Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#41018 - 07/29/10 12:26 PM Musicians
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
Do we have any musicians amongst us? Music is my passion, it's been apart of me for my entire lifespan. I am a drummer playing currently for 18 years. Any fellow drummers with us?
#41038 - 07/29/10 03:36 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I've played drums in 3 separate bands so far. It's been about ten years since I have seriously practised, though. Turns out I wasn't fated to be a rock star \:\)

#41074 - 07/30/10 03:30 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
I'm not a drummer but if I could do it all over again I would be. I love drums. I've been a lead guitarist for the past 25 years and a bassist for the past 15 years.

And yeah, with all the good things my last band had going for it, it turns out I wasn't meant to be a rock star either.

#41080 - 07/30/10 05:04 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Have been a guitarist for a few years, started at the age of 9.
I have played in different bands and left some of them for various reasons (didn't like the genre they wanted to play, opposing personalities, split due to reasons of time,..).

I however have played and sometimes play solo on stage. I prefer to be a musician who plays for fun. Now only doing gigs only for friends, family and maybe if I'm a bit short on cash or when the given artists suck big time (happened a time or 2).
Most of the time also being asked as a stand-in and roadie if one of the guitarists is sick or doesn't know the song that well.

Drums would have been a second instrument I wanted to play (never got round owning one), yet have some skill due to a few drumming lessons from a friend and the fact from time to time doing easy songs behind the drums (example would be Seven nations army - the white stripes).

Having not much of a studio to record, yet a program on pc and a few cables to connect my gear towards the computer.
Instruments I own (and worked for)would be:
- Ibanez Gio
- Burswood guitar
- Line 6 spider III 75W amplifier

Not much in comparisation with others, yet skill is more important then the most expensive stuff you can have.

#41089 - 07/30/10 09:36 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Dimitri]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
As a little kid I always wanted drums but didn't get them for the same reasons as everybody else. They're big, expensive, and you can't turn them down.

Guitar for about eight years
Using computers to compose for six years
Mandolin for three but I unfortunately don't have one anymore
Doing sound experimentation seriously for about two years
Taking vocal noise/screaming/inhaling seriously two years
Owned a keyboard for about two years but have never really seriously learned it
Absolutely sucking at violin for about a week now

Two "one man band" projects. One of mostly electronic compositions but a few guitar based songs with one free release. One of sound experimentation/noise/avant-garde music with two free releases.

One avant-rock/bluesy-rock band I had to leave due to life issues but am going to rejoin in the future.

Occasional group noise jams, most often impromptu.

I'm most accomplished in my guitar technique even if it's my least used tool for any recorded material. Having learned myself taking only bits and pieces from instructional material I learned to play more by ear and feel but try to apply and learn technique when I can. Those I've played with tend to be impressed with my speed, and improv skills. I've developed a style that utilizes extreme effects most often a pitch pedal to bend down and sound like a distorted bass. I try to focus on guitar being as expressive and dynamic in timbre as it can be in notes without ditching one for the other.

I plan to buy and learn sitar and drums when I can afford them.

#41104 - 07/30/10 02:25 PM Re: Musicians [Re: TV is God]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
It may sound a bit odd, but I've been getting rather depressed (and pissed) latley due to lack of practice. Around October '09 I got kicked out of home. Long story short I am now living with grandparents and my drums are not in my possession. I haven't gotten a "decent" 1 to 2 hour practice since last October. I'm fighting to stay alive as a drummer. Drums have been apart of me since I was three. It sucks. You hear "never give up on your dreams." I will never give up on my drums.
#41116 - 07/30/10 09:47 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Morbid Rex Offline

For a while my passion was only listening to music, but recently I've aquired a Bass Guitar and Turntables so I've been trying my hand at making some.

It's a hard road of practice trial and tribulation, kinda makes me wish I started when I was younger, but I'm just 21 so hopefully I can still make something of a musician outta myself.

If not I guess I can always try my hand at some so bad its good Punk Rock, lol.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#41117 - 07/30/10 09:48 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
I'm not a drummer, but I would love to own a kit, and know my way around one a little bit, and I think I could be better if I owned one and could practice.

I'm a guitarist. I started playing electric when I was 14. I got to college and the second semester of my freshman year I took a class on Guitar Literature (the history of the guitar, including precursory instruments, the music written {i.e. "literature"}, and the composers who wrote it). I began to take classical lessons with the grad assistant, and auditioned at the end of the semester after which I was accepted on a probational status into the music degree. Suffice to say, I have been playing classical for about ten years now, and have completed both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in classical guitar performance. I have never looked back.

I can also play keyboard, but as I don't own one, I couldn't really do much with one currently. Again, the practice is a factor.

Personally, however, I would rather be great at one instrument than be pretty good/okay at a bunch of them.

For me, music is life. I know some people only do it for fun, and so do I. However, I expect to make a living at doing it and having fun as well. Does that mean my integrity as a musician is in question? I think not. Does that mean that it does not take work? Absolutely not.

To make a living doing what one loves? Everyone should be so lucky ;\)

Homo Homini Lupus

#41118 - 07/30/10 10:28 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Draculesti]
Oxus Offline

30 years or so of professionally playing, lot's of road stories! LOL

Making my favorite musick now that I am home with my family, semi retired.
Check it out if you wish . . . Here

#41121 - 07/30/10 10:57 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Oxus]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I played bagpipes for a few years but then fell out due to school busy-ness. Tried drums; failed miserably. My GF plays, however.

Currently I make electronic music and do vocals for my own project at http://www.myspace.com/ferrumdei , which is more of a solo thing, though I do play some live shows with others accompanying instrumentals. It's sort of an EBM/black metal/atmospheric hybrid, if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by The Zebu (07/30/10 10:58 PM)

#41163 - 07/31/10 02:49 PM Re: Musicians [Re: The Zebu]
TheInsane Offline

I play the bass guitar and I do play in a band. We have a record deal and do gigs here and there. Its on quite a low level carreer wise so we do not actually earn any money doing it. Most of the time we just try to make sure to break even. But we do it for fun and thats all that matters.

Neither of us really have that big drive to dedicate loads of time to promotion and touring. But who knows, if we manage to land another record company with bigger assets for the next album maybe things will start happening. As for now we just love playing and recording music.

#42195 - 08/21/10 05:23 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Dedalus Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Late to the thread, decided to chime in anyway. I've been drumming for years, played in two bands (one flopped, I got kicked out of the second after a falling out, but heard they broke up too). Drumming is an amazing feeling, I'd suggest to anyone strapped for the cash to see if they can afford a bass drum and a snare, themsthe basics, get the rest as time/money permits. I play guitar and bass (back when all I spent my college grants on were random instruments), not great at either, and I'm also quite shamefully struggling with ableton live 8 to produce some industrial sounds, havent even worked out the drumbeat section..
Curse my computer illiteracy. At least I can drum ok.

#42213 - 08/22/10 07:33 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Dedalus]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
You're so right about drumming, Dedalus. ;\)
I played Latin percussion semi-professionally for around three years and did a little African drumming, too. The rhythms catch you right in the heart and it's a wonderful feeling when a group of you playing together can charge the atmosphere of a whole room or concert hall. Sometimes you can hear "voices" among the instruments, singing away when there are no earthly vocalists there. \:\)

#42216 - 08/22/10 08:28 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
Dedalus Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Ah, i forgot about african drumming! Latin percussion is fantastic, though I prefer the djembe's, etc. There's a skate park in the city where drum gatherings take place, unplanned. The few I've been to were amazing, and when theres a couple of people playing variations on the same rhythym you really can hear that whispering/suggestion of words. Some people apparently like to chant over it...I like to leave it as it is.

#42225 - 08/22/10 01:01 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Dedalus]
Oxus Offline

Dedalus,
Just a quick note pertaining to your avatar! Love KC, lived and studied with Robert back in 1985 as part of the very first Guitar Craft. Long live the KING!
 Originally Posted By: Dedalus
Ah, i forgot about african drumming! Latin percussion is fantastic, though I prefer the djembe's, etc. There's a skate park in the city where drum gatherings take place, unplanned. The few I've been to were amazing, and when theres a couple of people playing variations on the same rhythym you really can hear that whispering/suggestion of words. Some people apparently like to chant over it...I like to leave it as it is.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.036 seconds of which 0.016 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.