from going up like a torch.

One of these days, Alice, one of these days!

#39352 - 06/16/10 08:34 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Jake999]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake999
They rail against ostentatious displays, "Mannon" the need to support the works of the church's charities, but they silently compete to have the biggest and most elaborate displays of faith that they can.

Please disregard any and all typos and misspellings that may occur before my caffeine fix in the morning. Thank you.

#39358 - 06/16/10 03:47 PM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Meq]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Not only did it happen to the Cristo Redentor in 2008, but once before in 2003, when Jim Caviezel was struck by lightning while filming The Passion of the Christ. As if that congruency weren't enough, he was on Golgotha when it happened, and assistant director Jan Michelini was struck not once but twice.

If Jesus is actually responsible for all of this, I must admit that the two of us are beginning to see eye-to-eye (or perhaps, eye-for-an-eye).

Z.

#39388 - 06/18/10 08:35 AM Re: Jesus Struck By Lightning! [Re: Zophos]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Let's not forget England's very own York Minster!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/cont...y_feature.shtml

Let's see now . . . 8 July 1984 adds up to 37 and according to Crowley that very number has associations with . . . THE BEAST!!!
Mind you, it was a hot day and the roof timbers were dry. \:\)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.