Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#39904 - 07/04/10 12:44 AM Re: JAKE [Re: BFranklin]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Side note...
BFranklin, just because someone name is in white do not assume they are a newbie. If you would check under Meq or Mr Objective's name profile, you would see the date they signed up, and the amount of posts they have written.

One is a newbie. The other one is far from new to this site. They both just happens to have earned a white colored status.

Plus, Jake and Aquino have personal experience with the Gentleman in question. They knew him to say the very least, and were aware of just exactly how he used his name.

I included both names because Meq got involved in the discussion in regards to his name, and dropped his 2 incorrect cents in.

Morgan

Edited by Morgan (07/04/10 01:17 AM)
Edit Reason: To make clearer the reasoning for Meq.

#39905 - 07/04/10 12:55 AM Re: JAKE [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
I'm with Jake here on the subject of Anton's name. Throughout his entire adult life [including the Church of Satan], he chose to be "Anton Szandor LaVey", and that was entirely and rightfully his prerogative. [BTW He signed and typewrote "LaVey" without any space between the "a" & "V".] It was much more exotic and cool than "Howard Stanton Levey", which is really only of biographical [foot]note.

LOL! I have to apologize for the space... believe it or not, I was just frustrated from seeing the one millionth time...

#39906 - 07/04/10 01:11 AM Re: [Re: Morgan]
Meq Offline
Banned

Morgan, I'm pretty sure BFranklin was referring to Mr Objective's "newbie" status. My post count is publicly viewable by all my posts.

Any particular reason to drag out the forum's dirty laundry in public?

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
I'm with Jake here on the subject of Anton's name. Throughout his entire adult life [including the Church of Satan], he chose to be "Anton Szandor LaVey", and that was entirely and rightfully his prerogative. [BTW He signed and typewrote "LaVey" without any space between the "a" & "V".] It was much more exotic and cool than "Howard Stanton Levey", which is really only of biographical [foot]note.

I agree with that Jake and Aquino, having read up on US laws giving rights to acquired names. My only point was that he didn't legally renounce his birthname so was technically still 'Levey' too (although in general including business use 'LaVey' would have been accepted as well as his strong preference).

Edited by Meq (07/04/10 01:18 AM)
Edit Reason: More added

#39927 - 07/04/10 07:37 AM Re: CoS Precepts [Re: ta2zz]
Mongrel Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Last I read here in the states, most will accept your name change legally by usage. If Mr LaVey was cashing checks made out to him you can be assured it was considered his legal name if papers were ever filed in court or not.

It's 2010 people a quick Google search should teach you enough to understand if your ideas hold enough water to be worth posting.

~T~

True. But I believe in order to do that you have to set up an account under your pen name at a banking institution. Don't quote me on this I just remember seeing it some where.

#39929 - 07/04/10 08:42 AM Re:MEQ and MORGAN [Re: Meq]
BFranklin Offline
stranger

Loc: Boston
 Originally Posted By: Meq
Morgan, I'm pretty sure BFranklin was referring to Mr Objective's "newbie" status.

Correct, Meq. Here’s the proof:

(Quoting myself) “…a newbie…critiquing the Satanic Bible…” <-- That would be Mr. Objective. I knew Mr. Objective is a newbie because his intro was the newest one at the time of my crime. I know Meq is a veteran member.

But I also know Morgan was just trying to help me out, so I respect her for that. I’m sure it was just a blonde moment.

Another misunderstanding all around is that I was NOT debating whether Jake was right or Meq was right, just pulling Jake’s tail (in good fun) for THE ACT OF quibbling about spelling the name.

Again… “in good fun,” I do hope it was taken as such.

#39931 - 07/04/10 09:20 AM enough [Re: BFranklin]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
BFranklin, on this board which has been around for many years, you are known for your words and actions.

When you act, or say things or get in the middle of something, "just for good fun" or as another new member said "as a jest", you do a disservice to yourself and the members here.

This place is built on honesty, respect, intelligence, and personal character. The members don't tolerate lies, ignorance, or pettiness very well. This is supposed to be a place of knowledge, of learning, and mutual understanding.

You are given the respect you earn by your words, your character, and your actions. When in general an individual dishonors themselves, you can't expect others here to take them seriously anymore.

As I stated previously, Meq got into the middle of something he was wrong about, thus why his name was mentioned.

As to your comment in regards to me having a blonde moment. I find it quite disrespectful. As funny as you think you are, you are not.

I think its time that this thread be locked or put back on track.

Morgan

#39942 - 07/04/10 03:34 PM Re: enough [Re: Morgan]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I was very seriously thinking about changing my legal name a few months ago. There are different ways to to it legally, and to differing degrees. This is specifically for the United States, in the state of New York.

You can simply start using any name that you wish without doing any legal paper work on it. However, this method will not get you a drivers license, a bank account and certainly not a passport.
However, about twenty years ago I adopted a middle name and just started using it when filling out paperwork for job applications and just about everything else. No one has ever questioned it, and when I checked my credit rating about three years after adopting the name, it was on there.

If you want a legitimate identification with a new name you need to file a “Change of Name” form at your local court house, and pay the filing fees as well. Eventually the court will send you a form stating that your name has been approved or disapproved. More often then not, name changes are approved unless they are found to be done for illegitimate purposes, such as attempting to throw creditors off you track or to deceive the public. You also might run into complications if you are attempting to take on the name of a celebrity, so I wouldn’t recommend becoming Elvis Presley legally.

At this point you usually do not have to make a personal appearance in a court hearing for the name change, but within two weeks or so of receiving notice from the court that your name has been approved you do have to take out an add in a local news publication and announce the name change.

The reason that I didn’t go through with my legal name change is because I’m a naturalized citizen, and from my research it would be a major hassle to get my name changed on my naturalization certificate. Probably would need a lawyer for that, and at this point it’s just not worth it.

#40002 - 07/05/10 10:19 PM Re: CoS Precepts [Re: Mr Objective]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I want to address some of the points made in the opening post.

One point I want to make: the works of Dr. LaVey are not just CoS beliefs, they are, in my view, the works which define and codify the religion of Satanism itself.

There is no substitute for reading the works of Dr. LaVey.

There are excellent threads here at the 600 Club which should be read as well.

I also recommend reading the CoS website, which has some tremendous core information, and some of the written works of the current CoS hierarchy are an excellent source of information as well – particularly High Priest Gilmore’s work, Magister Nemo’s work and Magister Svengali’s work.

And last, but not least, I feel that one should confront the challenge offered by the works of Dr. Aquino. One may agree or disagree with the central proposition put forth, but the sheer amount of knowledge is astounding. I love all of the history and those classic Hoof articles, interviews and other policy documents, which make up many of the appendices of the CoS ebook. There is a lot of great learning here.

One last thing: Pentagonal Revisionism is not included in the documents listed in the opening post. Pentagonal Revisionism must be included. I really don’t trust this religious tolerance.com.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.