Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#42138 - 08/20/10 11:12 PM Amityville Horror house "tag sale"
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Tag sale at 'Amityville Horror' house
(08/20/10) AMITYVILLE - It's known as a house of horrors, but it's actually filled with some first-class furniture.

The Dutch Colonial at 108 Ocean Ave. in Amityville is holding a tag sale tomorrow.

The goods up for grabs at the Amityville Horror house include a piano, a chandelier, a wide selection of furniture and rugs, and a kayak.

Cell phones, cameras and minors will not be permitted inside the house. The sale is from 9:55 a.m. to 4:55 p.m.

The house was made infamous in the 1970s when a young man killed his six family members there. It later became the subject of a series of horror books and films.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So much for changing the address to keep away the curious. I almost cannot understand why this is news. Well at least it seems like it is only local news.

The house is also for sale in the 1.4 million area from a quick scan of a few headlines.

~T~

#42148 - 08/21/10 02:23 AM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: ta2zz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I'm pretty sure that the stuff they are selling is going to be really expensive and I doubt that any of it actually belonged to the DeFeos. Even still I think it would be cool to own something from that house; perhaps a window or something like that. I really wouldn't consider this to be news either. It is more like an advertisement than anything.

#42169 - 08/21/10 01:07 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Oh my I forgot this link http://www.amitygalleries.com/_img/108Amityville/index.html

That at least lets you see some of the antiques they were selling. I assume most were items owned by the latest resident.

Those evil shaped windows would be nice but from my understanding their real value would truly be as a collectible movie prop.

~T~

#42191 - 08/21/10 03:59 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: ta2zz]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, if nothing else this bolsters the idea that real estate is a solid investment... even real estate with a storied past.

Lutz reportedly bought the house for around 80k. After a small succession of residents, Brian Wilson (no, not THAT Brian Wilson.. the current owner) bought the place for somewhere around 300k.

If it it brings in a million plus these days then it has at least quintupled its value over the years (allowing for inflation).

All that aside, I wish I could just walk through it. :0)

#42192 - 08/21/10 04:00 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: ta2zz]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
If anyone's planning to stop by, you might be dissapointed. The facade of the house has been completely redesigned. The owner's did it years ago to stop people from gawking.

So, no more spooky windows, lol

#42193 - 08/21/10 05:13 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: Knievel74]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Eh, personally I would rather have something from the Manson family. (Charles, not Marylin). I actually own a piece of stone that supposedly came from Sharon Tates fire place.

Or maybe a pot holder from Dalmer's kitchen.

I also own the lid from Elvis's toilet.

Yeah, I'm weird and like fucked up artifacts.

Nah, just kidding about Elvis' toilet, but that would be cool.

#42202 - 08/21/10 08:05 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: Asmedious]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
I have to somewhat admire that guy. Just because he's the guy that lives there, completely unafraid of demonic possession. Somewhat sets him apart from the average person.

I wonder if he ever watches horror movies about his house, in his house. That's what I really want to do, go over there and watch Amityville Horror in the Amityville house. He could probably make a killing renting out his living room without changing anything except maybe a big flat screen TV and surround sound, which he might already have. You could probably charge $2000 and you'd still have somebody come through about once a month to watch the movie in the house.

#42214 - 08/22/10 07:38 AM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: Lucifer Rising]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Good idea there, Lucifer Rising! I wouldn't want to live in a house where such a horrible murder had been committed, though. The demonic possession nonsense wouldn't bother me but I'd feel sorry for the Lutz family all the time and remembering what happened would creep me out.
I'd rent the house where "The Exorcist" was made, though! \:D

Edited by felixgarnet (08/22/10 07:39 AM)
Edit Reason: For typing 2 instead of " so it looked like I liked "Exorcist 2", which was rubbish.

#42245 - 08/22/10 07:44 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: felixgarnet]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Hi Felix...

So you would feel sorry for people you never met for things totally out of your control?

I know its soooooo off topic but if the moderators do not mind fuck everybody else.

~T~

#42248 - 08/22/10 09:02 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: ta2zz]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Yes. It saddens me to think that children were shot dead while they slept.

#42301 - 08/23/10 01:52 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: felixgarnet]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Hopefully not too much. The DeFeo family murders took place 36 years ago in 1974.

At least a single gunshot wound was quick. There are far worse deaths that children face every day. It would be quite crushing to feel for them all.

~T~

#42364 - 08/24/10 05:41 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: ta2zz]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
I find it funny that since the Lutz family moved out, there hasn't been any further supernatural incidents reported. Which means, in my opinion, the Lutz family was full of shit. It's been over 30 years and absolutely nothing has ever been reported since. All they did was try to capitalize on the DeFeo tragedy.

#42433 - 08/25/10 02:04 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: Knievel74]
Fnord Offline

I'm still not sold on the idea that they did it for the money... too much doesn't add up.

I was absolutely obsessed at one time with researching this case. Traded emails with Lutz and DeFeo's wife as well as with Rick Moran and Ric Osuna. There's a LOT to the story.

#42434 - 08/25/10 02:13 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

The DeFeo incident was definitely an odd one considering that all the victims were found in their beds and the gun used, a Marlin .35, is not quiet. The first shot should have awakened the rest of the family members.

I'm not saying that I think anything supernatural was at work but the circumstances are quite odd.

#42435 - 08/25/10 02:20 PM Re: Amityville Horror house "tag sale" [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Fnord Offline

In bed, face down.

The witness testimony is even more puzzling... as is the unburned gunpowder on the now missing nightshirt. There are lots of theories around what actually happened, but fewer explanations.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.