Page 2 of 11 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#41401 - 08/03/10 11:36 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: XiaoGui17]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
What are they trying to Americanize the builders now? The guy who used to be in charge of the project had a very Arabic name, now Daisy is doing it. lol

It has nothing to do with healing. It's about shoving a mosque right next to the place they blew up because it represented America. It's a slap in the face, and a kiss my ass gesture.

The idea to landmark it was done/pushed after the community board passed the measure that would allow it to be built. People objected at that meeting, but money talks. The building is about 154 years old, they tried it as a way to block the mosque but they failed.

If they would try the "vindictive" landmark act as you say, they would fail. Getting anything landmarked in New York is almost impossible. The landmark/preservation committee can't even agree on what toilet paper to buy. I don't know of any building they have landmarked in a long ass time.

I like Fist's idea of tossing bacon.
MMMMMmmmmmm, bacon.
Might even end up being a tourist destination/rite of passage.
Bacon a mosque and get a souvenir ticket for littering.
\:\)

Morgan

#41439 - 08/04/10 02:24 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Morgan]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Legal considerations aside, I agree that the move to build a mosque near Ground Zero is incredibly tacky. I mean, of all the places in New York to build, why there? A group truly committed to reconciliation would take the hint and build somewhere else. If the group made a public statement that they were voluntarily moving the location out of respect for those killed on 9/11, it would cast American Muslims in a more positive light in NY and around the country. As it is, they’re creating a PR disaster.

One might wonder if there’s something more dastardly here than a simple “it’s private property, we can build here if we want." Perhaps the group wants retaliation, be it in the form of bacon or planes or whatever, because it perpetuates the idea of jihad. If so, then they may just get their wish.

#41447 - 08/04/10 06:17 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: William Wright]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
I worked as a foot messenger years ago and used to deliver letters and packages to the WTC several times a day. When it finally sank in regarding what happened that day my thoughts not only went to the office workers and the FDNY and NYPD but also to the kid from the local deli who was delivering breakfast to someone in one of the buildings. Or the bike or foot messenger who had to go into the buildings to deliver a letter to one of the offices. They were mudered too.

If anyone wants to have a pig roast in front of the mosque, I'm there.

#41457 - 08/05/10 05:52 AM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: William Wright]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: William Wright
Legal considerations aside, I agree that the move to build a mosque near Ground Zero is incredibly tacky. I mean, of all the places in New York to build, why there? A group truly committed to reconciliation would take the hint and build somewhere else. If the group made a public statement that they were voluntarily moving the location out of respect for those killed on 9/11, it would cast American Muslims in a more positive light in NY and around the country. As it is, they’re creating a PR disaster.

Exactly. Daisy is either being insincere about her desire for reconciliation or she's thicker than a brick.

Originally Posted By: William Wright
One might wonder if there’s something more dastardly here than a simple “it’s private property, we can build here if we want." Perhaps the group wants retaliation, be it in the form of bacon or planes or whatever, because it perpetuates the idea of jihad. If so, then they may just get their wish.

I can definitely see that being the case. A lot of groups with victim mentalities seem to go out trying to provoke people so they can whine about how everybody's out to get them. You may be on to something here. I can totally see Daisy working up some crocodile tears with a liberal news org after someone throws a rack of pork ribs at them.

...OK the image of a rack of pork ribs sailing through the air just made me chuckle.

On that note, I think the Jack in the Box supreme croissant has both ham and bacon on it, right?

#41459 - 08/05/10 07:55 AM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: XiaoGui17]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

A similar idea is currently used and triggers some controversy in France.
A local politician in France wants to organize an anti-Islamic "Pork-meat Party" in Orléans. On the invitation it says there will be lots of pork meat and alcohol to make sure there will only be friends at the party.

I assume this "controversial" party or the intent of organizing such a thing will hit the other news channels shortly.

D.

#41460 - 08/05/10 08:05 AM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: XiaoGui17]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38565270

"The leader of the Cordoba Initiative, one of the groups planning to build the mosque, is Imam Fiesal Abdul Rauf. " Daisy is his wife. I think that summs up anything she has to say. It all comes from her husband, with her husbands permission.

"There is a tradition in Muslim history to build mosques near the site of great victories."

Pig roasts, bacon tossing, and a bar-be-que joint next door.

In a way its really fucked up. New York is kinda broke and needs jobs, but how the fuck do you ask American's to build a mosque near the trade centers and not think its a victory for the other side? Money/food on the table verses the right thing to do by turning down that job.

We are so screwed....

M

#41463 - 08/05/10 10:08 AM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Morgan]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Laura Ingraham & Daisy Khan at first discussing the ignorant people who are non-believers, and then the motivations for building a mosque close to the ground zero site.

Daisy spins it as a thumbing of the nose, of sorts, at the extremists who she says are being allowed to define muslims as a whole.

Her husband is one of the main proponents for bringing sharia law into America, though. She can try to be the face of peace all she wants, but as soon as they try to subjugate the law of the land with their antiquated bullshit it's time to stop pretending. We only need to look to some European countries as an example of how this all plays out.

Edit:
Dennis Miller's pretty damn funny take on the whole situation.

Edited by Fnord (08/05/10 10:48 AM)

#41464 - 08/05/10 10:44 AM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Sharia Law in the US is sure to piss off a lot of people, myself included. If Muslims want to live somewhere under Sharia Law they can go to their piece of shit desert. That shit has no business over here in the "civilized" world.

#41468 - 08/05/10 12:06 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Sharia Law in the US is sure to piss off a lot of people, myself included. If Muslims want to live somewhere under Sharia Law they can go to their piece of shit desert. That shit has no business over here in the "civilized" world.

Well if I was one of the construction workers working on that thing, and since I just love pork, I'd make sure that I accidently dropped a few pounds of bacon or ham in the cement mix everyday. I'm just clumsy like that.

On a side note, this thread is really pissing me off.
<----Oh hey look, it's Mohamed choking on a piece of bacon!!

Edited by Asmedious (08/05/10 12:24 PM)

#41480 - 08/05/10 03:28 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Asmedious]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

If you wanted to REALLY go the extra mile you could fuck a pig inside the mosque while they are all praying. To add to it I suggest using bacon grease a lube.

Yes, that's right; this thread is now about bestiality.

#41486 - 08/05/10 05:07 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Jake999 Offline

Seems to me that if the 1st Amendment doesn't work for one, it doesn't work for all. And Freedom of Speech was championed precisely for incidents like this.

It wasn't for all people's benefit all of the time... although it IS applicable to all of the people all of the time... but for those instances where those in the minority, no matter how onerous that minority might be, might be silenced or sanctioned because of government disfavor or because they don't represent what the "core beliefs" of the society might be.

We endure hate speech and inappropriate presence daily and at times there have been years of litigations and in some cases eruptions of violence. We tolerate the KKK and Neo Nazi groups hate speech... and protest loudly against it... because they have a right to their opinions, just as we have a right to ours. We tolerate the asinine and highly inappropriate insertions of people like the Reverend Fred Phelps and his obnoxious behavior at the funeral services of US soldiers, claiming that their deaths are somehow related to tolerance of homosexuality. Street corner nut-job preachers, televangelists on cable where presumable we pay to allow things we want to watch into our homes... the list could go on and on.

Now granted, the idea of a mosque this close to a place that has become almost sanctified in its historical importance to the cultural psyche of the nation is a BAD idea. But it's private property and it's a religious organization that has all of the same rights and privileges as any other within the United States. And yes, I know that it's a slap in the face to 3,000 people killed at the hands of suicide bombers. I'll grant you that. And I'll say that I'm dead against it on a personal level.

But if the United States is going to be what it purports itself to be and not just some hollow words on a document from 234 years ago, we have to put our money where our mouth is, even if it leaves a bad taste in our mouth. We don't HAVE to like it. We don't HAVE to support it, but if we ARE "the home of the brave and the land of the free," we'll have to tolerate it.

That's not to say that every man, woman and child in America doesn't have the right to protest in front of the mosque 24 hours a day, so long as they stay within the letter of the law. That's not to say that every building and city code should not be checked, and that each "i" must be dotted and "t" crossed. That's not to say that noise abatements cannot and should not be enforced when the calls to prayer are blasted from loudspeakers, or that parking shouldn't be strictly enforced, or that any number of city ordinances be applied, just as they would be for anyone else.

And that's not to say that we shouldn't commandeer and establish the building next door for an FBI field office, brightly lit... with security cameras that catch the image of people coming and going. There are sensors these days that can detect nitrates and other bomb equipment from outside of buildings...

But we ARE a nation that champions freedom of religion and freedom of speech. We can't allow ourselves to deny it to others without denying it to ourselves.

#41487 - 08/05/10 08:15 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Jake999]
Oxus Offline

Lawsuit challenges Ground Zero mosque Article

Quote:
A quote from the article: "The existing building is owned by the Cordoba Initiative, a Muslim outreach group, and already serves as a site where prayer services are held. The group wants to demolish the existing structure and build a "$100 million, 13-story community center with Islamic, interfaith and secular programming," the Cordoba Initiative website says."
Hmmm, maybe some other extremist group could take out that building one day? . . . I'm just saying!

Ir Shti Shta-tu
Oxus

#41488 - 08/05/10 08:29 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Oxus]
Jake999 Offline

An extremist group could take any building any day. You can't live your life on what ifs. What if Al Queda moves into the building? Or one 20 miles away as the Islamic American Society? Or as something else totally innocuous?

If you cross the street and a Mack Truck might run you down? The answer isn't to ban Mack Trucks. The answer is look both ways, be prepared and act to protect yourself if something goes wrong.

#41491 - 08/05/10 10:30 PM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: Jake999]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Thank you Jake. Voice of reason you are.

I am always surprised by how quickly many US citizens are reaching for the constitution, when they lack toilet paper.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#41504 - 08/06/10 05:07 AM Re: Gut Check: Mosque at Ground Zero? [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Jake999 Offline

Don't get me wrong, Maw. If it turns out that that presumably innocent mosque turns out to be a den of vipers, and an assault on American citizens or institutions are launched or initiated from there, I will be the first to demand that any sanctuary status that might be conferred will be stripped and the place be razed to the ground in an operation that would make Waco look like a school picnic.

The Constitution gives them the right to worship and to peacefully engage in their religious practices. But nowhere in the Constitution does it give any religious entity the right to wage war against the citizens or the nation.

When we take our military oath, we swear to defend against all enemies, foreign or domestic. Domestic enemies give up their right to protection once they bite the hand that feeds them.

Page 2 of 11 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.