Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#47856 - 02/02/11 02:14 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
Jake999 Offline

Go far, far away.

Yeah. It's a one liner. Sue me.

#47978 - 02/03/11 03:22 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Lamar]
Meatl Gear Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Lamar
 Originally Posted By: Meatl Gear

I think symbolic Satanism is different from Lavey Satanism. In symbolic Satanism, you don't believe the devil exists, but you believe that in the condition that the devil did exist, you would indeed worship the devil.

How many people think that way?

But if a literal Satan did exist by the Christian definition, wouldn't he already be condemed to Hell? You would worship a deity that is destined to fail in the end?

I would rather live in hell, as a warrior, then live elsewhere as a slave. Hail satan!

If you talk to a Muslim, he/she will tell you that they believe in the bible, but the bible has been corrupted. If you talk to me, I'll say that people wrote the bible in a way that made Satan lose, but the game isn't over yet.

Edited by Meatl Gear (02/03/11 03:23 PM)

#48058 - 02/04/11 05:22 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
Fabiano Offline

Originally Posted By: Lamar

I think symbolic Satanism is different from Lavey Satanism. In symbolic Satanism, you don't believe the devil exists, but you believe that in the condition that the devil did exist, you would indeed worship the devil.

How many people think that way?

But if a literal Satan did exist by the Christian definition, wouldn't he already be condemed to Hell? You would worship a deity that is destined to fail in the end?

I would rather live in hell, as a warrior, then live elsewhere as a slave. Hail satan!

If you talk to a Muslim, he/she will tell you that they believe in the bible, but the bible has been corrupted. If you talk to me, I'll say that people wrote the bible in a way that made Satan lose, but the game isn't over yet.

Neither symbolic Satanism nor Laveyan Satanism exist. They're both chimeras in your mind.

BTW, Muslims believe in Allah and consider the Coran as their sacred text, it's not the same as believing in 200g of paper, even if named "The Bible". ;\)

#48069 - 02/04/11 07:20 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Fabiano]
Meatl Gear Offline
stranger

Though Muslims believe the Koran is the latest revelation, they believe the torah and gospels were previous revelations, but that the people corrupted them. Then the koran was sent down to correct the things that were ruined.
#48106 - 02/05/11 12:00 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
nocTifer Offline
pledge

Loc: Khazakstan
...I do not try to match {Anton LaVey} step for step philosophically. What do you do? ...

I survey the whole of religious and secular philosophy, evaluate what I like about it, how any portion might assist or influence my experience, and how it compares with my notions of the real. I haven't noticed that LaVey's ideas are any more important to me than those of L. Ron Hubbard or Aleister Crowley. I prefer the writings of Lao, Lieh, K'ung Fu, Nagarjuna; text evaluating the complexities such as by Fung Yu Lan or Wing-tsit Chang; and fun explorations by Plato (Apology), Descartes (Cogito), down to modern amusements in Carse (Games), Hofstadter (Recursion and Consciousness), Dennett (Identity and Consciousness), and Smullyan (Logic).

I see no others around me who resemble me, and find no reason to consider comparisons between me and religious of any style. My construction and application of philosophic principles knows no like, and the activation of my Satanism proceeds out of compassion rather than intellection (i.e. it is active and service-oriented, not orientational).

Edited by nocTifer (02/05/11 12:21 PM)

#48172 - 02/06/11 01:40 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Knievel74]
Tallulah Offline
stranger

I don't try to be like anybody. I am who I am, rather effortlessly :). Anton LaVey was an interesting man, devious and clever to have acquired such a following when his philosophy was about individual will and freedom. I can agree with his philosophy or disagree, but appreciate him for what he accomplished and the fun he had doing it.

#48189 - 02/06/11 07:55 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Tallulah]
unrested Offline
stranger

Loc: Osaka, Japan
although i respect the man and his introduction of Satanism in such an entertaining way I do not go out of my way try to emulate him. although my thoughts are mere theory i would imagine he himself would want others to be who they are naturally and freely rather than copy him in any manner that was forced or remotely idol worship. no matter how corpreal or completely existential your satanic beliefs are i am quite sure we all agree on the most epic and widely known epitaph of "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." following in his footsteps via education or personal taste is one thing but copying the man to a zealous point would indeed defeat this verse entirely and in so doing defeat the mainstay of Satanism itself.

#48203 - 02/06/11 10:27 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
StarlessAeon Offline
stranger

Do I try to be like him? To give a short answer:

No.

He was a mortal man with ideas like anyone else. I just happen to agree with a lot of his ideas. However, he is not infallible.

#48283 - 02/07/11 02:31 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
myk5 Offline

I like Anton Szandor LaVey's books, I'm in alignment with many of his ideas, but Anton's life is not one I consider successful enough for me see any virtue in modelling mine after his.

Wally Wood was an alcoholic and a failure, but I would sooner imitate him for his accomplishments as a cartoonist truly inspire me.

Edited by myk5 (02/07/11 02:31 AM)

#48363 - 02/08/11 07:05 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: myk5]
Seth_W Offline
stranger

why would you want to imitate anyone?

...why cant we be the one that people want to imitate?? ill expose to you a little secret, it is a possibility!
its all in the steps we take. most of us lack the will power to turn off the game or tv or internet and get our asses in gear though...were just regular people right? whatever the fuck that is.

when a man gives us his mind such as Anton LaVey we tend become that mind, we should take it and expand "our" own instead of overwriting it.

#48764 - 02/12/11 09:05 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Seth_W]
TrollovGrimness Offline
stranger

Loc: Montreal
Yeah I try to be like him. I don't try to look like him or act like him but so much of his body of writing was about his personal life, his keyboards, his lion, whatever you could go on listing personal references. I aspire to love things and have passionate ideas the way he did.

A large part of Satanism is being a Satanist. Which means really.. being a sycophant to what that is. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Where you have to draw the line is that you don't have to like carnivals, or whatever else LaVey liked to admire him and his thoughts on the world and his past. I aspire to have the same enjoyment for things that he had.

#48896 - 02/15/11 11:23 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
GeorgeDeadson Offline
stranger

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think Anton LaVey did have some good ideas but I don't think trying to be like him would be very satanic. What defines a satanist is your views on the Satanic Bible. If you find yourself in agreeance (im making it a word) with it you are a satanist. A person is born a satanist, its not something you conform too. A person can decide to become a satanist, but its going to take the will to change, if you honestly want to become one. I think Satanism promotes individuality. To be satanic is to be yourself.

#48917 - 02/16/11 02:43 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: GeorgeDeadson]
myk5 Offline

I have been thinking over the contributions LaVey has made to me personally through his writing. And to Chaos magic, though i do understand many here could care less.

First, the notion of willful indulgence...but NEVER compulsion. This is a tremendous insight and actually constitutes a difficult discipline if accepted completely. I actually feel this concept prepared me to accept Zen, though of course my friend who is into Zen suggests I'm full of it and similarly I expect some Satanists will echo that sentiment. Still, my subjective sense of things is what it is.

The use of the Enochian keys in an atheistic context for ceremonial magic. This and as well the basic idea of 'intellectual decompression' were truly revolutionary. Sure the idea may have floated about before, but LaVey expressed it clearly and tested it.

The sexual archetype system LaVey expressed in The Satanic Witch, it stuck with me. I have not been able to fault it, I appreciate it for expressing the truth that all body types are someone else's preferred sexual archetype. But I must admit this seems more clear in the Gay community than the straight one. I'm not sure how useful the paradigm is for manipulation though.

If I were to follow LaVey's example, it would be the example put forth in his writing and not his personal life. But really I prefer the freedom to invent the path I mean to follow.

What I find to fault in the Satanic Bible is the constant juxtaposition with what LaVey considers Christian hypocrisy. It thereby honors Christianity with influence and power that now belongs to corporate controlled media.

#48919 - 02/16/11 04:32 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: GeorgeDeadson]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

One simple question: do you have a brain and if so, is it being used? I've now read a few of your responses and noted you are barely adding anything of value towards the subjects. The topic of Boyd Rice (not Byod Rice) is nothing more then fanboy cries and the use of various one-liner comments elsewhere on these boards.

You managed to contradict yourself in 2 sentences.
 Originally Posted By: GeorgeDeadson
A person is born a satanist, its not something you conform too.

And the next sentence:
 Originally Posted By: GeorgeDeadson
A person can decide to become a satanist, but its going to take the will to change, if you honestly want to become one.

Btw: do I need to explain the difference between its/it's and how to punctuate when referring to oneself?

#48934 - 02/16/11 11:49 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Dimitri]
myk5 Offline

Dmitri - makes me think of Lady Gaga's "born this way", where she intentionally did a touch of body modification for her Grammy performance of the song. Her point was that however you are born, the living of your life finding yourself is part of who you had been born to be.

It relates to the contradiction you assert.

I am thinking abstractly that any comment that serves no purpose but to complain about another's post - perhaps such comments are best reserved as private messages?

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.