Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#42444 - 08/25/10 03:15 PM Re: Old ... [Re: Fnord]
Autodidact Offline

Hm, for some reason I was under the impression that most of their early albums were all covers, but I've started looking and I may have egg on my face. Looks like I might owe the group an apology for posting without checking my facts ...

#42517 - 08/27/10 12:08 AM Re: Old ... [Re: Fnord]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
Hey, Nyte, have you ever seen this list?

I found that to be quite surprising, especially the Led Zep & Metallica entries.

Oh well, it reminds me of that old saying about how good artists borrow and great artists steal or some such thing.

I'm not surprised at all. We had this discussion (something very close to it) when Kid Rock came out with his song All Summer Long. My oldest and his best friend kept saying it was taken from Lynard Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama and I kept telling them that wasn't the only song it sounded like. I ended up playing Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London for them and I thought they were going to flip. Nothing surprises me in the music biz.

It's fun to be able to prove that a lot of music has been done before, especially when this younger generation thinks they've got something "new".

#42520 - 08/27/10 12:39 AM Re: Old ... [Re: Nyte]
Jake999 Offline

One of the things I do every week on Jake's Time Machine is what I call a TIME WARP. I play the original (from 1950 forward... sometimes even those songs are covers of something that came before) and then the same song played by another group at some time later. Sometimes there are some BIG differences in the songs and sometimes the changes are more superficial, but many people are surprise just how long some of the "newer music" has actually been around.

#42538 - 08/27/10 10:36 AM Re: Old ... [Re: Dimitri]
AbrahamOgden Offline
lurker

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
I quite liked the recent videoclip of that song. But that's probably because she was wearing rubber boots and shooting cream out of her breasts..

I had to check out the video after I read the above, thanks Dimitri.

I'm not much of a music guy but I didn't recognize that song as something ever sung by David Lee Roth, let alone the Beach Boys. Is it a remake in name alone, or did she recycle the lyrics too?

#42541 - 08/27/10 11:19 AM Re: Old ... [Re: AbrahamOgden]
Jake999 Offline

California Girls by David Lee Roth (1985) was a remake of the Beach Boys song California Girls (1965).

The song by Katy Perry is California GURLS and is not the same song.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.039 seconds of which 0.021 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.