Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#42059 - 08/19/10 12:17 PM To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA

I have an old VHS tape lying around in which I had recorded CNN's coverage of Dr.LaVey's death in 1997. This clip was played repeatedly the weekend his passing was revealed to the general public. In it, Karla and Blanche appear at the Black House and affirm that while he did not believe a literal devil with cloven hoofs, he did believe in magic and practiced it religiously. I don't remember if those where the exact words Karla or Blanche used, but it was something along those lines.

While I am aware of Dr.LaVey's utilization of GM during the earlier years of the Church, beyond an awkward clip in the 1993 Nick Bougas film, _Speak of the Devil_ and the Santa Ana Winds Heagarty/Huberty event from Blance Barton's _COS_,I have not seen any public documentation of his use of ritual magic in his later years. I also understand at some time in the mid seventies, he ceased writing about GM altogether. It is said that at a certain point, the Satanist no longer needs a ritual chamber to do GM but some still find enjoyment in using one.

Jake, did Anton LaVey ever engage in GM ritual when you knew him? Or was spending time in the ritual chamber for him a thing of the past? Did you ever participate in a GM ritual with Dr.LaVey?

Duende

Edited by Duende (08/19/10 12:25 PM)

#42060 - 08/19/10 12:39 PM Re: To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual [Re: Duende]
Jake999 Offline

Well... Dr. LaVey would never be so pretentious as to even concentrate on labeling things as GM or LM or GBM. Certainly, there's a difference, but it's gotten downright silly in this and other threads to be quite honest with you. Magic is Magic is Magic... all of this black/white and inbetween was something he really didn't consider. It was a tool.

When I was in the Administration in the 80's yes, we did engage in ritualized magic, when there was a need for it. And you're right. A Satanist does not NEED to ritualize unless that ritualization fulfills some psychological or emotional need for the cathartic action/reaction desired. And Dr. LaVey would have been the first to tell you that magic IS when and where it is, whether you're in the ritual chamber or not. Magic begins within the magician's mind and all else flows from there.

As he responded when I asked if he performed rituals at one of his places other than the Black House, "Yes, but you wouldn't know the words... but you WILL." And when you do know the words, you can begin to understand the universality of "magic" and what "magic" is in its various forms. Yes, it's Will to Power. Yes, it's Imposition of Will. Yes, it's catalyst for action... it's this and more. And for the person whose like IS magic, they become naturally occurring events.

As for participating in a "GM" ritual with Dr. LaVey... yes, certainly, both in and outside or the ritual chamber.

Edited by Jake999 (08/19/10 12:40 PM)

#42062 - 08/19/10 01:04 PM Re: To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual [Re: Jake999]
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA
Thanks for your insight into the matter, Jake. It is very much appreciated!

#42087 - 08/19/10 09:10 PM Re: To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual [Re: Duende]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
I actually have a question for Jake. Do you still perform ritual?
#42088 - 08/19/10 09:13 PM Re: To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual [Re: Lamar]
Jake999 Offline

As in group ritual? No. I'm retired...

Do I perform personal rituals? Yes. I do, but you wouldn't recognize the words.

#42089 - 08/19/10 09:15 PM Re: To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual [Re: Jake999]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
That was a quick reply I must say haha. What do you mean I wounldn't understand the words? You mean like talking in Enochian? Or do the mean the Will to Power?
#42092 - 08/19/10 10:42 PM Re: To Jake :Anton LaVey and Greater Magic Ritual [Re: Lamar]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Humm. Not to speak for Jake, but consider this - Ritual is the form, not the substance.

'Magic' can be manifested in ways that are completely unrecognizable to many.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.009 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.