Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#40332 - 07/16/10 08:44 AM Guns, Germs and Steel
Stag Offline
pledge

Turned up these videos whilst researching a related post.

I appears that PBS made a documentary about Jared Diamond's book, Guns, Germs and Steel, which explores the factors that gave rise to the Western European cultural dominance.

I have to admit I have not actually watched the vids in full, so cannot attest to their quality. The first five minutes look interesting, though! If anyone happens to have 3 hours to kill on a rainy afternoon and would like to post a review, please be my guest.

#40393 - 07/17/10 12:33 PM Re: Guns, Germs and Steel [Re: Stag]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Thanks for the link Stag. I was familiar with his work but never saw this documentary. It is 3 hours well spent and I can recommend it to anyone familiar or not with his ideas.

Personally I do think that besides our geographic location, which gave us a head start for conquest, a genetic predisposition for aggression and/or violence might have been an important factor too. Eurasia is a region which has been at war constantly, probably as long as there have been inhabitants in that region and as a result, traits which benefited to that might have become the standard.

One wouldn't think so when looking at the current inhabitants but I do think we are bred to kill.

D.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.