Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#40888 - 07/27/10 10:24 AM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: Dan_Dread]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
Right so say steps are taken to prevent pregnancy, but it still happens, and the woman chooses to carry it to term against the wishes of the man.

This is something that has been bothered me on and off for a while now. When a woman gets pregnant it is entirely up to her to decide whether to carry the child full term or have it aborted - the man gets no say. I think that if a man gets a woman pregnant (regardless of who took what precautions against it) and the man doesn't want the child but the woman doesn't want an abortion either then the man should be freed from all responsibilities to said child. And before anyone says anything consider the flip-side: If the man were to want to keep the child but it was the woman who wanted the abortion, it would be perfectly acceptable (to society) for the woman to get an abortion regardless of the man's desire to be a father. Anyone who is for equal rights for women, not special rights, would have to agree.

Yes, people should realize that in having sex it is possible that pregnancy can result but even with all the precautions one can take against pregnancy, shit still happens. And let us not forget that are women out there who want to get knocked up, by anyone they can, so they can sit on their asses reap the benefits. Don't try to argue against me on this one I have known women like this and I suspect some of you may have too.

#40905 - 07/27/10 08:44 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: XiaoGui17]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: XiaoGui17
 Originally Posted By: Nyte

You don't know any body that has recently been through a divorce, do you? I do. Just this past fall as a matter of fact.

I do, in fact, which is part of why I feel so strongly about this. There are two sides to every story, and for every woman like that friend of yours who legitimately happens to have it rough because some POS left her high and dry, there's a gold-digger exploiting an honest, hard-working man who was just trying to do the right thing.

I've seen a lot, and I do mean a lot, of exploitative women. They don't work, they don't do housework, and they don't take care of any children they may have. They sit around watching Judge Judy and shoveling Cheetos into their mouths, letting themselves go because they "hooked" a man. Many hooked men in the first place by lying and claiming to be on birth control whilst deliberately trying to get pregnant to force the man into "honorably" marrying her "for the child." When the man finally wakes up and realizes how badly he's getting fucked up the ass in this arrangement, even if he leaves this cunt he's still stuck paying her alimony to pig out and watch TV.

The economy hit us all pretty bad, and we're all having trouble finding jobs. Yes, sometimes a divorced woman can't get a job after years being a homemaker. But what if a divorced man loses his job and can't afford alimony? I've seen this happen to honest men and it royally sucks for them as well. They can be imprisoned for contempt. Technically they shouldn't be if they're genuinely unable to pay, but the system is broken. Alimony is financial help to one party, but it's also a financial burden to another. And we could just as easily use the crummy economy as cause for abolishing such a financial burden.

If anything, your friend's situation is a sign of how badly the child support system in your state needs to be reformed, not a sign that alimony needs to be perpetuated. It seems to me she should be receiving WAY, way more in child support, since she was, after all, the children's primary caretaker. Part of the reason she's unemployable now is because of her dedication to her children. Instead of receiving a bit more in alimony in addition to child support, she should be receiving way more in child support.

Here, you don't get alimony unless the other party agrees to pay it. And you're correct. The child support system does need changing drastically. But that's not likely to happen any time soon. In the mean time, her alimony is a good thing.

As for your comments about exploitative women, you've hit the nail on the head but forgot to include many a men like that too. The street runs both ways, at least where I live and I've seen it go both directions. Men who stay home with the kids while mom is off working. He stays up all night doing whatever is fun for him while she takes care of the house, kids, etc. after working all day. Eh, seems to run amuck both ways I guess.

#40907 - 07/27/10 08:55 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ta2zz]
Nyte Offline

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

The real problem is women so willing to pop out babies thinking this will secure or fix their relationship. Responsibility for the responsible also means that when you choose to pop out a brat with someone this is your choice. You have chosen to forever change your existence with or without your spouse.

Child services suck because all the babies’ mommas are stressing the system. Those with children often feel they should be privileged because of their choice. Fuck that!

Welfare, alimony, child support lets just call these things what they are, handouts. People who are not secure should not have children its simple really.

Oh by the way the original article seems to have little to do with your speech on alimony and more to do with shared assets. It also strictly mentions that this bill affects only those who kill or plot to kill their spouse.

“It says that spouses who solicit the murder of their husband or wife are not entitled to collect benefits in divorce proceedings.”

Did you two have anything to say on topic? I mean do you agree or disagree with the ruling by Arnold?

~T~

You're right Ta2zz, men can't make a concious effort to put on a condumn before intercourse to make sure there isn't a bun in the oven when they're done. Or am I missing something there?

It's not just moms that are overloading our current systems. Care to break it down the way it really should be?

As for the topic, that should have been a "given". The fact that some judge actually gave that dip shit financial assests after she was jailed for trying to hire someone to kill her husband just goes to show what a fucked up system we have. The fact that they had to actually pass a bill to stop that is completely pathetic in my mind. One more thing to waste the time and the money of "the people", I guess.

#40909 - 07/27/10 11:19 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: Nyte]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

You're right Ta2zz, men can't make a concious effort to put on a condumn before intercourse to make sure there isn't a bun in the oven when they're done. Or am I missing something there?

Yes you missed it…

It's not just moms that are overloading our current systems. Care to break it down the way it really should be?

Responsibility to the responsible eh Nyte? Ultimately when a woman decides to have a child and not an abortion or thinking about giving the baby up for adoption it is her responsibility. We have been led to believe that it is a woman’s choice so to be fair your choice your responsibility. Divorce is common enough as is death I assume most people having children know this? When a woman has a child she should damn well think out all the possibilities. I mean seriously comparing the application of a condom with gestating a child inside your body for the better part of a year?

Let's not forget the responsibility of not spreading your legs if you know there is no condom. There are a few holes I can think of that wont make babies.

As for the topic, that should have been a "given". The fact that some judge actually gave that dip shit financial assests after she was jailed for trying to hire someone to kill her husband just goes to show what a fucked up system we have. The fact that they had to actually pass a bill to stop that is completely pathetic in my mind. One more thing to waste the time and the money of "the people", I guess.

This quote shows me nothing but how much you do not understand the process of law in America.

People who are disabled and those who worked until illness overwhelms them I think these people as well as the elderly deserve help.

Just because someone chose to have a child in my book doesn’t mean they deserve a handout automatically.

You reap what you sow.

~T~

#40914 - 07/28/10 10:02 AM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ta2zz]
Nyte Offline

Yes you missed it…

I was being sarcastic Ta2zz. Yes, I know there are a LOT of women out there trying to lay down with any man that will have them and trying to make babies. I also know that men can be just as responsible for helping NOT make babies as well as women. I know this because I can't tell you how many condoms I sell each and every night that I work. We can't keep them in stock and believe me, 9 out of 10 times it's a man buying them. I know that from time to time condoms break or come off in the act and there are those "accidents". However, if the man did not want a child (hence, used contraception) and the woman did get pregnant from such an accident, and the woman decided to have the child anyway, then the woman should bear the responsibility of that child on her own. Now a days, it's easy enough to get a duplicate receipt if need be of such a purchase to prove the man was taking precautions. Shit, even my little hobnob store can produce receipts dated back a year through our system and with the verification of a name to the credit/debit card used for the transaction, we'll reprint it in 2 seconds. If the man needed proof he didn't want children, it's easy enough to show. There's even video tape of the purchase (well, computer video anyway). However, if they both lay down knowing they are either trying to have a child or without contraception, then they BOTH should bear the responsibility of said child, whether they stay together or not. Simple really.

Responsibility to the responsible eh Nyte? Ultimately when a woman decides to have a child and not an abortion or thinking about giving the baby up for adoption it is her responsibility. We have been led to believe that it is a woman’s choice so to be fair your choice your responsibility. Divorce is common enough as is death I assume most people having children know this? When a woman has a child she should damn well think out all the possibilities. I mean seriously comparing the application of a condom with gestating a child inside your body for the better part of a year?

Let's not forget the responsibility of not spreading your legs if you know there is no condom. There are a few holes I can think of that wont make babies.

Believe me, I know there are quite a few women that should NEVER spread their legs without protection. What my comment was about, was "moms over taxing the system". It's not just moms that are over using the systems that are in place to help those who really do need it. It's dads and illegals as well. I've seen dad's use the system and then go out and work "under the table". I've seen illegals that use the system through their children that were born here in the US. Hell, we give fantastic benefits to immigrants and those benefits all come from "our" system. The "over taxing" is not just from moms. However, they're just as responsible as the others for over taxing our systems.

Don't assume that because you know that divorce is as common as death that someone else who is in a committed relationship and both partners decide that they are going to have children, that they are thinking about an inevitable divorce. If one leaves, they BOTH should still be responsible for their children. Quite frankly, I don't care what it's called, child support, alimony, so long as it keeps those kids out of the system and they are being taken care of by BOTH parents, then it's what IS needed. You're forgetting that we are talking about sheeple, after all and a lot of them don't think like Satanists do. And yes, I do believe that a man has just as much responsibility in using protection as a woman does. There are far too many ways to keep from impregnating a woman and not all of them rely on the woman alone. And if a man doesn't want a baby, and doesn't have a condom or some other form of protection, then he shouldn't be fucking either.

This quote shows me nothing but how much you do not understand the process of law in America.

People who are disabled and those who worked until illness overwhelms them I think these people as well as the elderly deserve help.

Just because someone chose to have a child in my book doesn’t mean they deserve a handout automatically.

You reap what you sow.

~T~

I comment on what I think should have been a common sense decision prior to the passage of a bill and you're telling me I don't understand our process of law in the US? Ya know, judges can set precedence with their decisions and the fact this took an actual bill being passed to make sure it doesn't happen is exactly why I believe our system is messed up. Think about this for a minute. A would be murderer gets to obtain financial gain from her spouse because he decides to divorce her after she is convicted of trying to hire someone to kill him. Then there has to be a bill passed to make sure this doesn't happen again? Come on....seriously? You really think the legal system worked this time? I sure don't. You're right. Maybe I don't understand it at all, considering she shouldn't have gotten not one damn dime from the divorce in the first place.

You're right about your last statement. Having children does not mean you should automatically get a hand out (from the system). That also means that men and women alike who decide to leave a relationship that have had children (both their decisions) should be held responsible for the care of their children, financially and otherwise. Better them than the system. Yes, responsibility to the responsible. He laid down just as easily as she did, so they BOTH should be responsible and not our system.

#40915 - 07/28/10 10:21 AM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nyte Offline

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
 Quote:
Right so say steps are taken to prevent pregnancy, but it still happens, and the woman chooses to carry it to term against the wishes of the man.

This is something that has been bothered me on and off for a while now. When a woman gets pregnant it is entirely up to her to decide whether to carry the child full term or have it aborted - the man gets no say. I think that if a man gets a woman pregnant (regardless of who took what precautions against it) and the man doesn't want the child but the woman doesn't want an abortion either then the man should be freed from all responsibilities to said child. And before anyone says anything consider the flip-side: If the man were to want to keep the child but it was the woman who wanted the abortion, it would be perfectly acceptable (to society) for the woman to get an abortion regardless of the man's desire to be a father. Anyone who is for equal rights for women, not special rights, would have to agree.

Yes, people should realize that in having sex it is possible that pregnancy can result but even with all the precautions one can take against pregnancy, shit still happens. And let us not forget that are women out there who want to get knocked up, by anyone they can, so they can sit on their asses reap the benefits. Don't try to argue against me on this one I have known women like this and I suspect some of you may have too.

Not going to argue a bit with you. I think if there were precations taken and the woman still got pregnant, the man not wanting children shouldn't be held responsible. I don't know about your experiences, but the men I know that don't want kids have been VERY vocal about it and have managed not to have children. If any one of those men "accidentally" got a woman pregnant and she tried to make him pay for said child, I feel he should be able to bring in witnesses to testify that he made it clear he didn't want children so he wouldn't be held responsible. I know that's not how it works, and it's wrong, but it's how it should work in cases like that.

As for trying to make a woman carry an unwanted child full term because a man wanted the baby? I highly doubt any court would make a woman do that. But crazier things have happened, so who's to say that won't ever happen?

#40955 - 07/28/10 06:37 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: Nyte]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
General comment:

If two people enter into a LEGALLY BINDING MARRIAGE CONTRACT and those two people decide that one partner will stay home and raise kids while the other one works, and then the worker decides that s/he just doesn't want to be a member of the family anymore, then fuck yeah, they need to shoulder the burden of that decision. P/alimony, child support, whatever the other person can nail them with so long as that other person is taking strides to get on their feet again. Granted, I don't think (for example) a man should have to pay alimony to a woman until she remarries - the whole time while she's mooching off a boyfriend. But if he enters into that contract, then HE breaks that contract...well sorry buddy. If I leave my cell phone company I have to pay them. If I break my lease I have to pay that. Contractual law is contractual law and if you don't like it, get a prenup.

That being said....

If they agree that the woman would stay home (or the man, but I'm just simplifying here) and she turns out to be doing something OTHER than the agreed upon rearing of the offspring - such as sluttin' around or shooting heroin or whatever, then I think she shouldn't get shit because she would be the one who broke the contract.

What happens to other marriages is totally irrelevant. If two people get married, that's a legally binding contract, like a lifetime lease. If you don't like it, don't get married. If you take out a lifetime lease then whoever breaks the contract is responsible for the terms outlined in said contract. Period.

I've been divorced for quite some time now and the reason why I haven't remarried is because I don't want that "lease" hanging over my head. If I DO remarry, I'll take my contract seriously and will expect the same in return...and if I have some specific concern that is not covered in my contract, I'll have a prenup drawn up...that's what they are for. Some people here talk about marriage like it is the same as dating. It's not. I'm not talking for one minute about religious hoohaw, I'm simply talking about contractual law. Marriage is a legally binding contract. Dating is not.

On the subject of two people just fucking...

If the man chooses not to use some form of protection, and a child is conceived, then he deserves what he gets. The fact that it's well known that there are bitches out there who are conniving enough to trick some guy into impregnating them just underscores the fact that only an idiot would have sex without giving himself some sort of peace of mind about whether or not he will have to suffer consequences. You want to talk about "responsibility to the responsible" and yet you want to say that a pregnancy is solely a woman's fault? That is utter bullshit!

Don't get me wrong, I am well aware that there are women out there who abort fetii (made up word, I know) that the father would keep, and I think that there should be something in place to prevent that as well. (This happened to one of my brothers as a matter of fact. He wanted the baby and she didn't and there wasn't shit he could do to stop her.) but the fact still remains that a penis is just as responsible for what happens as a vagina and if you don't want a kid, either fuck some post-menopausal bitch, take appropriate measures, or jerk off.

And if appropriate measures are taken, then the man should have just as much right to how the result is handled as the woman.

AND - a man CAN sign off his parental rights and get out of paying child support, so I'm not really sure what the big deal is anyway. If he didn't want the kid, and she has it anyway, there are STILL legal safeguards in place for him.

Edited by ceruleansteel (07/28/10 06:38 PM)

#40969 - 07/28/10 10:06 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ceruleansteel]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

General reply… To try to clarify what I am saying.

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
If the man chooses not to use some form of protection, and a child is conceived, then he deserves what he gets.

I’ve seen women who have baby number four making them baby’s momma number three. Clearly daddy isn’t too worried about ever paying child support. I say if the woman chooses to decide to carry and birth the child it is hers and only her responsibility knowing this.

The fact that it's well known that there are bitches out there who are conniving enough to trick some guy into impregnating them just underscores the fact that only an idiot would have sex without giving himself some sort of peace of mind about whether or not he will have to suffer consequences.

I agree lets not forget that there are guys just looking to make babies with whatever bitch is stupid enough to lay with him. Needless this agrees with my first statement. Too many women willing to be baby’s mamas stress the system.

You want to talk about "responsibility to the responsible" and yet you want to say that a pregnancy is solely a woman's fault? That is utter bullshit!

Clearly even though flying under a general comment flag this is directed at me.

I am beyond the act of fucking, conception has happened. At this point it is clearly the woman’s decision to let this baby grow inside her and forever change her existence. The man wearing a condom or not to me has no comparison to this decision. If a woman makes the choice to carry and birth a child ultimately she holds the most responsibility for said child. It is her responsibility to judge the reliability of the father, their income, the future etc.

The man wearing a condom or not is more along the lines of where he sticks his dick or decides to blow his load. Last I checked a face or mouthful of semen does not a baby make. If there is no condom and you fuck the guy then yes it is the woman's fault for spreading her legs and not her mouth.

I don't know many men to turn down head do you?

I was born to a single mother in 1966 back when something like this was almost unheard of. She was told to put me up for adoption or abort the pregnancy, instead she made a decision to have the child. She never whined or thought she was owed anything due to her decision. She worked her ass off at two jobs and made sure to raise me elitist. She never looked or asked for assistance until she was no longer able to work due to her health. I am sure this colors my thoughts and attitude towards others.

~T~

#40972 - 07/28/10 11:01 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: Nyte]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

I was being sarcastic Ta2zz.

Me too… \:D

I comment on what I think should have been a common sense decision prior to the passage of a bill and you're telling me I don't understand our process of law in the US?

Yes I am. You assume the law works on commonsense?

Ya know, judges can set precedence with their decisions and the fact this took an actual bill being passed to make sure it doesn't happen is exactly why I believe our system is messed up.

I’m no law student nor do I wish to suggest that I’m very learned in law, but we are talking basics here and commonsense.

Watch Me

Read Me

Right or wrong it is our system there are ways to legally change it. Unless you are working to change this system it would do best to at least try to understand it.

You're right about your last statement. Having children does not mean you should automatically get a hand out (from the system).

I think I have more of a problem with those who at work think or expect to get more jobs or more hours because they chose to have children. Single or struggling parents should get help from the system if they are really providing for the child.

I am also all for forced sterilization after two children in career welfare recipients.

He laid down just as easily as she did, so they BOTH should be responsible and not our system.

The woman chooses to have the child much later than the laying this is why I suggest she has the most responsibility.

I am all for forcing deadbeat parents into labor camps and giving the children to loving people who want and can afford to have children.

But alas such is just fantasy. The work involved in passing such a law is much greater than my care or need for such change.

Arnold started the process of changing a law I think we all agree it is for the best?

~T~

#40973 - 07/28/10 11:09 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ceruleansteel]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
General comment:

If two people enter into a LEGALLY BINDING MARRIAGE CONTRACT and those two people decide that one partner will stay home and raise kids while the other one works, and then the worker decides that s/he just doesn't want to be a member of the family anymore, then fuck yeah, they need to shoulder the burden of that decision...

If they agree that the woman would stay home (or the man, but I'm just simplifying here) and she turns out to be doing something OTHER than the agreed upon rearing of the offspring - such as sluttin' around or shooting heroin or whatever, then I think she shouldn't get shit because she would be the one who broke the contract.

The problem is that, the way many family courts handle divorce, alimony is basically a cut-and-dry formula of "which partner made more." Whoever makes more pays the spouse who makes less, even if both worked, they were childless, and neither one was a homemaker in any sense. The implicit contract of marriage doesn't necessarily take into account whether or not one spouse was holding up his/her end of the deal. Cheaters, junkies, and just plain lazy folks get alimony all the time. The rules vary from state to state, but a lot of states are still old-fashioned and "fault" doesn't necessarily come into play when alimony is awarded. The very subject of this thread demonstrates that. I'd consider hiring a hit against your spouse to be a violation of the contractual obligation of marriage, but the woman got alimony anyway. Someone had to pass a law to alter that.

Marriage is indeed a contract, but as far as many states are concerned, the contract is merely one of communal property. Behavior within marriage often isn't considered part of the contract, as I mentioned in my note about many states ignoring "fault." What's more, a good many states ban or override prenup clauses that require good behavior. In California, courts do not permit prenup penalties for adultery or drug abuse, much less neglecting menial responsibilities like housework.

#41029 - 07/29/10 02:31 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ta2zz]
ceruleansteel Offline

Quote:
Clearly even though flying under a general comment flag this is directed at me

No, I really thought I saw several people echoing those sentiments and it really was directed generally. You know me well enough by now to know that if I wanted to single anyone out, I would. I just happened to get to this thread after so many posts were made that it seemed counterproductive to single out one person's words when there are several sides to this debate.

Quote:
The man wearing a condom or not is more along the lines of where he sticks his dick or decides to blow his load. Last I checked a face or mouthful of semen does not a baby make. If there is no condom and you fuck the guy then yes it is the woman's fault for spreading her legs and not her mouth.

This seems to be contradictory to me. I totally agree with you about a man making the decision on where to blow his load, but then you let him off the hook if he makes the conscious decision NOT to avoid the uterus?

He can stick his dick in a hundred different places that don't produce a baby. Why is it solely her fault/problem if they agree to THE ONE PLACE that does and she becomes pregnant? It is, after all, an agreement between the two of them as to where the launch occurs. Hell, if she's being pushy and gives him no choice, he can forgo fucking her entirely and go find someone else who's up for a facefull of jizz...or get to fappin'...or whatever.

And I hope you don't feel like I'm trying to psychoanalyze you or anything, but you seem to respect your mother for how she handled her situation (you), yet the things you are saying would be highly critical of her. Also - if you don't mind - where was your dad in all of this and how do you feel about his part in your situation? Was it solely your mom's fault or do you feel like he should shoulder responsibility for his decision to create you? After all (and I know I'm talking about your mom, here, but let's look past that for this upcoming statement), he could have blown his load on her face instead, or in her mouth or up her ass.

What I'm trying to say is that I agree largely with what you are saying, but I feel like you are giving men a free ride here if the woman decides to carry the baby instead of giving it up or aborting. Regardless of whether or not either party made a conscious decision to create a child, both share responsibility for the fact that a child was created, and unless it was rape, they both agreed on where the sperm was going to go. Therefore, regardless of what she decides to do after she conceives, it's both party's problem. Like I said before, he can take her to court and sign over his rights, forcing her to deal with it on her own and freeing him from responsibility if he doesn't want the child. I don't know how many options he has, though, if he wants the child and she doesn't. I can only think of one instance offhand in which a man tried to force a woman to have a child that she wanted to abort and I recall that he failed.

I have a friend who was dumb enough to fall for the whole, "I can't get pregnant" schtick. He's currently about 8 years into his life sentence now and while I have nothing nice to say about the girl who fed him a line of bullshit, when he told me what had happened my first words to him were, "Jeez, Dan, how could you be so stupid?"

He could have done a hundred different things to avoid a pregnancy, but he chose to ignore those hundred different options.

If I met a guy who had kids all over town - regardless of whether or not he was supporting them - I wouldn't go near him. Period. Because having kids all over town shows irresponsibility at best and poor decision making at worst. That being said, any guy who fucks some chick who's already shown the same level of irresponsibility - I think - yes: gets exactly what he deserves.

EDIT:

I just read your reply to Nyte, and now understand better why you stand where you stand, but doesn't it occur to you that the action that caused the outcome is still 50% his fault? I don't see where time elapsed has anything to do with it. Should a murderer be allowed to walk simply because he wasn't caught until 20 years later?

Edited by ceruleansteel (07/29/10 02:47 PM)
Edit Reason: noted

#41030 - 07/29/10 02:38 PM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: XiaoGui17]
ceruleansteel Offline

All I'm seeing here is conjecture. You talk in general terms and want to present it as fact and I'm not buying it. It's one thing to state your opinion, but disguising your opinion as a general fact isn't going to play. So either present your opinion as just that, or show me something that backs up what you are saying.
#41073 - 07/30/10 03:26 AM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ceruleansteel]
XiaoGui17 Offline

All I'm seeing here is conjecture. You talk in general terms and want to present it as fact and I'm not buying it. It's one thing to state your opinion, but disguising your opinion as a general fact isn't going to play. So either present your opinion as just that, or show me something that backs up what you are saying.

Conjecture? I made concrete assertions which could easily be looked up and verified (quoted below in yellow). But ah well, you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Let me dig up some citations for what I'm talking about.

"The very subject of this thread demonstrates that. I'd consider hiring a hit against your spouse to be a violation of the contractual obligation of marriage, but the woman got alimony anyway."

Uh, yeah. See the beginning of this thread. The post is right there. A woman in Pomona hired a hit against her spouse, and she got alimony anyway, which was what inspired this bill in the first place. If marriage is a contract, and one should pay alimony for breaking the terms of that contract, the one who broke the terms should be the one paying. Yet up until this bill, trying to get your spouse killed was not warranted a "violation" of a marital contract enough to nullify entitlement to alimony. It's right there.

"What's more, a good many states ban or override prenup clauses that require good behavior."

"Prenuptial agreements are used by parties to organize many aspects of their married lives. When push comes to shove, however, most of these lifestyle arrangements are probably unenforceable in a court," said Lee Rosen, founder of Rosen Law Firm in Raleigh, N.C.

"In California, courts do not permit prenup penalties for adultery or drug abuse, much less neglecting menial responsibilities like housework."

"California law does not permit a provision in a prenuptial agreement that penalizes a spouse for infidelity. A party to a prenup cannot be penalized with a smaller share or marital assets upon a divorce because of infidelity."

"In California courts do not allow a party to penalize the other spouse for having cheated on the spouse."

"California courts will not allow provisions that penalize a party for infidelity or drug use. Prenuptial agreements are also not the place to require children to be raised in a particular religion or a party to provide domestic services and provisions like these have also been struck down in California courts."

California Family Code
Division 4: Rights and Obligations During Marriage
Part 5: Marital Agreements
Chapter 3: Agreements between husband and wife
Section 1620: Except as otherwise provided by law, a husband and wife cannot, by a contract with each other, alter their legal relations, except as to property.

Like I said, in California the only think prenups can alter is the legal assumptions involving property. A spouse can waive a right to alimony ("spousal support" under California code,) but only unconditionally. Agreements contingent upon a spouse's conduct are void.

And California is more likely to uphold prenups than many other states. The Uniform Premarital Agreement Act requires states to uphold prenups unless they are void for lack of disclosure, duress, or unconscionability. Only about half of the states in the US are signatory to this act, and even then many have amended it saying that claims to alimony cannot be waived in a prenup. In states that are not signatory, prenups can be thrown out at the whim of the court, solely at the court's discretion.

#41078 - 07/30/10 04:38 AM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: XiaoGui17]
ceruleansteel Offline

In your previous post you say "many" and "most" states act in a certain way, then you totally misquoted your own source by saying that "many states" have added provisions regarding alimony, yet the website that you linked says, "some states". There is a difference between "many" and "some".

And the whole time you only mention two states, and only cite actual law sources for one: California. Your North Carolina source says "are probably not enforceable" and it's a quote from a lawyer, not from a law. Huge difference.

Why aren't you citing Texas law, where you reside? Oh! Because a prenup in Texas can cover damn near anything they please...so yeah, that would put a big dent in your CONJECTURE, wouldn't it?

So far, every state that I've looked at says the exact same thing as Texas, and that is that a prenup can cover... (8) any other matter, including their personal rights and obligations, not in violation of public policy or a statute imposing a criminal penalty. so long as it doesn't violate some other statute.

As for the ease of looking up and verifying, you're the one trying to say that most states (charge 1500$ for) a contract that will not be honored in court, not me. So prove it.

Quote:
California Family Code
Division 4: Rights and Obligations During Marriage
Part 5: Marital Agreements
Chapter 3: Agreements between husband and wife
Section 1620: Except as otherwise provided by law, a husband and wife cannot, by a contract with each other, alter their legal relations, except as to property

Nice try. Now read the code that actually deals with premarital agreements.

Yep. You made ASSertions, alright...

#41082 - 07/30/10 05:34 AM Re: That shouldn't let the bastard off alimony ... [Re: ceruleansteel]
XiaoGui17 Offline

In your previous post you say "many" and "most" states act in a certain way...

Originally Posted By: XiaoGui17
The problem is that, the way many family courts... but a lot of states... as far as many states are concerned... a good many states

I said jack-all about "most." Most implies a majority, that is, more than half. I never said that. "Many" is a vague, indefinite term that means more than one, and implies that the quantity being described is large enough to warrant discussion, as opposed to "a few" which implies something negligible.

...then you totally misquoted your own source by saying that "many states" have added provisions regarding alimony, yet the website that you linked says, "some states". There is a difference between "many" and "some".

I didn't put quotation marks around it, so I don't see how I could "misquote" it at all. Misinterpret, perhaps. I consider "some" and "many" to be interchangeable as far as amount is concerned. Both are indeterminate in both concrete number and proportion of a whole. The only difference, in my mind, is one of emphasis. How many states, exactly, would you consider "some" as opposed to "many"? Do you have a specific range so I'll know what quantifier to use next time?

Your North Carolina source says "are probably not enforceable" and it's a quote from a lawyer, not from a law. Huge difference.

The fact that there is not a law written that explicitly states "no sanctions against bad behavior" does not mean that such sanctions will be upheld. Precedent, in addition to legislation, is going to hold sway over how courts rule in a case. A lawyer mentioning what probably will and will not be upheld is meant to establish a rough idea of how courts are going to rule based on his previous observations. Not to mention, personal conduct is an impractical thing to expect a court to verify. (Oh, your wife sat around watching TV instead of doing the dishes? Can you prove that?)

Both the quote I provided and the one you did are laws applicable to premarital agreements, so I don't know why you're referring to your excerpt as the one that "actually" deals with premarital agreements. Mine "actually" deals with premarital agreements, too.

So far, every state that I've looked at says the exact same thing as Texas, and that is that a prenup can cover... (8) any other matter, including their personal rights and obligations, not in violation of public policy or a statute imposing a criminal penalty. so long as it doesn't violate some other statute.

Gee, that little ditty about "except as to property" couldn't possibly constitute "another statute" that behavioral sanctions would "violate," could it?

...you're the one trying to say that most states (charge 1500$ for) a contract that will not be honored in court, not me.

Again, I never said "most." As for $1500 for a contract that will not be honored in court, I was only referring to specific aspects of a prenup (behavioral sanctions) not being honored, not the prenup as a whole.

And the whole time you only mention two states, and only cite actual law sources for one: California... Why aren't you citing Texas law, where you reside?

Why am I mentioning Cali instead of Texas? Gee, I dunno, maybe because it's 1)the original topic of the thread and 2)the state I made an assertion about in the first place. How is the particular state I live in relevant? I could live in Kandy, Sri Lanka and still know about general trends in US family court.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.