Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#40993 - 07/29/10 03:29 AM The Art of Cold Reading
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
"Cold reading refers to a set of techniques used by professional manipulators to get a subject to behave in a certain way or to think that the cold reader has some sort of special ability that allows him to "mysteriously" know things about the subject. Cold reading goes beyond the usual tools of manipulation: suggestion and flattery. In cold reading, salespersons, hypnotists, advertising pros, faith healers, con men, and some therapists bank on their subject's inclination to find more meaning in a situation than there actually is. The desire to make sense out of experience can lead us to many wonderful discoveries, but it can also lead us to many follies. The manipulator knows that his mark will be inclined to try to make sense out of whatever he is told, no matter how farfetched or improbable. He knows, too, that people are generally self-centered, that we tend to have unrealistic views of ourselves, and that we will generally accept claims about ourselves that reflect not how we are or even how we really think we are but how we wish we were or think we should be. He also knows that for every several claims he makes about you that you reject as being inaccurate, he will make one that meets with your approval; and he knows that you are likely to remember the hits he makes and forget the misses.

Thus, a good manipulator can provide a reading of a total stranger, which will make the stranger feel that the manipulator possesses some special power..."

From The Skeptic's Dictionary
http://www.skepdic.com/coldread.html

I've been studying it for a while now and am in the process of establishing my first cold read. Working at Walmart is a fertile environment for such things haha. My question to any cold readers here, if any that is, as a begginer: (and I know practice makes perfect) what are some good open liners and how can you pick up on those subtle ques to tell if your on the right path?

Also, I'm probably not going to use a "convincer" as stated by Anton in the Satanic Witch because I'll be at work. Or maybe I should start out with a "convincer" on close friends first?

#40996 - 07/29/10 05:00 AM Re: The Art of Cold Reading [Re: Lamar]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
My question to any cold readers here, if any that is, as a begginer: (and I know practice makes perfect) what are some good open liners and how can you pick up on those subtle ques to tell if your on the right path?

Talk fast when saying contradicting facts. People will tend to pick out the things with which they can relate to.
Learn to read body-language and small "ticks" to see if you are right or wrong. Also speak quite cryptically, almost anyone will interprete it in such a way that it makes sense to them.

Practice makes perfect..

#40998 - 07/29/10 05:46 AM Re: The Art of Cold Reading [Re: Dimitri]
Jake999 Offline

Go to the video store and rent a copy of NIGHTMARE ALLEY, starring Tyrone Power and Colleen Gray. The main character is a mentalist, and uses techniques for cold reading that have been used in the carnival Mitt Camps forever.

THEN to see the technologically advanced version, rent a copy of LEAP OF FAITH, starring Steve Martin and Debra Winger.

#40999 - 07/29/10 05:56 AM Re: The Art of Cold Reading [Re: Dimitri]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
One technique that can help you develop the same skills you will need for cold reading is playing the game "20 questions." In order to unearth information from a person quickly using cold reading, you need the ability to pick up on clues, follow positive leads, and hone in to an increasingly specific answer in a limited amount of time.

The key to cold reading is not just to guess well, but also to get the person to volunteer information, and to be able to plot your next step rapidly when you get a lead. Spend some time trying to guess what people are thinking about in a controlled setting; start vague, and narrow it down.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.