Page 6 of 13 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#23425 - 04/18/09 03:21 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Diavolo]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Shortly after the Church of Satan was founded, Anton LaVey came up with a reading list for Satanists, which was revised/augmented until about 1970. In 1975 the Temple of Set came up with its own list, incorporating some of the C/S one, which has continued to be fiddled with to the present. While it has been pirated all over the Net, probably the most coherent and reliable place to find it is as Appendix #14 to my Temple of Set, available here.

Category #6 pertains specifically to "Satanism", but as this thread illustrates, literature relevant to the LHP generally overflows into many other categories (which is why we came up with 24 ).

The books in #6 originally selected by Anton are identifiable by his "AL:" comments, while mine are "MA:" and other Setians' are IDd to them.

This list was much more essential in pre-Internet times, since today you can Google any subject and get flooded with information about it. Indeed if you see an interesting book on the list, try Googling its name. For example, there was a recent digression in this thread about the Necronomicon, which HPL noted in personal correspondence that he had modeled after Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow, about which there is an excellent site here. Of course the "model" is another "book within a book", the best takeoff on which to date being James Blish's "More Light" (difficult to find, but included herein).

As another example, William Mortensen, whose Command to Look was of key inspiration to Anton and his "Law of the Trapezoid", has a nice website here.

The only word of caution here is that there is so much information available today, on the Net and otherwise, that you run the risk of blobbing into an "armchair occultist". Keep your personal aspirations always in mind, and go after information to refine, strengthen, and correct them.

#23802 - 04/26/09 05:47 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
While it has been pirated all over the Net, probably the most coherent and reliable place to find it is as Appendix #14 to my Temple of Set, available here.

Maybe I missed it, but was this a link to your reading list? The link seems to go to your list of personal writings and your CV.

#23979 - 05/01/09 10:42 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Fist
 Quote:
While it has been pirated all over the Net, probably the most coherent and reliable place to find it is as Appendix #14 to my Temple of Set, available here.

Maybe I missed it, but was this a link to your reading list? The link seems to go to your list of personal writings and your CV.

Yes, the link is to my personal page, and the reading list is one of the Appendices to the Temple of Set ebook which you can download there.

#25009 - 05/26/09 06:29 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
Scarlett156 Offline
pledge

Loc: rural Eastern Colorado (USA)
If these writings have not been brought up already, then:

Albert Camus:

The Plague.

H.P. Lovecraft:

At The Mountains Of Madness
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

There are a great many good recommendations for reading here, and a lot of it is available online. Good hunting!

~~~ yours in Chaos, Scarlett

#25012 - 05/26/09 08:11 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Scarlett156]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

What about these books are relevant to the LHP? Granted, most folks here enjoy Lovecraft but how does this add to anyone's understanding of the LHP?

#26098 - 06/24/09 01:54 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
I did a search on Ligotti to see if anyone had mentioned Thomas Ligotti yet. Apparently not.

So, not all his stuff is the best, but there is a particular short story (or novella?) called "The Shadow, The Darkness", which I would like to recommend. I don't want to provide spoilers, but will say that its overall themes seem rather Satanic and very inspiring. Keep an eye out for it; it appears in a collection called Teatro Grotesquo.

Edit: so, looking at Fist's last post here, probably the same criticism about relevance will be extended to my Ligotti plug. However, the "Delete Post" button doesn't seem to work for me, so it is kind of out of my hands.

G.O.D.

Edited by god.over.djinn (06/24/09 02:01 AM)

#26144 - 06/24/09 05:57 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: god.over.djinn]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Well, again, my point here is to ground people in their own identity using non-occult material. In the process of cementing their own sense of self, they will delve into the meta-physics of personal freedom and human interaction.

At this point, they will be a far better position to explore occult material. One of the worse things the new practitioner can do is to go straight for the low hanging fruit of the Barns & Noble 'occult' section. Most people don't understand their own basic reality. Much less, would they be in any position to affect new realities.

#26172 - 06/25/09 12:20 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I am currently reading _Just Shut the Fuck Up and Do Something_ written by our very own Morgan.

It's an in your face, strong read. It challenges you on some levels, and has you shaking your head in agreement in others. Highly recommended for the person new to this way of life, as well as the one that has been walking this path for many years. Sometimes we need a gut check, and Morgan is more than willing to provide it, with a roundhouse.

#26176 - 06/25/09 12:26 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: fakepropht]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I'd be very interested in reading that, and would love to know if it's possible if I could check it out as well?

#26177 - 06/25/09 12:34 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: fakepropht]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I'm reading through it as well. And I like what I see so far.

Spiderbreeder: I am sure if you asked she would provide you with a copy.

#26642 - 07/02/09 04:25 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: fakepropht]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Thank You.
I am glad that the people who have read my book have enjoyed it.
I wasn't expecting to get rich with the book, I thought it was just something that had to be organized and written down.

Some people have the signed limited edition paper version of my book. Even though I have it for sale on my website, if you ask and send me you your email address I will send you the pdf. version for free.

Enjoy,
Morgan

#26644 - 07/02/09 06:00 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Morgan]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I've also read Morgan's book.

It was just the kick in the ass I needed to get out of a false feeling of complacency I've let myself lapse into about certain situations in my life lately- the part where it states if you don't like a situation, don't whine about it, 'Just Shut The Fuck Up And Do Something" is so bloody true.

Good on you Morgan, Fantastic read! ;\)

#27742 - 07/30/09 02:37 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I've always admired Blake's work, but one thing I recently noticed that I never had before, is that in all of Blake's paintings, Satan and the fallen angels are visually indistinguishable from the other angels- that is, most artists (like Dore) drew Lucifer and the others as having batlike wings-- Blake's Satan, on the other hand, is still thoroughly angelic.

#28086 - 08/07/09 05:30 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Morbid Rex Offline

I'd like to add these if nobodies mentioned them yet.

The Outsider by Colin Wilson, this book was very profound when I read it, and had an immediate impact, definately brings up some interesting philosophical and existential points.

The Third Chimpanzee which deals with human evolution and our place in relation to our cousins.

And Les Chants De Moldoror which I plan on ordering soon, it is a truly diabolical work with a main character described by many as a "Satanic Anti-Hero."

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#28088 - 08/07/09 06:56 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Morbid Rex]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
 Originally Posted By: Morbid Rex

The Third Chimpanzee which deals with human evolution and our place in relation to our cousins.

Yup, if a non-fiction writer can be categorised as having merit or not according to whether or not they have a significant impact on your worldview, then Dr. Diamond is right up there. I thought Guns, Germs & Steel was even better than Rise & Fall of the Third Chimpanzee.

I also liked Stephen Jay Gould's Life's Grandeur (US title: Full House) for a counter-anthropocentric look at the statistical mechanisms that drive evolution.

Furthermore, entry-level texts on the philosophy of science generally seem geared towards developing the student's critical thinking skills. As such skills also behove the Satanist, the following books may be added to recommendations already given:
  • What is this thing called science? by Alan Chalmers
  • Sex and Death: An Introduction to Philosophy of Biology by Kim Sterelny & Paul E. Griffiths

Chalmers in particular investigates many competing theories on how science ideally should be conducted, how it is actually conducted by scientists, and how much importance we should ascribe to scientific results.

Google Books has partial preview available for this book, including the table of contents. My personal favourite philosophies presented are Feyerabend's "science is a form of sorcery", and Bayesian theories of knowledge which describes truth in probabilistic terms based on the amount of supporting evidence available.

G.O.D.

Page 6 of 13 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.