Page 5 of 17 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#29728 - 09/17/09 09:28 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Samuel Hain]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Samuel Hain
Dr. Aquino: Could you please describe the appearance of the Prince of Darkness when he manifested himself unto you? I am very curious.
Was it in the form of Set, Pan, or in his Luciferian, arch-angel guise.

Please see Chapter #2 of my Temple of Set for a discussion not only of the experience but also of such experiences generally.

While the North Solstice Working was not a "visible" one, I also did not have the impression that any anthropomorphic image was pertinent or necessary to it. Hence the Temple of Set's comprehension of Set, indeed all of the neteru, is abstract, an experience of nœsis; and Set's representation in the traditional Egyptian-artistic guise is a matter of courtesy and convenience.

This Greater Black Magic (GBM) phenomenon extended back into the Church of Satan, wherein apprehension of Satan [or any other dæmonic presence in that pre-neteru frame of reference] was a generalized sensation rather than a material manifestation. It began, as many Satanists discovered, as a kind of "atmosphere" during a GBM working that, well, the ritual chamber was suddenly "more than the sum of its parts". Many RCs, particularly the ones in rooms or other locations used for no other purpose and closed otherwise, seemed charged with this sort of atmosphere even absent a formalized working-in-process.

In the original Church we were of course fascinated and curious about this phenomenon, not to mention a bit spooked by it. At 6114 California Street, incidentally, it was not the famous main ritual chamber on the main floor that prickled your skin - possibly because it served a variety of ordinary and public purposes as well: lectures, Anton's organ concerts, PR events, etc. The rooms in which one did not venture at all casually were both downstairs: the "Council Chamber" and, at least to my senses even more forbidding, the Blue Room, which was something straight out of Caligari. Ca. 1974 Anton suddenly remodeled it into a caricature of a noir sleazy hotel room, which blew all sorts of fuses in my head the first time he showed it to me. [There's a photo of the altar in the CC in COS, but not of the BR in either universe.]

Herewith an extract from a 1994 Scroll of Set article of mine on such matters:

Originally Posted By: M.A.A., "Ghosts from the Negative Green"
As with other “occult” subjects, there has been much nonsense written about ghosts & hauntings, accompanied by all manner of individual & group crank-supporters. And of course there have been equal numbers of ghost-debunkers. Collectively this makes for an entertaining hobby on either side of the fence.

A serious Black Magician will eventually be interested in investigating such substance as there may be behind the surface imagery. Do ghosts exist either in some sort of “traditional” way or in a less-obvious “scientific” sense?

Let’s start with three basics [there are exceptions to each, but on the whole these hold true]:

(1) If a ghost is a departed spirit-essence of a previously-living person, it might conceivably manifest itself as an ethereal image of that person’s body, but non-parts of that body, such as clothes, carriages, horses, or chain-saws wouldn’t make the trip. Ghosts which do not appear in human form are sometimes called specters. [This term comes from “spectrum”, as the ancient Greeks considered specters to appear in a variety of colors. Remember this in the discussion below.]

(2) By and large, ghosts tend to be associated with specific viewers (such as a relative) or specific places.

(3) Ghosts are unreliable. They show up, if they do, unexpectedly and irregularly.
If a ghost appears to a specific viewer, and particularly if that viewer has a history or “talent” for seeing or manifesting ghosts (i.e. a medium), your first consideration is whether it is deliberate fakery. Such may be innocent [as in stage magic ghost routines] or fraudulent [if the person is trying to put over a scam].

If you decide that the person is being honest, then either it is a subjective universe experience - out of control, as it were - or that individual’s senses are adjusted in some subtle way that most others’ aren’t, enabling him/her to sense something they can’t. We’ll come back to this later also.

If a ghost appears only in a specific place, such as a particular room in a particular house, then it stands to reason that there is something about that particular location that is conducive to such a manifestation. [Here it would be even more helpful to narrow things down to see if only certain individuals sense the ghost in that location, and what common perceptive threads there may be between those people.]

Here we enter the marvelous magical world of shape dynamics and their impact on human consciousness. Like proxemics, shape dynamics is a force which routinely exercises a tremendous psychological influence on people without their conscious awareness.

#6O on the reading list is Roger de Lafforest’s Houses That Kill. By now this paperback is probably next-to-impossible to find, so eventually we will get the good stuff in it synopsized and made accessible as a Ruby Tablet-file. But for now let’s consider dL’s basic premise: that there is a “hidden science” of buildings and other closed environments (such as caves or groves). When you enter such a building, you are exposed to these principles, which may have either an immediate or a long-term effect on you [HPL devotees will note that delayed-effects were often an HPL staple, as in The Color Out Of Space or The Shunned House.]

This is somewhat along the line of the well-known Chinese art of Feng Shui, according to which there are certain good and bad ways to build and landscape buildings in terms of their effect upon occupants. Feng Shui is an interesting mix of psychology and superstitious tradition, and there are lots of books available on it. A pleasant, coherent, and knowledgeable introduction is Derek Walters’ Feng Shui (NY: Simon & Schuster/Fireside, ISBN 0-671-66790-4), 1988.

Houses That Kill, as its name conveys, focuses less on how to build good houses as how to recognize, avoid, and escape bad ones. I labeled it TS-5/OT-5 for the simple reason that someone with sinister intentions could use the same information to create such architectural Frankensteins. Don’t fool around with this stuff for the same reasons that you shouldn’t fool around with other -5 material unless you know damned well what you’re doing and have a very sublime reason for doing it.

Reading HTK is a bit like reading the Necronomicon or The King in Yellow: There is a lot of craziness and raving, and you have to look for the occasional flashes of near- and para-sanity. When these appear, they are illuminating indeed.

Assume that you have come across a house with a rotten reputation; people die, go crazy, believe in the Warren Commission, etc. when they live there. De Lafforest offers this checklist:

1. Location: The house may be built on impenetrable ground, over an underground stream of water, an ore deposit, a geological fault or a closed cavity, or in a place vulnerable to electrofiltrations or infested with harmful waves for one reason or another.

2. Shape waves may be responsible.

3. There may be ionization of the air.

4. The materials of the house, or of the furniture and other objects inside it, may be malignant by nature.

5. The house, in whole or part, may be under a curse or an interdiction.

6. The memory of walls or the bad breath of the past may be poisoning the house in the present.

7. The bad luck and the evil eye of one or more of the occupants may have impregnated the house and the atmosphere inside it so thoroughly that they in turn emit harmful waves. There are then reflections, echoes, repercussions, backlashes a kind of abominable tennis in which increasingly harmful waves are sent back and forth indefinitely between the house and its occupants.

In the space of this Scroll article I can’t go through the ramifications of all of these; the reading list will be helpful. For instance Nigel Pennick has written a lot about geomancy, and there’s a tasty chapter on it in #14M. [The British generally appear to be especially interested in geomancy, ley-lines, and that sort of thing.]

Here I’d like to focus on waves and vibrations, as dL mentions in items #1, #2, & #7.
Assuming that all readers of the Scroll got “A”s in their high school physics classes, we know what W&V are. When they get going under certain circumstances, they create additional phenomena called fields. You can see and measure at least some kinds of waves, but fields are trickier. Often you can ascertain the presence of a field, but cannot be sure why it is there or even what it is composed of. For instance, a magnetic field can be measured, but what is it? And gravity is something that might be a field-phenomenon, but no one’s quite sure. Einstein’s idea of the Holy Grail was a “Unified Field Theory” interrelating gravity & electromagnetism, but he never quite found the castle.

As in Forbidden Planet, where a monster lay in ambush hidden in theid of Dr. Morbius, de Lafforest suggests that similar “monsters” may lurk within the friendly, pretty range of the visible electromagnetic spectrum [remember that word from above?]:

Originally Posted By: dL
Everything would be simple if we were limited to the colors of the rainbow. But besides the seven visible color-vibrations (violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, red), the spectrum includes five invisible ones (infrared, black, negative green, white, ultraviolet). Belizal and Morel write that ‘in the sector between black and white there are many other vibratory points revealing great energy. This is an intensely radioactive zone whose center lies in negative green, which is the exact antipode of the green of the spectrum, or positive green.’ And they conclude: ‘It is the shortest and most powerful vibration in the universe.’

I will add that it is also the most dangerous. With green we are at the borderline between good and evil, the visible and the invisible. Both positive and negative, it is the most mysterious of all colors, the only one that is exactly opposed to itself. In any case it greatly complicates efforts to assign responsibility for the inexplicable harmful forces that contaminate some houses ...

The subject of colors provides a reasonable transition to the difficult and controversial problem of shape waves.

All the harmful rays I have mentioned so far can be detected and measured by scientific devices sensitive to microvibrations and electromagnetism. They correspond to gamma rays, which are similar to X-rays. It has been established that the shorter their wavelength is, the more harmful they are, and that they are extremely hard. It is precisely because of this hardness that they can so easily penetrate living tissues. In human beings and animals they destroy red corpuscles; in plants they attack the sap. They are thus responsible for a progressive disintegration of the human race. It can be said without exaggerating that the end of the world is near if man neglects to protect himself from the malignant rays that criss-cross the universe. Fortunately, as we have seen, it is possible to assure such protection by relatively simple means.

Provided these dangerous rays have a kind of physio-chemical plausibility, it is easy to convince people they exist. Since the idea of radioactivity is now familiar to everyone, it can be understood by analogy that there are cosmic and telluric waves which have detrimental effects on human beings. But it will be much harder for me to make my readers take me seriously when I say that by drawing two perpendicular lines with a point in common, we obtain the shortest and most powerful vibration in the universe, the one I have already mentioned in connection with colors: negative green.

These vibrations produced by a right angle are shape waves, that is, waves engendered by shapes as their name implies.

When they are emitted by symmetrical geometrical shapes, they are favorable to the equilibrium of living organisms. They are unfavorable when they come from shapes that are irregular, non-compensated, or dissociated to project malignant energy.

We have here come to the impassable no-man’s land that separates science from magic.

If it is true, as I believe, that this vibration is created by angular refraction, it is easy to imagine the superhuman power wielded by someone capable of aiming, wherever and however he chooses, the formidable artillery of shape waves contained in an ordinary geometry textbook.

We are already familiar with the Law of the Trapezoid, and with Mortensen’s observations in his The Command to Look (#20J) about the psychological impact of different shapes and masses. De Lafforest is moving us another step towards the “machinery” involved, i.e. the impact of specific wave-lengths on the electromagnetic spectrum on the human brain & psyche. Further that angles of intersecting planes generate waves/fields which may or may not be within the visible EMS.

Isn’t this fun and weird? Look around the room right now and start worrying about all the negative green that you never knew was stalking you like one of Colin Wilson’s mind parasites ...

And that’s just within the visible range.

Back in 1975 a looker-into-strange-things named John Keel wrote a fascinating little book called The Eighth Tower (NY: Signet #451-E7460). Its title takes off from that evocative passage in William Seabrook’s Adventures in Arabia:

Originally Posted By: Seabrook
Stretching across Asia, from Northern Manchuria, through Thibet, west through Persia, and ending in the Kurdistan, was a chain of seven towers, on isolated mountain-tops; and in each of these towers sat continually a priest of Satan, who by “broadcasting” occult vibrations controlled the destinies of the world for evil.

Seabrook considered the Shrine of Sheikh Adi of the Yezidis to be the westernmost of these towers, and the entire legend formed the basis for the Church of Satan’s IV°, whose Initiates were originally conceived to be such Sorcerers.

Keel’s “eighth tower” derived from this notion of “broadcasting”; his book was a journey through the oddities of the entire EMS. In this he was less rigorously scientific than Dr. Becker in #17F [cf. my “Salamander Bones and the Seven Towers of Satan”, Runes #III-3], but interesting nonetheless.

At the bottom of the EMS (0-1,000 cycles/second) we have AC current, electric power motors, VLF radio, telephones, hi-fi audio, etc. In the 100 kilocycles-100 megacycles range LF/MF/HF radio. Moving on into the 100-1,000 kilometer range we encounter VHF and UHF radio, radar, infrared, microwave. Somewhere between 1013 and 1015 KM we have the visible light spectrum, i.e. everything that we can [normally] see. At 1016-17 you get X-rays, then Gamma rays 1018-19, then cosmic rays at 1020-21.

Keel went on to hypothesize a “superspectrum” that would account for field phenomena, magnetism, gravity, and linkages of the ESP type. Whether you care to buy that immediately, and I’m not suggesting that you do, he does make the point that there are a lot of things taking place around us all the time that we can’t [normally] see or hear, although we can measure some of it.

If you have a dog or a cat, you’re doubtless familiar with its occasional tendency to “see a ghost”. It starts, looks intently at some corner of the room, growls, etc. You look, and there is nothing there. Well, nothing that your EMS capabilities can detect!
Taking a leaf from HTK and one from ET, consider that certain environments may generate or alter existing EMS wave patterns, thus “shape waves”, and allow some or all persons in the vicinity to see or hear phenomena otherwise inaccessible to them. This depending upon the individual sensitivity of each person to his/her EMS range. And there you have haunted houses, ghosts, and those color-ful specters ...

#29730 - 09/17/09 10:48 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Final Conflict]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Final Conflict
[
That's not very nice now, is it? But seriously, answer the question: why would you possibly consider Feral House to be a "skinhead" publisher? Perhaps you are the one with such lurid fantasies? Eh? ;\)

A brief look at Feral House's early years and the cadre of folks who were involved does a pretty good job putting a certain amount of credibility, if not subtlety, to the description. Adam was targeting a cross-section of an audience that definitely included Skinheads of all kinds, from Cro-Mags fans to the likes of Bob Heick and the American Front. A quick flip through Art That Kills gives a pretty good sense of who the creative end of things were and a bit of a sense of the audience as well. It was a more diverse scene than simply "skinhead" but for the time I can see how Dr. Aqunio would lump that diversity together.

Hell, ever look at who the participants were for the 8/8/88 rally, probably the most "Feral House" event done at the time?

Now since then Adam has certainly gone in a different direction with his own interests and the kind of things that Feral house puts out.

Edited to Add: I spent a lot of time in the early 90s involved with the NY Hard Core Scene. If you think Skinheads=Nazis you do more damage to the concept that you can possibly imagine. Ever Wikipedia's article on the topic does a fine job of displaying the broadness of the category

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

Edited by Prometheus9 (09/17/09 10:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Adding content

#29731 - 09/17/09 11:00 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Prometheus9]
Final Conflict Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Prometheus9

A brief look at Feral House's early years and the cadre of folks who were involved does a pretty good job putting a certain amount of credibility, if not subtlety, to the description. Adam was targeting a cross-section of an audience that definitely included Skinheads of all kinds, from Cro-Mags fans to the likes of Bob Heick and the American Front.

I have no idea where you get your information, but Adam Parfrey never "targeted" a skinhead audience or Bob Heick/American Front/Neo-Nazis or anything of that sort.

I'd suggest looking up the Wikipedia article on Feral House and the associated links presented on that page to various interviews and articles on Parfrey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_House

There is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that Feral House is or was in any way a "skinhead" publisher. That very description doesn't even make any sense.

Lastly, did I ever say skinheads are all neo-Nazis? No. However, it is clear from Dr. Aquino's use of the term in context that this was the suggestion he was making, since to the average person "skinhead" does indeed equal neo-Nazism.

If Dr. Aquino disagrees with me and did not intend for any such conclusion being made, then he should edit that text and remove the absurd reference to Feral House being a "skinhead" publisher (which again, makes no sense) or qualify that statement with an explanation.

Dr. Aquino has also failed to answer the last question I posed to him, as well as a number of others. But let's take this step by step.

#29732 - 09/17/09 11:08 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Final Conflict]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

Did I say there was? No. The Doctor himself was of Jewish descent. But there is a problem with being a self-hating Jew, which Barry Dubin is. Otherwise, why would he go to great lengths to hide his Jewish heritage and kiss the asses of European neo-Nazis? You'd really have to be a self-loathing, miserable parasite of a person to do that.

Nikolas is, in my limited experience, a twice-certified asshole but the closest to a "Neo-Nazi" he was ever associated with was Bob Heick. He, like Boyd Rice better and before him, had a huge hard-on for Fascist Aesthetics and making an offensive ass of himself but it never went any further than that.

#29733 - 09/17/09 11:21 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Final Conflict]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

I have no idea where you get your information, but Adam Parfrey never "targeted" a skinhead audience or Bob Heick/American Front/Neo-Nazis or anything of that sort.

Seriously, you really think that? How familiar with the early material published by Feral House (and AMOK before that) and who the general audience was?

Hell ask Adam who his initial audience was. He has a good sense of it.

More specifically regarding Heick, you Bob was one of the people involved with the 8/8/88 rally, yes?

Quote:
Lastly, did I ever say skinheads are all neo-Nazis? No. However, it is clear from Dr. Aquino's use of the term in context that this was the suggestion he was making, since to the average person "skinhead" does indeed equal neo-Nazism.

You're making a "mind read" of intent from an author who has clearly stated that was not his intention. So either he is lying, or more likely, your "mind read" was wrong.

Yes, I think it is a mischaracterization on Dr. Aqunio's part but an understandable one from someone who was not plugged into any of the associated scenes (Industrial, Hard Core, Low Brow Art, etc.) that Feral House was drawing from and marketing to.

#29734 - 09/17/09 11:26 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino

Did a quick rummage; don't have that issue.

It would be a copyright nightmare but I really wish someone would do a high quality scan of the back issues of The Cloven Hoof. As someone who was completely outside of any of the ups, downs and tactical alterations it would make a fantastic way of charting the changes.

#29735 - 09/17/09 11:27 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Prometheus9]
Final Conflict Offline
stranger

Nikolas is, in my limited experience, a twice-certified asshole but the closest to a "Neo-Nazi" he was ever associated with was Bob Heick. He, like Boyd Rice better and before him, had a huge hard-on for Fascist Aesthetics and making an offensive ass of himself but it never went any further than that.

As far as I know, Nicholas was never associated with Bob Heick or any American neo-Nazi groups. If he was, that's news to me.

Boyd Rice's "association" with Heick and the American Front has been grossly over exaggerated and misunderstood, which I addressed in a post in the video forum concerning his interview with Tom Metzger of WAR. Rice was widely known at the time for his pranks, and such pranks also included having a bit fun with the neo-Nazis at their expense - unbeknownst to any of them at the time was the fact that Rice was a card-carrying member of the Church of Satan.

Mind you, I don't much care for Boyd Rice since he's one of those characters who is more known for his close connections to famous counter-culture figures than for anything he's actually done. That said he was an early pioneer of industrial music and one of the first American artists to make use of tape loops.

#29736 - 09/17/09 11:33 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Prometheus9]
Final Conflict Offline
stranger

Hell ask Adam who his initial audience was. He has a good sense of it.

More specifically regarding Heick, you Bob was one of the people involved with the 8/8/88 rally, yes?

Hate to break it to you, but that "rally" had nothing to do with neo-Nazism or involved any neo-Nazi groups.

It was a tongue-in-cheek goth-oriented event in San Francisco.

Here's a link to a poster and some photos: http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:J91...lient=firefox-a

#29737 - 09/17/09 11:39 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Final Conflict]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

As far as I know, Nicholas was never associated with Bob Heick or any American neo-Nazi groups. If he was, that's news to me.

Nikolas, like a lot of folks (again, see Art That Kills) was part of the same social circle. It wasn't ever anything formal in terms of affiliations. Think of it more as the equivalent of drinking buddies only the glue was being into extremism rather than Scotch.

Quote:
Boyd Rice's "association" with Heick and the American Front has been grossly over exaggerated and misunderstood...

Trust me you, you can save the lecture, at least for me.

Even Bob himself was largely misunderstood. He was more the pissy kid who didn't like the Hippy bullshit he ran into than it was any understanding or interest in fascism in any form. But he got taken up in his rhetoric like most folks do.

Quote:
Rice was widely known at the time for his pranks, and such pranks also included having a bit fun with the neo-Nazis at their expense - unbeknownst to any of them at the time was the fact that Rice was a card-carrying member of the Church of Satan.

Oh, most of them knew. And there was less of a prank going on than you might think, or at least not the prank that you're thinking of. Ever hear Boyd reasoning for getting into contact with the White Power folks?

Quote:
Mind you, I don't much care for Boyd Rice since he's one of those characters who is more known for his close connections to famous counter-culture figures than for anything he's actually done. That said he was an early pioneer of industrial music and one of the first American artists to make use of tape loops.

I think you might have an unfair characterization there. Boyd's output with Re/Search, Pop Void, etc. was a lot of fun and his role in the early Industrial and Post-Industrial scenes were vitally important to the genres. It's somewhat hagiographic but the introduction to Creation Books Standing in Two Circles collection of Rice's work lays out in detail the various arenas he's worked in.

Who are thinking of in his regard as having known that overshadows his own output?

#29738 - 09/17/09 11:45 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Prometheus9]
Jake999 Offline

It would be a copyright nightmare but I really wish someone would do a high quality scan of the back issues of The Cloven Hoof. As someone who was completely outside of any of the ups, downs and tactical alterations it would make a fantastic way of charting the changes.

Not to mention the style of The Cloven Hoof itself! It went through many changes and styles, from the book-like format (my favorite) to at times a one-page leaflet style and several styles in between. I could spend HOURS going through my collection of Cloven Hoof issues, and wish now that scanning HAD been an option before they were unceremoniously ripped from my possession by the simple misdirecting of single box within the myriad of boxes in my household goods shipment. Unfortunately, things hadn't progressed that far with home computers yet and affordable peripherals.

(For those of you who've never had the joy of a military PCS (Permanent Change of Station), the military sends movers to your house with orders to "pack everything." And they PACK EVERYTHING. It only takes one over zealous mover to make you remember to take the trash out the night before they get there, else you will have it when you reach your new duty assignment. UNFORTUNATELY, horror stories abound about missing items, boxes, etc. The military household goods section has a direct pipeline to a black hole. And once something goes into a black hole, it never comes out.)

#29739 - 09/17/09 11:48 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Final Conflict]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

Hate to break it to you, but that "rally" had nothing to do with neo-Nazism or involved any neo-Nazi groups.

Yes one the first, no on the second.

Don't believe me though. See if you can track down the video of the event (John Aes-Nihil may be selling it). Or the little salute picture on page 198 of Art That Kills.

Some great shots of James Mason with the Gilmores in that book as well. God that guy was a douche-bag...

#29740 - 09/17/09 11:55 PM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Prometheus9]
Final Conflict Offline
stranger

Yes one the first, no on the second.

Don't believe me though. See if you can track down the video of the event (John Aes-Nihil may be selling it). Or the little salute picture on page 198 of Art That Kills.

Some great shots of James Mason with the Gilmores in that book as well. God that guy was a douche-bag...

For anyone who is interested, here's a link to the book Art That Kills: http://www.amazon.com/Art-That-Kills-Panoramic-Aesthetic/dp/1840681403

The book was written and compiled in the same vein as the now famous (or infamous, rather) "Apocalypse Culture" by Adam Parfrey, neither of which endorse or promote any strand of thought, but chronicle various fringe elements of the American counterculture.

#29744 - 09/18/09 12:31 AM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Jake999]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Jake999

Not to mention the style of The Cloven Hoof itself! It went through many changes and styles, from the book-like format (my favorite) to at times a one-page leaflet style and several styles in between.

It's one of my two "dream projects" related to LaVey/the Church of Satan. The other one would be a high quality art book/coffee table book of LaVeys paintings and other art works. Unfortunately that last project seems even less likely given the dispersal of his output.

#29747 - 09/18/09 01:00 AM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999

Not to mention the style of The Cloven Hoof itself! It went through many changes and styles, from the book-like format (my favorite) to at times a one-page leaflet style and several styles in between. I could spend HOURS going through my collection of Cloven Hoof issues, and wish now that scanning HAD been an option before they were unceremoniously ripped from my possession by the simple misdirecting of single box within the myriad of boxes in my household goods shipment. Unfortunately, things hadn't progressed that far with home computers yet and affordable peripherals.

The Church had no newsletter until 1969, presumably because until then it was still just a San Francisco operation. That year a few bulletins entitled "From the Devil's Notebook" were sent out, and the monthly The Cloven Hoof started at the beginning of 1970. Up through September 1971 they would be almost impossible to scan, since they were mimeographed on various shades of dark-grey, red, yellow, green coarse paper. I took over the Editorship in November 1971 and ran it on mimeograph on white paper (with Anton's red goat masthead) until June 72, when I typed it up on digest-size pages and we printed it as an offset-booklet digest. That was neat but expensive, so in September 73 we switched back to typed-page masters, which I would send to Diane to photocopy. That was how it continued until my departure in May 75.

With the exception of a few illustrations and diagrams in the digest issues, the Hoof was pretty much all text, except that the earliest issues had photocopied art covers by Anton.

Among the more amusing line-drawings in the earliest issues were the amulets that the Church sold: medallions made with the same baked/scratched/painted process on copper as was used for the degree-Baphomets (which of course were not openly sold). So there were amulets for protection, wealth, curse, attraction, wisdom, etc. The "wisdom" one had two poles with lines wrapping around them. I asked Anton what that was all about, since I didn't recall it from any medieval grimoire. He said that anyone foolish enough to think that wearing an amulet would make him smart was good only for watching TV, so he designed the medallion with two "rabbit ear" antennae on it. \:D The funnier postscript to this is that several of the Church's amulets were later imitated by mass-produced "head shop" medal-makers. For years thereafter you could walk into occult shops and find Anton's "rabbit ears" being sold in slick packaging as "an ancient amulet of wisdom".

#29748 - 09/18/09 01:23 AM Re: Church of Satan & Temple of The Vampire [Re: Prometheus9]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

The other one would be a high quality art book/coffee table book of LaVeys paintings and other art works. Unfortunately that last project seems even less likely given the dispersal of his output.

He had several oil paintings on display in the entrance hall and the Purple Room; you can see one of them in the COS Plates section (over the PR bookcase), and if you have Burton Wolfe's 1974 The Devil's Avenger, there is a B&W photo of another one of them therein. I am not sure whether Anton or others painted the wall murals in the kitchen & bathroom. Besides this there were Anton's CH covers, various ink sketches of buildings, and numerous caricatures both whimsical and savage.

I also think that the camera lingers on several of his paintings in the Satanis movie, so you could freeze-frame that.

The 6114 photos in COS were just me and my Kodak Brownie taking a quick run through the house with A&D's permission, to generate a set of color slides to send around to the Grottos (most of whose members had never seen the place). I wish now that I had photographed every inch of it to make publicly available for history. Perhaps someone else has; one can hope.

Page 5 of 17 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.032 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.