Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#42943 - 09/11/10 02:19 PM Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
Apparently, Pastor Terry Jones lost his nerve and gave in to pressure: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39113743

This is just one more victory for Islam and it shows that Americans are truly weak.

#42944 - 09/11/10 03:30 PM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Knievel74]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: Knievel74
Apparently, Pastor Terry Jones lost his nerve and gave in to pressure: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39113743

This is just one more victory for Islam and it shows that Americans are truly weak.

LOL! I hope you meant this is a sarcastic quip, Knievel. What it means is not that Americans are "weak" but that occasionally, just occasionally, one of their more insane pastors realizes that he's a pathetic prick who'd be better off burning his own books and refraining from adding fuel to a fire that is already hot enough, thank you.

#42946 - 09/11/10 03:40 PM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Knievel74]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I figured he would chicken out. Just another typical preacher. All preach, no action. He would have been better off to start a kind of a movement encouraging individuals all over the country who saw things his way, to burn ONE Kuran in the privacy of their own homes, and then to send testimonials and pehaps a few pictures of the flaming book to his website.

Come to think of it...I just happen to have a copy somewhere that I don't need. ;\)

Edited by Asmedious (09/11/10 03:41 PM)

#42953 - 09/11/10 06:51 PM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Knievel74]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Lost his nerve, gave into pressure? You are talking about a preacher a man of god.

I bet he asked himself What Would Jesus Do?

One less fanatic and the way I see it, the less fanatics the better no matter what path they walk.

~T~

#42955 - 09/11/10 08:32 PM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Knievel74]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
As a Priest in Kentucky in 1971, I debated, interviewed, & panel-discussed with Christians regularly. Once, in Bowling Green I think it was, a minister/pastor tore a copy of the Satanic Bible to shreds and asked me what I thought of that. I said, "That book costs 95 [which it did back then], and Anton LaVey tells me he gets 10 royalty for each copy sold. You've just made him another dime, because whoever was going to read that one will now have to buy another."

I don't know what he was expecting to hear, but that wasn't it.

A few days ago I was asked what I thought about the Florida Koran-burning and NYC mosque-building gigs. I said that I think that all religions which project sanctification into physical things, whether books, buildings, locations, or relics, are missing the essential point: that religious awareness, conviction, dedication is properly a state of the soul; anything less weakens and cheapens it. For a Christian to think that he is harming Islam by destroying one of its books makes no more sense than a Muslim feeling that Islam has been harmed because someone burns one of its books. The state of being of a true Christian or Muslim should be so purified that nothing so vulgar could disturb it in the least.

This can't help but remind me of the example of Dumbo's feather that I cited in Black Magic. In order to encourage Dumbo to fly, Timothy the mouse gave him a "magic feather" to hold in his trunk. During one flight Dumbo lost the feather and started to fall, whereupon Timothy told him that there was no magic in the feather, and Dumbo flapped his ears and regained altitude. Our experience with ritual chambers and implements is similar; they are "training wheels" to accustom us to Black Magic. Once we assimilate it, such things are no longer essential, though we may enjoy them for sentimental or symbolic value.

Indeed we have taken this type of question to a much more rarified level in 600C with the discussion about the reality, [non]nature, and significance of Set/"Satan". If this is contextualized in an elementary, primitive sense, individuals can [and do] object that "you're just worshipping an external God/god under another name". It takes a bit more effort & acumen to apprehend Set/"Satan" as a "general principle" (neter/Form) of which each isolate, unique consciousness is a "particularization". Thus within the "Satanism" idiom the individual Satanist and Satan are neither wholly the same nor wholly different.

But I suppose all of this would be a little difficult for either the pastor in Florida or the Muslim in NYC to grok.

#42967 - 09/12/10 03:37 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Knievel74]
Happy Birthday Big Whitey Offline
lurker

Loc: Louisiana

Those people who wanted to burn Quran's yesterday tried to make it out to be some way of "getting back" at what they perceived happened on September 11th 2001. And what they are proposing is so completely asinine in nature, that it's a fucking shame.

What purpose would that have served? None, zero. Burning a Quran isn't hurting those who were behind 9/11. If you wanted to burn something to send a message of your displeasure to those responsible for what happened, then the proper document to be set a blaze if you wanted to go that route, would be in fact the United States Constitution.

Burning the Quran in response to 9/11 would be the equivalent of burning the Switzerland flag for Nazi concentration camps during World War 2.

#42969 - 09/12/10 04:18 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Big Whitey]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
Those people who wanted to burn Quran's yesterday tried to make it out to be some way of "getting back" at what they perceived happened on September 11th 2001.

What do you mean "what they perceived happened on September 11th 2001"? You make it sounds as if this church has some misconceptions about what happened on 9/11 and therefore their plans to burn the Qur'an (which you think is meant to be retributive for 9/11) are "wrong".

Quote:
And what they are proposing is so completely asinine in nature, that it's a fucking shame.

What purpose would that have served? None, zero. Burning a Quran isn't hurting those who were behind 9/11. If you wanted to burn something to send a message of your displeasure to those responsible for what happened, then the proper document to be set a blaze if you wanted to go that route, would be in fact the United States Constitution.

I wouldn't call the proposed book burning "asinine" and they do serve a purpose. I would be surprised if the burnings are meant to be retribution for the attacks of September 11th and would be further surprised if the people who were planning to do it thought they were "hurting those who were behind 9/11".

No - I think it is meant merely to convey a hatred for and discontent with Islamic extremism. I see it as a sign that, though there still are many who will back down and cower at the prospect of depicting their prophet, let alone burning their holy book, some will not be so easily scared. Basically, it is a big "FUCK YOU" to the schoolyard bully.

I suppose there is also an element of the "my God is better than your God" mentality but I will let that slide for now.

Then again, the plans were ultimately scrapped. But, I did see a video today of a lone man burning a copy of Islam's sacred text near Ground Zero.

Quote:
Burning the Quran in response to 9/11 would be the equivalent of burning the Switzerland flag for Nazi concentration camps during World War 2.

How so?

#42971 - 09/12/10 04:27 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Big Whitey]
Oxus Offline

I would think burning an al-Qaeda member might send a better message.
#42973 - 09/12/10 05:31 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
lurker

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
What do you mean "what they perceived happened on September 11th 2001"? You make it sounds as if this church has some misconceptions about what happened on 9/11 and therefore their plans to burn the Qur'an (which you think is meant to be retributive for 9/11) are "wrong".

They perceived 9/11 being caused by Islamic Terrorist. So yes, I believe that they (the church) and others who still think that's who is/was responsible for it are incorrect.

Quote:
Basically, it is a big "FUCK YOU" to the schoolyard bully.

I understand your point, however, it still would have been futile.

Quote:

Quote:
How so?

Because I believe the attacks on 9/11/01 were caused by entities within the government of the United States of America.

Terrorist, sure enough. Yet, not Islamic terrorist as the world was lead to believe.

Believe me, I wish it weren't true. I wish the events on 9/11 had never taken place, but since it did I wish it would have be done by Islamic Terrorist.

But It wasn't.

I am not out to change anyones opinion...we all deal with tragic horrible things differently, if people still want to think it was done by Islamic Terrorist...hey, that's fine by me.

I just don't believe it personally.

So it is my belief that Islamic Terrorist had as much to do with 9/11 as the Swiss did with concentration camps in WW2.

Which was absolutely nothing.

#42976 - 09/12/10 05:48 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Big Whitey]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
Big Whitey. So you are basicly saying that Islamic terrorists did not hijack aircraft and fly into the towers? Um, what? I am a bit lost. Was that government agents who flew into the towers then?
#42977 - 09/12/10 05:59 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Lamar]
lurker

Originally Posted By: Lamar
Big Whitey. So you are basicly saying that Islamic terrorists did not hijack aircraft and fly into the towers?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Quote:
Um, what? I am a bit lost.

No problem, it happens.

Quote:
Was that government agents who flew into the towers then?

LOL, that was cute.

#42979 - 09/12/10 06:11 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Big Whitey]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
Can you back up your statement with some sort of evidence? How did you come to the conclusion that our own government was behind it? What reason do you have to believe that?
#42980 - 09/12/10 06:42 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Lamar]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Ok; let's not get carried away deep into conspiracy county.
If one wishes to discuss such topics; creating another thread would be appropriate.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#42981 - 09/12/10 06:57 AM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Woland]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Amen to that.

To get the tracks back on topic.

I am actually disappointed the preacher didn't do it. Yes, it might be regarded as yet another lunatic provoking and persuading other people in an act of lunacy, still a disappointment he didn't burn it.

Islam on itself, and almost any other religion, is best provoked by attacking things they value. The Qu'ran burning would have probably been a strong sign towards the Islam culture to "fuck off" and the West isn't to be messed around with. While the pastor might have been another idiot, I was in support of his idea, and I call him a coward for cancelling the whole thing.

Oh and Big Whitey;
I'm not going to get in the 9/11 debunk bickering here with you. But I suggest reading this:
http://forums.randi.org/local_links.php?catid=18

Edited by Dimitri (09/12/10 07:01 AM)

#42990 - 09/12/10 01:33 PM Re: Florida Pastor officially cancels Quran burning [Re: Lamar]
lurker

Originally Posted By: Lamar
Can you back up your statement with some sort of evidence? How did you come to the conclusion that our own government was behind it? What reason do you have to believe that?

I would not mind explaining my conclusion if another thread was created regarding this specific issue as Woland suggested.

And be certain to check your inbox.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.