Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#40452 - 07/18/10 05:45 PM Re: Black People in America [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I had a black coworker, and our views on race did not click. One time he brought me a book, titled something like “Great Black Men.” When he gave it to me, I noticed that it was about two hundred or so pages long. I told him that I could give him a book about great white men. It’s called the “Encyclopedia.” Of course this was all in fun, and most of the time we laughed about our disagreements to the point of almost pissing ourselves. I think that the reason we got along so well was that although race came up often in conversation, our other views clicked in regards to women, our job and music.

Totally off topic but funny as hell.

One day he wrote in a patients progress note an entry that was about a whole page long. Detailing how he went into the patients room, watched tv with him for about an hour, and had a really good “discussion,” with the guy about the program and “other stuff.”
The charge nurse then pointed out to him, “Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that guy has been dead since this morning. We are waiting for the funeral home to pick up his body.”
His response was classic, “OH SHIT man, I was wondering why I was doing all the talking.”

This actually happened, which is why I still laugh about it, when I remember it.

#40454 - 07/18/10 06:16 PM Re: Black People in America [Re: Asmedious]
Morbid Rex Offline

Sounds like a cool guy but as for his book....yeah..."Great Black Men" sounds like some Afrocentric stuff of the Pseudo Science variety. Some of the older stuff like The Negro Problem is worth the read but it seems like some of these guys just like to bend the facts. I also don't get their preoccupation with Egypt as if that were the only civilization worth mentioning to exist in Africa. It makes well known Black kingdoms like Nubia, Great Zimbabwe the Songhai empires or the Zulus become less valid. Although the Zulu's didn't achieve the type of stuff those other places did they still have a pretty cool history, Shaka Zulu was an interesting leader that completely revolutionized Zulu warfare.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#40534 - 07/20/10 02:45 AM Re: Black People in America [Re: Morbid Rex]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: Morbid Rex

There's also the idiotic idea that achievement = trying to be white among some members of the Black community... The point is, achieving high success is seen as selling out among some American Blacks.

This is exactly what I'm referring to when I talk about a "culture of poverty." Unfortunately, a lot of blacks identify the culture of poverty as "black culture" because they see a lot of blacks in it. :P Because white people define their own identities through some other group/label (Christian, American, Intellectual, Woman, Artist, etc) instead of seeing themselves primarily as a color, they can embody their self-perception in a healthy way. Even if he uses his ethnic background to identify himself, he usually sees himself in terms of "Irish" instead of "white." If, however, an individual insists on forging an identity as a "black" guy, he's not got a lot to go on besides buying into crap. It should be noted, however, that those white men who do define themselves as "white" specifically usually end up every bit as pathetic (redneck trailer trash). And there are whites who identify with the "culture of poverty" too; their idea of "keeping it real" is blue-collar, working-class, don't-need-no-education stuff as well. But blacks are more likely to get sucked into it simply because there are more blacks living in poverty to begin with.

Edited by XiaoGui17 (07/20/10 02:46 AM)

#41235 - 08/01/10 07:24 PM Re: Black People in America [Re: Dakota]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dakota
The statistics in general tell me the have a lower IQ

If someone has a lower IQ, it's not their fault that they are impoverished. They are simply less capable.

Where did you find this IQ information?

#41242 - 08/01/10 08:46 PM Re: Black People in America [Re: SODOMIZER]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
"Hi, this is Dakota. As you can see from the title under my avatar, I've been banned so I can't answer any of your questions in the foreseeable future. Thanks!"

#41284 - 08/02/10 03:32 PM Re: Black People in America [Re: Nemesis]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
"Hi, this is Dakota. As you can see from the title under my avatar, I've been banned so I can't answer any of your questions in the foreseeable future. Thanks!"

Thanks for the heads-up. Well, that's a bummer, although there was something weird about the way Dakota phrased his/her message.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.