Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#42321 - 08/23/10 08:47 PM Old ...
Autodidact Offline

I just had this conversation with my daughter:

She: You know that song 'California Girls'?
Me: Yeah, by David Lee Roth.
She: No, Katie Perry.
Me: Who's Katie Perry?
She: Who's David Lee Roth?

Sigh.

#42322 - 08/23/10 08:53 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Autodidact]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I had an experience like that at a friend's birthday party a few months ago. Some friends and I were talking about how stores were starting to sell Mellow Yellow again. My friends younger neighbors overheard and asked us what Mellow Yellow was. I'm not even 25 yet!

#42326 - 08/23/10 11:01 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Autodidact]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Autodidact

Sigh.

Who are the Beach Boys?

#42339 - 08/24/10 03:02 AM Re: Old ... [Re: Autodidact]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I quite liked the recent videoclip of that song. But that's probably because she was wearing rubber boots and shooting cream out of her breasts..

I have such conversations also a lot. Last one was from "behind blue eyes" by the who. Altough I'm but in my 20ies I at least knew the original composers (and heard it being played in its first carnation), while the other one only knew the Limp Bizkit version (admitted I liked their cover more).

I have nothing against covers being played by more "famous" persons, but al least make it worthwhile to listen and don't assrape it like most rappers and hip-hop niggers do. I was even slightly angered when I first heard the tunes of "prima vera" immediatly followed by some stupid break down, a bass tune like in most techno songs and then some nigger singing about chicks, blingbling, how many cars he had and what a fantasized thug life he lived in.. I could have sworn that if I had a gun at that moment I'd blown the radio to bits and burned the scattered remains. Especially when the commentator called it "a future number one hitlist and the artist a musical genius".

#42344 - 08/24/10 08:15 AM Re: Old ... [Re: Dan_Dread]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
 Originally Posted By: Autodidact

Sigh.

Who are the Beach Boys?

Thanks, Dan, now I feel better. \:\)

#42357 - 08/24/10 04:23 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Autodidact]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
One of the many reasons I've opted out of having children. Not only do I get to cling to my youthful appearance a little bit longer, but if my kids ever tried telling me that Avenged Sevenfold is 'punk', I would have to smack them.

#42358 - 08/24/10 04:37 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Nemesis]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Who is avenged sevenfold?

#42362 - 08/24/10 05:17 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Dan_Dread]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:

A very shitty band.

#42367 - 08/24/10 07:20 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Dan_Dread]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread

Me, if people don't watch out.

This thread makes me smile. I was checking students' ID cards during the exam period recently and kept seeing DOB */*/91. \:o How the Hell can someone old enough to write have been born in 1991??!! It felt so odd. No offence to any young folk here. ;\)
Oh, and Ebay stuff from the 1980's is now "vintage", apparently. When did that happen?

#42382 - 08/24/10 11:08 PM Re: Old ... [Re: felixgarnet]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Just last night I saw the movie "Hot Tub Time Machine." It was actually really good if you like comedies.

Anyway, some guys travel back in time to 1986. When I saw that I was thinking that, that's not much of a travel, since I remember that year like it was only...well, a little while ago.

Also two years ago I went to the "little" town where I spent my teens to mid twenties. For reasons too long to get into, it's the place that I considered my "Home town."

I hardly recognized the place. I walked up and down the streets hoping to see at least one familiar face from my high school days. Not one. That really sucked, but such is life.

#42405 - 08/25/10 08:44 AM Re: Old ... [Re: Asmedious]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
I moved back to the town I graduated high school in and was shocked at how many people are still here. What's really weird is when people you don't even remember call you by your name and then tell you what class you were in with them. The only reason they remembered me was because of some writings that I did in our creative writing classes that were published in the senior "NoteBook" at the end of the year. The one everyone remembered was about teen suicide, mostly because it was a subject no one would talk about, but so many teens were feeling. I still don't remember their names at all. Probably because they weren't part of the small "knit" group I use to run with back then.

One of the funniest conversations I had with my oldest was about a song he was playing on Guitar Hero. I don't remember what song it was, but I heard him say how much he liked it and I said I did too. But I liked the original version better. He looked at me and tried to argue about who first produced it and when. When I showed him on my computer who the artist was and when it was produced originally, he just about croaked. He couldn't believe I was right. Then this funny look came over his face and he said, "That's about the time YOU were in high school and now I'm in high school listening to the same music but by a different group. That's just plain weird Mom!" I smiled and said, "See, told ya. Been there, done that! And you thought I was just messin' with ya."

#42419 - 08/25/10 12:33 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Nyte]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey, Nyte, have you ever seen this list?

I found that to be quite surprising, especially the Led Zep & Metallica entries.

Oh well, it reminds me of that old saying about how good artists borrow and great artists steal or some such thing.

#42425 - 08/25/10 01:36 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Fnord]
Autodidact Offline

Really? Metallica's whole shtick was always doing a song faster and louder than the original. If I remember correctly (and who knows the probability of that), virtually none of the content of their albums was original (at least until they went mainstream).

I didn't care - I liked the music. Kind of ironic, though, that they were such a big, early proponent against music piracy ...

#42426 - 08/25/10 01:40 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Autodidact]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I remember when "St. Anger" first came out. A friend of mine was a BIG fan of Metallica so naturally he bought that album the day it came out. We listened to it once then promptly took it outside and smashed that piece of shit on the sidewalk.

#42430 - 08/25/10 01:57 PM Re: Old ... [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
That was a terrible album.

Other than Garage Inc. I was under the impression that all of their material was their own. Well, there's the morricone ripoff stuff on S&M but, yeah I was surprised.

I was actually a late bloomer with regard to Metallica. Some of my friends were really into it but mostly it was the younger-than-me set who liked it. I was still getting off to Black Sabbath when Metallica came out.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.