Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#48969 - 02/16/11 06:38 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: myk5]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
"I am thinking abstractly that any comment that serves no purpose but to complain about another's post - perhaps such comments are best reserved as private messages?"

Some people don't understand no matter how many times you tell them. This forum isn't nice, if you make stupid posts and can't back up your opinions you will be called on it. Sometimes people need public humiliation to help to make them think about the bullshit they write.

Plus the irony is in this post you did exactly the same thing you dislike, as well as pad your post with bullshit to make it more than one line.

Morgan

#51798 - 03/27/11 06:41 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Knievel74]
SPEEDEMON Offline
stranger

Knieevel74 your first two sentences sum it up beautifly. I also think you did right by your freind by not giving him the book. People do alot of very rash things when the are distraught.
#52004 - 03/31/11 09:01 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: SPEEDEMON]
RedAnthrax Offline
lurker

Loc: United States
There is no Devil, and no God.
God and the Devil are symbols and representations of man's emotions. Good and Evil.
The best way to go about life is to not do things for completely good reasons, but no be corrupt either.
Every group thinks that they have it right.
But the best way to live life is to be good, but not a saint, and to be evil, but not a demon.
Don't go out of your way to mess with people, but if they mess with you. Shut them down.
Don't go out of your way to help people, but if you happen upon them along your life's journey, lend a hand. You never know who'll be useful later in life.
Those are just my opinions however.

#52186 - 04/04/11 03:01 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: RedAnthrax]
Fnord Moderator Offline

Loc: Texas
Are you a wannabe life coach or something RedAnthrax?

Quote:
The best way to go about life is to not do things for completely good reasons, but no be corrupt either.

What if someone has an excellent reason to do something that most others would consider 'good'? S/he shouldn't do it because it might be too 'good'? Do you personally base your own decisions on whether your motives might be construed as good or bad? What's wrong with being 'corrupt'? Corrupt by whose standards? Plenty of people would call me corrupt.

Also, there is no Devil? No God? Again, by whose standards?

Your statements are way too broad to be of much value.

Man, I better get back to work, everyone's pissing me off today \:\)

#52330 - 04/06/11 10:47 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Fnord]
Hail Thyself Offline
lurker

Loc: Florida
"Are you a wannabe life coach or something RedAnthrax?"
He's a friend of mine that I told of Satanism, and is fairly new (to Satansim, and the forum), so he just tried to represent what he knew, but ended up spewing out some crap that was full of terms that are different and relative to the person (such as god, evil, etc.).

I agree that just about everything that he said could be interpreted differently by different people.

"The best way to go about life is to not do things for completely good reason, but no be corrupt either."
This just seems to me that he is trying to paint himself as evil, it seems to align with the desire for shock value that I see he wants; but I honestly believe that this forum is the last place he will get any of that.

As far as the original question on the thread, I do not try to live like anyone. If what I do ends up resembling someone else, that's fine, but I would never try to live like someone else. I am who I am and shall not change. Who would one be trying to impress? Random People? I couldn't care less if people that I didn't know perished, let alone care what they thought of my conduct.

And while I'm at it, I guess I'll take this small paragraph as an introduction paragraph--I'm Michael, and I'm 15. That's enough; I look forward to getting back into the forums.

#52522 - 04/08/11 09:48 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
mightisright Offline
stranger

Sometimes I feel that I'm being too much like him. Really, not that I'm personally like him, but that I follow his philosophy just a bit to closely!

Again, one line posts are frowned upon here.... Morgan

Edited by Morgan (04/09/11 08:56 AM)
Edit Reason: warning/information

#61185 - 11/06/11 10:55 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
LeftHandonFeet Offline

I most certainly agree Dr LaVey is an important historical philosopher and his teachings were introduced to the masses at a very timing sensitive need to earth. For that we can never truly repay him for.
As far as living like him, I can honestly say from my years of studying his literature and practicing spirituality that coincides with his teaching that he honestly would prefer if you live your own life to the best of your abilities and however is appropriate for you to make the most of yourself. He did not have in mind for a bunch of mini-mes to mimic him.
Sure he would love for you to agree with him, afterall what philosopher does not have that aim in producing literature on their beliefs? But that does not mean he robbed people of individuality. Instead he offered a replacement and solution to conformity.
Perhaps cases of abuse of authority have been cited by person claiming to represent Dr LaVey and/or the CoS, but I see nothing wrong with standing up for the staple of LaVeyan Satanism that has and still can be used for wonderful purposes. But to each his own, solve your Rubiks Cube at your own pace is the word I would give to anyone discovering their niche or their forte. Some take decades of their lives to realize their ultimate purpose- and purpose is something Dr LaVey was all about.

#62980 - 12/26/11 11:28 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Knievel74]
JaggedJesus Offline
lurker

Loc: Michigan, USA
I think that Anton LaVey has a very powerful impact in my philosophy, but I do not try to be like anybody, living as someone else is a waste of your life.

#63219 - 01/01/12 12:34 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: JaggedJesus]
Shea Offline

Loc: Chicago
LaVey is a pivotal figure in the history of Satanism. Have I grown a goatee, shaved my head and begun wearing an inverted Pentagram in an attempt to achieve, or co-opt, his success? Nope.
I dig LaVey, but I am my own man. Striving to attain any idealistic principles one holds to be true or valuable is fulfilling enough without trying to live up to those of another.

#63237 - 01/01/12 10:42 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
Michael A.Aquino Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
It never occurred to me to try to imitate Anton personally, but I will share one bit of "history" here that may be both amusing and inspirational:

I grew up in a home whose rooms were all painted white. Just about every other home I visited also had its rooms painted white. So did offices, stores, etc. This was so universal and pervasive that I suppose I assumed it inevitable, like black rotary-dial telephones and while appliances.

Well, the first time I walked into 6114 California Street for a 1969 lecture event, I was struck not just by the decorations and curios, but by the room colors. There wasn't a white wall in the entire building. Indeed most of the rooms were called by their wall-colors, which were not pastel either, but in-your-face-rich: Purple Room, Red Room, Blue Room, etc. [See the Plates section of my Church of Satan for some photos.]

I can't tell you how much richer, warmer, and thoroughly gruntling this colored environment was. Suddenly going home to white walls was horrible, like living in a freezer or a morgue. Ever since then, when I could get away with it, I have had richly-colored walls in my homes.

This was a bit tougher in the Army, since on-post officer housing rules are very restrictive. But when I rented the little white house at 701 Bland Street, Brandenburg, KY and founded the Nineveh Grotto, I painted its attic completely black as the Ritual Chamber, and never looked back since. [Had to repaint it white when moving, and I bet subsequent renters/owners have wondered about scratching the attic walls and finding black underneath.]

If there is an underlying "moral" here, it is that Anton was a pioneer in living his idealized, fantasy existence and lifestyle, not conforming to society's standards and expectations. But he did this authentically, because it was his true being, not just to show off, advertise, or shock. Once you appreciate that he was a person who "lived his dreams", including in his surroundings, choice of friends, waking/sleeping hours, and etc., he'll be much more intelligible to you.

This is also why people who simply attempt to superficially imitate Anton's appearance or lifestyle just make fools of themselves. They're completely missing this central point.

#63238 - 01/01/12 10:53 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Tallulah Offline
stranger

I get a 404 error on that page. I've no desire to be anyone but me; however, now that I've read your post, I find myself wanting colored walls! In my case, it may end up being tapestries of some sort.

I fixed Mike's link. - D.

#63369 - 01/06/12 06:33 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
seekswisdom Offline

Loc: California,U.S.
Isn't a true Satanist supposed to be about Satan and not LaVey? That was my immpression why you left the CoS, because he chose filthy lucre over Satan.It's like you have a personal relationship with Satan and it broke your heart when LaVey didnt want to grow closer to Satan anymore.

The colored walls have a great mind calming sense about them, I have blue in the bathroom because it has a calming and peacefull effect.What's your favorite color for the bedroom?

#63370 - 01/06/12 07:10 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: seekswisdom]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Copying anyone is anathema to me but certain people have influenced me to be confident in carving out my own path and Dr LaVey is one of those.
As a typical Aries with a passion for fairgrounds, antiques, big cats, occultism and automata I bet we'd have had some memorable conversations over the claret!
N.B. All of the above were dear to me waaaaaay before I even heard of Dr LaVey, so I guess we're a little alike due to Nature's games. \:\)

#63446 - 01/07/12 11:19 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: felixgarnet]
seekswisdom Offline

Loc: California,U.S.
I belielve we should find our own path too. Dont follow just one guy,book,way,ect. As a Cappricorn, "missed the new year by one day" I strive for perfection, but have always been as courious as a cat. When I was a child I used to rute for the villan on the cartoons and have always loved fairs,carnivals,Halloween,and forbidden knowlegde;"you know the kind god does'nt want us to know".

My husband told me today that you can turn your back on a dog and the dog wont attack,but if you turn on a big cat "watch out".

#63451 - 01/08/12 12:30 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: seekswisdom]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Forgive me if my sentiments are a reiteration of others on this thread . I did not take the time to read the entire thing.

I got mad respect for LaVey. So this is no shame on him post. What I see ,especially in the Church of Satan is a lot of LaVey worship going on . Many people worship the man and fail to live or even see the Satanism. Most of these people will trade in the identity of Satanist for something else eventually. Like changing outta a trendy shirt they thought was cool at hot topic a year ago.

LaVey was the door man of modern Satanism. And I do not mean that in a derogatory manner. He was the one who opened the door for many of us to walk through. I seriously doubt he ever wanted people to imitate him. Or idolize him . I believe he wanted people to truly be individuals and use the foundations of Satanism to empower and improve their own lives.

I bet LaVey is turning in his grave at the state of Satanism today .

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Fnord 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.