Page 2 of 90 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#9498 - 06/10/08 08:03 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Agrippa Offline
stranger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm with Psiren on this one; I am out to some people and hidden from others. For example, I am out to my close friends, my immediate family, and those who recognize my Sigil of Baphomet necklace or my Baphomet t-shirt, but if I'm in a situation where I know it would not be in my favor to say so, I simply do not wear any articles of clothing related to my philosophy and, if asked, will call myself "an Atheist".

Despite being in a very conservative town, going around with my Sigil necklace doesn't generate very many comments; however, I do get just a tiny bit of a kick when I will slowly get to know a person over time, charm them with my sweetness, intelligence, integrity, and consideration, and when they find out (directly or indirectly) I'm a Satanist, see the look on their faces when they see that sweet, kind Agrippa is a child of eeeevil~

#9525 - 06/11/08 05:54 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Agrippa]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I am in public, as I am in private, very much as Psiren stated.

I do not pretend to hold any respect for religion, if anyone asks for my opinion, or attempts to preach to me. I state things as I see them.

I do not call myself a Satanist, but instead I say that I do not believe in any deities, spirits, goblins or unicorns.

I do wear a gold inverted Pentagram around my neck which is about 3/4 of an inch in size, which I neither hide, nor display. Wether it is seen or not, depends on what kind of clothes that I am wearing.
If someone should point out that it is a “Satanic Symbol,” I either answer with “It can be viewed as such by some people,” or I explain that I do not believe in Satan nor God, and I don’t label myself as anything. However, since I despise religion, and people feel free to display crosses, and such, I can display what to me is the ultimate sign of “Anti-religion.” Plus I think it looks cool ;\)

If I wish to go into more detail, I might state that I do apply Satanic Philosophy in my daily life, just as I do many other forms of psychology and philosophies.

If anyone asks about “Satanism,” I can openly discuss the ideas behind it, just as easily as any other philosophy or religion that I have some knowledge of. For example, I can discuss Buddhism, Atheism, Christianity, and even Islam, since I have read many of their texts, but it doesn’t MAKE me any of them.

After that, they can judge me, ignore me, befriend me, or be indifferent. It’s their choice, but I always maintain what I refer to as “My British Baring,” which means that I am diplomatic and a gentleman at the very least as long as it is possible to do so.
(By the way, I am not British, I just like the way they generally present themselves.)

#9622 - 06/15/08 08:56 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Asmedious]
Nemesis13 Offline
stranger

Loc: Pennington Gap, VA
I am just me. My nature is very reserved, I dont flaunt my philosophies. My friends know about my beliefs and some rumors have created some questions, but nothing I can't handle. Ask me and I will tell you my beliefs.

I too live in a very conservative location. The people here are very "christian" in their ways, but they dare not cross the line for fear of their own exposure as hypocrits to their beliefs.

#9626 - 06/16/08 05:17 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Nemesis13]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Nemesis13
I dont flaunt my philosophies.

That reminds me of something: Sometimes you don't need to be very open about your philosophy or Satanism to be noticed. Me and my long time boyfriend (he is also a satanist) has a blog. Every year in december our two danish TV channels has there own childrens Xmas show each day. The shows is seen by almost all danish children, so it was a pain in the ass when one of the shows a fews years back had a Christian message (religion is usually not seen in danish programs aimed at children). I wrote a very critical text discussing the program and posted it on our blog and on a few danish forums. The text got a good response from danish atheists and non-christians, but the people from the TV channel sure didn't like it. It actually made one of there PR people write me a very angry and personal letter, and my critical review was the subject of a TV news item on the channel. The news item included one of the shows writers reading from my text, commending on it and sounding very, very angry.

I guess this was the most surprising cases of public response on my views I have ever experienced! One little text, and you get a whole television network accuse you of bullying them!

- Amina

#9669 - 06/18/08 03:25 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
kmgreen17 Offline
lurker

Loc: Sacramento
I dont like it when anyone presses their religion on me so I dish out the same respect to those who deserve it. Personally I believe that if someone feels the need to go to church, confess, and the whole nine yards to feel complete...more power to them, all I ask is to not press it on me. I have a few shirts with baphomets on them and I do wear them but other then that Im just a good ole fashion jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. I dress for comfort.
#9671 - 06/18/08 07:39 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Simon Offline
pledge

I don't like to show of my religion, as it is very "tabo" in our country. The problem with this is that I like to discuss matters of religion and politics. So I have to tell people. This is a very annoying problem to say the least. I also have a hard time getting in touch with fellow satanist in my own country. Is everybody hiding?

#9672 - 06/18/08 10:26 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
VictorGrigorii Offline
stranger

Loc: Sarasota, FL
If the topic of religion comes up in conversation, depending on who I am talking to, I will make it known that I am a Satanist. My mother knows, as do my siblings and my grandmother might know, I am not sure. My father, as much as I respect him intellectually, he is a great man whom I have come to admire more and more since becoming a father myself, will probably never know. He is a Mormon. I made it no secret when I was a teenager that I was reading Anton LaVey and even tried discussing it at the dinner table. He was not understanding. He ultimately ordered me to get rid of my books, many of my CDs and my homemade statue of the goat of Mendes. I took my books over to my mother's house, sold the statue to an idiot down the street, and hid my CDs in a more discreet place. As Mormon as he is , though, he can be a bit of a devil himself. He likes to challenge the church members and missionaries about their beliefs to "keep them on their toes."
#9694 - 06/19/08 06:46 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Simon]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: Simon
I also have a hard time getting in touch with fellow satanist in my own country. Is everybody hiding?

I think the problem with Satanism in Norway is that the public image of Satanism has been so focused on church burning black metal Satanism. There are a few satanic groups in Norway focused on rational Satanism, but they a very small and have not yet been able to make an impact. Young people in Norway will not find Satanism as an attractive identity as long as they are unable to find mature and rational local satanic communities to relate to. We had the same problem in Denmark ten years ago when black metal Satanism was the norm, but our magazine, our own material on our webpages, off-lice social events, messagebaords, public representation in the media etc. has change the situation. Today new rational satanists turn up every week and black metal Satanism (and occult Satanism) has more or less disappeared.

- Amina

#9696 - 06/19/08 07:10 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Amina]
Simon Offline
pledge

That may be true, do you know where I can contact such people? I have been on several Norwegian forums, but they all seem to be dead or deserted.

#9697 - 06/19/08 12:27 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Simon]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: Simon
That may be true, do you know where I can contact such people? I have been on several Norwegian forums, but they all seem to be dead or deserted.

Return to the same forums but this time try to contact people privately. I have a bit of private contact with a few of them, but sometimes they have other obligations and don't answer right away.

- Amina

#9707 - 06/20/08 07:51 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Amina]
Simon Offline
pledge

I'll try^^ Thank you.

#9714 - 06/20/08 09:33 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Simon]
Deangelo Poe Offline
lurker

I chose to be a satanist anytime and anywhere I may be, because in the sense of things I don't feel there is a need to proclaim my religious choices to the undeserving. However my additude, speech, and general bluntness are never hibited by the situation placing upon the moment.

My point is that at if you are a satanist, there Is never a time or place that you are not. The only difference found in public or private relations would be the lack of using titles such as Satan, satanist, or Satanism.

#9734 - 06/21/08 07:53 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Agrippa]
Salem Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
I go along with the family's Christian celebrations to avoid hassle. I wear a Pentagram but they don't really know what it means. I am a Satanist, but I will not openly oppose ( to my family at least) Christmas and other annoying occasions, so as, like I said, to not have to deal with the nagging or whatever may come with announcing this. I will speak my mind when I own my own house. Seems the best choice for me.

#9736 - 06/21/08 08:17 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Salem]
davesalyers Offline
stranger

Loc: Tehachapi, CA
I have a little different situation. I've been a self-identified Satanist for over 20 years and my wife is an Atheist. Both my wife and kids know about my Satanism (and my kids are now starting to show some interest). My family know that I am not Christian (I was raised Mormon and my family see me as simply an Atheist) - my siblings have now become primarily nonreligious. My wife's family is Roman Catholic and simply think that we are nonreligious as we use neither the "a" or "S" word with them as they (my in-laws as well as my relatives) live about three hours away from us so there seems no reason to open that particular can of worms.

Of course, I seldom dress the part either except for ritual purposes. There can be some power in being a "closet Satanist" especially in the professional work world.

Ciao!

Dave

#9774 - 06/23/08 08:50 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: davesalyers]
Nellie Offline
lurker

Loc: New Zealand
I'm lucky enough to live in the student area of my city amongst those from almost every religion and philosophy in existence. It's easy to exist openly alongside those of other religions or philosophies when there's no dominant majority and acceptance is a given.

My family know I'm a Satanist, and with the exception of my grandfather on my mother's side, they're all really supportive. But I did have to explain away the public perception of Satanists first.

I have no need to hide it, so I don't.

Edited by Nellie (06/23/08 08:51 PM)

Page 2 of 90 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.035 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.