Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#42104 - 08/20/10 10:21 AM Senator gets yelled at over health care
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Lying beyotch (Kay Hagan,D, NC).

At least she got shredded in public.

#42110 - 08/20/10 12:55 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

That was pretty funny. The part about the kind of car that the people drove was a really lame argument though. Lots of people live beyond their means. And many people who are well to do drive very modest cars. Not all rich people are like rappers who spend all their money on frivolous things like Hummers with diamond studded spinners.

#42113 - 08/20/10 01:58 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Fnord Offline

The car argument was lame, the underlying argument about fraud and channeling funds into stopping it is valid though.

In fact, fraud is a major issue that I have with most social programs. For some reason, there's never the time or inclination to think through these delivery systems to see where they may be taken advantage of. The root cause of that is politicians hurrying things through for the self interested reason of garnering votes or pleasing their respective bases (or the lobbies they owe for getting them onto the gravy train).

What was clear to me was that the senator was ill prepared to answer questions about specifics of a program that she voted for.

I, for one, would never allow myself to be so clueless about my own job, particularly when the pay grade is nearly 5 times that of the average American household ($169,300 + benefits annually). I'm so sick of rampant incompetency and the fact that even 'smart' people today can't seem to add 2 plus fucking 2.

#42115 - 08/20/10 02:32 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yeah social programs are defrauded all the time. Cases of fraud are usually found out, though as is the norm with government bureaucracy it can take a long time. A great recent example of this can be found here.

Quote:
Harvey Gaither, 58, received nine years of free home care courtesy of the state due to his disability. While state investigators don't argue that Gaither has a disability, they said it's not severe enough for him to receive state-funded health care and food stamps that cost taxpayers almost $100,000.

"He said he couldn't walk. We know that he could walk. He said that he could not drive. We know that he could drive," said Donna Maddux, of the state's Medicaid fraud unit.

What doesn't make sense is that they knew this man could walk and drive yet they still fell for the scam. In a way it almost seems like the state deserved to be taken advantage of because their own stupidity/incompetence allowed it to happen. Unfortunately it is the tax payers who are really getting the shaft in the end.

Oh and something else that doesn't make sense: How does someone get disability benefits for having a shaky voice and hands? I have a hangnail right now, where the fuck are my benefits? What's next? Are alcoholics and other drug addicts going to be allowed disability benefits because of their lack of self control and personal responsibility?

Edit: It is common for politicians to not be able to explain themselves. The blame here, in my opinion, rests with the people who voted for them in the first place. It is pretty funny though. I mean, could you imagine going to a job interview and asking "what is that you actually do here?"

Edited by 6Satan6Archist6 (08/20/10 02:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Marked

#42116 - 08/20/10 02:48 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Fnord]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Fnord

What was clear to me was that the senator was ill prepared to answer questions about specifics of a program that she voted for.

I, for one, would never allow myself to be so clueless about my own job, particularly when the pay grade is nearly 5 times that of the average American household ($169,300 + benefits annually). I'm so sick of rampant incompetency and the fact that even 'smart' people today can't seem to add 2 plus fucking 2.

While I agree with you in principle (and I suspect others here would as well), I would submit the following.

But first, take a deep breath and relax. ;\)

Kay Hagan was a five-term state Senator in NC before beating Elizabeth Dole to become the state's junior US Senator. Based on those successes, I would submit that perhaps you're using the wrong criteria to judge her on.

What that implies about the average knowledge or intelligence of American citizens is disheartening, but there you have it.

#42118 - 08/20/10 03:06 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Autodidact]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: Autodidact

Kay Hagan was a five-term state Senator in NC before beating Elizabeth Dole to become the state's junior US Senator. Based on those successes, I would submit that perhaps you're using the wrong criteria to judge her on.

What that implies about the average knowledge or intelligence of American citizens is disheartening, but there you have it.

Ok, I'll judge her on her successful 'career' as a politician (aka leech) compounded by the fact that her politics are diametrically opposed to my own, and again compounded by the fact that she can't answer a simple question when confronted by her constituents.

If you see fit to support folks like this then all I can suggest is that you turn your last sentence around on yourself.

#42121 - 08/20/10 04:03 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Fnord]
Autodidact Offline

Ok, I'll judge her on her successful 'career' as a politician (aka leech) compounded by the fact that her politics are diametrically opposed to my own, and again compounded by the fact that she can't answer a simple question when confronted by her constituents.

If you see fit to support folks like this then all I can suggest is that you turn your last sentence around on yourself.

You misunderstand me - I should have explained better.

I agreed with you, and I don't support folks like her. She is a successful politician, and , as you say, she cannot answer simple questions. I was merely pointing out that, clearly, answering questions from her constituents is not a requirement for being successful.

#42125 - 08/20/10 04:43 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Autodidact]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: Autodidact

You misunderstand me - I should have explained better.

I agreed with you, and I don't support folks like her. She is a successful politician, and , as you say, she cannot answer simple questions. I was merely pointing out that, clearly, answering questions from her constituents is not a requirement for being successful.

Oh, sorry then, my mistake.

I thought you were calling me stupid in your last sentence in context with the one right before it. Now that I go back and re-read it I can see how I made the mistake.

Just reacting to a perceived slight, no hard feelings!

#42129 - 08/20/10 05:17 PM Re: Senator gets yelled at over health care [Re: Fnord]
Autodidact Offline

Just reacting to a perceived slight, no hard feelings!

No blood, no foul \:\)

I stand in wonderment, though, that in this modern, information-rich environment, too many constituents still react only emotionally, usually polarized by media presentations devoid of facts - even the politicians themselves, it seems, can't be "expected" to understand the legislation.

On the one hand, it's pretty good for me, as I can teach my children how to leverage this. On the other hand, there's some pretty idiotic laws getting passed ...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.