Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#64883 - 02/25/12 03:05 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
namingthestars Offline
stranger

I don't try to be like him, I just read his writings, and either agree or disagree with things that he says. Since I already agree with him on the large majority of topics, when I read something he wrote that doesn't sound right to me, I think about it a little more to see if it could be right and I just hadn't thought about it that way, but if I still don't agree, then I don't agree. I'm a lot like him philosophically, though there are plenty of things I disagree with him on. And I don't try to imitate him in life (though I wouldn't mind getting a lion like he had... or, like Lord Byron, a bear).
#65607 - 03/21/12 12:17 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: XiaoGui17]
diamondkrb Offline
lurker

Loc: california/riverside/
I agree with you to a certain extent... Most Individualist like anton la vey/ nietzsche/ hume/ crowley.... and others have been influenzed by others to a certain point... however they may think alike or agree about certain issues they may differ on others. So if someone was trying to get some information or thought or simply just intake on something for instance; and that person's response is "think independently" or "in my opinion" how is that an effective manner of getting people to be or think just like them? im just wonddering \:\)
im karen btw nice to meet you

#65731 - 03/27/12 02:28 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: diamondkrb]
Miss May Offline
pledge

Loc: sebastopol, CA
Satanism is based on discovering one's own ideas, not copying someone else's. The way a satanist lives his or her life is up to them and no one else because they are the one's accountable for their actions. That being said, I am fascinated by Anton and his writing, ideas, and thoughts. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.
#66937 - 05/23/12 11:08 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Miss May]
MCMLXXXVI Offline
stranger

Loc: PA
^
This is a very true statement.

Personally, I give Lavey credit and respect for his philosophies.
While I agree with a good bit of it, I do not think man has a need for religion, ritual or dogma.

To me, a Satanist is the epitome of a survivalist, one who dominates and cares for their self, one that bows to no idol, god or being. Being a Satanist means getting back to that animalistic core within us, our instinct to thrive,to defy and destroy those who are obstacles in our way, embracing our beast and forging our own path, our own life, with our own hands.

That is my opinion though.

#66943 - 05/23/12 11:36 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: MCMLXXXVI]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
 Originally Posted By: MCMLXXXVI
While I agree with a good bit of it, I do not think man has a need for religion, ritual or dogma.

This assertion would seem to contradict many thousands of years of recorded human history. Iím aware of no significant, major society that did not include some form of religion, ritual, or dogma. There may be individuals, or small groups within any given society who do not observe, or need these structures, but I believe LaVey deserves some measure of credit for pointing out again (within the context of Satanism), most people/cultures naturally make, or latch onto something resembling a formal belief system or sociopolitical ideology.

#66992 - 05/24/12 03:23 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Tesseract]
arjunasAscent Offline
pledge

Loc: PA, US
 Originally Posted By: Tesseract
Iím aware of no major society that did not include some form of religion, ritual, or dogma.

I side with your opinion on this issue. With all due respect to Nietzche and his flamboyant plagiarizing poster boy LaVey, God is alive and well. In my illustrious opinion dogma is merely a product of the human condition; Most folks aren't capable of going through life and death without the safety net of hope, however concocted.

Intellect and courage can fall on their knees with sickness and old age. Sooner or later many succumb to despair and fall victim to false hope.

Edited by arjunasAscent (05/24/12 03:27 PM)

#67012 - 05/24/12 11:09 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Tesseract]
MCMLXXXVI Offline
stranger

Loc: PA
 Originally Posted By: Tesseract
 Originally Posted By: MCMLXXXVI

This assertion would seem to contradict many thousands of years of recorded human history. Iím aware of no significant, major society that did not include some form of religion, ritual, or dogma. There may be individuals, or small groups within any given society who do not observe, or need these structures, but I believe LaVey deserves some measure of credit for pointing out again (within the context of Satanism), most people/cultures naturally make, or latch onto something resembling a formal belief system or sociopolitical ideology.

I was stating my own opinion there. But you are correct, there is so much evidence that humans incorporate religion into their lives, even from the early cavemen.

I personally am not religious, which is why I made the statement in the first place.

#70667 - 09/07/12 08:52 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: MCMLXXXVI]
Le Deluge Offline

Anton LaVey would have found the idea of people being like him absurd. I definitely respect both his philosophy and what he (and the early CoS members) had to endure. I have areas of agreement and disagreement with him. I suspect he may have found this preferable in his personal dealings with people. He saw himself as the first person one should question (to paraphrase).

#70670 - 09/07/12 01:06 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Le Deluge]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
Yes, I want to be like LaVey but I can not, because in order to be like him I must have powers, luck and inspiration to create a new movement and to maintain it.
So I wish I could be a quasiLaVey in my own inner world.
I really feel what he is trying to say in his books and I admire his sense of humor, nobody can beat his on this. "shemhameforash"! LOL
His grandma was believed to be from Ukraine. Meybe we are blood related in some generation, who knows...
But fuck Lavey! I am into Michale Ford lately. Michael Ford kicks ass.

Edited by Naama (09/07/12 01:20 PM)

#70678 - 09/08/12 01:52 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
Euronymous Offline
stranger

Loc: san diego, ca
I do not necessarily view LaVey as a guidebook on how to live life. However, I do view him as a very knowledgeable Teacher whose philosophies shined light on many things and brought greater understanding as well. I do not try to match him step for step philosophically, for to do so would be absolutely asinine. I concur with his beliefs on Satanism and definition of a Satanist. I have read all his books and extracted the wisdom from each one. Having said that, no one knew the nature of man and his underlying motivations like LaVey did and the more I live, the more I can appreciate the words he said and see the truth in them. Each Satanist is His or Her own master/God, but you can obviously have different teachers, mentors etc, which you can draw information and knowledge from to improve your life.

#70764 - 09/11/12 11:07 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Meatl Gear]
Ignotum Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

I am glad to answer this \:\)
It's a good question
My answer is no, I don't try to be like him. Anton LaVey was a great thinker... the greatest of the past century I guess.
But he was, now I am
I don't want to be like him or to be like nobody. I am who I am and I'm very happy being me

#82005 - 11/06/13 07:11 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Ignotum]
UniversalSatanic Offline
stranger

Loc: Europe
I use his knowledge in daily life.
But I do not walk in his footsteps,nor trying to be like him.
And by the way I don't think that was his intention anyway.

#82522 - 11/20/13 09:18 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: Knievel74]
Cameron
Unregistered

I see Anton LaVey as both a great philosopher and a role model because of his way of life and due to the fact that I am laveyan
The main rules that are stated on the sight and the passages are a great use to get through day to day problems and solving troubles.

#82684 - 11/27/13 06:52 AM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: ]
pullllga Offline
stranger

LaVey is a great philosopher and of course I'm influenced by him. But I do not try to be like him or be like anyone I've read about. I have my own mind and I form my own opinions and not try to be like anyone else.
#83593 - 12/23/13 09:19 PM Re: Anton Lavey - Do you try to be like him? [Re: myk5]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
For me Dr Lavey is an influence along with people such as Aquino, Webb, Freydis, Wilson and several others. He gives me tools that I can put in my bag to use in life.
I chose to be me, I think the problem with Gilmore is that he tries to be like Lavey therefore he comes off as the terrible sequel to the original.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.031 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 29 queries. Zlib compression disabled.