Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#43636 - 10/15/10 08:24 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
A member of the cavemanforum just got his blood test results in, and I asked him if I could post them here (I didn't mention that it was an LHP/Satanic forum )

Here is his post, copied verbatim--

Feel free to use my post. I have been Paleo since Mid March 2010. FYI, I am strict Paleo with my food intake but I still drink more alcohol than I should and actually my results would be way better if I just cut down but truly amazing if I stopped altogether. At that point I would be 100% Paleo. Just to back track for you, My high weight was 178, 5'7" @ 55 years. My current weight is 152, 5'7" @ 57 years. My previous blood work was awful. I had one Dr. ask me how was I alive. My tri's were around 480. You can imagine the other readings. Other benefits I have seen, sinus problem I have had all my life has vanished. My energy level is over the top. I have never felt better. Five years ago I had a total knee replacement and have not been Alpine skiing since. Well, this season I intend to strap on he boards and hit the slopes again. Instead of getting older, I feel like I am getting younger.

I had my blood test results talk with my Dr. today

My Results Rating Acceptable Range
Sodium 130 Low 136-146
Potassium 5.5 High 3.5 - 5.1
Chloride 95 Low 98-107
Glucose 74 Normal 70-107
CO2 22 Normal 22-32
BUN 24 High 7-22
Creatinine 1 Normal 0.7-1.3
Calcium 9.6 Normal 8.4-10.3
Albumin 4.5 Normal 3.3-5.0
AST 23 Normal 15-37
Protein 7.5 Normal 6.0-8.0
Bilirubin 0.5 Normal 0.1-1.2
ALT 24 Normal 12-78
Alk Phos 38 Normal 38-126
Osmo calc 273 Low 280-305
Cholesterol 182 Normal <200
HDL 68 Normal 30-70
Triglycerides 132 Normal <150
LDL calculation 88 Normal <130
Hemoglobin 5.1 Normal 4.0-6.0

So he said up my salt intake a bit and cut out my bananas for a while. I get retested for some of the odd stuff in two weeks. BP was back up again to 140-80. I know that is because I am drinking too much alcohol. I cut that and down it goes. Funny thing about the sodium and chloride.... We high BP people are supposed to cut out salt which obviously did and see how it fell off the table.

Anyway, I think over all it was a great blood test for me. Thank you Paleo.

#43653 - 10/17/10 03:22 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Here I go, throwing in on the tail end of something again, but I have to...

I've basically eaten this way my entire adult life, plus loads of garlic, and I'm healthy as a horse. I started making TS eat this way after we tied the knot and he went from being embarrassingly unhealthy to having a cholesterol of 163, blood pressure of 102/63 and replacing about 40 pounds of fat with about 20 pounds of muscle. No more breakfast/lunch/dinner pills for him.

Basically, if you can't hunt it or gather it, we don't eat it. And by this time next year our menu will come almost exclusively from the acres we occupy so it'll be even more so.

I never understood how people could possibly think that any sort of processed food with shit you can't even pronounce added to it could be healthy...

#43663 - 10/17/10 03:14 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: ceruleansteel]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I will have to try this - really, I will. I've had fibromyalgia with CFS for many years which makes it virtually impossible to exercise and have gut and sinus problems. The rhinitis is so bad that it's weakened my bladder and starts off violent coughing every time I move from one environment to another, especially if there are people there. I'd like to feel better and stronger and lose around 30 pounds.
Someone here mentioned post-nasal drip, I believe (can't pin-point it right now) and I'd be grateful to hear of any information on this and the Paleo diet's affect. \:\)

#43668 - 10/17/10 04:37 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: felixgarnet]
Nemesis Offline

I believe that was me ;\)

Over the past couple of years, my post-nasal drip would persist long after eating a meal. It would seem to worsen depending on what I ate like pizza or pasta. I would lie in bed trying to clear my throat quietly so as not to disturb my b/f, and it was really just driving me insane.

Since switching to Paleo (with few to no wheat/bread/dairy cheats) my symptoms have practically disappeared. The gentleman whose blood test results I quoted, also suffered from p-n drip and was relieved of those symptoms on Paleo as well.

Grains & legumes are often the culprit behind leaky gut syndrome, symptoms which include: abdominal pain, heartburn, insomnia, bloating, anxiety, gluten intolerance, malnutrition, muscle cramps and pains, poor exercise tolerance, food allergies.

#43669 - 10/17/10 07:29 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Hey, Nemesis, thank you for such a prompt response! You and your drip sounds exactly like mine. Eating sets it off, so . . . Paleo, here I come! It will take a while to avoid cheese but I wondered how soy products fare? I already use the "milk". \:\)

#43670 - 10/17/10 07:36 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Nemesis
 Quote:
bought 2 huge pumpkins for Halloween for the boys to carve, but I may buy a couple more, just to bake up as a treat. Add some pineapple, cinnamon and some almonds and life will be grand for me! I love squash and saw those were all ok to eat, so needless to say, those are on my shopping lists right now. Even the youngest is willing to try them, so we're all good there!

Mmmmm, I looooooooove squash! I bought a pie pumpkin for baking and was really disappointed at how little "meat" there was inside! It was all seeds and guts, gross! I was baking my main dish at the time I opened up the pumpkins, and I said, "fuck this" and drove to the store to buy some real squash \:D Acorn, butternut & spaghetti squash are perfect for baking with a blob of butter & cinnamon in the center, plus they're dirt cheap this time of year. I like how filling they are, they're certainly not a dinky side dish. They're also a great substitute for potatoes and yams. A little stringy at times, but nothing that can't be mashed up good before serving it to picky eaters.

One of my favorite squash dishes is spaghetti squash saute, the recipe for which I posted on the first page of this thread.

Butter isn't Paleo, but is often difficult to leave out when preparing a meal. Just don't use margarine! *shudder*

I love eating squash of all kinds. The youngest tried Acorn squash the other day and I just about fell out at how much he liked it. He's tried it before but not like I made it this time. I baked it face down, then once cooked, scooped out the "meat" and put it in a dish with just a small amount of butter, some cinnamon and chopped almonds. Mixed up and served. He ate more than I did. He's planning on trying some butternut squash this week with me. I love the fact he's eating healthier and with that in mind, he just put on a pair of pants today that he couldn't wear 2 weeks ago because the snap kept popping. He came running out of his room to show me. I've noticed my jeans are starting to become loose as well! It's only been a few weeks since I started working on cutting out the starches and sugars and all ready there's a HUGE change. It's worth giving a try at least.

Oh, and almost forgot, my munchy food has become almonds. ;\)

#43671 - 10/17/10 08:53 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: felixgarnet]
Nemesis Offline

Soy products are also a no-go. Soy is a really unhealthy food in all its forms Oh boy how we are misled about soy . You might find that it's been contributing to the digestive problems you've been having. You would be much better off using almond milk instead, even though that's only Paleo by a wink and a nod ;\)

I avoid soy like the plague.

Why soy is bad

#43684 - 10/18/10 03:11 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Almond milk isn't Paleo! Neither is Milk Milk!...

Sorry, I was going to stay out of this, and I just said people shouldn't quote... but Nyte's really got the paste into the paste shit going, it's about to get ridiculous if anyone responds...

And then there was this little gem:

Quote:
You and your drip sounds exactly like mine.

Sorry Babe, I couldn't let it go, It's just my sense of humour, I'm sorry.

Please ignore me, I'm just the Jester.

Love for you Nemesis!

#43685 - 10/18/10 03:39 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
Soy products are also a no-go. Soy is a really unhealthy food in all its forms Oh boy how we are misled about soy . You might find that it's been contributing to the digestive problems you've been having. You would be much better off using almond milk instead, even though that's only Paleo by a wink and a nod ;\)

I avoid soy like the plague.

Why soy is bad

Soy isn't THAT bad. But once again, with all things, soyproducts should be eaten with moderation. It is true of the phytooestrogens being present within the beans, but there are other products who contain these as well and even have it in much higher concentration.

The only people who should be worried about the side-effects of soyaproducts should be vegetarians (since most of them use soy-based products as a substitute for meat) and people who are a little too much caught up with their health and eat soyproducts on a daily basis. From time to time eating soy isn't that bad. Moderation is a keyword.

#43690 - 10/18/10 07:40 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Dimitri]
Nemesis Offline

Quote:
Soy isn't THAT bad. But once again, with all things, soyproducts should be eaten with moderation. It is true of the phytooestrogens being present within the beans, but there are other products who contain these as well and even have it in much higher concentration.

The only people who should be worried about the side-effects of soyaproducts should be vegetarians (since most of them use soy-based products as a substitute for meat) and people who are a little too much caught up with their health and eat soyproducts on a daily basis. From time to time eating soy isn't that bad. Moderation is a keyword.

Maybe so, but why bother eating it in the first place when you get better nutrition (and taste) from a variety of other foods? True, if you're vegan, you're shit out of luck as far as getting protein from meat, but even still, soy is a poor second. Maybe even fifth, when it comes to protein and nutrient content.

All of the foods containing phytoestrogens are: soybeans, tofu, tempeh, soy beverages, linseed (flax), sesame seeds, wheatberries, fenugreek, oats, barley, dried beans, lentils, yams, rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates, wheat germ, rice bran, soy linseed bread, ginseng, hops[17], bourbon, beer, fennel and anise.

From that list, only the ones highlighted in bold are Paleo. There's no way you could eat enough of those 6 foods to consume an unhealthy amount of phytoestrogens. On the other hand, if you consume ALL of those foods on a daily basis (which many people do, even though they're not vegetarians), then you're setting yourself up for problems.

There are just not enough health benefits from soy (and beans in general) to justify eating any of it, even in small amounts.

And yes Dave, I know that no "milk" is Paleo, but almond milk (which has a ton of sweeteners and other crap in it which are most definitely NOT Paleo, plus cavemen had no way to make "milk" from nuts) is still better than soy, if only by comparison. ;\)

On a related "nut milk" (lol) note, I spent the better part of an hour, several nicks from a knife, and making a huge mess, while trying to remove the meat from a coconut to make a batch of "milk" last night. Jesus Christ, I have bandaids on two fingers, a chipped ceramic knife, and I bled all over the coconut (which I thoroughly rinsed off pre-blending). But it was delicious and totally worth it. I use about a tablespoon of it in my espresso each morning for flavor and the good fats, and the yield from one coconut lasts me 2 weeks. The only ingredient I add to it is water, and everything is strained through a cheesecloth into a Blender bottle .

#43708 - 10/19/10 10:35 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Nemesis, thanks for all the info. I was reading labels yesterday day and was surprised to find how many things have soy used in them, in one form or another. I don't eat things with soy as the primary ingredients myself because it tends to make my body do some funky/funny things but hadn't paid attention to what else was out there with soy used in them. I was surprised and needless to say, things with soy went back up on the shelves, not in my cart.

I found something fun in the process though. All natural coconut milk in one of the small grocery stores here. It's only got the coconut milk and some water added to it and wasn't really unreasonable either, a little more than the cost of the coconuts themselves. I was stoked and bought a bottle to try it. I'm finding I'm wanting more steeped teas and use stevia from my garden as the natural sweetner, so I thought I'd try the coconut milk in the teas. Once in a while I drink coffee too. It'll be a nice change from the milk and creamers.

To ceruleansteel: I'd love to be able to get out of having to buy the majority of our food from grocery stores too, but we don't have that kind of property. I'm hoping to get to move south in a few years where I can have a garden longer but that will remain to be seen. I don't know if my family would adapt well to having to clean their own meat for dinner (maybe if they REALLY had to). My other half was raised on a farm, so he knows all about skinning an animal and prep, but the youngest I think likes the fact he doesn't have to see the animal's face before eating it. ; )

#44421 - 11/23/10 07:31 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nyte]
Dutch Satanist Offline
pledge

Loc: Delft, The Netherlands
Hey, this Paleo thing is interesting, if only because it meshes with my wife's food allergies. She's lactose intolerant and does not respond well to sugar, chocolate and peanuts, even though she craves all those things when she is on the rag.

I'm going to study this for a bit and see what I can get out of it. I don't know if I could go completely Paleo, since I like my whiskey, meade, beer and cheese too much... \:\)

I also saw NeoPaleo mentioned here and there. What's the difference?

#44427 - 11/23/10 12:19 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Dutch Satanist]
Nemesis Offline

That's a good question, DS. I've never come across mention of "NeoPaleo" until I Googled it just now. Apparently it's a much more lax version of Paleo that includes seeds and seed by-products, certain gluten-free grains like quinoa and buckwheat, soy (yuck), and other similar foods typically shunned by Paleo eaters.

I really enjoy eating Paleo. I've been having some digestive issues lately, but it's something that's been a long time in coming that I've never properly addressed until now. I'm still trying to work out the cause/effect of certain foods on my system. I still feel great, have stable energy throughout the day, and have lost an additional pound or two over the past month (mostly from low-calorie days where I'm too busy to eat).

#44429 - 11/23/10 02:54 PM Re: Primal eating [Re: Nemesis]
Dutch Satanist Offline
pledge

Loc: Delft, The Netherlands
Me and my wife are going to try it for a month starting next year. If we like it, we will stick to it. She has read about it online and she thinks it looks promising, since it isn't really a diet, but a change in eating habits. And the lack of foods she is allergic to or has intolerance for is also what peaked her interest.

I will of course keep you updated \:\)

#51967 - 03/31/11 11:34 AM Re: Primal eating [Re: Dutch Satanist]
Nemesis Offline

Well after having been on the Paleo diet since August, I finally got some routine blood work done and wanted to share my results:

(I had to fast 12 hours beforehand)

Glucose 76 mg/dL (normal-mid)
Blood Urea Nitrogen 14 mg/dL (normal-mid)
Creatine 0.68 mg/dL (normal-low)
Sodium 140 mmol/L (normal-mid)
Potassium 4.2 mmol/L (normal-mid)
Chloride 103 mmol/L (normal-mid)
CO2 23 mmol/L (normal-low)
Calcium 9.4 mg/dL (normal-mid)
Albumin 4.8 g/dL (normal-high)
Total Protein 7.0 g/dL (normal-mid)
Total Bilirubin 0.7 mg/dL (normal-mid)
Alkaline Phosphate 44 U/L (normal-low)
ALT 14 U/L (normal-low)
AST 15 U/L (normal-low)
Globulin 2.2 g/dL (calc) (normal-low)
Albumin/Globulin 2.2 (normal-high)

Lipid Profile

Total Cholesterol 165mg/dL (normal-mid)
Triglycerides 56 mg/dL (normal-low)
HDL (good) 63 mg/dL (anything over 46mg is best)
LDL (bad) 91 mg/dL (anything under 100mg is best)

LOL@ low fat/meat diets.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.