Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#46738 - 01/13/11 09:32 PM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I realise this thread is old and hasn't been responded to in quite some time, however, I thought I'd provide some information based on personal experience in this matter.

Anonymous wasn't any kind of organized group or community. It was more or less 12-18 year old kids who like to hang out on 4chan's /b/ forum. There are no registered screen names on 4chan, and you would post as 'Anonymous' unless you provided a name for yourself in the specified field in each post you made. That is where they got their name.

/b/ back in the day used to be all about trying to fuck over people who they deemed deserving of it. This happened to Soulja Boy, for the simple fact that he bad mouthed /b/ in a Youtube video. They stole accounts, made a fake gay sex tape, and prank called his dad. Another such memorable moment was the day a teen girl appeared in a thread with pictures of herself performing oral sex on her dog. One observant anon noticed a newspaper in the background of the picture and managed dig up the girl's identity. The pictures were emailed to her parents, friends, and school faculty. Hilarity ensued, depending on who you talk to.

Anyway, one day, one anon decided he didn't like Scientology and proposed Project Chanology, in which other anons who wished to participate would DDoS Scientology websites, make prank calls, make public their messages to Scientology via Youtube and other outlets, and stage the protests in front of Scientology buildings. As things progressed, some people tried to give it a nobel meaning, but at it's base, it was just /b/ fucking with people it didn't like, whether for better or worse. They were the 'internet hate machine' afterall.

So there you have it. Project Chanology was a joke engineered by teenagers on an internet forum.

#46739 - 01/13/11 09:47 PM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: Clicks]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Yup, and they've also alerted authorities to the puppy-chucking girl over in Bosnia (?), getting justice for Epic Beard Man in Oakland, CA, and saving a cat from his abusive owner (Operation Save Dusty 2 was an epic failure though, but much lulz ensued).

I know all about /b/, although I admit that when I started this thread I had yet to become a /b/tard. How sad is it that I know what that means? *sigh*

#46740 - 01/13/11 09:52 PM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: Nemesis]
Clicks Offline

Not so sad, really. /b/ can be a great resource if you can make your way through the sea of trolls to get to an anon who is there to act as a legit person. I'd been there since a few months after it's creation, and I have witnessed some seriously funny things. The fact that nobody is afraid to post anything on that forum allows for both extreme hilarity, and extreme stupidity (which can end up as hilarity).

I think I was 17 or 18 for the whole chanology thing. I'll admit to placing some prank calls and showing up at a protest. It was all in good fun while also brining negative attention to an organization that I think deserved it.

But then Boxxy happened, and /b/ has never been the same.

Edited by Clicks (01/13/11 09:53 PM)

#46741 - 01/13/11 10:27 PM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: Clicks]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
There's nothing wrong with being a /b/tard in some respects Nem; one of my friends frequents 4chan, and he's pretty much a fountain of funny pics for me.

And besides, at least you know the epicness of Blockatiel.

And Clicks, I think Boxxy has affected pretty much everyone. Even those that know of 4chan but don't venture there. I'm one of those people too.

#46742 - 01/13/11 10:46 PM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: DistroyA]
Clicks Offline

I was forunate enough to have missed the whole Boxxy thing while I was at boot camp. I came back to a /b/ that was just disappointing, or rather, more dissapointing. No matter how good it's ever seemed, there were always that majority that really didn't understand the unwritten rules (and the written ones) by which the older /b/tards operated best under. I don't think anyone even remembers the Epic of Charles anymore. It was the highest quality piece of literature I've ever brought out of my head.

#46753 - 01/14/11 03:25 AM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: Clicks]
JysusCryst Offline
stranger

Loc: Iraq
We keep talking about 4chan and /b/ is going to invade us!
Rules 1 & 2 after all...

The latest big raids where the companies that cut support of Wikileaks. MasterCard, Visa, and Paypal all suffered under thier attacks.

Was Anonymous attacking someone it didn't like? Yes. Were they doing it for a 'noble' cause? Some were, some were doing it just for the lulz. No one can really pin a motive on Anonymous.

I wonder what Anonymous will target next...

#46754 - 01/14/11 03:41 AM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: JysusCryst]
Clicks Offline

Everyone knows that the rules don't apply, even if they do.

I don't keep up with /b/ too much anymore. It was great for me back in the day, and I just can't seem to relive that greatness now. It's too different from what I was used to, and I guess the sentiment is getting in the way of my enjoyment.

Also the fact that no one there knows the Epic of Charles. That came from the heart. I'm a bit hurt that no one knows what it is, or is interested in love triangles that involve a horse.

#103940 - 11/16/15 02:02 PM Re: Anonymous vs. The Church of Scientology [Re: Nemesis]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Old thread, funny read.

Satanists see villains and boogey men too, even if they can seemingly be dismissed away as a dangerous cult. I'd say the Co$ has Satanic qualities.

The NY Times published this article shortly before "Going Clear" was aired on HBO.

Quote:
“Part of the message here is that you don’t need to fear Scientology anymore,”

The danger perceived is best demonstrated by an organized group applying tactics so often discussed by 'Satanists' yet so rarely practiced.

Typically when dissenters are sought after, it's because they have given away their weaknesses. Why shouldn't those be exploited? Because it's immoral? It's all very fascinating to observe and discuss but I don't feel indignant when I see the force of the Church of Scientology at play in the world.

While watching Going Clear , I just kept thinking to myself, what would bring a person to submit their complete will to an organization promising the world, taking everything but giving so little? (Journalists included). Comparatively, I see similar traits in the people that sought out Heaven's Gate. Sorting through all the documented events, all the cues are there that tell me that there was complete submission to ideals , long before finding Marshall Applewhite. People can become disenchanted with life and living overall, so a ready-fix in the form of a packaged religion is just a placebo. Whether by 'cult' or their own hand, self-annihilation is the only resolve. It doesn't mean it will always end in mass suicide. Plenty of people have obviously directly benefited from affiliation with the organization of Scientology. As a sort of way in, and corporate strong-hold to particular fields of business and profit.

Users of 4Chan have their own moral code as well as imaginary lines that shouldn't be crossed. Trolling is just the chosen method of reacting to a moral violation. There's been plenty of instances of public fare where anonymous users play savior to the unsuspecting public (the "Make Your Own Crystals" post comes to mind).

It's giggle worthy that a handful of people could penetrate top of the line cyber-security to cause disruption in operations but its not exactly conquering the beast.

While the marketing portrayed the documentary to blow the lid off this thing, it didn't exactly present anything new, nor will it have any real affects on those "trapped in the matrix of belief". Even the poster boy Mike Rinder wasn't all that convincing, the response from Scientologists was as expected.

When John Sweeney of the BBC conducted his investigative report, he lost his shit on camera at the hands of Mike Rinder. The way the tactic was employed was art. Later, when Sweeny did a follow up after Rinder left the Co$, they had a laugh about it but Sweeney was embarrassed by his own loss of control. And his ego took a hit because it was at the hand of Rinder.

It's like that for a lot of these people that maintain membership. They harbor feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment because the tactics guide their thoughts to those feelings. Those that don't give a flying fuck, benefit by playing the Devil's game. You need money to play that game, so it's usually the broke or those with a lot to lose that end up casualties.

Auditing is just getting dirt. It's all "Sit down and give us your dirt!" So again, I don't see the issue with exploiting that as a means to an end. Even after the celebrity shake-down in Going Clear, it didn't really have an affect. Just more entertainment for the public and opportunity for profit. I'm sure Leah Remini is getting paid for her appearances and her memoir is selling hot right now. Smart business move on her behalf. Use the same tactics, exploit Scientology controversy for your own ends.

Hell, I didn't even know who she was until the rag mags in the grocery isle were covered with her face .

These people voluntarily participated in Scientology as an organization; self-responsibility vs. painting them "other" villains.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.