Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#48141 - 02/05/11 06:15 PM Indulgence and Restraint: Polarities of Maturity [Re: SODOMIZER]
nocTifer Offline
pledge

Loc: Khazakstan
 Originally Posted By: Meatl Gear
I personally do not believe in total self-indulgence. However, I do not believe "god" or "religion" should dictate what I believe in. Sometimes pain is preferable to pleasure. It hurts to for instance stay in good physical condition, but it is still better. How do you feel about that?

Discipline embraces short-term pain for long-term pleasure. Ignoring one's condition and circumstances (age, social position, relationships, etc.) is the mark of immaturity. Accounting for them as regards one's indulgences is the mark of wisdom and insight.

Originally Posted By: SODOMIZER
Why not just common sense and logic, including science and philosophical reasoning? Self-indulgence seems to me like a lack of goal rather than a goal: if you don't have something you're working toward, you can at least make yourself "feel better" through self-indulgence. Working out, staying healthy, learning things and interacting with the world seem to me the opposite principle -- bonding with the world and accepting reality.

The problem with this stark dualism (like any simplification of principles such as these) is that no disciplined selection of indulgence or restraint is being described as potentially leading to anything valuable. This is the reason that some kind of valence of 'Epicureanism' is helpful, though even this, or 'Hedonism', tends to be warped out of recognition or twisted toward extremes (rather than legitimated based on pragmatic means to ends).

'Moderation in all things, including moderation'? Isn't this the purpose behind the 'Seven Deadly Sins' that Satanists are so all-fired hot to embrace and Christians to condemn? I never really found the moral criticism or the fetishistic adoption of these Christian foci valuable, but would love to hear from Satanists who see the wisdom of moderation why LaVey's endorsement of them makes any sense. Thanks.

#48163 - 02/05/11 10:59 PM Re: self-indulgence? Not always good. [Re: ]
Tallulah Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
Satanism is an Epicurian philosophy; this follows as a result of the principle of Indulgence, not compulsion.

One must also remember Satanism's other side based in pragmatism, cool realism and personal responsibility.

Indulge with finesse and Epicurian joy, do not wallow - this is the Satanic way.

I like that answer. To be completely self-indulgent is immature and counterproductive. There is work to be done to achieve aims. To be gluttonous is actually depriving oneself of delight and appreciation.

#48252 - 02/06/11 10:30 PM 8 Temptations to 7 Sins [Re: nocTifer]
nocTifer Offline
pledge

Loc: Khazakstan
 Originally Posted By: nocTifer
...I never really found the moral criticism or the fetishistic adoption of these Christian foci valuable, but would love to hear from Satanists who see the wisdom of moderation why LaVey's endorsement of them makes any sense. Thanks.

I randomly came across this thread started by 6Satan6Archist6 which addresses my query here. Interesting subject! As 'The 8 Tempting Thoughts' perhaps it makes a bit more sense to entertain them and find one's position with respect to them. I gather that the Pope Gregory ('the Great'; 590 CE) removed Sadness and Vain-glory and added Envy in the transformation, but do not know if the descriptions were at all altered when he shifted them from 'temptations' to 'sins'.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.