Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#4219 - 02/13/08 11:50 PM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Heres the actual Apology. I copied this from The Advertiser website.

TODAY we honour the indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were Stolen Generations – this blemished chapter in our nation's history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

For the pain, suffering and hurt of these Stolen Generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry. We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again. A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, indigenous and non-indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.

A future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility. A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia.

Now I realise that it has little impact on the thread, however, I thought that it should probably be posted.

The way I read it (and I'm sure there will be many that disagree), the government is acknowledging that throwing a heap of money and housing isn't actually working and that they are willing to look at differant and new ways of dealing with the situation. I believe quite whole heartedly that by being brave enough to take the first step towards healing by apologizing for mistakes of the past is really very forward thinking and should actually be respected. However this is all only MNSHO.

Edited by ZephyrGirl (02/13/08 11:56 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#4220 - 02/13/08 11:55 PM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks for posting it.

Look, in all honesty, this apology isn't going to accomplish anything. Perhaps the elders will reflect on it and graciously move forward with their lives - but it isn't going to bring back the dead, nor is it ever going to relieve the pain and suffering to those who endured it. Even on the news they're saying that an apology just isn't good enough, they want more & more.

They're using this as an excuse (because the Government is vulnerable) to get many of the things not provided to them for reasons which are basic common sense.

#4221 - 02/14/08 12:02 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Apologies never bring back the dead, but that doesn't mean they don't accomplish anything or that they are worthless.

Don't tell me you have never wanted to receive an apology from someone, for something done, even if the apology doesn't fix the transgretion.

I would find that very hard to believe.

#4222 - 02/14/08 12:30 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DaVinci Offline

Shockingly, no.

I've never needed/wanted an apology from someone. Not even at work. There have been things happen in the past, but simple accidents that didn't require an apology.

I can understand where you're coming from, and I think we kinda took off on the wrong foot, but again I just don't see any point to apologising to them. Don't you think they're being a little bit selfish in the fact they think an apology just isn't good enough? No, this isn't a 'Satanic Position' or anything, but they are being selfish after what the Government has both offered and done - and here they sit telling us that it just isn't good enough.

Nothing we can do or say will ever change the past - why demand things off of those that had nothing to do with it?

#4223 - 02/14/08 02:16 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Quote:
Don't you think they're being a little bit selfish in the fact they think an apology just isn't good enough?

Who exactly is they? The people that turned their backs on the Nelson when he started on about child abuse and alcoholism after the apology.

Most of what I have read/seen in the news has actually been very positive, with many feeling that the apology will if nothing more, enable the children and grand children of the stolen generation to move on.

I agree that there is a percentage for which it will never be enough, but I said that in one of my first posts. Just maybe not in so many words.

Zeph

#4240 - 02/14/08 07:42 PM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
I happen to live in the desert, surrounded by supposedly indigenous people, and I fully agree with the initial post, as do my Koori friends. The whole sorry process (pardon the pun) reeks of racism.

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#4246 - 02/14/08 11:26 PM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
MY GOD!

Will you girls stop with the bitch fight, seriously, it's like watching two girls in a Manchester drinking pit having a cat fight over who gets to fuck the chav of the week.

First Point. Siteing sources is weak. People who site sources all the time simply have no ideas of there own and becides people don't want 14 links in your damn post they want to hear your opinion not the opinion of 14 other people, especially as people who use forums rarely have time to read through a shit load of articles.

Second Point. This signeture.
"In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." - José Narosky
THAT IS CREDITING! DaVinci credited who said it originally what more do you fucking want. A website that also says that he said it to back up the fact that he said it. No. You're just being a pain in the fucking ass and you're looking for a string to pull to carry on your pitiful argument.

Third Point. I mention plenty of things without siteing them. I have quoted many people and debated many subjects without siteing anything. Why? Because people don't need to know where I get my information. Unless I have some research of my own or it's something relatively new anyone debating anything with me should already know the sources or they are not worth debating with.

Forth Point. IT'S FUCKING SATIRE PEOPLE! Grow the hell up.

#4250 - 02/15/08 12:53 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: TornadoCreator]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

The ways of the old forum always seemed to be if you did not write something then please do not quote it verbatim… Unless in the least you tell us why you think something is funny, why it is worth reposting… Add your own ideas to what you are reprinting from others thoughts… To do otherwise is not contributing to this forum… Also it is usually frowned on, as it seems you are simply plagiarizing others work

Simply put be more than a cut and paste job or parrot…

On topic…

When I doubt the authorship of any post I find a simple Google search usually tells all… Variations of this bit are all over the internet…

We Americans have had similar issues with our Native American and African/black population… My bloodline can be traced back to having never fought the Native Americans, quite the opposite actually… My bloodline has also never owned an African slave…

We all suffer and pay in the present for things done in the past… No matter which side you are on… Once we can learn to drop the past then we can start to move forward…

~T~

#4263 - 02/16/08 07:43 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: TornadoCreator]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Hey TopCat,

Quote:
Will you girls stop with the bitch fight, seriously, it's like watching two girls in a Manchester drinking pit having a cat fight over who gets to fuck the chav of the week.

Hmmmmn, then why don't you just fuck off and not watch then? No offense TC, but if DaWenchy and I are enjoying our conversation, or even still, pushing each others buttons, what the hell business is it of yours?

Just because they've given you a blue nametag, doesn't mean your boss of the playground.

Love Zeph

MMMMMMMMMwah

#4268 - 02/16/08 08:29 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DaVinci Offline

I have to agree.

If Zebragirl and myself are enjoyng our slightly unorthodox debate/argument in regards to the Stolen Generation - then you don't exactly have to pay attention. However, I think Zebra and myself can rationalise for the time being and come to an understanding rather then belting it out in the 'forum playground' like a bunch of pseudo-intellectual debutauntes.

#4273 - 02/16/08 01:08 PM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
letusprey Offline
stranger

Loc: sailing vessel
 Originally Posted By: DaVinci
As I'm not a Satanist, and don't rely on the thoughts of others to justify my own opinions

I don't guess, by virtue of the quote above, that you know anything about modern Satanism. If you don't understand, how do you know you aren't one?
Organized religion, at its core, relies upon the thoughts and approval of others. The fundamental tenet if Satanism is Individualism.

#4291 - 02/17/08 08:57 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: letusprey]
DaVinci Offline

Quote:
I don't guess, by virtue of the quote above, that you know anything about modern Satanism. If you don't understand, how do you know you aren't one?
Organized religion, at its core, relies upon the thoughts and approval of others. The fundamental tenet if Satanism is Individualism.

I know more about Modern Satanism than most people. I've studied most religions and found it all to be religious practices that just don't suit me. Infact, I'm not religious at all - I'm not Atheist, Satanist, Christian, etc - I have no religious label. So thereofre, Satanic philosophy means nothing to me in a religious sense.

Don't assume, because if you do, I will rip your argument apart.

#4294 - 02/17/08 01:24 PM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: DaVinci]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

I have noticed that you seem to believe you can rip apart arguments easily… I know it feels like I have read it enough already…

I present a few of my observations so far…

In your introduction and other posts after it I have watched you deny any religious title… So much so that I feel this is your weakness… You seem to fear religious titles or think yourself above them… Yet right in your introduction you state that you are a Freemason and you believe in a supreme being…

You babble about how your not Atheist, Satanist, etc. yet you fail to see that your belief in a supreme being labels you as a Theist… This is a religious title that covers your beliefs, whatever little nuisances you have worked into them…

In your introduction as in other posts you state that you are well versed in Satanic belief yet you feel no need to associate yourself with this title… You seem to be in denial that you are writing this on a Satanic forum… That act alone associates you with Satanism… Look at the banner above “Community of Satanism and the Occult”…

You go on in your introduction about not using your real name due to previous experiences with spammers, etc… You go on to state that this has made you more mindful (fearful) about PERSEC when using such forums… I seriously doubt that you are a threat to homeland security, you are probably not as important as you think…

I can assure you that any such organization can acquire your location and your name on the internet… To think different would only serve to prove ignorance…

The next move is yours…

~T~

B.T.W. As one who quotes, I ask… Is quoting a two or three sentence post directly above your reply doing anything other than wasting bandwidth and/or hard drive space?*

*not to be confused with proper comment useage

#4308 - 02/18/08 03:17 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: ta2zz]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
If you two want to insult eachother for shits and giggles, fine, go ahead. I really don't give a shit. I'll make sure to keep my nose out of.... oh right, this is a public forum isn't it, keep you damn slanging matches to PM's if you don't want people nosing in on them then you pair of complete fruitcakes.

Clearly I was mistaken in thinking that by being a member here I could discourage people from flaming eachother in the only forum I go on that isn't endless flaming, join in with a conversation and have my say on something that's in the General Conversations section of the forum. My mistake, I'll take my blue nametag and... beat you round your voluptuous naked skull shall I... bloody pain in the arse the both of you. Grow up.

PS: I'm going to rephrase something ta2zz said because it's quite important. Stop quoting the post directly above you, it's the most inane and irritating thing you can do on a forum other than flame. Do you enjoy wasting space or are you trying to insult the attention span of the other members? Stop doing it.

#4310 - 02/18/08 05:40 AM Re: Stolen Generation [Re: TornadoCreator]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Hey TC,

Take a chill pill dude. You are only relatively new to the forum don't forget. If there is any problems that needs telling off, or being told to stop, I'll wait for the moderators to do it. In the meantime, how about you Stop doing it, thinking that your opinion on what I should and shouldn't do would mean anything to me.

Are you actively trying to start a flame war? Really!

Zeph

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.