Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#43168 - 09/24/10 09:26 AM Has any of you tried P90X workout?
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Got lazy and fat over the summer. Went from about 160 pounds up to my sloth weight of almost 200lbs.

I have a diet and exercise program that works for me everytime, but I just didn't feel like doing it. (Eating diet dinners like "Smart Ones" by Weight Watchers, and using my nordic track daily for at least a half an hour).

So I went looking for something else. I saw an info-mercial on late night TV and decided to look into it. Seems that everyone who does the program and sticks with it absolutely loves it. There are some incredible resulst posted on Youtube. So I ordered it.

Wondering if any of you have any experience with this program.

P90X click here for site.

#43175 - 09/24/10 05:36 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Asmedious]
Tuesday Offline
lurker

Loc: Ohio
My Son uses portions of the workout for abs at home along with workouts at a local health club. He also does similar intensity routines with His trainers coordinated by His coaching staff. It apparently works. Flat knocks a baseball into next week and can throw consistent knock You the fuck down speeds if You suffer attention deficit while throwing.
I believe those high intensity workout programs are the difference between achieving Your goals or just going through the motions.
My girlfriends husband does the full program as advertised and is ripped according to Her. He is a medical professional with physical demands also.
It makes You better I would say at what ever You do.

#44125 - 11/16/10 06:52 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Tuesday]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
From what I hear and have seen it is a difficult program to follow depending on how your diet and routine already is. I tried to follow along with someone that was doing it and I am of relative good health myself and it was difficult. But I have heard that if you can get through it the results are highly acceptable.

Good luck!

#44127 - 11/16/10 07:31 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
The only way to lose weight is to starve. Sorry.

Exercise will burn calories but it will often simply make you more hungry. I am a big believer in exercise but not for weight loss. You must restrict your calories. I can stave you on a sick of butter.

A pound of body fat contains about 3500 calories. Most people need about 1800 to 2200 calories per day to maintain their current weight. A stick of butter has about 800 calories. Assuming you need 2200 calories per day, and I feed you one stick of butter a day, at the end of one month you will have lost about 3 pounds. Of course, you would also be in ketosis several other interesting things would start to happen. Among others, you will start lose your sense of taste and food will seem less interesting. By the way, I don't recommend this unless you really know what you are doing.

The point is, there is no substitute for caloric restriction.

Most exercise regimes are simply not that intense and most people do not have the motivation to do the really effective work outs on their own. In general, most workouts in the 20-60 minute range will only burn about 300-500 calories and you will only do them about 3-5 times a week. The key to exercise is intensity and duration. One thing I recommend to people is BJJ. It is quite popular right now and a decent school is fairly easy to find. 'Rolling' (fighting each other to the point of submission) is required and is quite safe. Unlike traditional workouts you really can't just quit. You are fighting a live opponent and this should give you more than enough motivation to work yourself to the limit.

I would also recommend you read up on glycemic index - how carbohydrates affect metabolism. One thing you can do, right now, today, is take white flour and sugar out of your diet. That alone will start you on the right track.

#44129 - 11/16/10 08:16 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Fist]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
My sister does this shit called Insanity, and it's pretty goddamn insane! It's all kinds of fucked up push ups and punches and kicks and you only have like 30 seconds for a break. It's insanity.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

I myself would kind of like to try P90X even though I weigh like 110 pounds. Get some muscle going on.

#44130 - 11/16/10 08:45 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Lamar]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If you want to take weight off by eating less/fewer calories, just drink more water. I think I soapboxed this sometime back here, but can't find the thread.

Basically your body wants more water than you're probably giving it, so if it can't make you thirsty enough, it makes you hungry so that it can suck the water out of the food. Keep yourself sloshing and your appetite will lessen all by itself.

#44145 - 11/17/10 08:32 AM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
The P90X, is not a weight reduction program. It's a hardcore workout. The program also includes a healthy nutrition regiment. It does not cut calories or fat from a diet, but instead includes a healthy amount of fats, carbs etc. It has sections for several different body types and goes by peoples weight.
From what I can tell the intent is to build a healthy amount of muscle while reducing ACCESS fat.
The program is not a "Quick fix," diet thing. Eat includes 12 CDs video's including routines for different parts of the body, stretching, abdominal, back, arms, yoga and cardio.
Each day one is supposed to do one or two programs each day of the week. After the third week is a week of "rest," where the person can either not do any of the disks or simply stick to the slower portion of the program.

I haven't started it yet, because I still need to aquire some equipment for it, and my work hours (overnight shift) has really screwed with my general life style for the moment.

#44152 - 11/17/10 01:07 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Asmedious]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
Diets don't work. They never have.

I haven't tried the PX90 workout but I know someone who does and he swears by it. I workout with kettlebells. If you want a great workout that combines cardio with strength training, you can't beat it. It doesn't bulk you up, it slims you down and gets you lean. It focuses on your body's core.

#44173 - 11/17/10 11:05 PM Re: Has any of you tried P90X workout? [Re: Knievel74]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I would say save your money.

Go to crossfit.com for free. They have a 'Getting Started' section. Chinese proverb - "The journey of a thousand leagues begins with the first step."

Aquino brings up a good point, drink water. At least a gallon a day if you are training. Two gallons a day if you are really training. Make sure to keep your electrolytes up.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.