#42265 - 08/22/10 11:52 PM A look at 'Social Darwinism'
Wake Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia

I found this video interesting.

#42295 - 08/23/10 05:13 AM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Wake]
Shadow Dragon Offline
pledge

I agree with the Amazing Athiest on this one. The mindless masses are generally more useful to society than most social darwinists and yes, true radicals are the ones who work to change things, not just bitch about them online.

#42298 - 08/23/10 01:06 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Shadow Dragon]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Good video. I'd seen it before, but seeing it here makes me think it would've been a nice addition to the "culling" thread.

#42347 - 08/24/10 11:48 AM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: XiaoGui17]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Good video?

I do realize it is a bit cold for the time of the year but it should not be that cold a brain starts hibernating.

This video might seem good to the average twelve year old but I expect people here to demand arguments that are intellectually more stimulating and have actual content. Fat people are successful people? You can't deny the depth of such a premise I guess. Give that man the Nobel prize.

The EmotionalAtheist seems to consider the ideas of an eighteen year old kid -who inevible makes a very weak case for social Darwinism- as dumb, but his equally dumb rant argument against it seems to be considered splendid. Youtube is filled with this kind of pseudo-intellectualism, which comes with the territory I assume, but upholding it as good is a bit strange. At least here.

If people are against social Darwinism, one can wonder what they are doing in Satanism? Do we feel pity for the weak? Do we promote the use of welfare for those not able to take care of themselves? I didn't think so.

We are social Darwinists, but it doesn't necessarily imply we promote a Mad Max society. Still, anyone above twelve could have figured that out.

D.

#42354 - 08/24/10 04:00 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Diavolo]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

Two people argue martial arts. One guy says "Savate is better than Hapkido because I can kick your ass!" The other guy says "Prove it!" They both make asses out of themselves, while the guy with the mobile camera who catches them both on tape goes on to rack up a million viewers on youtube.

Social Darwinism happens. It just so happens that what these guys are discussing isn't it. They are talking about pubescent god complex nonsense that is all form and no content. Who in their right minds would advocate euthanasia of sick people? "Weak" is not an adjective I'd use to describe an ill person or a person unable to bench 200 pounds. The 'weak' we are talking of is something else entirely.

This is neither Social Darwinism or even remotely entertaining in my book. I got three minutes into the video before I could stand it no more.

#42356 - 08/24/10 04:13 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Ok so I watched it. It was a very specific response to a very specific person, who does in fact seem like a retard. Social darwinism as it applies to Satanism isn't even addressed.

Uninteresting to say the least.

#42363 - 08/24/10 05:20 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Dan_Dread]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Indeed. This video was a grudge video and nothing more. The creator was attacking a piss poor example of someone who believes in social darwinism. Whether you like it or not, social darwinism is taking place in many forms at this very moment. Hell, I see it at work on the forums everyday. The Hall of Shame here stands as testament to that. It is just a more scaled down version.

To sum it all up: the video was crap.

#42370 - 08/24/10 08:52 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
MuppetSlayer Offline
Meq - Banned
stranger

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
The creator was attacking a piss poor example of someone who believes in social darwinism.

Although he was just a stupid 18-year-old kid, NaturalSelector89, also known as Sturmgeist89, at least had the virtue of walking the talk...

Another thing in the kid's favor - in the end he made the decision to 'select' himself for euthanasia.
A decision many here will no doubt be pleased with...

—n (slang) (UK)
An ignorant person who has no idea about anything.

#42372 - 08/24/10 09:14 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Wake Offline
pledge

Because I didn't 'agree' with the entire video, I didn't leave a comment stating it was 'good', I merely said it was interesting.
I suppose my standards are lower than the majority here, so I won't so hastily post a 3rd rate video conflicting with the beliefs of many next time.

#42378 - 08/24/10 10:28 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Wake]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

It isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with anyones beliefs.

The video was one person picking apart a simplistic and ill considered world view held by someone who was obviously mentally unstable, and further have nothing to do with actual social darwinism.

Instead of leaving little passive aggressive buthurt comments like the one above, why don't you tell us YOUR views on social darwinism?

#42380 - 08/24/10 10:53 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Dan_Dread]
Wake Offline
pledge

I understand your point.
But I'm sorry my post came off as 'passive aggressive', that was actually not my intention.

Believe it or not I was being honest. My standards ARE lower than most others here. And I'm not rolling over onto my back about this either.
The fact is I'm 18, I'm an average guy from an average family with average friends in an average area etc.
I don't claim to have an over-abundance of intelligence, and becoming incredibly knowledgeable is not my overall goal in life.
Why did I did I just reveal a weakness in my character? I don't believe I did.

Anyway, you can make what sense you like out of that, if any.

#42381 - 08/24/10 10:59 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Wake]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Ok then Mr Average! Why don't you give us an average opinion formulated in your average mind about the content of the video you posted.

What do you see as the place of social darwinism in Satanism, or alternatively, why do you feel it has no place? This isn't about you, it's about your thoughts on this matter. Do you have any?

#42384 - 08/24/10 11:53 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: MuppetSlayer]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Okay, so the kid killed some people. Apparently he did walk his talk. But chances are pretty good that one of the people he killed would have been able to add more to society than this idiot who couldn't even make it into his twenties before he snapped.

And furthermore I would not say that I am "pleased" with what happened but nor will I lose any sleep over it either.

#42400 - 08/25/10 04:54 AM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Dan_Dread]
Wake Offline
pledge

In retrospect, posting this was a stupid idea, seeing as he isn't addressing a valid interpretation of Social Darwinism.

As for my personal beliefs regarding it?
I believe that stupid and/or ignorant people deserve what shitty life awaits them.
My err, 'version' of SD concerns the decisions individuals make.
A person who decides to sit at home all day smoking weed deserve to be forgotten/abandoned by the rest of society.
A person who decides doing a back flip on a motorcycle in his backyard is a good idea, then breaks his spine, deserves no sympathy or outside assistance.
A person who is born blind though, they don't deserve to be left behind, but I don't have to care.
Individuals who do stupid things of their own accord deserve to be discarded as human beings.
But individuals who are born with certain physical or mental weaknesses however don't warrant aggression from me. But, I don't have to care about them and I'm not asking anyone else to care.

That's about it. That's my brief interpretation of Social Darwinism, and please by all means describe yours to me.
I honestly want to know. I wouldn't be here on this forum if I didn't desire the opinions of wiser members.

#42478 - 08/25/10 10:12 PM Re: A look at 'Social Darwinism' [Re: Wake]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
On Social Darwinism....

Social Darwinism has as much to do with Darwin as Astrology has to do with Astophysics.

Survival of the Fittest has to do with genetics that are optimized to survive in a specific ecological niche - the brown mouse can hide more easily in the forest than the white mouse. This does not mean that the brown mouse is 'superior' to the white mouse - only that is possesses a particular phenotypic expression that helps it hide from predators and is more likely to survive long enough to make more brown mice.

So too in the human world, there are cultural traits that are ideally suited for life in a particular human habitrail. The cultural expressions found in the ghetto are ideally suited for this environment. I am sure your average suburban Youtube poster would not last long in the harsh environment of the Urban Jungle. So too, our vastly superior Western culture seems completely unadapted to defeating Muslim terrorists. Again, send suburban-white-guy to live in Africa or the wilds of SW Asia and let me know how that works out for you.

I would argue that before anyone discusses 'Social Darwinism' they study actual evolutionary biology. A Biology 101 course at your local community college would be a good place to start. If this is a bridge too far, try reading Stephen Jay Gould's "Ever Since Darwin" or Richard Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" and perhaps "The Extended Phenotype". Follow these up with Howard Bloom's "The Lucifer Principle". Then, READ the COMPLETE version of Raymond B. Cattell's "Beyondism: Religion from Science". When you have completed this assignment get back to me.

Most people will never have an original idea in their life. Everything they know they learned from someone else. The sad thing is, they don't know enough of other people's ideas to even know how ignorant they really are.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.