Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#42644 - 08/30/10 03:01 PM Sensory deprivation and Greater Magic
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA

I have been following the news story concerning the situation of the trapped miners in Chile with great interest.

For those of you who are unaware, thirty three men have been trapped for days, in a mine over two thousand feet below the surface. The rescue effort may take up to four months. A productive outcome arising from this unfortunate tragedy, which may leave the men physcially and mentally scarred for life, will be the data provided to the scientific community.

Natural selection has made man an animal dependent upon his environment for his physical, emotional, and intellectual well being. If you deprive a man of the sensory environment of the external world, the mind initially generates it's own imagery to provide itself stimulation, and (without proper training) eventually falls apart.

The effects of isolation on the mind have long being utilized by man throughout civilization, for religious and initiatory uses ( as in shamanism) as well as a form of torture and the break down of the human mind for manipulation (brainwashing, solitary confinement). While there are those who speculate the Egyptian pyramids could have been used for such a purpose, I am not aware of any hard evidence supporting such claims.
One person in isolation for an extended period of time can go insane, however, when you isolate two or more together, the capacity for hallucinations are lessened, as a consensus of reality is made through socialization. Nevertheless, isolated groups (such as the trapped miners or people on a spacecraft), tend to experience a gradual psychological breakdown.

In order to maintain psychological health in the absence of a sensory rich and demanding external world,isolated groups must come up with and engage in meaningful activities (including recreation) and avoid monotony, as the mind seems to require an ordered environment to give it meaning and definition.

Remove that environment, and the order the mind depends on for self reference, seems to break down.
This is why children do not like to be alone at night and are afraid of the dark, as are some adults. The natural sensory deprivation of darkness prods the mind to generate it's own stimulus, for it to perceive itself
The effects of isolation upon the human mind are a matter which many Satanists are all too familiar with.
In Greater Magic, the Satanist willfully enters a state of isolation to facilitate the expression of the subjective emotional forces and desires, according to his deliberate will in a controlled manner.
These unfortunate miners have been cast into an Intellectual Decompression Chamber, in the form of a small dark cavern, from which they will be unable to leave, perhaps for months. If they are able to initiate meaning where there is none, from within , via the strategies being administered to them, by the rescue effort, they may emerge with the minds intact. If they do not heed the instructions given, and just sit around and do nothing, thus allowing the Monsters of the Id to rise, the overall outcome may not be a positive one.

For those interested in scientific research concerning the effects of isolation on the mind, I suggest the work of Dr.John C. Lilly, particularly The Deep Self. For a magnificent horror sci-fi interpretation of this subject matter, you can view the spellbinding feature film, Altered States. The BBC's Total Isolation(2008) involved a small group who agreed to be indivdually isolated in a nuclear bunker for two days. Their experiences are well worth watching.
Below are two links concerning the Chilean miners and the physical and psychological challenges they face:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/26/how-will-chilean-miners-stay-sane.html
http://www2.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=3447285

And

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=has-anyone-ever-done-scie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_deprivation

and here are some snippets from Total Isolation from the BBC,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux-tUQYUANA

Plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nnekxGE0nM ( *** This is the one to watch! In this snippet, deprived of the objective world, the isolated individuals begin to generate their own world uncontrollably. This is the opposite of Greater Magic, wherein the Satanist consciously and willfully generates a Total Environment for the fulfillment of desires.**)

and watch as they emerge after the two day isolation period,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ewX-4eIomM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJzu6ar3ek

There is a wealth of Lesser and Greater Magic implications to be mined this area, which I leave to those interested to uncover for themselves.

#42648 - 08/30/10 03:40 PM Re: Sensory deprivation and Greater Magic [Re: Duende]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

As soon as they find a way to bring about a reason to spice up their status with magical terms and loose associations, they really do try to sound more interesting...
&"@§6§☼↕ers... But already brought that issue up somewhere else.

Slight update Duende:
 Quote:
The rescue effort may take up to four months. A productive outcome arising from this unfortunate tragedy, which may leave the men physcially and mentally scarred for life, will be the data provided to the scientific community.

From the very latest news they might already be saved in October, which is about 2 months instead of the 4 you mention.
See here.

#42683 - 08/31/10 10:59 AM Re: Sensory deprivation and Greater Magic [Re: Duende]
Autodidact Offline

Great post, Duende. I am just now finishing Robert Wilson's Prometheus Rising, and he mentions isolation in a number of contexts. His explanation for what should be happening to the miners is that they're having their foundational circuit programming eroded or removed (see 8 Circuit Model of Consciousness ).

From that standpoint, I'd be very interested to see how the behavior of these men changes (if at all), both during the subsequent weeks as they are "reimprinted", probably in haphazard way, with "normal human social behaviors"; and during the next few years, to see how their own consciousnesses are changed. Assuming they come out of this alive.

I particularly like your phrase, "generate their own world uncontrollably". I believe the human mind is more powerful than most people realize, and I think that's exactly what happens. Ever notice how most holy men go "off into the wilderness" before coming back with a big revelation?

This, too from Newsweek:

Quote:
She notes that “the families of the miners should just say normal things—'little Johnny got into a scrape at school.' That means more than 'we are thinking of you and you are in our prayers' because there is action, there is life."

Whenever I hear something like 'you are in our prayers', I can't help thinking that people say that to make themselves feel better.

I wonder if there's a camera down there... Everybody would flip at the suggestion, I suppose, but it would be very interesting. Fox could turn it into a new series: "Survivor: Isolation" <wicked grin>

#42689 - 08/31/10 06:45 PM Re: Sensory deprivation and Greater Magic [Re: Duende]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Since I was young I have used meditation and limited variations of sensory deprivation.

Four months alone with my mind, where do I sign up? On the other hand four months locked in tight quarters with others I might kill somebody.

~T~

#42693 - 08/31/10 10:21 PM Re: Sensory deprivation and Greater Magic [Re: Autodidact]
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA
 Originally Posted By: Autodidact
Great post, Duende. I am just now finishing Robert Wilson's Prometheus Rising, and he mentions isolation in a number of contexts. His explanation for what should be happening to the miners is that they're having their foundational circuit programming eroded or removed (see 8 Circuit Model of Consciousness ).

From that standpoint, I'd be very interested to see how the behavior of these men changes (if at all), both during the subsequent weeks as they are "reimprinted", probably in haphazard way, with "normal human social behaviors"; and during the next few years, to see how their own consciousnesses are changed. Assuming they come out of this alive.

I particularly like your phrase, "generate their own world uncontrollably". I believe the human mind is more powerful than most people realize, and I think that's exactly what happens. Ever notice how most holy men go "off into the wilderness" before coming back with a big revelation?

This, too from Newsweek:

Quote:
She notes that “the families of the miners should just say normal things—'little Johnny got into a scrape at school.' That means more than 'we are thinking of you and you are in our prayers' because there is action, there is life."

Whenever I hear something like 'you are in our prayers', I can't help thinking that people say that to make themselves feel better.

I wonder if there's a camera down there... Everybody would flip at the suggestion, I suppose, but it would be very interesting. Fox could turn it into a new series: "Survivor: Isolation" <wicked grin>

I have a copy of Prometheus Rising lying around but never got to reading it, now looks like a good time to put it on my read-me-next pile.
Those holy men who go "off into the wilderness" are separating themselves from their every day world, to achieve a state of isolation, to allow some "vision" to manifest. Sometimes they use caves to achieve this. Some use drugs to enhance the experience. Once the "initiation" is complete, many return to a society that provides a positive context for the experience.
It sure will be interesting to see how miners emerge from their odyssey. There is a chance that some of these miners are simply not going to do the prescribed exercises, take the prescribed antidepressants, play card games at a certain time, etc. Some may not really understand why they need to follow such procedures and underestimate the power of their subconscious minds to open the gates of hell.

They do seem to have access to a camera,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RquT9thZ34o

Sure seems like they are in good spirits for now...

#42717 - 09/01/10 04:31 PM Re: Sensory deprivation and Greater Magic [Re: Duende]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Duende
There is a chance that some of these miners are simply not going to do the prescribed exercises, take the prescribed antidepressants, play card games at a certain time, etc. Some may not really understand why they need to follow such procedures and underestimate the power of their subconscious minds to open the gates of hell.

You talk of this like it can only be a bad thing. No doubt all will come out changed by this experience if they survive.

The weak minded will suffer hardest the strong minded will become a bit stronger.

Prescribed antidepressants, card games, exercises seriously? From what I read they will need to help clear around two tons of falling material once the drilling starts. I would imagine this would make their living area smaller by the day. This is where things will get interesting for them.

Reality closing in on them you might say.

~T~

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.