Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#40299 - 07/15/10 02:57 PM No offense iPhone-ers...
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I giggled myself out of my chair this morning.

#40300 - 07/15/10 03:15 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

LMAO!

I about pissed myself laughing.

"It has an app that builds you an island and then turns into a jet and fucking flies you there!"

"I don't care."

Instant classic.

#40301 - 07/15/10 03:24 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Fnord Offline

It took me several times through before I could watch it without laughing. Comedy gold, IMHO.

#40310 - 07/15/10 07:08 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: Fnord]
zippadydooda Offline
pledge

Loc: San Diego, California
That was so funny, that "I think I'm having an aneurysm." I enjoyed how acuratly it nailed how stupid the average consumer is. Shitty brown kitty thing gets told that the evo is better in every possible way, and yet she still wants an iPhone4. The sad part though, is that this will likely be forgotton within a months time.

#40317 - 07/15/10 11:15 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: zippadydooda]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Customer service is always like this. Try as you may, many people are not only impervious to reason, but can't own up to their own booboos when they suffer the consequences of their own stupidity.

THEM: "I'd like a Whataburger and a medium coke."

ME: "You realize the value meal would be cheaper?"

THEM: "No, I don't want the fries."

ME: "We could leave the fries out... it would still cost less."

THEM: "No, just give me the burger and drink."

ME: *sigh* "OK, your total is $5.25."

THEM: "Wait? $5.25? The meal is $4.50!"

ME: "Yep."

THEM: "Then it would be cheaper if I just got the meal! Why didn't you tell me that? I want to change my order."

ME: *facepalm*

The public is really stupid.

#40329 - 07/16/10 02:43 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: XiaoGui17]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
This video is hilarious!
I'm too poor for a fancy cellphone but if I had the cash I'd get me a droid. An snes emulator in my pocket is what gets my dollar.

My time working in retail I've found it's mostly a particular group of middle to upper middle class that have faith in logos. Their brand loyalty overrides all possible logic.

A good example is in the cereal isles of grocery stores. You can get some generic fruity pebbles that taste exactly the same as the name brand. You get more. It costs less. Yet they still pay extra for less just so they can see Fred and Barney on the box. These are the same people spending over a hundred dollars on a single pair of pants or shoes because they have the right logo on the tag.

I haven't lived in any other countries to comment on them, but I sure know in America the upper-middle class is populated mostly of sheltered ignorant dumbshits.

#40353 - 07/16/10 08:40 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: TV is God]
zippadydooda Offline
pledge

Loc: San Diego, California
 Originally Posted By: TV is God
I sure know in America the upper-middle class is populated mostly of sheltered ignorant dumbshits.

I think you just made my day.

A good example is in the cereal isles of grocery stores. You can get some generic fruity pebbles that taste exactly the same as the name brand. You get more. It costs less. Yet they still pay extra for less just so they can see Fred and Barney on the box.

You're after me lucky charms!

I think it just boils down to people thinking that the recognized brand makes a better product than the generic for no reason other than seeing a commercial for it on TV, or reading about it in a magazine.

#40376 - 07/17/10 12:52 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: TV is God]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Great video. It's a perfect illustration as to how the average consumer can get swept up in the hysteria of a new product such as this. Sure, I wanted a PS3 and an Xbox 360 when they first came out, but I NEVER buy the first generation of a new technology. Aside from the fact that I usually can't afford them when they're first released, there are always bugs still to be worked out. Just look at the "red ring of death" fiasco with the first gen of Xbox 360.

My money is on the Droid as well. Verizon was recently running a special where you could buy one Droid and get another one free. Fuck iPhone, and Apple, and Steve Jobs. His last name is Jobs. Insert what you want in front of it, and it will sound funny.

However, despite the fact that the Droid isn't available on their network, I'm seriously thinking about checking out Cricket, a new up and coming mobile company. On the surface of things, their plans sound incredible, but I'll need to do more research.

Homo Homini Lupus

#40414 - 07/18/10 01:54 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: Draculesti]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I started out with cricket. It wasn't too bad, but you can't travel with it and they have the shittiest customer service on earth.
#40477 - 07/19/10 10:19 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: TV is God]
Fnord Offline

I haven't lived in any other countries to comment on them, but I sure know in America the upper-middle class is populated mostly of sheltered ignorant dumbshits.

Well, that would be myself and most of my friends.

For the most part, the middle class and upper middle class are comprised of people who don't come from money, but who work their asses off for what they have. I know I have and I know being a sheltered ignorant dumbshit didn't get me here.

I can assure you that I personally have faced down hardships and situations in standing on my own feet and earning my own way that would have sent some crawling for shelter.

I personally think people who make sweeping statements about groups of other people that they don't even know SHOW themselves to be ignorant dumbshits.

#40478 - 07/19/10 10:48 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: Fnord]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Almost all the upper middle class that I have met - especially the kids - are brand-obsessed as well as sheltered ignorant dumbshits. And while I'm sure there are some who actually do claw their way up to middle-shelf, most of them got a degree on daddy's dime and skate through life blissfully ignorant of true struggle and strife.

I can assure you that everyone on this board has some harrowing tale of overcoming the odds and blahblahblah...it's a fuckin' Satanism forum, for shit's sake. One of the core beliefs that spans all walk of Satanist is that you bust your fuckin' hump and make shit happen.

Go do some yoga or buy another 60$ t-shirt...and quit whining.

#40482 - 07/19/10 11:08 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: ceruleansteel]
Fnord Offline

Who's whining?

You're making generalizations that you can't back up that sound a lot like whiny sour grapes to me. Certainly few of my friends got by on daddy's dime. I worked three jobs and took out loans to get through school with no help from anybody which is the only way I'd have it.

Also, brand loyalty stretches across all walks of life. I've seen plenty of folks who live in distressed houses yet drive a Lexus or a Mercedes so they can show off a status symbol. Also, just as likely, their kids are probably wearing the latest Nike's and have a iPod.

Condemn me if you like, but you don't know me.

#40486 - 07/19/10 12:28 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: Fnord]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I would consider myself comfortably in the middle class. Not really upper, but nor do I want for anything. I do not come from money, my family was po'. Everything I have I have gotten by my own wits and hard work.

I know of many lowlife scumbags that come from money, yet through abusing their situation have been cut off due to their own stupid choices. I also know people that come from money that work hard, using those extra resources wisely to get even further ahead.

I know many that come from nothing and stay there. Also many that claw their way out. Every story is different.

I guess my point is that stupidity and laziness transcend social boundaries, as do such things as intelligence, drive, and Will.

#40499 - 07/19/10 04:06 PM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: Dan_Dread]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I think it's clear I used the term MOSTLY. I'm not saying this is something exclusive to the middle class or that every middle class person is like that. In fact you are right, there are plenty in the lower class that have the exact same mentality.

But I do feel very comfortable saying the vast majority of the middle class fits this profile.

Quote:

For the most part, the middle class and upper middle class are comprised of people who don't come from money, but who work their asses off for what they have. I know I have and I know being a sheltered ignorant dumbshit didn't get me here.

I have respect for anyone who did bust their ass to get there. But to say "for the most part"? That I cannot believe.
Just go to any expensive shopping district or expensive mall store. You'll see what the middle class is for the most part.

Being an ignorant dumbshit doesn't get you there, but it sure as hell can keep you there.

I suppose maybe the process is not as bad in a bigger city where people live closer to each other. But in the towns and smaller cities I've lived in the formula is the same. Kids are born into a family with money. This family lives in a "nice neighbourhood" where everybody has a presentable house and is dressed "well" (which should read as "plain and expensive") They are brought up in this little circle where everybody's so proper and respectful to each other. And every sunday they meet up at church where they whip out the even MORE expensive clothes.
They keep their kids away from anybody that doesn't "look right" (like them) They slam into their heads to stay with their own kind.
They make it through high school easy (because it doesn't take any brains to do that) and then their way is paid through college. They usually become either very paranoid of all people and flock to their own kind, do the same but to their church, or most often think they've finally hit that "rebellious" part of their life and become a drunken "bro." (The worst kind of person is a "bro." I have more respect for a crack-head.)

And then they usually get an easy as fuck job handed to them (because they have family and know the right people.) Where they begin the process again by having more useless children.

Believe me I could attack the lower class the same. I think that the vast majority of all humans are ignorant dumbshits but in different ways. I just find the common brandwhore from money to be America's pick of the litter.

#40545 - 07/20/10 11:38 AM Re: No offense iPhone-ers... [Re: TV is God]
Fnord Offline

I think it's clear I used the term MOSTLY.
But I do feel very comfortable saying the vast majority of the middle class fits this profile.

I'm not comfortable making sweeping statements about large groups of people. In fact, I'm not much on making large sweeping statements about anything at all because there's always some little detail or some small (or large) angle that I haven't thought of that will inevitably prove me wrong. To avoid this, I tend to be very careful about the definitive terms that I use. In your example of MOSTLY, I can think of 20 people who I associate with who aren't even close to matching your standard. In this way, your statement appears to be false to me, though in your experience it may be true to you. It's a very subjective statement and is only true (or false) depending on the instrument that is measuring it (the person reading the statement).

This is essentially what I've called you out on, not that you have an opinion one way or another about a particular socio economic class.

I think an important lesson that may hit rather close to home is the example of the Satanic Panic. Satanists were painted with a very broad brush and inaccurately grouped together with xian heretics. I daresay this is still the case and I would also venture to say that you personally would strive to correct someone who would seek to erroneously group you into the common collective idea of what Satanism is (which is mostly error).

Being a staunch individualist I tend to nitpick and fight any label that anyone tries to apply to me because I'll inevitably disagree with some small part of their definition of what the label means.

Anyway, I do apologize for referring to you as a dumbshit yesterday. That part didn't add anything to my arguments and is a bit embarrassing to read today (chalk it up to heat of the moment).

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.032 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.