Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1026 - 10/10/07 10:14 AM Re: Occult Books [Re: daevid777]
Chandler Offline
stranger

You know, I hear that Jesus was shaped like a birthmark.

"Ripping off" and "borrowing" etc. ought to be mandatory for developing new ideas. If a scientist, an artist, an occultist, a dancer, or anything, hasn't been able to synthesize existing ideas, I would be wary of his original ones.

One of the great contributions of Isaac Newton was to become a mouthpiece for squirrels, who have always intuited enough physics to know they ought to cling to bark for dear life.

One night on DXM, a giant glob identifying itself as "the truth" came to me, and we shared communion. Apparently "the truth" gets to decide whether or not there is a god, whether there is space and time... he can even decide there never were any of these things all of a sudden. "The truth" is superomnipotent: he can make everything what it is, and then innocently blame all the power on you, and he's still right.

So I'm never taking the truth for granted again.

#1077 - 10/14/07 03:23 AM Re: Occult Books [Re: Chandler]
blackdragon31560 Offline
pledge

Loc: Hell Paso, TX
Would agree with some people's reply, and some not, the occult aspect has never held any interest to me. I think modern science, is the evaluation occultism, to some point. since has take occult idea's and sometime have turned them into fact, or attempts to make them fact.

I agree, life can not be explained or found in, no one book, idea, philosophy, that will satisfy, the human drive, to understand. I think as we move, we must evolve and not become stagnant.

As for "Mr. truth" (truly funny to me), i would agree, that way of thinking is very dangerous.

#1204 - 10/19/07 03:30 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: blackdragon31560]
Chandler Offline
stranger

I think a lot of occult work (both academic and practical) should just be regarded as scientific experimentation. What works for one magician doesn't work for another. Each of us only have access to our own faculty of wisdom, and that of others only through our own faculty of understanding. A bunch of words on a page only goes so far, certainly no farther than a bunch of data that one hasn't checked on one's own. Modern science, true or false, is regarded with the same dogmatic compulsion to "believe" as any blind cult of personality. The only exception to this would be the scientists themselves.

I think the most important step of the scientific method is to compare results, which means not just buying into other people's findings, before repeating their experiments yourself. Billions of people have been known to fuck up all together in a big orgy of naked stupidity. It happens everyday.

But we are all experiential scientists. I just try to focus on the sciences that are at least intended to produce results and glean knowledge that I actually desire. I could give two fucks and a half about how the Universe began, or how big it is, if none of those phenomena are going to impact my life.

Anything done with the intention to fulfill my own goals is better than the most reliable way to manifest ratshit. It would be more intelligent to employ a doomed method of pursuing self-fulfilment, rather than a perfect method of wasting my time counting nanometers or comparing rabbit turds to find out what they eat that makes their ears so floppy.

I have seen guys like A.E. Waite recommending some utterly asinine occult practices that I would not be impressed if my dog emulated, because not only do they incorporate no skill or innovation whatsoever, but Waite's instructions if followed without deviation are guaranteed to produce no effect. He neglects the singularly indispensible element of magical practice, which is mental attitude. In short, he is well read, and well rehearsed, but Waite was a phony -a charlatan. Going through ceremonial gestures with no understanding makes for good geriatric calisthenics, which may have served Waite when he was getting beat up by the popular kids on the baseball team, but it doesn't produce any magical effects other than increased blood flow to the penis mounted on his forehead.

#1352 - 11/01/07 11:30 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: Brother J]
Meq Offline
Banned

Any occultist serious about mysticism would be advised to give the Nag Hammadi texts (particularly the Gospel of Thomas) a read, as well as the Corpus Hermetica.

These ideas spring from Neoplatonism (of which the most prominent exponent was Plotinus - see his Enneads), which was the synthesis of Pythagoreanism (with its esoteric, occult and mystical beliefs - the origin of Western occultism, heavily influenced by the Mystery religions), and the Socratic schools (with a rational, down-to-earth approach, focussed on practical living, yet with some 'worldly' mysticism).

Gnostics (and later Cathars), Hermeticists, Kabbalists, Sufis, and many others were influenced by Neoplatonism, mixing it with their indigenous mythology and symbolism.

Modern Romantic thinkers, including Hegel, were strongly influenced by the Pythagorean/(Neo)platonic/Hermeticist schools. Hegel was also into the occult and Mesmerism (the precursor to modern hypnosis, but with a very 'New Age' worldview).
See Hegel and the Hermetic Tradition (by Glenn Alexander Magee) for more on this.
Hegel wrote that the True is a Bacchanalian revel in which no one is not drunk.
A clear reference to the cult of Bacchus (and Plato's Form of the True), which symbolised mystical ecstasy as intoxication (often achieved with the aid of physical intoxicants...)

If you read the end of Nietzsche's 'Beyond Good and Evil' (before his poem), Nietzsche has a nice little chit-chat with Dionysus, of whom he is his "last disciple and initiate".
Dionysus, praising man as 'an agreeable, brave and ingenious animal' who 'knows how to find his way out of every labyrinth' - urges him to become "stronger, more evil and more profound... also more beautiful!"

Hail Satan! \:D

#1937 - 11/15/07 08:28 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: Meq]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
read everything you can get your hands on, try everything and decide for yourselves. What ever appeals to you is right for you everything is intertwined any way and it all spirals into what ever you make it be.

#2139 - 11/22/07 12:50 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: Cody]
satan666 Offline
lurker

yo buddy wat r ul talking about???????

im one of the few members from this part of the world i wanted some help on practising Satanism and black magic if anyboby could give me tips on that????

#2159 - 11/23/07 07:51 AM Re: Occult Books [Re: satan666]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
ANy thing by Regardie will bring you up to speed on Cerimonial magic, The Book of the Law by Crowley and his edited version of the Goetia, The Satanic Bible and Satanic Ritual, Don't bother with the satanic witch and if you can get the series of books about the Necronomicon by Simon.
These I think are all fairley good places to start.If you can't find the books a good place to download them online is Gigapedia they have some good stuff on there that should help you in your journey along the left handed path

#2269 - 11/26/07 03:53 AM Re: Occult Books [Re: jesusbeater]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Do you really believe the "Book of the Law" is a good place to start? Or Regardie, for that matter.

Agreed upon, the "Satanic Bible" and the "rituals", but the others? Satanic Bible is, definitely, first grade reading, but not anything by Regardie, or Crowley. I think this is a step too big for any young novice.

You should just have him read Waite's "The Holy Kabbalah", and be done with it...

#3599 - 01/20/08 01:55 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: daevid777]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
Reading to gain knowledge is one thing, but to actually perform magick is a totally different experience. One can read until there balls turn blue and still won't feel the power or understand what its like to feel the power of ritual. There are way to many of what I call (arm chair Occult) who read a few books or look up a few quotes here and there from certain books, and then try to claim that there an expert of the occult science. I enjoy the hands on experience then just book experience and never will claim I'm an expert because there is always so much to learn and to experience. So reading may teach you certain things and the basics but it can't teach you experience...
#3685 - 01/24/08 07:52 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: Noc]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
Robert Anton Wilson:

The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles (not to be confused with his other trilogy entitled "Illuminatus")

Cosmic Trigger Vol. 1

Masks of the Illuminati

Prometheus Rising

Christopher S. Hyatt:

Undoing Yourself With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

To Lie is Human; Not Getting Caught is Divine

Tantra Without Tears

Pacts With The Devil

Rebels and Devils (A compilation by Hyatt and others)

#3694 - 01/25/08 03:11 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: Soluna666]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
...please don't turn this thread into just a list of books - try telling us why you think these books are worth a look.

Thanks.

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#3756 - 02/01/08 09:47 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: satan666]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: satan666
yo buddy wat r ul talking about???????

im one of the few members from this part of the world i wanted some help on practising satanism and black magic if anyboby could give me tips on that????

"Think And Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
"The Mack Within" by King Flex

Fuck this magic occult shit. if that shit really worked satanists and wiccans would be rolling in money and hoes. instead of working nine to five and kissing some rich guys ass for a living, and being married to some fat ugly goth bitch.

Why is it that the ones that practice the "magical arts" are the poorest? Take for instance Voodoo, Santeria, Candomble, Macumba. You know how many hundreds of millions of indigenous people around the world practice some form of magic? and most can't muster up the magical power to buy a good home cooking or learn to read? How many people in Haiti, with all their voodoo shit are living large, and getting what they want out of life?

Magic isn't about demons, or satan, or chicken blood, dark incantations, or hidden secret knowledge in some tree of life man.

Right Thought -
Right Emotion-
Right Action -

What thoughts you entertain in your mind while you are awake fuels your emotions. These emotions governs and influences your actions. Your actions produces results in life. All the imagery used in magic is to alter the state of consciousness and enhance a certain required feeling.

Then there's tapping into thoughtforms. Once I tapped into the comic character Two Face from Batman and asked him for a favor - to get rid of a person i didn't like very much in my life, in return for a shiny quarter. I forgot about it and 6 months later he was gone, and i gave Two Face his quarter.

These thoughtforms are like collective bank account. The more people buy into it and invest their energy into it, the more collective force it has to be tapped into and used. Most of these ''demons'' and spirits in those old magical books are bankrupt.

~~352~~

#3757 - 02/01/08 09:55 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

And watch out for Chickenhead man.

~~352~~

#3758 - 02/01/08 10:04 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: Soluna666]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Originally Posted By: Soluna666
Robert Anton Wilson:

The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles (not to be confused with his other trilogy entitled "Illuminatus")

Cosmic Trigger Vol. 1

Masks of the Illuminati

Prometheus Rising

Christopher S. Hyatt:

Undoing Yourself With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

I have these. Great stuff. Undoing Yourself was excellent.

~~352~~

#3759 - 02/01/08 10:11 PM Re: Occult Books [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
Most of these ''demons'' and spirits in those old magical books are bankrupt.

TSB covers this in the first few pages.

Quote:
"The Mack Within" by King Flex

Sweet Jesus! I just thumbed through a few pages of this on Amazon - required reading!

I think we are going to get along just fine....

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.448 seconds of which 0.426 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.