Page 3 of 13 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#10942 - 08/23/08 02:00 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
Seti 352 Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
 Originally Posted By: Fist
One of the purposes of this this thread is to give the traveller of the LHP some references.

A lot of the 'magical' text listed by some of you really don't serve the purpose.

Before one looks to explore various types of magic, one needs to steep himself in his own identity and beliefs. Most, supposed magical texts are little more than cheesy 'how to' manuals that sell the snake oil of giving power to the powerless. Even Micheal Ford's work falls into this category. While Ford himself, as a person, knows how to wield his own personal power, I really doubt you are going to learn much from his books. Of course, Ford does get paid for it!

Crowley goes into some detail of what the Black Brother needs to do before trying to develop his own power. LaVey, in several essays, points out that most 'magicians' are little more than your typical boardwalk carny in better clothes.

Before bothering with these sorts of manuals, the true traveller needs to explore the more generalized philosophy of the path he is on and should comport himself accordingly. Chanting to yourself with candles in the dark is little more than just that.

To each their own, I suppose. However, it was my understanding that this thread was designed to give people a list of recommended books from a variety of sources that are pertinent to the Left Hand Path. I recognize that you chose to not include occult books in your list. I was unaware that this was mandatory, but rather it reflected your personal choice in your post.

My own purpose was to suggest a wide variety of different interpretations of the Left Hand Path. Obviously, this included Satanic, Luciferian, Setian and Thelemic sources. My own belief is that by exposure to a wide assortment of texts, a person will come to their own conclusions.

As for Michael Ford's works, personally I enjoy & have benefited from them a great deal. I see no purpose in denigrating his books simply because you don't agree with him. If you don't agree with him, don't read him anymore. \:D

That said, heres a few more books from the purely philosophical arena. All are philosophical classics.

Kant, Immanuel. Groundwork of Metaphysic of Morals
Kant, Immanuel. Critique of Pure Reason
Mill, John Stuart. On Liberty
Aristotle Nicomachean Ethics
Schopenhauer, Arthur. The World as Will and Idea.
Hume, David. Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion
Descartes, Rene. Meditations Towards First Philosophy
Hobbes, Thomas. Leviathan
Aurelius, Marcus. Meditations

-Seti

#10944 - 08/23/08 02:54 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Seti 352]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
My only point is that you are not setting the new traveller for success if you send him straight to occult aspect first.

As Crowley points out, the new practitioner needs to come to the occult with his feet firmly planted in his own identity before staring out into the Abyss.

#10945 - 08/23/08 02:55 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Seti 352]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

i appoligize for spendig all that space arguing with someone fresh out of high school.if i would have read his profile and knew his age i wouldnt have responded.Id erase them but its a good example of what not to do.New ideas is what the occults all about.if you dont believe in somethin.cool quit.I just got a little heated about the arguments.This isnt necessarily a good thing but,Hell and Cutha are more tangible than people would think.I know my destination and its not because im trying to be trendy.

Edited by napalm (08/23/08 03:02 PM)

#10947 - 08/23/08 03:07 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

I know thats why i put all those warnings but im not high enough in status yet to send this to the privately.the first time looking into the eyes of Eternal hatred is not going to get better no matter how skilled you get though.Even if you don't see something it doesn't mean it doesn't see you.I intended it to be a warning.They don't always put those ya know warning labels on it to get more sales.

Edited by napalm (08/23/08 03:17 PM)

#10949 - 08/23/08 03:25 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: napalm]
Seti 352 Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
Fist,

You have a very valid point. Before any occult explorations are done, one should have a firm grasp of reality & be fairly well read in a variety of areas.(Especially science.) Sorry I misunderstood where you were coming from. The joys of internet communication, eh? lol

-Seti

#10957 - 08/23/08 08:41 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Seti 352]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

if you liked my writing thank you you might not recognize it but im the ona that wrote under dead scientists names.I almost dont remember them,,try spending a day or two on studying the dictionary and tell a story.I wish I had a name like Lasander Spooner.
#

#10966 - 08/24/08 12:51 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: napalm]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
i didnt mean to sound antagonistic its just ive been studying this for like 8 years and see results eventualle im going to publish my ownn book.but i dont want to publish it for the general public.studying the occultphilosophy and the occult is all I do .id like to be in europe you have a greater access to these booksespecially in germany.im not blogging anymore i was making a sugestion that isnt written in the book.Satanism is the religion and beliefs of the diverse.Not the mundane.Im starting a boycott on Belgian waffles.He doesnt even know Set's the egeptian form of the name satan.

Who the fuck is going to publish this butchery of the English language? I hope it's a Chinease publisher. Hell, the magazine I work for, a redneck hot rod mag, requires basic elementary school grammar. Your shit reads like my puke after an all night bender on tequila. Not very appealing.

#10968 - 08/24/08 02:11 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: fakepropht]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

i like to withdraw some comments i suffer from PTSD cause of an incident in the catholic church.sometimes i go on tangents.
#10976 - 08/24/08 06:14 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: napalm]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

If you are having such "attacks" try to controle yourself.
Feeling angry and you can't think clearly, take a step back and wait untill it is over then answer. Fucking yourself up is bad for the heart. But still try to do something about that grammar, it isn't that difficult. Just use a spell-checker. My mother tongue is dutch but if I take a look at some english others spelling I have to conclude mine is much better. And it is a great mistake to judge on my age or studies. It is easy to make an ass out of someone and it really gets simple if the guy is judging on such things.

Anyway, to get back on topic;
good books about the occult? I'd recomment reading all esotheric books and litrature wich seems appealing to you. When reading ask yourselves question about it. The best question is : WHY?
In this case, you gain much more knowledge, you know your ennemy and you have a good exercise in critical thinking. These are things that can lead towards succes if used properly.

Edited by Dimitri (08/24/08 06:16 AM)

#10983 - 08/24/08 08:25 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: napalm]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
i like to withdraw some comments i suffer from PTSD cause of an incident in the catholic church.sometimes i go on tangents.

WTF does that have to do with bad spelling and grammar?

Your almost 30 right?

If you are looking for sympathy, you will find it in the dictionary between 'shit' and 'syphilis.'

#10997 - 08/24/08 05:56 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

It's not sympathy I want,but I do need to work on destoying my weaknesses.I'll try to save the blogging for when I havn't been drinking.
#11004 - 08/24/08 08:02 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: napalm]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Fist
If you are looking for sympathy, you will find it in the dictionary between 'shit' and 'syphilis.'

I will have to remember that... The lady that taught me to tattoo used to always say "sorry falls between shit and sympathy"...

Originally Posted By: napalm
It's not sympathy I want,but I do need to work on destoying my weaknesses.I'll try to save the blogging for when I havn't been drinking.

Are we bloggers? I thought a blog was more like a diary...

I am so off topic... But saying you were either angry or drunk is nothing but a very simple excuse... Be responsible for what you do if you fuck up learn from it and correct it... Leave the excuses for the children...

The save...

I do not have a specific book to recommend but anything on the life and doings of P.T. Barnum is a must read for one walking this path... So many only remember the eccentrics like Crowley and LaVey forgetting the worldly lessons in the words and actions of P.T. Barnum...

~T~

#11074 - 08/27/08 09:58 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: ta2zz]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

Maybe I'm being too critical of the Simon Necronomicon.It might only have seen that bad cause I've done some pretty f&*^ed
up shtuff.But I'd trust it more if it was the original Latin text.

#11083 - 08/28/08 03:30 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: napalm]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
But I'd trust it more if it was the original Latin text.

Euhm,.. I don't know about this but the necronomicon has never been written in latin as far as I can remember. The first necronomicon dates back from Lovecrafts time and if I'm not mistaking it isn't even 100 years ago... Correct me if I'm mistaking here, history of the different kinds of necronomicons need to be a bit cleansed/ revised.

Unless you meant the egyptian book of dead, but that's written with hieroglyphes.

#11084 - 08/28/08 04:54 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Dimitri]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

No it was Latin.Trust me.An I don't mean the Al Azif.They only just discovered one from the 15th century.Its in one of the British Museums.There have been other books written that have got the name but there not the same.Ya know theres a list of like 5 different ones from different time periods but the actual one is the one written about 1200ad.It's in the Vatican(scarry shit). (But as for the Simon,even if it was made up,if enough people believe in an entity,and trying to summon it does that expended energy bring it to reality).hypothetically.
Azif translates in Arabic to(nocturnally the sound made by insects,supposedly the howling of demons......

Edited by napalm (08/28/08 05:30 AM)

Page 3 of 13 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.