Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4302 - 02/18/08 12:11 AM New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
New laws being introduced into South Australian Parliment have me most concerned about the future of the State.

This is what the State Government's proposed anti-bikie laws will allow:

POLICE Commissioner Mal Hyde can apply to Attorney-General Michael Atkinson to have bikie gangs declared as illegal organisations.
ANYONE who makes contact with a bikie or a bikie gang at least six times a year will face five years in jail. This can include personal meetings, emails, text messages, faxes or phone calls.

BIKIES and their associates can be issued with control orders banning them from having contact with specified people.

ANYONE who has a criminal record who has contact with someone else with a criminal record at least six times a year will face five years in jail.

ANY police intelligence used to issue control orders against bikies or anyone associating with them must remain secret.

More stories Here.

#4332 - 02/19/08 03:04 AM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
I saw this shit last week - I guess I will not be moving to West Beach any time soon (...and my wife and I were thinking about it). So the city of churches is going all retarded-right again - aren't they meant to be Labor over there?

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#4334 - 02/19/08 04:54 AM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: Mercury_Templar]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Well to be honest MT, Rann has been bringing in terribly freedom snatching laws for most of his reign as Premiere. Most of it in the name of getting rid of Motorcycle Clubs or fighting crime.

Nothing has been acheived by these laws though, except hurting those that don't break the law. I could go on and on about it, but I'm sure you're aware of most of them.

I'm surprised that the unions haven't jumped on this flat out. I mean, next thing they will be making illegal to be associated with a union official or something just as stupid.

I've been very unimpressed with all the governments SA has had since the State Bank debacle. Both sides have been crappy. I've never voted for Rann, but unfortunatley someone out ther likes him.

i really can't see how these laws are going to get through. I mean to say. How about people that work, live or drink in the same pub as said 'bikers'? How on earth are they going to enforce them?

Avatar has charged a tonne of bikers, about 95% of whom have gotten off.

One of the funniest things I've read lately was that the 'Longriders' Christian MC had their headquarters raided last week after the 'dob in a biker' night on crime stoppers.

If I didn't love my family so much I would be out of here in a second too.

Zeph

#4353 - 02/20/08 12:18 AM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
I can see both good and ban coming out of that scenario. What happens if someone who has got a previous record - not necessarily gang-related - but converses with someone they feel is a friend, but does not realise he/she is a member of one of these Bikie Gangs?

#4361 - 02/20/08 05:55 AM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: DaVinci]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

I can see absolutely no good at all coming about of these ridiculous laws.

You don't have to be a bikie member to have a record, so two people with records are married, what happens then?

Out of interest, what good can you see coming out of them?

#4380 - 02/20/08 04:46 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Further to my case about these laws I have provided a link to the actual bill they are proposing.

What if, at a latter date, they decide to ammend it to include, unionists, satanists or you?

#4389 - 02/20/08 08:20 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DaVinci Offline

Quote:
You don't have to be a bikie member to have a record, so two people with records are married, what happens then?

Exactly.

Quote:
Out of interest, what good can you see coming out of them?

To be honest, I think the only good thing to come out of this Law is just a heavier crack-down on crime within the ranks of gangs such as The Rebels, The Jokers, The Phoenix, etc. People might be more discouraged from conversing with known members. Then again, that might be just wishful thinking on my behalf. So long as these gangs stay away from the ADF I'll be happy.

#4413 - 02/21/08 12:48 AM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: DaVinci]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they want you to think. Since when should coversing with 'anybody' be a crime. They are trying to get these laws through on the fact that most people are scared of, or actively against bikies. That will make people apethetic enough to get them passed and then wammo, suddenly it's illegal to 'converse' with a whole bunch of people.

Not only that, but it totally fails to recognize that even if they do manage to slow down crime within the ranks of 'bikie' gangs, they will only be giving more power to other 'gangs'.

Why are they not targeting the asian or lebanese crime gangs? Me thinks it is because Rann has a personal vendetta against bike clubs. I wonder what they actually did to him? I don't for one minute beleive that it is for the welfare and safety of our community.

Zeph

#4436 - 02/21/08 10:06 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
This might be down to past experience with Bike gangs of the past. People often form a negative association with things that they've had a bad experience with in the past.

Either that, or Rann is jealous that he can't join in because he's not cool enough \:D

Don't mind me. I'm just adding a possible explanation with a bit of bad humour at the end

But yeah, I agree that it's going to alienate a lot of people who ride bikes themselves.

Edited by DistroyA (02/21/08 10:09 PM)

#5978 - 03/20/08 04:23 AM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: DistroyA]
morgoth Offline
stranger

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Targeting the Asians and the Lebenese for example, unfortunately would be seen by the wider community as having racial undertones, and no politician in this politicaly correct world that we now live, would want to be labelled a racist.
Biker gangs are predominantly Anglo-Saxon, so there for, not a problem.
Anyway most Police jurisdictions have their own Gang enforcement teams targeting ethnic gangs. But this particular law in question to me sounds as though it will become a legal nightmare, especially when the Civil Libs get hold of it.
Rann sounds a lot like His Majesty Alan Carpenter

#8435 - 05/06/08 06:37 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: morgoth]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Hey,

Just an update for any interested. I have been actively protesting this 'bill' and have written letters to members or parliment and distributed pamphlets.

So as yet, it hasn't been passed, there are some 100 amendmants being made to this legislation, so I thought I'd post a link to a youtube version of a magazine news article about it, organised by our local political bike group, the MRA.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqmHo-d0gYA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqmHo-d0gYA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And below the link to a pamphlet, front and back that has some suggestions on things you can DO to help the cause (primarily for those within Australia).

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/vanman37/FlyerPage1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/vanman37/FlyerPage2.jpg

Thanks,

Zeph

PS to Mods, could someone please embed this vid for me? Thanks

Edited by ZephyrGirl (05/06/08 06:40 PM)

#8447 - 05/06/08 08:12 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Meq Offline
Banned

#8452 - 05/06/08 11:18 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: Meq]
Slaya Offline
stranger

That bill is stupid. I know it benefits some of the community by preventing everyday crimes from happening, but this is a bit extreme. What happened to Australia being a free country, the right to say what we like and to whomever we like?
#8486 - 05/07/08 07:48 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: Slaya]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

I doesn't prevent everyday crimes from happening. Alot of our 'everyday' crimes are not performed by 'gangs' but rather 'individuals'.

Sorry to say this passed in the legistlative council last night and will probably be coming into effect around 1st July.

Things were pushed through after some meatheads decided to have a shootout between a car and some people on foot, in a very popular 'restaurant strip', namely Gouger St on the weekend. Over 15 shots were fired in this very public place, but fortunately none of the public was hurt.

Of course the police and the pollies named a certain OMC as the culprits (before any arrests were even made) and through went he legislation.

That's not to say it's going to work for them. If I remember rightly Canada has something similar, that hasn't done much to help them with thier 'gang' problems.

Zeph

#8489 - 05/07/08 09:37 PM Re: New laws in Adelaide. Gaol for association [Re: ZephyrGirl]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Greatt, some dickhead has come in and taken over my homeland. So much for the freedom that I loved in Australia. I suppose it always has to happen eventually.

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but here in Quebec there are no laws against gangs or bikers. My father is a higher figure in The Hell's Angels; and they are only subject to law when actually commiting crimes. Of course the group is quite secretive and DOES control much of the territory here in relation to drugs and many other illegal activities. They are very powerfull here and are well known, but the government hasn't done anything against them. Either because they are afraid of them (there nmbers are said to be in the hundreds) or because they don't commit HUGE acts of crime. They keep to themselves and deal out there business in the shadows. In this area anyway...

~~Snow~~.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.