Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#42119 - 08/20/10 03:42 PM Computer Magic
Lucifer Rising Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
I've been raised with computers. I think the computer may be one of the most marvelous inventions of mankind. This might seem a bit odd, but I use my computer for ritual sometimes. Imagine a dark room, a glowing monitor displaying pictures and symbols, a soft hollow ring, the sound of static slightly varying, buzzing of fans, and an eerie digital voice chanting. The chanting and the images revolve around your desires and you fill with confidence as the voice speaks to you.

Now there are many ways to do this. Of course the images and chanting change with the desires. It can be completely personalized to fit just about anyone. Some people this might work well, others it might seem strange or even tacky. Doing things like this help me, it can add to the experience. You can even record your own voice for the chants.

Has anyone else experimented with this?

#42123 - 08/20/10 04:18 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Lucifer Rising

I have not, but I can imagine a lot of things along the lines you lay out:

Surround sound speakers, various types of music playlists, text-to-speech, multiple flatscreen monitors (not as expensive as they used to be), projectors (most have VGA inputs), nice red lighting on and in the PC case itself, mics and webcams for live shared or recorded rituals, ...

#42124 - 08/20/10 04:19 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Jake999 Offline

You are way, way behind the curve on this one. Many people have thought about the integration of computers into ritual because of the RF emanations and the ease in which one could have the focus of concentration on the screen... perhaps the depiction of an enemy's demise... and at the climax of the ritual, the "send button" is pressed by the celebrant of the ritual. Like the imaginary lightning bolt being blasted out into the darkness.

At least one movie has included computerization and ritual, notable EVIL SPEAK EVIL SPEAK TRAILER

Back when personal computers were begnning to gain in popularity (early 80s), they were being discussed. There were several conversations at the Black House that I can remember in which we considered ways to use them, from controlling various aspects of the ritual at hand to, as above, being the focal point of the ritual as a visual prop.

#42126 - 08/20/10 05:00 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I've been using mine as a major component for ritual for the better part of ten years. Sometimes my computer and myself are the only components of my ritual.

Something a bit odd that I do is to use my computer as a bridge to my subconscious mind. If anyone is interested in that I'll expand.

But yes, I use the computer all the time in ritual.

#42128 - 08/20/10 05:13 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA
I've been raised with computers. I think the computer may be one of the most marvelous inventions of mankind. This might seem a bit odd, but I use my computer for ritual sometimes. Imagine a dark room, a glowing monitor displaying pictures and symbols, a soft hollow ring, the sound of static slightly varying, buzzing of fans, and an eerie digital voice chanting. The chanting and the images revolve around your desires and you fill with confidence as the voice speaks to you.

Now there are many ways to do this. Of course the images and chanting change with the desires. It can be completely personalized to fit just about anyone. Some people this might work well, others it might seem strange or even tacky. Doing things like this help me, it can add to the experience. You can even record your own voice for the chants.

I briefly participated in a short lived group which used a slick for it's time computer program as an entrance ritual.
It involved evocative colorful symbolism of inverted multicolor pentagrams flashing and morphing on the screen. As soon as each meaningful sequence finished, the program subtly requested a keyboard stroke to shift to the next stage.
Presently, I use a computer to provide the sound effects for my rituals. My favorite feature is the ability to create and change playlists to sculpt the appropriate atmosphere at the right time.
A group ritual through Second Life or Skype would be interesting.

Duende

Edited by Duende (08/20/10 05:23 PM)

#42133 - 08/20/10 08:23 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Fnord]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Jake, you know I really enjoy your posts. I see you most often as the voice of common sense in many topics. I expected my idea wasn't original. It is merely something I thought to bring into discussion. I use my computer in ritual fairly often. I should have some things to share about it, and I expect others do to. We have a forum to discuss such things. I'm going to have to watch that movie though. It looks pretty interesting.

Moving on...

One thing I've heard a couple people talk about is hitting submit buttons or something of the sort at the end or perhaps during a ritual. I usually don't like doing that for many rituals. During the times of the ritual I somewhat treat the computer as an independent agent of its own. I don't tend to interact with it much.

However, there are certain things that I do that are more interactive. One off the top of my head is I IM myself. Seems silly, but I will type out certain phrases and words in purposeful ways to make sure they have a greater effect on me. First I have to think of what to say, and I'm saying it to myself. Then I have to type it out and I read it on the screen. Then when I send it, there comes up two copies of it which I read. Its simple repetition, but I find that a very effective way of using it.

I actually have done a few rituals in Second Life, but I didn't really like it. I usually prefer to use my computer in my rituals for ambiance for what I'm physically doing, which is usually something more like meditation, sometimes sitting still, sometimes doing different actions repetitiously, and saying my own chants.

What I do think would be great, though, is ritualistic video games. I think its possible to use enough psychological tricks to really bring a person into it. However, I'm sure everyone would want it to be a certain way, looking for somewhat specific experiences. It could simply be impractical for anyone that doesn't have the knowledge and skill to make their own.

Originally Posted By: Fnord
Something a bit odd that I do is to use my computer as a bridge to my subconscious mind. If anyone is interested in that I'll expand.

Yes, do explain. I'm certainly interested.

#42147 - 08/21/10 02:10 AM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Master Magick Offline
pledge

Loc: New York, USA
\:\) I was going to post that Evil Dead trailer... fun flick "mans most advanced machine" (TRS80 anyone? lol)

As for the OP... whatever works best for you in ritual is what you should use. If its a computer doing the talking with an animated Pentagram on your altar, go for it.

#42149 - 08/21/10 02:50 AM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Imagine a dark room, a glowing monitor displaying pictures and symbols, a soft hollow ring, the sound of static slightly varying, buzzing of fans, and an eerie digital voice chanting. The chanting and the images revolve around your desires and you fill with confidence as the voice speaks to you.

Pull it up a notch, why only use 1 monitor?
There are many gadgets to create those special feelings. Use a projector to shine a self-made powerpoint on your blank walls/ceiling while using a covered up surround system for the multi-dimensional sound-effects.
And if you really want to be badass you can always put the projector on some kind of rotating table.
If you cover everything up very nicely and add some classic ritual stuff such as candles you'd be more then pleased to have made a little piece of hell yourself. Imagine the looks on other faces as soon as you put everything to work.

If you are a small computer genius you can program a flying skull or demon in the red-blue shift and put on 3d glasses so it seems real ghosts are flying around.

As for the music part, I think the best sounds for these purposes can be found in the ambient-category if you search a bit on youtube. Example: Click1 , click2 .

I did this whole set-up once. It was for some movie-project we did for school. I was quite pleased with the result, only too bad my camera sucked big time at the moment and that many details were too blurry to be noticed. I wish I still had the clip somewhere, but due to a computer crash last year I lost quite some files.. even a big part of my photography-art.

As Jake mentioned, the integration of a computer can be done in different ways. It can be used as a tool during ritual or as a tool to provide and create an eerie feeling. And computers nowadays have tremendous more capacity and calculating power then they had during the 80ies and 90ies. There are many many more gadgets to create scenes and conduct rituals in group with the use of these extra's. Imagine a group ritual in front of a major webcam gathering. You can project what you see on walls adding up to the experience. The best "wtf"-moment can be achieved that when the ritual is done and you log everything off that you are basically standing in an empty white room.

Edit: Now I think of it, I still have some loose papers laying around the place with the materials and set-up I have used back then. I might consider filing them and write a full-blown guide in conducting and giving a "box" with the equipment and files to give to those interested in trying it out.
Fuck, I might even convert certain rites of the ONA and rituals from ASL in such a casing. "For your entertainment only".

Edited by Dimitri (08/21/10 03:20 AM)

#42157 - 08/21/10 06:04 AM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Dimitri]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Dimitri, any insight into this would be interesting. I'm always up for new ideas. Though I'm working on a budget so it might be a while before I can get real fancy. Lack of monetary resources is one of the major reasons I use my computer as much as I do for ritual. I don't have to buy more stuff.

I did have a great set up with a rather large TV and two monitors hooked up to my computer at one time. I miss it.

#42183 - 08/21/10 01:56 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

#42206 - 08/21/10 10:26 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I think the use of EEG could be a powerful addition to ritual technology. I've heard of electronic musicians using EEG rigged as a midi controller. With some money, soldering, and programming knowledge you could have sound, lights, images, and anything else you could control from a computer all directed by your brain waves. With enough experimentation you could have a ritual chamber that interacts with your emotional responses.

I'm shooting a bit over my own knowledge already but I think the same technology that formed the famous auto-tune vocal effect could be used well for EEG. For those that don't know it's based on a program using mathematics to snap sound frequencies 'close' to a certain one right to it. The original purpose was to help ships find oil with sonar if I recall. I can see how this could be applied to make EEG control a lot easier for the non-expert.

#42207 - 08/21/10 11:37 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: TV is God]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Good thinking with the EEG, TV. Really good idea.

I suppose, given the proper know how, one could buy a Mindflex and be able to do some things with that for fairly cheap. Considering the hardest bits of the technology are already included, you could probably just take it apart and use the energy output typically given to the fans as a way of controlling certain devices. I might look into that at some point. Seems like it would be a great project.

#42299 - 08/23/10 01:20 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Lucifer Rising Offline

I thought to expand on something that may or may not be that important. Earlier I said I prefer to treat my computer as if it is a separate entity during ritual. To clarify a bit, I often view my computer as an extension of my own mind. When my computer talks to me and creates these atmospheres, it is fully recognized that this is an expression of myself. So during the ritual, I am letting a part of myself act independently and reverse the normal flow of interaction. Instead of me manipulating and changing the computer, the computer manipulates and changes me.

Just thought I'd throw that in there for whatever it's worth. It's rather difficult to explain; I hope I was clear enough.

#42324 - 08/23/10 09:11 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA
I thought to expand on something that may or may not be that important. Earlier I said I prefer to treat my computer as if it is a separate entity during ritual. To clarify a bit, I often view my computer as an extension of my own mind. When my computer talks to me and creates these atmospheres, it is fully recognized that this is an expression of myself. So during the ritual, I am letting a part of myself act independently and reverse the normal flow of interaction. Instead of me manipulating and changing the computer, the computer manipulates and changes me.

What you are doing seems to be simillar to a shamanic journey, in which the conscious mind gives up control to allow the forces of the subconsciousness to arise in a more or less uncontrolled manner.
What symbols does the computer as a ritual tool represent to you?
Are the results you get from your computer rituals different in quality from those in which you do not use a computer?

#42325 - 08/23/10 10:20 PM Re: Computer Magic [Re: Duende]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Originally Posted By: Duende
What symbols does the computer as a ritual tool represent to you?

The symbols I choose to use depend upon the telos of the ritual. There are a few standards I have. I use artistic depictions of Satan, and there are of course a few pentagrams thrown in there. I use a lot of Alchemical and Gnostic symbols as well. I also use artistic renditions of the scenes from the Tarot. Yet, a lot of imagery that I use is merely what I gather from the web that I feel suits the particular ritual. Sometime, but rarely, I will use the self hypnosis videos on YouTube instead, and those are mostly just pretty flashing lights.

Originally Posted By: Duende
Are the results you get from your computer rituals different in quality from those in which you do not use a computer?

I think my rituals with the computer, for me, seem to be more intense. Part of it is that it is a dynamic element. I think that keeps your attention more focused on a ritual. Kind of like how a flame can catch your attention for certain rituals, be it a candle or a bonfire. Yet, I think it has more to do with my how personally connected I am with my computer. As I had said, I view my computer as if it is part of myself, which is something I think adds an extra element to it.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.299 seconds of which 0.271 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.