Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#43214 - 09/26/10 07:54 AM Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest.
OmegaWolf Offline
lurker

http://boydrice.com/news.html

Quote:
To whom it may concern,

As it is widely known, Anton Szandor LaVey repeatedly expressed his sincere desire to me that his mantle as leader of the Church of Satan pass to me upon his death. In his estimation, I was the sole person qualified to carry his tradition into a new era. At the time I demurred, explaining that I was a loner and not a team player or a people person.

Now I have changed my mind. After thirteen years of introspection, I have decided to step up to the plate and humbly accept the role bestowed upon me by my close friend and mentor. Why? Because remaining loyal to LaVey's spirit and memory has come at the cost of distancing myself from the organization perpetuating itself in his name.

At one time, the sycophants and functionaries at the forefront of the CoS may have been called apparatchiks or pencil pushers. Today they are bloggers, whose sole arena of combat is the internet. When they employ "satanic" ideals, it's in endless squabbles in cyberspace - rarely in real life or the real world. The LaVey I knew abhorred such types, and frequently told me as much.

I am told that many in the Church of Satan were offended by my book NO, and particularly by my essay on individuality; which they perceived as a potshot taken at them. How very perceptive - it was exactly that! If Anton were alive to read the text, he'd agree wholeheartedly; and laugh his ass off. He often lamented to me that his ideas vis-à-vis individualism were misguided and that he'd in effect "given birth to a monster"; or that such ideas applied to a few rare souls and not to everyone with the price of admission.

Consequently, my first official act as new leader and only truly ordained High Priest of the Church of Satan is to declare that the organization no longer exists. True LaVeyan Satanism only exists insofar as it is manifested in deeds - in life and living. Never in mere words. Elitism is self-defining, it is not a commodity that can be bought or sold for a few hundred dollars, or whatever the going rate is for a little, red membership card.

In the future, LaVey's ideas can only survive in so much as they constitute a living reality, and never as mere platitudes on the printed page or computer screen; and in the future, such ideas must be taken to the next level. They must be recognized as purely foundational. Not an end point, but a starting point. LaVey expressed as much to me when he appointed me Grand Master of The Order of the Trapezoid. Satanism is an initiation into the wisdom of materiality, and the trapezoid represents the mastering of materiality - the pyramid sans its keystone. It is a foundation and a beginning.

In closing, I know my words will find resonance only amongst a rare few. That's as it should be. I am not trying to "take over" the internet orthodoxy currently known as the Church of Satan, nor would I want to. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I am simply telling you I am Anton LaVey's handpicked replacement as High Priest. Do with that what you will. I will not ask you for money. I will not send you newsletters or post blogs. But I will never steer you wrong, nor ever disgrace the memory of my dear friend and mentor, Anton Szandor LaVey. He lives within each soul that manifests his ideas and worldview. He will remain forever dead to those who are content to pay mere lip service to them. For the former, a new era awaits; for the latter, an old error remains in play. Let the dead bury the dead - life is for the living.

Boyd Rice
High Priest, Church of Satan
Grand Master, Order of the Trapezoid
H.S.d.

Rice declares himself High Priest, then subsequently disbands the Church of Satan.
Of course, this is not an "official" statement or disbandment; more of a rallying against the current state of the CoS. I am sure these sentiments echo those of many Satanists, who have chosen to disregard the current CoS. Rice has always been an interesting character, and one of the best representations of Satanism in my opinion, so it is interesting to hear his current stance of the CoS; a topic he has been silent on for many years (save for declaring that he basically has no involvement in it these days).

#43215 - 09/26/10 09:24 AM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: OmegaWolf]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I here by declare myself Super Duper High Priest of the Church of Satan.

I will however accept your money, and adoration.

Thank you.

SDHP, Asmedious, CoS.

PS. No Vampires of any kind allowed in my tree house!!

#43217 - 09/26/10 12:44 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: OmegaWolf]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Boyd Rice is one of those people who doesn't shun away from pulling of a good joke. His September update might indeed echo the feeling of many people, at least active here at the 600 club, and if not then it echoes mine.

A nice jab, I'm quite sure bureaucrat Gilmore and his ass-kissing bunch will send out some sort of official letter which can be laughed with, yet again. I've always found Boyd Rice an interesting musician and a true Satanist. I'm aware not many agree with me at that point, but considering his achievements and walk of life I highly doubt anyone else would ever do the same.

A part of me now somehow wishes his becomming of HP was real and disbanding the CoS for reasons given and with power taken/finally accepted. Yet again, I doubt it would have taken an impact on my thinking and probably wouldn't give a flying fuck about it in the first place, which is actually still the case.

#43222 - 09/26/10 06:39 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: OmegaWolf]
TheInsane Offline

This is obviously a joke but what is written has some good foundation and I do agree with Mr. Rice. He echoes the thoughts of so many people Ive met who are just tired of hearing Gilmore and his parrots say the same thing over and over and never progress or actually do anything.

I do find it weird that he comes back to Satanism and the Church of Satan like this though. Ihad the feeling he had moved on from all this a long time ago.

#43231 - 09/26/10 09:50 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: TheInsane]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I don't read it as a joke.

Whether it is or isn't though doesn't change the fact that my already high opinion of Boyd Rice has creeped up yet another notch.

I dig the open letter... well played Mr. Rice.

#43241 - 09/27/10 02:27 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: OmegaWolf]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I have just gained a little respect for Rice, not much, but a little.

I would like to see Rice and Gilmore fight it out in a steel-cage match. I'm willing to bet that Petey would not come out on top.

#43244 - 09/27/10 02:43 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Wolflust Offline
stranger

http://www.boydrice.com/gallery/friends_gallery/1990-13.html

Doesn`t seem like it would be a fair match really... \:D

Anyway, I enjoyed Boyd Rice`s statement, and just for the heck of it, it would be fun if this could provoke any reactions at the LttD-forum (Im unable to myself), because it seems filled with the people I think Rice so accurately described...

#43251 - 09/27/10 04:09 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Wolflust]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
Why on earth are Boyd and Gilmore with Bob Larson? Larson seems kind of nervous standing in between the two of them.
#43253 - 09/27/10 04:42 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
I would like to see Rice and Gilmore fight it out in a steel-cage match. I'm willing to bet that Petey would not come out on top.

Given that Boyd has nearly a foot and a half on him easily, I know where to bet the money.

Not that I get off on watching middle aged men 'rassel...

#43257 - 09/27/10 07:10 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Prometheus9]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Not to get too far off topic but size only goes so far in a fight. It has been my experience that the old saying is true: the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Gilmore just comes off as a pussy who couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag with a chainsaw and a stick of dynamite.

#43290 - 09/28/10 08:10 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Incendium Offline
stranger

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee
I'm gonna have to concur with Mr. Rice and everyone else. I hope it's not a joke, and I really hope Rice can provide proof. The CoS has done nothing in recent years to advance Satanism, and I find Peter Gilmore to be, as already said, a parrot reciting the same shit over and over. I'm tired of my belief system being represented by them. I'm sure all are aware of the ToV and it's involvement with the CoS. I just found out myself the other day, and I am fucking livid. Dr. LaVey is rolling over in his grave right now. Money hungry bastards, the lot of them. And I hate Gilmore's goddamned beard!

Sorry for the outburst. I've been unable to get that out for a couple of days. I was getting backed up. \:\)

"Unholy Satanist, child of perdition, ask not for absolution in the hour of death!"

#43291 - 09/28/10 09:20 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Incendium]
Jake999 Offline

LaVey would probably be more pissed at Boyd Rice deciding to do something he was asked to do 13 years ago, when his acceptance would have meant something, and refused. Now he's suddenly decided that LaVey was right and that HE should be the rightful king... cui bono?

Where has Mr. Rice been for the past 13 years? Why have we heard virtually NOTHING from him since the death of Dr. LaVey? Who knows even if his vision of Satanism remains in synch or even compatible with that of LaVey?

What would make Rice even think that Dr. LaVey would still want him, having shown reluctance to take the reins of leadership when he was asked to? But now that, and let's face it... his career as an antiestablishment radical entertainer is no longer relevant... he is suddenly consumed by the Black Flame with passion to bring Satanism out of the doldrums of the current leadership's hands?

Having known LaVey personally, and I'm sure that even Dr. Aquino will agree... when LaVey gave you an opportunity, or asked your assistance once, if refused, a second opportunity was seldom if ever offered.

So cui bono is best and most easily answered by... Boyd Rice. But then, the logical questions are there as well... why now? Where the hell were you when the walls came tumbling in? Why are you even relevant today? Why should I FOLLOW YOU?

Of course, some people will follow anyone or anything. In this world of billions, it isn't news that you have a following. The real news is if you have an idea and NO ONE follows.

#43293 - 09/28/10 10:33 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Jake999
Having known LaVey personally, and I'm sure that even Dr. Aquino will agree... when LaVey gave you an opportunity, or asked your assistance once, if refused, a second opportunity was seldom if ever offered.

Yes, I would agree, and indeed I think you've made a most insightful point here. On 9/20/71 Diane LaVey quoted to me a personal desk sign that Anton had just created for himself:

Originally Posted By: ASLV
There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are many who would share my time. I tolerate them.
There are precious few who would contribute to my time. These I appreciate.

He empathized with those who acted with the courage of their convictions, even when he might disagree with those convictions. One can see this reflected in his admiration for Ayn Rand's heroes, narcissistic caricatures as they might be. Concerning the indecisive and passive, he perhaps summarized his sentiments best in the May-June 1971 Cloven Hoof. Referring to the well-known aphorism that “all the world’s a stage”, Anton pointed out that very few persons could qualify as bona-fide “actors” - that most are suited to being “spear-carriers” at the back of the stage, or even to being an attentive, appreciating audience. Attempting to leave the theatre is impossible, since there is no escape from the world-stage’s presentations:

Originally Posted By: ASLV, “Million d’Arlequin, Vesti la Giubba, et al.”
Yes, the world is not simply a stage, but a theater; and it is a Barnum and Bailey world, just as phoney as it can be. Before it can become any more true, we’d all better damned well realize that. I like to think that Satanists do, more than others. It helps me keep the faith.

#43306 - 09/29/10 04:15 AM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

A good post. Your points are thought provoking and motivating as usual.

I like the level of realism, cynicism and humour Dr. LaVey possessed and the way he regarded people and their roles and motivations. I like the vision, the eyes, the perceptions of a carny as well.

LaVey must have enjoyed the company of some rather tough minded and interesting sorts of people over the years. Some unorthodox and challenging thinkers and doers I think.

I am interested in the way he made decisions regarding the type of people who were involved with him.

I don't know much about this Boyd Rice guy. Does it really matter all that much now? Jake said he was given a chance and he did not take it when LaVey offered it, so that's that. Why did Boyd Rice bring this up now?

#43308 - 09/29/10 05:28 AM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Jake999]
TheInsane Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake999

What would make Rice even think that Dr. LaVey would still want him, having shown reluctance to take the reins of leadership when he was asked to? But now that, and let's face it... his career as an antiestablishment radical entertainer is no longer relevant... he is suddenly consumed by the Black Flame with passion to bring Satanism out of the doldrums of the current leadership's hands?

This is exactly what I think Satanism needs to get away from. "Would LaVey still want him?" Seriously who cares? LaVey is dead and Satanism needs to move on. The problem with Peter Gilmore and his lackeys are that they constantly refer to the past and never produce anything new. Its always "LaVey said this" or "LaVey wrote that".

LaVey had a massive role in Satanism and I do not deny that - I respect him for that but the massive personality cult has to be left behind.

I do not care what LaVey would think of Mr. Rice doing this today in 2010 rather than in 1997. If Mr. Rice does decide to go further on with this and if its not just a temporary thing to get some attention I am all for it. And I hope, if he does create for himself an highly influential voice in the "Satanic community", that he does things to forward Satanism. To break free from the chains of, not necessarily LaVey and his writings, but of his lackeys and parrots.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.