Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#43087 - 09/17/10 06:29 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Clicks]
Oxus Offline

Wow, how did I miss this thread??
I've made my living as a guitarist for 35 years (I'm 49) and studied/lived with Robert Fripp, along with master classes with dozens of great musicians in NYC and around the country.

I love listening to 'guitar' period! LOL!!
So many colors and textures and realities. It is grand World that guitarists live in.

The guitarists that blow my mind repeatedly and without fail are John McLaughlin & Robert Fripp.

I play a lot of fretless these days and bend towards ancient musics blended with modern grooves (like Arabic Maqam with NIN)
If you'd like to listen to what I'm doing these days please visit
my site - http://www.xeperaum.net

**great thread (nice to get away from all the heavy talk here for a change) let's keep talking guitar, shall we?

oXuS

#43093 - 09/18/10 02:53 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Good lord, all of this technical sophistication; I am in awe!

Well, I go all the way back to the Ventures, who, bless their grey hair, are still kicking guitar ass today.

#43096 - 09/18/10 04:13 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: ]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
Billy Gibbons was already mentioned so here are some guys who weren't (I think).

These are some of my influences as a guitarist.

Angus Young - Between him and his brother, they created some of the most memorable and rockin' riffs ever heard. Angus might not be technically proficient, but he plays from the heart. That's all that matters.

Ace Frehley - Again, not a virtuoso. Very mediocre. BUT! Listen to any classic KISS song and you can hum along to all of the guitar solos. That says a lot.

Chuck Berry - The grandfather of rock guitar. Need I say more?

Ted Nugent - I love this guy not only for his guitar playing but also for his in-your-face attitude.

Steve Stevens - A very good guitar player. I love his use of things like toy ray guns to get some of his sounds.

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - He plays with such warmth and melody I could just listen to him play scales.

Gary Moore - He can be a little over the top for me sometimes and overplay. But when he holds back and just goes for a simple melody, he can get you choked up.

George Benson - He's so smooth and melodic. He makes what he does look easy. That's how good he is.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - He was a monster bluesman. Since he died, there hasn't been a blues guitarist to match him. That's my opinion, anyway.

Joe Satriani - He's just plain nuts. Absolutely fantastic. I believe he really is an alien, lol

Lindsey Buckingham - A very underrated guitarist. If you want to learn fingerpicking, you couldn't ask for a better teacher. He also has a great ear for melody.

Brian Setzer - Probably the best at what he does. A great guitarist. He's one of the few guys who can sing and play a solo at the same time.

I didn't include links to their work because each guy has a such a huge catalog.

#43098 - 09/19/10 01:23 AM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Knievel74]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Knievel74
Stevie Ray Vaughan - He was a monster bluesman. Since he died, there hasn't been a blues guitarist to match him. That's my opinion, anyway.

A great moment when SRV and Dick Dale ("King of the Surf Guitar") got together for "Pipeline"!

#43099 - 09/19/10 01:24 AM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Clicks]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I very much approve of Dave Matthews and the Primus. Seriously really great bands both of them. Intersting jump to see from Rammstien to Bohemoth to.. Jewel.

I have always been rather partial to Clapton myself.

And I have to throw my little brother down here. Sounds kind of goofy but he is a rather excellent player himself. Hopefully, he'll go far with his endeavors.

#43102 - 09/19/10 05:58 AM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Ok, here's one I haven't heard named on here, Andy McKee. I've watched most of his videos and am blown away at the feel he can give guitar playing. Hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

#43105 - 09/19/10 07:48 AM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I have a very varied taste in music. Everything from Classical, to blues, to death metal, to crust punk, to folk, to trance to do whop to jazz.

And I totally forgot about Andy Mckee. He's been a favorite for a while. Also Tim Reynolds. I mentioned him with Dave Matthews, but I should have given him a spot on my top 10 (or rather 12).

A few more honorable mentions:

Karl Sanders of Nile
Akira Yamaoka (Writes the Silent Hill soundtracks)
Paolo Pieri of Malfeitor(Ita)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJe397rS8tI
I've been infatuated with that song for a couple months now.

#43112 - 09/19/10 12:39 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Oxus Offline

SRV and the late great Albert King doing Stevie's Pride and Joy after Albert gives him a little 'pep' talk about soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPS4dyk6v7Q

#43113 - 09/19/10 01:13 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Clicks]
Nyte Offline

There's so much hidden talent in the guitar industry. Some never heard of, like McKee, unless you stumble onto the talent by accident, like I did. Another "off the trail" talent like Antonio Forcion. Then there are guitar players like Fogerty and Folgerberg that can make a song memerable without really rippin' up on the guitar.

I've seen a lot of talent in many of the concerts I've been to. Eddie Van Halen was always one of my favorites because when the man plays you know he believes in what he's playing. Another that was great to watch front stage was Michael Monarch of Steppenwolf.

One that stands out is the lead guitarist for TSO, Al Petrelli. Just watching him play was incredible, especially when Dave Mathews came out on stage and jammed with them New Years eve just 3 years ago (almost 4 now), in Cleveland Ohio.

Like you Clicks, my range in listening music really varies and the guitar players make a big difference in what I do enjoy, for the most part. When I'm in a mood to work on something, my music choices reflect that mood.

#43114 - 09/19/10 01:51 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Jake999]
Nyte Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Over the past 60+ years, I've heard guitar virtuosos of every type... I have to admit that some of the new JUST HIT A STRING STUPID guitarists don't do much to me, but then, I've seen "The Shaman (Carlos Santana)" play up close and personal... and Clapton when he was in Cream, etc.

When people argue over who's the guitar MASTER, I'm always reminded of a little joke:

Pete Townshend of the The Who and Andreas Segovia were being interviewed on who was the best guitar player. Maestro Sevgovia simply picked up his guitar and launched into a brilliantly executed Flamenco piece, his hands flying over the strings and nursing the most beautiful of notes with his fretwork. Moments later, he quietly and reverently rested his guitar in its case. The audience, knowing that this was a once in a lifetime virtuoso performance, applauded and cheered BRAVO!

Pete Townshend then picked up his guitard and, in his signature windmill, struck one LOUD, nerve shattering note, took a drag off of his cigarette and put his guitar down on the floor. The crowd looked shocked, but appreciative, as the interviewer asked, "Mr. Townshend... sir... I've seen Maestro Segovia's presentation, and indeed I've seen yours here today. He played a thousand beautiful notes to your one. How can you explain the vast differences in style?"

Townshend took a drag off of his cigarette and whimsically blew smoke rings into the air. He then looked at the interviewer and said, "Obviously, he's still looking for it, and I know where it's at."

I would love to see Santana play live. I've got some of his cds and I'd be willing to bet watching him is like watching poetry in motion. I don't think I'd even care if the rest of the band played with him, to be very honest.

I gotta say, so far I don't think there's been any arguing, which is a nice change. Lots of great talent given their due though and the range is, so far, well varied.

#43116 - 09/19/10 05:25 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Nyte]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
Don't forget Michael Angelo Batio. Mostly because he's the only guy I've seen that plays a dual guitar solo... by himself. Even if his shows are pretty much nothing but "hey look I can play two guitars at once" I'm still amazed how he does this.
On top of that I think he's the fastest guitar player I've ever heard. Although I honestly don't like much of his music he's still quite a guitar god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutyA12z3Ok
He starts playing both necks about one minute in.

Edited by TV is God (09/19/10 05:27 PM)

#43132 - 09/20/10 04:07 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: ]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I most definitely lack the acumen and/or sophistication to tell which guitarist is best of all, but I know what I like.

I grew up listening to my dad's favorite, Chet Atkins who I appreciate for pure complexity in his playing.

The first guitarist I remember being blown away by was Mason Williams (of Smothers Brothers fame). There is a pure guitar version of Classical Gas out there somewhere though evidently not on youtube. HERE is the guitar + orchestra version which, to me, isn't nearly as powerful... but you'll get the idea.

Ted Nugent, back in the day, was an awesome force on the axe. In fact, his song Stranglehold is one of my personal favorite guitar pieces. Ted's still going strong, HERE is Stranglehold circa 2008. In concert, Ted is all about jamming out.

Another I've always loved is Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits. There is some great guitar work in nearly all of their songs but Sultans of Swing is probably the most illustrative example (though the solo is cut off in this video).

Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake & Palmer was fantastic in a live show I saw way back when. It was much like this video, Greg on a stool doing what he's best at.

For straight out tugging at my heart strings I have to go with David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. There's something very sad about his style but I just love it. Pink Floyd is most definitely in my top 10 for the combination of Gilmour's guitar & Waters' lyrics. great stuff.

I can't fail to mention Angus Young of AC/DC. Unsophisticated, simple and in your face. Fine tuning not necessary. Young is just balls out, I love his stuff.

Alvin Lee of Ten Years After should probably get a mention on my list. When I'd Love to Change the World came out, there wasn't anything quite like it out there. If you listen to the song you'll hear the guitar progressively becoming more and more prominent. Anyway, great stuff. is he a 'hero'? maybe not, but an an influence on other heroes to be certain.

Eddie Van Halen, obviously, is unrivaled in his pioneering of the 'tapping' style of guitar solo. Here's an example... I've seen Van Halen live probably 5 or 6 times, all amazing shows and everyone was always most looking forward to EVH's solo. No one sounds like him.

I also love Dickey Betts from The Allman Brothers band. His style is kind of laid back but often times it just sounds perfect to me (back yard by the pool with a cold beer).

Man, I'm burning too much time on this. I could go on for days. I love Iommi, Randy Rhodes (who I saw right before he died), Joe Walsh, Alex Lifeson (Rush) and about a gazillion others.

I've got NO talent for music but there is so much of it that I love.

#43133 - 09/20/10 06:31 PM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Fnord]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Some more I love:

1. Steve Cropper - because he is the best. Woo Hoo!

2. Mississippi John Hurt - His music is some of the most beautiful I have heard. The recordings I have are from the period when he was rediscovered. Beautiful intimate guitarist.

3. Scotty Moore - love that bare bones Sun sound.

4. Buddy Guy.

5. George Harrison - he should have been in my first list. Understated but indispensable.

6. Robert Johnson.

7. Elmore James - Love that goddamned blues guitar. Would include Muddy Waters here. Waters played a mean guitar as well.

#43146 - 09/22/10 12:32 AM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: ]
Nyte Offline

Wow, the lists just keep growing and growing. Fnord, I'm with you on not being able to strum a chord, but I know what I like and good guitar playing is one of them. There's something about listening to someone that can really play a guitar. I also saw Eddie several times (I lost track after 7) during the Sammy Hagar era of Van Halen.

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Slash, formally of Guns and Roses, now with Velvet Revolver. He's got some great talent and the unique solos he seems to fit into just about every song he plays makes him stand out. Or at least I would have thought.

#43153 - 09/22/10 05:05 AM Re: Guitar Heroes! [Re: Nyte]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I don't think I like anything I've ever heard slash play. He doesn't have a lot of technical talent, which is fine (I mean I had Richard from Rammstein on my list), but it also really doesn't sound like he has a lot of emotion in or passion in his music. It's more or less just shit that sounds 'cool.'

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.