Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#40712 - 07/23/10 07:52 PM Death Fetish
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
I find myself contemplating heavily before I retire for the night, on dying and the process of dying. Sometimes I think so deeply into the matter that I have to force myself to stop and go to sleep, lest I be accompanied by dread and often terror. I wonder at night what it will feel like to lose consciousness and to breathe no more. It's frightening at times.
I wonder who will remember me after years have gone by and what I'll be remembered for.

Sometimes I contemplate the relationship between man's security and religion in regards to death. If you think about it, the common man needs religion (ie Christianity, Islam, Theism etc.) for security, as if to keep him calm when the thought of death comes, to make dying an easier process. As comforting as that old lie may be, the lie that says you will be reunited with family in the clouds, I find that for myself atleast that to die in self-deceit...I would not have been truly alive. If that makes sense.
I ponder time often and rythmn in regards to death. It's as though our very beating heart is drumming to death's rythmn - counting down through the "death beats" until you die. Depressing it can be to be reminded every second by your internal hour glass, of your coming death.
I find it hard to accept death.

Really, and I mean really, what would be the point to living for a short lifetime only to fade away forever? I'm not asking this question to any of you so don't feel like I'm asking you, I'm just trying to get you to think about it. I believe that we are all victims of chance. I'm not implying that we are victims of one another or carry a victim mentality, I am not a victim! But rather, a victim of birth,or chance in other words. Is it not by chance that we are here? I can't quite convey this to you in words that well. But I think that it is by chance that your individual consciousness came into being. Again I cannot convey this that well in my words. As long as people mate there will be offspring, I'm not calling that chance but rather your being alive and conscious.

I'm not sure if can understand what I'm trying to say in that last paragraph and sorry for the repetivity. I've been contemplating this for a while and thought I'd share. There was a lot more but we'd be here forever.

#40713 - 07/23/10 08:08 PM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Lamar]
Wake Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
Interesting topic for discussion if you ask me.
I doubt you'd be able you find a person who hasn't contemplated that at least once in his/her life.
It was that question that made me so enticed by the concept of reincarnation. To make it clear, for those of you who remember my first posts here, I stopped believing in reincarnation a long time ago, shortly after you all took me apart \:D

Although I don't support any particular belief in an after-life, I remain open to the idea. Not out of fear of death, but I guess it is beyond my imagining no longer being conscious or thinking.
I suppose I go to bed every night and lose consciousness, but even then my sub conscious still remains.

#40715 - 07/23/10 08:13 PM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Lamar]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
I find it hard to accept death.

That's okay, you don't have to accept death as it will eventually take regardless of whether or not you accept. Though I must say that life, for me at least, has become more enjoyable since I came to terms with my inevitable demise some 9 years ago.

The point to living? There is none. The only point or meaning to life is that which the individual bestows upon it. Me, I am here to make the most of my time while I still have it. My life revolves around the never ending pursuit of pleasure and personal happiness by whatever means I deem necessary.

And to be technical, we are not here by chance. I am pretty sure Scientists have concluded that, through evolution, or existence was not mere chance, it is the opposite of chance, sooner or later the human race had to exist. Not due to the will of any creator but due to the circumstances that led to our existence in the first place.

#40716 - 07/23/10 08:18 PM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Wake]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
It's like thinking about space. It boggles my mind. To think about not having any form of consciousness is unfathomable to me. It's just as thinking about yourself before you were born or existed. Reincarnation to me is another thing that ties into man's security when facing death. Something to believe in after death. Security is all it amounts to in my oppinion. No disrespect to any who believes in it.
#40717 - 07/23/10 08:30 PM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Lamar]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
The idea of death doesn't seem that hard to grasp for me. Consciousness is just one of many many autonomic brain functions. Consciousness isn't so much who we are but one of the many things our fleshy electrical neurocomputer is doing at any given time.

And not even all of the time. Where does your consciousness 'go' when you are asleep?

Are people in a coma or in a vegetative state truly 'alive'?

When you shut down your computer, where does the information in RAM 'go'? Where does the humming sound that it makes 'go'?

To imagine there is more to it than that involves evoking supernatural reasoning, which if history has taught us anything is nothing but mental masturbation.

#40720 - 07/23/10 08:57 PM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Lamar]
Happy Birthday Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Once you conquer your fear of the unknown, and that of ‘not being,’ death can be a fun and entertaining thing to think about.

I think that eternal unconsciousness is as similar to the brain, as the concept of infinity. We can talk, speculate and wonder about it, but I doubt that we can comprehend it. Our brains don’t have a reference point for either one.

Sometimes when my mind wanders, I think about what that moment when I die will be like. Will I know that it’s happening? Will it come at a time when I welcome the total relief of it, or will it come at one of those moments when I have something of great interest to look forward to, and will feel that I wish I had more time. Will it be sudden, like “OH SHIT!!,” and then nothing.

I also hope that it comes when there’s no one that I care about around to watch me go. I think that I would like to enjoy or at least experience the event without someone making it sad by their emotions.

Generally though, the way that I look at death, or non existence, is that it is the most natural state. Life is the totally weird and unnatural state. It’s not even equivalent to a flicker in time and space. Kind of like a tiny spark that interrupts non existence.

One of the best definitions of “life,” that I have ever heard was on one of those documentaries about the stars and planets. They were talking about how every part of us has come together from elements in space. The commentator said, “Life is the universe becoming conscious of its self.” I like that.

Who knows, once all of our physical elements have degenerated back into their basic parts, when the planet burns up and everything is blown out into space once more, at some eternal time in the future, perhaps a gazzillion years from now, after we journey through space as space dust and carbon, and become part of new stars and galaxies, and once they disintegrate and come together again, perhaps those elements will become conscious once more. That is the only way that I can relate to re-incarnation. But it’s not something that I am counting on. I came, I saw, I experienced, and then I’m done. Nothingness is fine, and when all is said and done, it is quite comforting too.

#40721 - 07/23/10 08:59 PM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Dan_Dread]
Miss May Offline
pledge

Loc: sebastopol, CA
In my life I have thought about death in a lot of different ways. I used to create fantasies of what death would be like in my own mind. Most of my creations were glorified images of a body loosing it's life force and reverting back to nature. It was a detached way of looking at it. It comforts me still to think of death as an controllable force of nature.
#40737 - 07/24/10 03:10 AM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Miss May]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
When I was younger, lying alone at night, I would periodically become seized by intense terror and doubtfulness-- what if there was no life after death? What if there was nothing, no God, no heaven... just an obliteration of consciousness? Such episodes happened throughout my life, beginning at a very young age.

Yet it is amusing that these thoughts only ceased once I had abandoned supernatural belief altogether (contrary to the common claims that such beliefs alleviate the fear of death). I just learned to accept Death for the beautiful oblivion it embodies.

I suppose I am an avid believer in reincarnation; that is, if one considers the carbon cycle to count as reincarnation.

Also, I cannot help but feel a slight, smug sense of moral self-righteousness, knowing that my anti-afterlife is more "virtuous" than the vain, wish-fulfilling fantasies perpetuated by "believers" who claim to sacrifice themselves for their Deity, but in reality will simply stoop to any level of subservience so long as their shallow egos live on forever.

Thanatos, I suppose, is the ultimate deity.

#40744 - 07/24/10 04:11 AM Re: Death Fetish [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Jake999 Offline

"Death is just another damned thing you gotta do." I've been around it all of my life. My father was a mortician and it lost all allure or mystery for me at a very young age. It's going to happen. You can not avoid it.

Every second you waste worrying about it is a moment out of the time you should be living instead for trying to peer into the windows of the house of death. The lights are off. There's no one home.

#40747 - 07/24/10 05:29 AM Re: Death Fetish [Re: Jake999]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I realized a long time ago we all will go the way of the dodo. That's why I'm in favor of incorporating some degree of fatalism into my life. You can't fully live your life if you don't allow a certain degree of risk into it. The meaning of life is in living it and often that which makes you feel most alive is at the very edge of death.

In the end, when we inevitable die, it would be a shame if we'd regret doing things to avoid the very thing we end up doing anyways.

D.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.