Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#43189 - 09/25/10 12:19 PM Primal eating
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I debated posting about this here, but I thought that some members might take an interest in eating to gain strength and better health.

I've never followed a diet before, because nearly all of them are short-term, lose-weight-then-start-eating-like-crap-again. Even Weight Watchers is stupid, because it allows for binge days which take you a week to recover from, prolonging the weight loss. Since February, I've dropped 10lbs, and wanted to start eating more nutritious foods to maintain my current weight. Googling "nutrient dense" foods led me to researching "primal eating"--eating the kinds of foods humans ate in the Paleolithic era. That meant: no grains (or very limited amounts), no dairy (Cro Magnon hadn't invented animal husbandry), no beans or legumes, and no sugar or other processed foods. Occasional honey as a sweetener (because you would've been able to get it from a honeycomb) and wine (natural fermentation).

Basically, if it had to be cooked in order to be rendered edible, it was off the list. Corn is toxic, and potatoes, tomatoes & peppers are considered "nightshades" because they only grew on the American continents, not the European/African/Asian ones.

Fatty cuts of meat, veggies, nuts, certain seeds & fruits are all good.

I started eating Paleo around 3 weeks ago, and have lost an additional 5lbs, bringing my total weight down to 120. Those 5lbs I lost were unintended, but within the first few days I was already feeling better, more clear-headed and had lots of energy. I can go longer on less food, providing what I eat is nutrient-dense & filling. Now, I actually have a difficult time eating more than 1500 calories a day, but I eat until I'm full. And because I've cut out grains, I no longer have post-nasal drip (which would cause me to clear my throat constantly, which was pretty irritating) and bloating.

I think most people have grain allergies, they just don't realize it. This isn't Atkins or South Beach, where you have to severely restrict carbs and force your body into ketosis in order to lose weight (although that can be done if you need to drop some pounds or are into mass-building). Calories don't count either. It's more about a balance of percentages than how much you eat. Eating good saturated fats (from meat and nuts, not from veg oils and Twinkies), a healthy amount of carbs (100g+/day) and good sources of protein keep your metabolism up. Some Paleo eaters are hardcore and only do raw food, no sugar whatsoever, and intermittent fasting. Others have a difficult time cutting out dairy (adding cream to their milk, cheese, etc).

I've become a little more proficient in the kitchen since I've started cooking Paleo meals, and I think I save money by eating last night's leftovers for lunch the following day. I made tilapia one night, and it tasted so good I scarfed it down looking for more (I'm not a huge seafood eater). I really do not crave bread at all, and the last time I ate a ciabatta roll I felt incredibly bloated and yucky. I don't want to feel like that again, which is motivation enough to stay away from that shit.

I've been surprised by the number of recipes that are Paleo. Cooking eggs in bacon rings? Big beef stews with root veggies, onions, homemade stock and seasonings? Delicious. Bacon & watercress soup? Mmmmmm.

#43226 - 09/26/10 08:32 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Nicholas DePrey Offline
stranger

Loc: Sweden
Im doing Paleo, and I love it! Im under 110kg's (242lbs) for the first time in 4 years. I have lost about 22lbs in 3 months \:\)

Edited by Nicholas DePrey (09/26/10 08:32 PM)

#43233 - 09/26/10 11:47 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nicholas DePrey]
XBlackXScorpionX Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
This thread prompted me to do a little research of my own. Now my fridge is full of healthy food and I spent less than I usually do. If I can eat healthy, be satisfied, and save money I'll consider it a win.
#43237 - 09/27/10 07:33 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: XBlackXScorpionX]
Nemesis Offline

Nicholas--that is fantastic!

Scorp--Trust me, it's hard to feel deprived on this diet when you can stuff your face. Get creative! If you feel a craving for pancakes or muffins, you can sub out the flour with a nut flour like almond or pecan (which you can make at home quite easily--the flour is just finely ground up nuts which is then sifted). Generally, the fattier cuts of meat are better because the high fat content is more filling and makes digestion much easier. When you cook chicken, leave the skin on so the fat gets into the meat. Buy heavily marbled steaks. Use tallow/ghee/bacon grease for frying instead of butter or olive oil.

I've been spending less $$$ as well (although it doesn't seem like it), because now I plan my meals for the week and buy my groceries all at once, instead of going to the store every night and buying crap that I shouldn't be eating.

#43238 - 09/27/10 09:20 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
This actually came along at just the right time for me, thanks for posting it Nemesis.

Since I've been posting on this site I've lost about 35 pounds on Weight Watchers but am stagnating.

My wife has lost a significant amount more than I have by following something close to what you've illustrated here. It's really a different kind of weight loss. My daughter is 14 and athletic and I can't tell my wife's clothes from my daughter's clothes any more (I do the laundry).

Count me in. I'll post progress updates as I go along and anything else I learn along the way.

#43239 - 09/27/10 10:02 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Fnord]
Nemesis Offline

Good luck on your venture, Fnord!

I think Weight Watchers fails a lot of people because it's all about counting calories. If you eat right, calories don't matter one bit. Some Paleo eaters can do 2K-3K calories a day, but because they eat the right foods it actually contributes to their weight loss.

I'm on CavemanForums and have been doing a lot of reading about the diet. The forum is great because you're encouraged to post a food journal so the other members can give you advice. And you can read through other members' journals to get an idea of what options are available. There are quite a lot of Paleo recipes available for free on the web, plus you can try converting regular recipes to Paleo by subbing certain ingredients.

#43261 - 09/28/10 04:40 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
I just ate my neighbor's cat, right after I clubbed him to death, and dragged off his women...

I am so satisfied right now... mmmm!

You know I'm "mostly" joking Nemesis... but you gotta warn these people too! Sounds a little like Atkins...

You can lose the weight on these diets, but... they must've dug up some roots at least, somewhere? I know that's carbs... some variety of lettuces, cabbages?

Meat should be cooked if you get it from the store... at least... so unless your gnawing on rabbits, or hunting deer for your tribe... there's going to be a fire burning.

People who aren't tiny, you'll lose weight, and this may be the great new thing. Just like Native American, or the Original diet of the Aztecs... lots of stuff out there to go back to some original "roots" of dietary consumption.

All of them might be good, or any one of them... but if you have high triglycerides, high LDL, or cholesterol levels... you might want to consult your doctor before you do this sort of thing, especially if you're taking medication.

I'm sounding like an asshole here.

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to avoid some cardiac arrests!

And remember, they were hunting for the food, and they didn't always succeed. Try running all day, jumping, falling, and shanking a Moose with a spear or a knife that you made... and the Moose is still alive, and pissed. Then you'll really be thin! And you'd be happy to live until your 40.

High density (vitamins, lean protein) foods, workout until you want to puke...

You'll take off the pounds in 3 weeks...

But it won't feel as good as eating bacon, EVER.

Sorry,

Daeve.

#43262 - 09/28/10 07:44 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

LOL! All good points you've made, Daeve \:\)

But, it's been shown that by following a low-carb Paleo diet, has improved all of those things you mentioned: high triglycerides, LDL & cholesterol. Many Paleo eaters get their blood tested frequently and have come back with perfectly normal results. Every now and then you'll have someone with out of whack ratios, but that usually means they're cheating with stuff like dairy or tequila ;\)

As an example,
Blood Lipid Improvement
Can triglycerides be too low?
Cholesterol results after 6 weeks of Paleo<<this guy hadn't managed to cut out drinking alcohol

And seeing how grains and sugary fruits cause insulin spikes, eating this way has also been shown to improve the symptoms of Type 1 & 2 diabetes--
Paleo vs. Type 1 Diabetes
Paleo diet & diabetes: Improved Cardiovascular Risk Factors

And the reason why I mentioned Atkins was to highlight the difference between that diet and Paleo--mainly carb & calorie restriction. With Paleo, you want to get plenty of good carbs from roots like you said: cabbage, carrots, turnips, rutabagas, leafy greens, broccoli, etc as well as some berries and nuts. With Atkins, you're limited to 20g of carbs a day. A body cannot function well on only 20g a day. It makes you cranky, you get muscle spasms, and you're tired. Which is why Atkins is only a short-term diet plan, and Paleo is sustainable.

Granted, some Paleo eaters are on the 90% meat spectrum, and others are closer to fruitarians. Neither of these extremes is really Paleo, as our ancestors probably ate 60% carbs and the rest consisted of whatever meat they managed to kill/store for later. There's always a trial period where one figures out what ratios work best for them.

And you can eat all the (uncured) bacon you want! \:\)

#43265 - 09/28/10 10:39 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Nicholas DePrey Offline
stranger

Loc: Sweden
Do you guys have any recipes to share? I'm running out of ideas lol

#43267 - 09/28/10 12:26 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nicholas DePrey]
Nemesis Offline

Sift through the ones posted here , here , here , and at the bottom of the page here .

Those should be enough to keep your tastebuds occupied for a while!

#43307 - 09/29/10 04:53 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

You, my dear Nemesis, are AWESOME.

I'll check out the data, definitely.

Atkins has also had some similar effect, though. Even some doc's I worked with ate that way... Even down to some kind of weird cereal thing... they did lose weight... but they gained it back.

Move your body! Shake that thang! We mustn't forget exercise! That's the real deal, and that's why it sucks.

So when you lose those pounds, and want to keep them away... walk.... swim, have marathon sex (that's one of my favorites)... and DO get checked out, especially if you are on meds. If this diet reduces blood glucose, and you happen to be diabetic, you may find yourself in a bad situation...

Just adding concerns, I'll check out those links! Recipes indeed! I'd love to know more of this!

Daeve.

P.S. - Damn, the Tequila? That's what it is? \:\)

#43309 - 09/29/10 07:33 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

Awww, thanks Daeve *blushes*. Also this is an interesting read--

Saturated fats + grains = myocardial infarction

And while this diet may reduce blood glucose in comparison to a typical Western diet, it regulates it more efficiently-- Paleo diet beats Mediterranean diet for controlling blood glucose

Exercise is a wonderful thing. I bought a pair of those Vibram fivefingers shoes (which I got via UPS yesterday but they were a hair too small so I sent them back for an exchange). Hopefully by wearing those shoes it will encourage me to get out more. Plus, the weather down here is sloooooowly starting to get cooler (still humid, a couple degrees cooler), which always makes me want to be outdoors.

#43347 - 09/30/10 02:50 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

Awww Shucks...

But interesting point on the Tequila factor... I know this isn't about counting calories, but there is truth in that. I'd like to demonstrate this with two links.

One is the calorie counter regarding alcohol, it's just a link, and has nothing to do with this site, but people can see where some of those hidden calories come from. Alcohol can add a helluva lot of useless calories (Unless the evening was fantastic!). So here it is:

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/CollegeStudents/calculator/alcoholcalc.aspx

Also, just for "fun" check out how many calories it takes to maintain your weight. I just mention this in case you do drink, and you can see where the cutbacks can be made in that regard. I'm still going to check out Paleo, most definitely. I'm not hijacking this thing.

Check it out here, just for "fun" okay?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

If you are drinking, you can see, by simple math, how many calories are applied toward that "hobby".

Damn I love Tequila,

Daeve.

#43444 - 10/04/10 08:12 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

I have a couple of Paleo recipes that you guys could try. Both were absolutely delicious and filling.

Dandelion Salad w/ Warm Bacon Dressing

Serves 4

1 lb tender dandelion leaves, bottom stems removed
5 bacon slices
1 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped shallot
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
dash of black pepper

Fry bacon, reserve grease, chop bacon into bits
Cut greens 1.5" long, transfer to a large bowl
Whisk together shallot, vinegar, salt & pepper with remaining bacon grease.
Toss with greens to coat, top with bacon.
Serve immediately

**dandelion greens are strong-tasting, but not as sharp as rocket/arugula or watercress

Spaghetti Squash Saute

Serves 4

1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
1/4 cup butter/margarine
1 small onion, chopped into long pieces (not diced)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350F/175C
Set squash cut-side down on a foil-lined baking pan. Cook for 35-40 minutes until tender but still firm, take out to cool
In a large saucepan, melt butter and saute onions & garlic until tender. Add squash, cook for another 5 minutes until squash is soft.

**I made both of these tonight, and used the big pan I'd fried the bacon in to cook the squash. There was a bit of bacon flavor added to the dish, which was delicious.

#43513 - 10/08/10 08:01 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
My mom has been eating this way for years. She has had almost no health issues, and for a woman her age, that is pretty incredible.

One of the MMA trainers I follow has his fighters on this diet.

Think about it this way, your evolutionary biology is over 500,000 years old. Farming is less than 10,000 years old and sugar has only been in common use for about 200 years. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is less than 50 years old.

Diet and exercise will 'cure' nearly 90% of all illness.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.034 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.