Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#43514 - 10/08/10 08:41 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Fist]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Absolutely, Fist. That is amazing to hear how well your mom is doing, eating Paleo! I'm not surprised at all to hear about MMA fighters on this diet.

What I think hampers a lot of people from eating this way is the brainwashing of "fat is bad for you" that's been going on for decades. Even doctors still recommend diets low in fat, lots of veggies/fruits (carbs), and low-fat dairy. And then they try to pin all of the heart disease in the West on eating meat. Bullshit, I say. Eating deep-fried pseudo meat is what lands people in the hospital. Even ones who try to "eat right" and exercise often find they face an uphill battle (weight loss stalls, health problems, mineral imbalances, etc). Now people are sloooooowly starting to realize that you need fats, one just has to be more selective of the sources they get it from. Commercial beef and poultry? Full of hormones, chemicals, and has way too much of the unhealthy saturated fats than wild-caught or naturally-raised livestock.

The vegetarian diet is what's really making people so damned unhealthy. This absurd notion that we're more closely related to the modern tree monkeys (whose diet consists almost entire of raw fruits and veggies) and to chimps, skewing their logic and promoting their guilt-ridden "Save the Animals--don't eat meat!" cult lifestyle. We branched off from the chimps a long time ago, carved out our own niche and developed our OWN dietary needs millions of years ago. All the wishful pipedreams in the world isn't going to take away the fact that people need meat, some more than others. Most certainly NONE of us need grain or dairy!

I don't think it's right to treat animals the way our food industries do. I'm 100% for grass-fed, natural, organic livestock raising. De-beaking hens, grinding up male chicks because they're useless, forcing animals to live and breed in tiny stalls, never to see the light of day--that shows disrespect of our fellow creatures, and allows for people to continue their callous and ignorant way of living. Appreciate your food and where it comes from. There are better ways to put that meat on your dinner plate, and it's taking root in small farms throughout the country.

#43519 - 10/09/10 03:55 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Nemesis,

I love you to death!!!

I have to disagree to just some degree. And I'll say it in a nice way. Saturated fats and cholesterol CAN be bad for many, many people.

I would consider a diet rich in fruits at the very least, part of a Paleo diet... unless there were no fruit bearing trees at that time. I'm sure berries were around. And you've talked about nuts, which is good.

When I was working out.. with a trainer, I didn't eat any land animal meats... sometimes fish. Proteins can be found in nuts and grains... but this diet seems to be anti-grain.

I'm wondering, truly, where one can find a wild chicken or cow these days... and if I were to go up and hack them down (or chase them all over with the chickens!) how the public would view me.

I'm glad you included the food industries' tactics, but how does one really get away from that, unless you know a farmer? And we shouldn't drink the milk, but eat the animal that makes the milk?

You have said this is less expensive, but in my parts, I guess I'd have to make friends with someone who owns a cow. Then I should say... "Hey, you know your cow's looking pretty good... for eating... when are you going to kill her again?" And "You haven't been giving her any hormones or antibiotics, right?"

Maybe I should just run wild with only a loincloth and a spear through the desert... and stab some giant lizards and snakes. Wouldn't be the first time... eating them though...

I think I'd need some bread. And a beer to wash it down.

I'm somewhat kidding, I just don't get it. Maybe a list would be good...

What to eat, what not to eat. That would simplify things.

I'm still stuck on the workout 'til you wanna puke regimen... but that's not a popular idea. I don't like it either, but it's the only thing that has ever given me any results. "Eating" my way to slim just seems like... how can I explain? Impossible.

Love for you Nemesis, always,

Daeve.

#43526 - 10/09/10 10:41 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

The health problems with saturated fats tend to go hand-in-hand with eating grains. Take the Inuit, for example. These folks had adapted to an almost all-protein diet of seals, fish, and whale meat. When these people were introduced to the Western diet, the rates of heart disease and obesity skyrocketed. I'm not saying that their 80% meat diet was healthy (constipation was a common problem for them), but if they'd lived in a more fertile environment, to include vegetation would have greatly improved their overall health. Paleo tries to strike a balance between the extremes of the Inuit all-meat diet, and the other end of the vegetarian all-veg diet. Both meat and grains cause inflammation. When you have the two together in your system, it doubles the inflammation factor. That's why if one is going to eat meat, it's best to stay away from grains.

http://huntgatherlove.com/category/tags/indigenous

Berries are excellent sources of vitamins and fiber, and most definitely were a part of early man's diet. The fruit is called into question depending upon where your family's origins lie. Europeans didn't have much fruit during the Ice Age--it was too damned cold. But if you came from an African or Middle Eastern ancestry, having fruit included in your diet would be a given. That doesn't mean one should exclude fruit from their meals just because they're white--I sure as hell don't--but if someone wanted to go strict Paleo they would most likely take their specific ancestry into consideration.

With the cows and the milk they produce: humans aren't naturally lactose tolerant. Like most mammals, they were only able to tolerate milk up until a certain age. A small shift in our genes enabled us to be able to consume milk during the Neolithic, but that doesn't mean we should be drinking it. How many people have lactose intolerance? Not just the most noticeable symptoms, like severe diarrhea, but dairy can make a person gassy or upset their stomach with symptoms like heartburn or nausea, which are all mild symptoms easily overlooked. This site could probably explain it better than I could--

http://www.crossfitsocalforum.com/post?id=3651838

I know it'll mean having to go out of your way to find grass-fed meats. I'm not sure how close this place is to you--

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/you_too_can_eat_healthy_beef.htm

But their prices seem decent and they have a large selection of meat. Grass-fed livestock is best because it ensures that you get a proper Omega-3/6 ratio. Most commercial meats on the shelves are grain-fed, which quadruples the Omega-6 content in the meat. That's not good for your heart. It's best to aim for a 1:1 ratio (which is why fish and Omega-3 rich eggs are great to help offset a high Omega-6 intake).

I still get the odd craving for bread too. When the urge strikes me, I'll make an almond flour pancake, mixed with an egg and coconut milk, and add some spices (like cinnamon and honey). It doesn't quite have the same texture as bread, but it doesn't leave me feeling bloated after eating it. I can top it with berries or fruit too. You can buy a bag of nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc) and use a coffee grinder to pulverize them into something you can bake with. It's probably a lot cheaper than buying the pre-made nut flours from organic stores! A bag of almond flour can cost up to $10...fuck that!

The important thing is that Paleo is not a starvation diet like Atkins. To lose weight, there's no reason you have to cut your carb intake to the extremes that Atkins calls for in order to see results. Yes you want to push your body into ketosis, but you should still allow yourself at least 50g of carbs a day. That's a large apple, 2 cups of carrots, several ounces of nuts, and a banana. Add your daily protein (eggs, beef, chicken, pork, etc) and that's a lot of food. Eating nothing but lean meats tells your body to hold on to fats. When you include healthy fats (from nuts & grass-fed meats) your body gets the OK to start burning fat.

Here's a list of the kinds of foods you should eat on Paleo--

http://www.paleodiet.com/definition.htm

Some so-called experts on Paleo disagree on certain points, so it's left up to you to determine what would work best for you. However, all of them advise to refrain from grains, beans/legumes, dairy & sugar.

#43540 - 10/10/10 04:04 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

I'll check the sites...

But can we agree that the "Paleo" person lived to about 35 years of age... for one reason or another....

I should be dead.

Inuits might have lived an extra ten years... to 45. (do you think they were actually studied before "Western" influence?)

Whale blubber and seals, watch the fuck out! I'm gonna live!

Truth is, I don't think anyone knows what's really good for us. Forcing a body into ketoacidosis, sure... you could also give yourself shots of insulin... BUT DON'T.

I hate modern "Medicine" and I've been in the field for a long time... but they have the sometimes good measurements... that's all... get checked out... see if this works... I've had patients with blood glucose levels over 300, when they get it down to "normal" levels... they don't feel right.

Also, we're going with the trend of thinking that "early man creatures" knew better... or had it better... in some ways... due to LIMITATIONS in the selection of food supplies. Now that we have a more global market, more exotic fruits and vegetables... this is a bad thing. This is only an attempt to make some new diet plausable...

get out your bow... start killing Elk, Moose... run and kill the birds you can... Forget the cows and chickens...

And if we are to agree with the postulations of Richard Dawkins... we are all from Africa... we should eat the wonderful delicacies the Sahara offers... or the Jungles?

Then you could live to the ripe old age of... 45?

But maybe you'd feel better in the process.

Lots of loopholes, lots of factors... I'm sure if I ate grains, fruits and vegetables only, and exercised regularly... I'd still live, and live strong. And in later years, I wouldn't be having strokes, blindness, renal failure, diabetes... we can never know.

damn tequila!!!

whole food grains, wild rice, basmati, jasmine rice, quinoa, rye, wheat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, peanuts, cashews, pine nuts... this combination is "bad" for me?

I can't agree...

My biology seems to accept this.

#43543 - 10/10/10 11:17 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

Infections, broken bones, death in childbirth, animal attacks--who knows? I don't think diet was ever an issue with cavemen where their short lifespans were concerned. They had too much going on to have deep thoughts about cholesterol and phosphate/calcium ratios. Bear in mind that the great ages we reach today have only been achieved in the past century. Lifespans from 30,000 BC up until the 1800's stayed relatively the same--early to mid-30's.

Eating Paleo does not mean one should eschew what's been achieved in modern medicine. I don't think eating exotic fruits is bad at all. We've all been displaced from the origins of our ancestors, and many foods that have been discovered on different continents have proven to be very beneficial to one's health. I'm a pasty white girl of European stock, but that doesn't mean I should refrain from eating citrus, coconuts, squash and spinach. Like I said, it's all about how strict you want to be. Plenty of people include nightshades in their diets because they have no adverse reactions to them. But nightshades can cause inflammation and aggravate underlying health problems in a lot of people.

Legumes and most grains have insecticidal toxins that have have to be leeched out of the seeds in order for them to be rendered edible. Wheres as fruits and veggies, even meat (freshly killed) can be eaten raw. I'm not too keen on the texture of raw meat, and I sure as hell would not eat any meat raw that came from a grocery store. But if I killed a deer and gutted it right on the field, I'd consider that meat perfectly safe to take a bite out of.

Just don't discount the successes of people who have been on this diet for years, simply because what it espouses disregards a lot of special interest research. I've had positive results, Nicholas and Fist have both seen huge improvements with eating this way. Sustainable, healthy diets shouldn't be considered "fads".

I can't convince you to try this, you'll have to see for yourself how this fits on you. Everyone's different!

Btw, any luck on ideas for your veggie garden?

#43551 - 10/11/10 12:48 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
Infections, broken bones, death in childbirth, animal attacks--who knows?

Oh, and they had to detach the meat from the animals themselves, and those animals were usually keen on keeping it. How many were killed on the hunt, either directly or due to accident; or starved because their clan didn't catch enough meat? Hardly anyone nowadays dies in the drive-thru lane.

Eating Paleo does not mean one should eschew what's been achieved in modern medicine.

The flip side is true, too - I'm not ready to admit that modern medicine knows everything, or even most things, about how our bodies work.

I don't think eating exotic fruits is bad at all. [snip] [...] but that doesn't mean I should refrain from eating citrus, coconuts, squash and spinach. Like I said, it's all about how strict you want to be.

This is true, although I will add, in case it's not obvious, that if you're doing so, understand what you're eating. My wife and I have started eating Paleo(-ish - thanks, Nemesis, you turned me on to it), and since she's so sensitive to carbs - it makes her moods and metabolism very erratic - we avoid the starchier veg and fruits. I'm sensitive to them, too - they just make me hungrier. The first week I started this, I was surprised how little I actually ate.

Legumes and most grains have insecticidal toxins that have have to be leeched out of the seeds in order for them to be rendered edible.

I seem to recall that humans didn't evolve eating grains, and that grains weren't actually all that prevalent - that they're relatively recent ... can't find the reference right now ... hm, will look that up.

Just don't discount the successes of people who have been on this diet for years, simply because what it espouses disregards a lot of special interest research.

I must be getting old - I'm getting kind of annoyed with how much "science" I'm finding to be crap. I mean, I know there's a lot of psuedo-science out there, but even a lot of the baseline stuff is BS. I've recently discovered that something as simple as running is done all wrong. Look up the Tarahumara, barefoot running, and why running heel to toe is wrong, and why running shoes are bad for you. (I'm happy to say I've had this one right from the beginning.)

#43563 - 10/11/10 07:34 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Autodidact]
Nemesis Offline

Quote:
Oh, and they had to detach the meat from the animals themselves, and those animals were usually keen on keeping it. How many were killed on the hunt, either directly or due to accident; or starved because their clan didn't catch enough meat? Hardly anyone nowadays dies in the drive-thru lane.

Exactly. Paleo diet detractors (or meat-eating detractors in general) like to point out the short life spans of our predecessors, but diet in and of itself had nothing to do with it. Life as it used to be was fucking dangerous, plain and simple.

Quote:
The flip side is true, too - I'm not ready to admit that modern medicine knows everything, or even most things, about how our bodies work.

Yes, it's difficult to believe everything you hear/read when it comes to breakthroughs in medicine. It's like the ipod--you need to wait a few more years for the perfected model to be introduced at JobsCon ;\)

Quote:
I seem to recall that humans didn't evolve eating grains, and that grains weren't actually all that prevalent - that they're relatively recent ... can't find the reference right now ... hm, will look that up.

We most definitely did not evolve eating grains. I think only during the Upper Paleolithic did we slowly begin to include them in our diets. Even then, it was not to the extent that we do today. How much grain you ate depended upon how much you could harvest by hand, not how much money you could spend at Taco Bell and the grocery store.

Quote:
I must be getting old - I'm getting kind of annoyed with how much "science" I'm finding to be crap. I mean, I know there's a lot of psuedo-science out there, but even a lot of the baseline stuff is BS.

So much of it is half-assed and not true science--they don't have proper control groups, and don't take external factors into account when they're processing their results--not to mention how many of these health studies are funded by pro-vegetarian groups.

I ordered a pair of Vibram's Fivefingers (had to return them for a larger size) and am hoping to get them back soon. Tennies have always caused problems for my feet, chiefly in the form of ingrown toe nails and pinched nerves in my metatarsal area. I plan on wearing these shoes as much as possible, even if I don't do anything but stand around all day at work ;\)

#43565 - 10/11/10 01:10 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Autodidact Offline

We most definitely did not evolve eating grains. I think only during the Upper Paleolithic did we slowly begin to include them in our diets. Even then, it was not to the extent that we do today. How much grain you ate depended upon how much you could harvest by hand, not how much money you could spend at Taco Bell and the grocery store.

Found one source - here, third question down: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#RA

I ordered a pair of Vibram's Fivefingers (had to return them for a larger size) and am hoping to get them back soon. Tennies have always caused problems for my feet, chiefly in the form of ingrown toe nails and pinched nerves in my metatarsal area. I plan on wearing these shoes as much as possible, even if I don't do anything but stand around all day at work ;\)

Heh, I was going to mention those the first time I posted

I would actually advise caution - my understanding is that if you're used to wearing "normal" sneakers, switching will take some time while your muscles get used to working differently. Your feet and lower legs will be sore as you get used to them. Have those tennis shoes around in case you need to switch back in this middle of work.

#43566 - 10/11/10 02:26 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Autodidact]
Nemesis Offline

I haven't worn tennies in months, and I either wear flip flops or short-heeled shoes to work and for getting around. I go barefoot at home and occasionally at work. I don't think I'll have a particularly tough time going without the pads and support of sneakers.

#43613 - 10/14/10 10:23 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Quote:
I must be getting old - I'm getting kind of annoyed with how much "science" I'm finding to be crap. I mean, I know there's a lot of psuedo-science out there, but even a lot of the baseline stuff is BS.

So much of it is half-assed and not true science--they don't have proper control groups, and don't take external factors into account when they're processing their results--not to mention how many of these health studies are funded by pro-vegetarian groups.

Ok, I think I could fall in love with those Fivefingers. I'm a bare-foot baby and everyone is ALWAYS telling me to put on shoes. I tend to like wearing things that don't have a damn bit of support in them and feel better with less support on my feet, even walking on concrete for 8 hours a night. Moccasins are my absolute favorite but weather doesn't always permit them and they aren't good with the wet tile floors at work. I'm going to find a way to get a pair of the Fivefingers and try them out.

As for the Paleo diet, I'm slowly working into adjusting our food intake here at home. My youngest isn't a huge meat eater (although he has gotten better this past 10 months) but I'm working the hardest on him. He's being weaned off of so much milk, cheeses, etc., although I won't exclude those things completely from his diet being that he's still a growing kid. The family is enjoying the homemade things like all natural broths/gravies and lots more red meats and pork. We've always eaten lots of meats, but included far too much starch, including breads, etc. They all like noodles, rice, and potatoes, so that's kind of a difficult adjustment, but little by little I'm changing that up too. Fresh or steamed veggies with those sturdy meats and they're not missing the other as much. I'm noticing that my desire for junk food and bread is disappearing without much effort too. Fresh fruit is kept at abundance (bananas, apples, etc.) and I think that's helping, but I've noticed that I want leftovers more than anything. I think because they actually fill me up and without eating so much. My youngest is enjoying eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast before school, instead of the sugary cereals and milk. He's started losing weight without much effort at all. He's always been on the higher end of the growth chart for his age (90 to 95% for height and around 65 to 75% for weight), but had started putting on a little bit of extra weight the last year or so. That seems to now be dropping back off. I, on the other hand, have the glorious Hungarian and German side of my family and fight tooth and nail to at least attempt to stay trim to some degree. I know when we were eating like this about 5 years ago, I trimmed way down and am hoping this gets me back on track again to getting the few extra pounds gone again.

I didn't know that Albacore Tuna was that high in mercury, so the tid-bit on that was some great info for me to keep in mind when looking into new things to add to our diets here at home.

As for eating raw meat, no can do here. There is just something about it bleeding that profusely that really doesn't sit well with me and the current meats available on the market are not something I would even attempt. I like my red meats medium to medium well depending on the cut and all that, with a decent amount of juice, but I don't think I could eat it completely raw. IF I had to, that might be a different story, but since I don't have to, nope, not gonna.

#43614 - 10/14/10 11:09 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nyte]
Nemesis Offline

Quote:
As for the Paleo diet, I'm slowly working into adjusting our food intake here at home. My youngest isn't a huge meat eater (although he has gotten better this past 10 months) but I'm working the hardest on him. He's being weaned off of so much milk, cheeses, etc., although I won't exclude those things completely from his diet being that he's still a growing kid.

That's good. It's odd that he doesn't like much meat--perhaps he's had a few badly-cooked meals and was turned off by it? That's one of the reasons why my b/f didn't eat steak up until recently. His mom would overcook the shit out of it, leaving it tasteless and chewy. My mom tended to do that as well and I always hated when she cooked certain foods. That might be what turns your son off of meat, since you like yours more on the done side. Maybe next time you broil/grill some steaks, cook his to just under medium (that's how I like mine, and since meat has to rest for about 5-8 minutes after being removed from the heat, I take mine out when the inside temp hits 145F...by the time it's rested the temp has reached 155-160F). What kind of meats does he like? I'd never tried lamb until this year, and now I'm hooked on it.

For the milk & cheese...if at all possible, make sure to buy him whole milk. Skim and percent milk is useless. It's not the fat in milk that makes kids fat, it's the sugary foods and diet/sugar-free "Splenda"-type sweeteners that screw up their systems. The body has an easier time processing straight sugar than it does all of the artificial sweeteners that's in every processed food nowadays.

Quote:
My youngest is enjoying eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast before school, instead of the sugary cereals and milk. He's started losing weight without much effort at all.

Excellent! Yes, having a good meal of protein is a much better way to start the day. For snacks, I like to munch on macadamia nuts, almonds or pecans. Peanuts are technically legumes, so I stay away from those. The nuts have good fats, are filling, and most of them are lightly salted, making them low-sodium. Plus, they're good sources of dietary fiber. I also like to make a batch of hard-boiled eggs to keep in the fridge & snack on. They'd be great to pack in his lunch, to eat for breakfast if he's running late, or as a mid-afternoon snack.

Slices of melon are also good (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew). And since they're naturally sweet, it helps take the edge off of any sugar cravings.

For dessert, I like to peel and slice an apple, and fry the slices up in some leftover bacon grease (nitrite-free, 40% less sat fat than traditional bacon). Both sides get golden-brown, then I swab off some of the grease and sprinkle pumpkin pie seasoning (cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice) over it. Delicious!

I'd had no idea that Albacore tended to have higher levels of mercury either. But regular tuna packed in water is just fine, and is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I had a craving for it and bought a pack of small cans. I have one a day for lunch, drained and not mixed with anything like mayo or dressing.

#43623 - 10/14/10 05:11 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Nyte Offline

Quote:
As for the Paleo diet, I'm slowly working into adjusting our food intake here at home. My youngest isn't a huge meat eater (although he has gotten better this past 10 months) but I'm working the hardest on him. He's being weaned off of so much milk, cheeses, etc., although I won't exclude those things completely from his diet being that he's still a growing kid.

That's good. It's odd that he doesn't like much meat--perhaps he's had a few badly-cooked meals and was turned off by it? That's one of the reasons why my b/f didn't eat steak up until recently. His mom would overcook the shit out of it, leaving it tasteless and chewy. My mom tended to do that as well and I always hated when she cooked certain foods. That might be what turns your son off of meat, since you like yours more on the done side. Maybe next time you broil/grill some steaks, cook his to just under medium (that's how I like mine, and since meat has to rest for about 5-8 minutes after being removed from the heat, I take mine out when the inside temp hits 145F...by the time it's rested the temp has reached 155-160F). What kind of meats does he like? I'd never tried lamb until this year, and now I'm hooked on it.

For the milk & cheese...if at all possible, make sure to buy him whole milk. Skim and percent milk is useless. It's not the fat in milk that makes kids fat, it's the sugary foods and diet/sugar-free "Splenda"-type sweeteners that screw up their systems. The body has an easier time processing straight sugar than it does all of the artificial sweeteners that's in every processed food nowadays.

I think my mom messed up how my youngest felt about meat for a long time. She tends to overcook just about any meat she cooks, and once I started cooking the meats, he started trying more. Getting away from my folks, helped big time. The family likes meat to be cooked to be tender, and definitely not cooked all the way through. Plus the picky eating is inherited, from his father. I've worked hard at making things differently, at least to get them to try different things. And now, they'll both try just about anything I cook up, at least once.

Yeah, I know about the artificial sweetners! I'm highly allergic to them and my oldest has CF, so things like Splenda aren't used in this household. Whole milk is allowed but kept to a minimum for the youngest because he tends to really like it and he'll fill up on it.

Now that I have a place for my eliptical and tread mill, we've started exercising regularly (before I have to get ready for work and while he's home in the afternoon) and he's drinking water during his exercise times, which I think is really helping him out big time. He's not filling up on pop or milk, which is a huge step in a good direction and moving his body as well, another good thing.

Quote:
My youngest is enjoying eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast before school, instead of the sugary cereals and milk. He's started losing weight without much effort at all.

Excellent! Yes, having a good meal of protein is a much better way to start the day. For snacks, I like to munch on macadamia nuts, almonds or pecans. Peanuts are technically legumes, so I stay away from those. The nuts have good fats, are filling, and most of them are lightly salted, making them low-sodium. Plus, they're good sources of dietary fiber. I also like to make a batch of hard-boiled eggs to keep in the fridge & snack on. They'd be great to pack in his lunch, to eat for breakfast if he's running late, or as a mid-afternoon snack.

Slices of melon are also good (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew). And since they're naturally sweet, it helps take the edge off of any sugar cravings.

For dessert, I like to peel and slice an apple, and fry the slices up in some leftover bacon grease (nitrite-free, 40% less sat fat than traditional bacon). Both sides get golden-brown, then I swab off some of the grease and sprinkle pumpkin pie seasoning (cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice) over it. Delicious!

I'd had no idea that Albacore tended to have higher levels of mercury either. But regular tuna packed in water is just fine, and is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I had a craving for it and bought a pack of small cans. I have one a day for lunch, drained and not mixed with anything like mayo or dressing.

I'm going to try your snack! Damn that sounds good! I like things like that, so it would be a nice treat and easy enough to make. I bet baking the apple slices in a little bit of bacon grease and add a bit of chopped almond, with the spices......oh my! Now my mind is in over drive about what I can fix like that!

I just got the youngest to try hard boiled eggs a few weeks ago and him and his brother bug me for them about once a week now. It was funny to watch him eat his first one, because he wasn't too sure of it, but the more he ate, the better it was.

The melons are a gimme around here. If I could find a way to keep watermelon, cantalope and honeydew here year round, we'd be set. It's nothing for these guys to finish off 1/2 a large watermelon in a sitting.

I bought 2 huge pumpkins for Halloween for the boys to carve, but I may buy a couple more, just to bake up as a treat. Add some pineapple, cinnamon and some almonds and life will be grand for me! I love squash and saw those were all ok to eat, so needless to say, those are on my shopping lists right now. Even the youngest is willing to try them, so we're all good there!

#43625 - 10/14/10 07:14 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nyte]
Nemesis Offline

Quote:
bought 2 huge pumpkins for Halloween for the boys to carve, but I may buy a couple more, just to bake up as a treat. Add some pineapple, cinnamon and some almonds and life will be grand for me! I love squash and saw those were all ok to eat, so needless to say, those are on my shopping lists right now. Even the youngest is willing to try them, so we're all good there!

Mmmmm, I looooooooove squash! I bought a pie pumpkin for baking and was really disappointed at how little "meat" there was inside! It was all seeds and guts, gross! I was baking my main dish at the time I opened up the pumpkins, and I said, "fuck this" and drove to the store to buy some real squash \:D Acorn, butternut & spaghetti squash are perfect for baking with a blob of butter & cinnamon in the center, plus they're dirt cheap this time of year. I like how filling they are, they're certainly not a dinky side dish. They're also a great substitute for potatoes and yams. A little stringy at times, but nothing that can't be mashed up good before serving it to picky eaters.

One of my favorite squash dishes is spaghetti squash saute, the recipe for which I posted on the first page of this thread.

Butter isn't Paleo, but is often difficult to leave out when preparing a meal. Just don't use margarine! *shudder*

#43631 - 10/15/10 05:34 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

Bacon grease, whole milk, butter, cinammon?

Okay, maybe cinammon...

I'm just gonna take a sideline stance on this, because I really don't understand it anymore.

Good posts Nemesis, and if I knew what was actually your posts, Nyte, I might say the same, try just writing maybe... we might just get it.

It's all fats and a very strange selection of carbs, (meats that probably weren't available, and vegetables... I don't get it) I really don't get it, so I'll just shut up now.

I'll follow this, it's very interesting... and I'd like to hear about everyone's weight loss and their LDL counts... not that it seems to mean much. Good luck with the fats and grease!

Another Tequila please. And some peanuts.

Daeve.

#43635 - 10/15/10 08:19 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nyte Offline

Originally Posted By: daevid777
Bacon grease, whole milk, butter, cinammon?

Okay, maybe cinammon...

I'm just gonna take a sideline stance on this, because I really don't understand it anymore.

Good posts Nemesis, and if I knew what was actually your posts, Nyte, I might say the same, try just writing maybe... we might just get it.

It's all fats and a very strange selection of carbs, (meats that probably weren't available, and vegetables... I don't get it) I really don't get it, so I'll just shut up now.

I'll follow this, it's very interesting... and I'd like to hear about everyone's weight loss and their LDL counts... not that it seems to mean much. Good luck with the fats and grease!

Another Tequila please. And some peanuts.

Daeve.

Sorry my post was so mixed up. I had 20 things going through my head to post about, doing 3 other things at once and forgot to re-read before posting because time ran out on me. My bad.

As for the selections of foods for the Paleo diet, I think what you're forgetting is that it's not like we're taking all the grease from a pound of bacon and cooking one or 2 eggs in it, to saturate the eggs (at least I'm not). I cook with a "light hand" when it comes to using anything that would be considered a "whole fat food". A small tsp of bacon grease warmed in the pan to make it so the eggs don't stick, but that's all. The bacon is patted dry so the grease doesn't sit and collect on the strips as they cool. Whole milk is used in moderation as well.

Something I have found is that my body doesn't tolerate the "additives" in preserved foods anymore, which is just about anything, other than fresh cuts of meat and veggies, raw nuts, and things like real butter or whole milk. Look on the grocery shelves and you will find products that last days, to weeks, and even up to a year, especially the "diet" products. Imagine what kind of additives are sitting in those "convient" foods. When cooking in a Paleo type method, you're using things that don't have that kind of shelf life, which can make all the difference in the way your body breaks down the foods and the way fat is stored or used. Anything frozen in this house was made here, not with a ton of "extra" chemicals.

A few years back, I was eating this way and was the healthiest I'd ever been. My oldest who has Cystic Fibrosis (CF) and my other half were healthier too. My youngest was slim and trim, and active all day long, without the sugar "crash". The difference was, I didn't think about what I cooked, I just cooked like I was taught by my grandparents (which is essentially like now) and it worked. I fell away from cooking this way when we moved in with my folks to help them out. It became a way to cook large meals without much fuss, buying boxed crap. Now though, life is different and I can make things that are actually home made that are much better for us. I just make sure to keep it to higher end meats, veggies and fruits on hand and the higher fatty stuff kept to a minimum. Breads, noodles, rice, dairy, etc., are no longer staples with meals. I won't cut them out completely because my boys need them, but I don't use them regularly either. It may not make sense to someone that's a diet guru but it's working and that's what matters.

As for the medical end of this, well, I know that my blood pressure was down, and my sugars weren't taking dives before, like they have been the last few years. My migraines were to a minimum as well, with me going 3 years between shots for them. I'm hoping to see those things straighten themselves out again but time will tell.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Fnord, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.031 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.