Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#41520 - 08/06/10 01:36 PM So, Anne Rice quit the church again...
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Rice was raised a catholic, turned to Atheism, returned to catholicism and is now still a believer but dislikes the church.

I hope she gets over it all soon and writes some more books. There was a time when she could spin a truly badass yarn.

Source

#41532 - 08/06/10 07:56 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Fnord]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Yeeeeah. She's got a book about angels due to come out this month. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.

If you're looking for vampire material, Christine Feehan and Laurell K. Hamilton are both decent. They both have Christian themes and don't try to hide them at all, but they write decently. Hamilton's Anita Blake series are set in modern times, whereas Feehan's Dark Series is a bit more archaic.

I never understood the Christian fascination with vampires. I guess it's like Christian Domestic Discipline: a "respectable" rationalization of a sinful obsession.

#41544 - 08/06/10 11:23 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: XiaoGui17]
Fnord Offline

I actually liked Rice's Mayfair Witch series better than the vampire books. I think Interview with a Vampire is a work of art, but it got stale for me after that one and I didn't finish the series.

Thanks for the other recommendations, both are available on Kindle so I'll DL some freebie chapters and check them out.

#41550 - 08/07/10 01:39 AM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Fnord]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Thanks for the other recommendations, both are available on Kindle so I'll DL some freebie chapters and check them out.

Which Kindle do you have? I've seen pictures and reviews for the original one, and a knock off of it at Walmart, but the thing just looks too small from what I can tell.
I know they have a bigger version out now which looks decent.

As for Anne Rice, I think she used to write some great books as did Stephen King, but they both seem to be riding on their past success now, and I don't find their recent efforts nearly as impressive as their past ones.

#41559 - 08/07/10 11:51 AM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: XiaoGui17]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
I never understood the Christian fascination with vampires. I guess it's like Christian Domestic Discipline: a "respectable" rationalization of a sinful obsession.

Well, yes. Especially the Catholics. They have the whole 'sin on Friday and be forgiven on Sunday' thing going. Lot's of Masters&Servants action going on in the Church. And, as you may know:

Catholic School Girls Rule

And of course, the Church is obsessed with things rising from the dead:

Zombie Jesus

#76571 - 05/22/13 12:45 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Fist]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
I've been a fan of Anne Rice since my youth. In all her attempts to assert her disbelief I never once believed she was an Atheist, just merely having a crisis of Faith.

It came through in all her writing, especially the Vampire Chronicles.

I wasn't shocked to learn that she had rekindled her faith. I did pick up "Called Out of Darkness", and "Christ: The Lord Out of Egypt". Not her best work, I suppose she felt a personal responsibility to her readers to elaborate on her wish-washy Religious Beliefs. COD was pretty dry, and I swear she spent an entire chapter describing the Cobble-stones on the street where she grew up *face palm*.

#76572 - 05/22/13 01:07 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Fnord]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
 Quote:
XG Yeeeeah. She's got a book about angels due to come out this month. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.

I've read the Angel Time series. I really enjoyed the first one, the protagonist being an assassin added an element that was really interesting.

Quote:
XG If you're looking for vampire material, Christine Feehan and Laurell K. Hamilton are both decent. They both have Christian themes and don't try to hide them at all, but they write decently. Hamilton's Anita Blake series are set in modern times, whereas Feehan's Dark Series is a bit more archaic.

I liked the Anita Blake series until about book nine. She turned it into an erotica series which I found disappointing. I want Anita Blake to slay vampires and raise the dead like she did from the beginning.

Quote:
Fnord I actually liked Rice's Mayfair Witch series better than the vampire books. I think Interview with a Vampire is a work of art, but it got stale for me after that one and I didn't finish the series.

I read The Vampire Chronicles when the movie with Tom Cruise came out and my dad bought me the first five (it was a box set) so I could read them before I saw the movie Interview With The Vampire. This killed the movie for me due to content the left out, the casting choices, the dialogue, well all of it.

I fell madly in love with Lestat after reading those books. I personally think Blood and Gold (Marius' story) was the best of her vampire books.

I loved The Mayfair Witches series as well and do think that it was better written. It had a much better story arch and better characters in my opinion.

I enjoyed The Mummy as well.

When it comes to Anne Rice's religious beliefs, I always thought she was Catholic. Even when I was a teenager and she was supposedly an Atheist. The focus of so much of The Vampire Chronicles was on Catholicism I just assumed she was exploring some of the unanswered questions she had religiously in her books.

#76615 - 05/23/13 08:39 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: FemaleSatan]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: FemaleSatan
I liked the Anita Blake series until about book nine. She turned it into an erotica series which I found disappointing. I want Anita Blake to slay vampires and raise the dead like she did from the beginning.

Yeah, the Anita Blake series veered off in a very different direction at a certain point.

I liked the older books because the undead were a normalized part of modern society. That raised interesting issues. What, if any, rights do they have? Is their testimony admissible? Can the creation of new ones be regulated? Then there were religious reactions, fads, political movements, and businesses that sprung up surrounding those concepts. That made it fresh and interesting.

The series not only changed tone from vampire-hunter to vampire-fucker, it changed focus from human society coping with the undead to undead society. That was a pity, because the notion of ancient vampire hierarchies and lycanthrope clans has been done to (un?)death. I was more interested in the legitimacy of zombie clarification of wills than who's got the biggest fangs in the OG vampire clique.

#76634 - 05/24/13 11:24 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Fnord]
Carcosa Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
Rice was raised a catholic, turned to atheism, returned to catholicism and is now still a believer but dislikes the church...

Interesting. I didn't realize she flip-flopped that many times. I wonder what she was working through when she penned the Sleeping Beauty trilogy.

#78517 - 07/24/13 07:24 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: SIN3]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Loc: Georgia
I'm not really a fan of Anne, although I do think she's a good writer.I haven't kept up with her Atheism/theism flip flops but She wrote Interview with the Vampire after the death her daughter and understandably had a crisis of faith.People write for all manner of reasons and their belief systems certainly influence their work but so do their life circumstances.Someone writing a book after the death of their child is probably going to question a lot of things about life but ultimately after the grief subsides they probably will return to their original beliefs.I've never been of the mind that if someone writes about vampires,they're a closet satanist anyway.
Haha,Anne is also OCD so the stuff about the cobble-stones were probably written during a "manic episode".Anne is and always has been a catholic,southern woman that happens to write about Vampires.Bram Stoker wrote about vampires as a way of describing his "vampiric" relationship with his boss I believe.

#78519 - 07/24/13 07:30 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Lucius3O9]
Fnord Offline

Whatever her beliefs, I had an opportunity to meet her in person a few years back. She is eloquent, elegant and a hell of a nice lady.

Having a gay son, I think, has helped her to understand just exactly where the hearts of most religious folk are. Having kept in touch with her, I doubt that she will flip-flop again.

#78557 - 07/24/13 11:58 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Lucius3O9]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Haha,Anne is also OCD so the stuff about the cobble-stones were probably written during a "manic episode"

I tend to agree. Isn't it fascinating how the content of Novels ends up being an intrusion into the Author's life (facts), when most people read fiction to entertain a fantasy.

#78565 - 07/25/13 12:40 AM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: SIN3]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Loc: Georgia
Haha,very true.People still want to believe in something real even though what they're reading is a fantasy.So they rummage through the author's personal life looking for truth.

#81093 - 10/11/13 08:27 PM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: Lucius3O9]
brunhilda Offline
lurker

Loc: baltimore
I tried reading her newest book The Wolf Gift and quite frankly, it didn't spark anything inside me after giving it 50 pages. Maybe i will pick it up again in the future, but I'm honestly thrown off by her conversion issues. I just don't understand how someone could go from self confessed Atheism back to christianity. It's like re-burying your head in the sand, and I think her recent books have suffered because of it.
I enjoyed the Mayfair Witches series best, it was so perfect in that creepy New Orleans ghost story tradition. I also loved many of the early ones in the Vampire series. Memnoch the devil is a very interesting read.

#81099 - 10/12/13 12:45 AM Re: So, Anne Rice quit the church again... [Re: brunhilda]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I used to enjoy her books a lot, from the Lestat to the Mummy. But something happened to her writing. It became more artsy fartsy then interesting starting with the Violin, which I couldn't finish. Since I didn't follow her personal life I wasn't aware of her Atheism and Christianity issues. Seems to explain things though.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.