Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#43473 - 10/06/10 10:58 AM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: TheInsane]
SubtleSatanist Offline
stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Interesting...

I've seen a few videos of Boyd Rice on Youtube, but other than that, I know very little about him. I'm currently in my first year of university and the workload is very heavy. What's the best way to learn more about him without too much of a time commitment? Anything I should know about him that I might not figure by browsing his site, wikipedia, etc? To be honest... I really like Gilmore. I would love it if you guys could explain to me what you have against him and the CoS as a whole. So far I'm pretty one-sided on the issue... I think Gilmore's a champ lol. I hate to spam on this site, but if you agree - please join me if you have facebook and feel free to look at the discussions I've had on other forums listed here: ( http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6...146593638717799 )

#43474 - 10/06/10 11:21 AM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: SubtleSatanist]
TheInsane Offline

To be honest I havent read much by Mr. Rice himself and he might be a little bit to heavy into the shock tactics for my personal taste but at least he dares to develop and dares to progress. I have previously discussed why I dislike the CoS so I dont think there is any need for me to repeat myself.

As for a fun, although at times annoying, introduction to Boyd Rice I would recomend the mp3's of when he was a guest on Bob larsons radio show "talk back". Its obviously not the best introduction if you want explenations behind statements and more substance but it is great fun to listen to if you have some time over (like if you commute to work or something). Can be found here:

http://www.boydrice.com/downloads.html

Edited by TheInsane (10/06/10 11:26 AM)
Edit Reason: Inserted a link.

#43482 - 10/06/10 07:10 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: SubtleSatanist]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
You might want to read these links listed in this message/thread in regards to the CoS/Gilmore.

http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads...=true#Post38246

Oh, and if you post on LTTD and tell them you are a member and post here, odds are you will be banned from LTTD within a few days.

Morgan

#43490 - 10/07/10 12:22 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: SubtleSatanist]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I have nothing against The Church of Satan, that organization simply isn't for me. Gilmore, on the other hand, just comes off as a douche-bag weasel. What really sealed the deal was his essay about "Satanic Communities" as it was full of bullshit condescension and hypocrisy.

#43493 - 10/07/10 03:06 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: OmegaWolf]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
This is nothing new. Back during the original Church there was a constant parade of copycats and pretenders; and the Temple of Set has seen plenty of them too. Anton LaVey's attitude was very simple: "Go ahead." Meaning, of course, that anyone can make a speech, but what counts is the work you put into your idea, the interest it holds for others, and the extent to which your collective efforts amount to something substantial & durable.

The Church of Satan didn't happen because Anton spontaneously jumped up on a rock, proclaimed himself High Priest of Satan, and expected/got instant adulation. It was a long, slow process of personal education & experience developing into a unique philosophy & lifestyle, then informal [as the "Magic Circle"] sharing with interested friends, and only consequently consensus to formalize the experience into the Church. I'm reminded of Miles Davis: “I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.”

#43494 - 10/07/10 03:44 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Morgan]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
 Originally Posted By: Morgan
You might want to read these links listed in this message/thread in regards to the CoS/Gilmore.

http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads...=true#Post38246

Oh, and if you post on LTTD and tell them you are a member and post here, odds are you will be banned from LTTD within a few days.

Morgan

Are you serious? A Church of Satan member on LTTD would get banned there for posting here? What? That is the most ridiculous think I've ever heard. Why would they get banned?

#43496 - 10/07/10 03:59 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Lamar]
Prometheus9 Offline
stranger

My favorite Boyd Rice tv moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j52755BoAb4

You'll also see Nick Bougas, director of "Speak of the Devil" who did a song for LaVey's "Satan Takes a Holiday."

#43499 - 10/07/10 04:44 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Lamar]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
"Are you serious? A Church of Satan member on LTTD would get banned there for posting here? What? That is the most ridiculous think I've ever heard. Why would they get banned?"

You are young, wait and see. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

Go ahead, ask them about it. lol

Morgan

#43501 - 10/07/10 05:30 PM Re: Boyd Rice declares himself High Priest. [Re: Lamar]
TheInsane Offline

Originally Posted By: Lamar

Are you serious? A Church of Satan member on LTTD would get banned there for posting here? What? That is the most ridiculous think I've ever heard. Why would they get banned?

Well the LTTD people have their heads so far up their own asses or up the elite CoS members asses that they cant tolerate critique, discussion or progressive thinking. No wonder their forum pretty much never has any fruitful discussion.

#43502 - 10/07/10 05:53 PM Marketing 101 [Re: Lamar]
Aklo Offline

Originally Posted By: Lamar
That is the most ridiculous think I've ever heard. Why would they get banned?

For "diluting the brand". It may be helpful to review some basic business realities.

But first, don't misunderstand, there are people who post both here and there and take responsibility for never letting it turn into an issue, who seem to get along just fine. Some. But the CoS have a really low tolerance for what constitutes an issue, due to their volume. As the official internet blood-gutter for the FSC, this site is in direct competition with Lttd, and that's an issue that has to be handled sensitively and respectfully.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy Conway
I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learned two great things in your life. Look at me: never rat out your friends; and always keep your mouth shut.

So anyway, back during the SRA hoaxes, when people at or near the top of a limited number of sects were traveling around arguing against a common threat, there was more room for cross-pollination. Now that things are easier, and we have degenerated further into polydenominalism, our own main serious threat is just "each other". When Pat Robertson says one of us sucks, anyone whose opinion we care about either already knows what's up or else he's just given us a free commercial. The only people who believe him are already off our list. But if Karla LaVey criticizes me, there's a damn good chance I really do suck.

Just imagine, Colonel, that you own a crappy chicken joint that has a monopoly on the second tier of fast food in your area. When that fat guy with the redhead daughter you trusted to run your kitchen sets up a deluxe burger joint across the street from you and your profits go down a sizeable chunk, you aren't going to like him. There you are, working your own kitchen AND not going to Maui this year. It's not that his burgers don't taste great, they DO; they ought to, they are coated with the same delicious sugar that was in your "secret recipe". It's just that People Who Fuck Up My Shit Suck Butt.

Now imagine one of your peon employees is sitting in your breakroom talking about how great the burgers are and how they eat them all the time. That's really obviously just intended as an insult, isn't it. Oh, you might have enough composure not to fire them right then for that. So maybe what you do is, just rigidly enforce your literacy standards for that particular brother. Maybe out of all the people who didn't wash their special shirt today, he's the one who keeps getting caught. Maybe you pick a fight with him and he storms out on his own. But one way or another, you would understandably rather not have him there.

Originally Posted By: Anton Szandor LaVey
1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.

From my imperfect viewpoint, the top competitors for the attention of the budding auto-theist are CoS and FSC, with TOS in third place but systematically picking away at the brainiacs. And it's no good saying the Setians are "so different", because the CoS/TOV thing is extremely damned different now too.

If you want to see specific implementations of some some of Dr. LaVey's late-period ideas, Peter Gilmore's group are right there at the cutting edge, outweirding weird. If you want the vintage stuff featured in good books and practiced by real celebrities since 1966, right here where you are is the place to have the conversation.

In a forum with reasonable standards of free speech like the 600 Club, it's possible for a variety of viewpoints to meet and share pamphlets with one another and see what's going on. There's still a strong tendency to deal with pods that walk in talking shit immediately and severely, though. It's for our own good, and there's no point gawking at it.

But the CoS can't afford to be that reasonable. They could seriously spend all day trying to be reasonable and never get anything done. They are in real danger of not getting anything done while being unreasonable all damn day. But what there is time to do, is notice someone apparently trolling, and press the "flush" button.

So if Boyd Rice were to really set up his own little RCOS or LDS it would probably be pretty weird. Odds are good that it would splinter or fizz out, but if it didn't, it could end up being something worth talking about. I suppose.

But that isn't what he's doing, this is performance art. He's challenging the "direct dispensation from the doktor" magic that they use to trumpet their legitimacy by symbolically taking precedence in that area. The only way it is going to be effective is if it gets some reiterative press. If people doing journalism point out at the end of their misinformed conglomerations that the post-LaVey CoS was eventually dissolved by Boyd Rice in favor of a vampire-free series of real-life accomplishments, well; that will be as funny as the Sammy Davis Jr. days, now won't it?

#43538 - 10/10/10 01:02 AM Re: Marketing 101 [Re: Aklo]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Well at the very least it is good to see Boyd Rice 'back.' Of course, only time will tell if Rice has found some new energy or if this is just some sort of new internet spasm.

I have always been a Boyd Rice fan but he has been pretty out of my field of view over the last few years. Then, I saw a very tragic interview of him at the Strand book store in NYC. I was a little horrified to see just how bad he looked.

However, he seems to be doing much better now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxC47uH06I&feature=related

So perhaps he is re-energized and ready for the next big thing. I can only hope that this is the face of things to come.

I 'get' Boyd Rice the same way I 'get' Charles Manson. Either you are operating on that stream of consciousness or you are not.

I keep trying to get Boyd Rice to join our little club. He comes to Philly a lot and with any luck I can talk to him face to face.

Next, I need to convince Jim Goad to post in here.

#43724 - 10/20/10 06:34 PM Re: Marketing 101 [Re: Fist]
Gueheriet Offline
stranger

I saw him playing in London a couple years ago and he looked fine, the show was great and quite energetic in fact.
About his statement I also hope him to follow on this direction and would like to point that the CoS and people related to it have been using Rice´s image for their own benefits during a long time, they were even selling clothing with wolfsangels and crosses of Lorraine a year or two ago. I think this use of his image, I´d really call it misappropiation, is a pretty good reason for a rant or even two.

#43749 - 10/22/10 01:39 PM Re: Marketing 101 [Re: Gueheriet]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
they were even selling clothing with wolfsangels and crosses of Lorraine a year or two ago. I think this use of his image, I´d really call it misappropiation, is a pretty good reason for a rant or even two.

*one liner override*

Implying that Rice has a monopoly on the right to use those symbols.

#43754 - 10/22/10 07:30 PM Re: Marketing 101 [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Gueheriet Offline
stranger

Of course he has not any monopoly over them but those symbols are closely associated to him in certain circles and the designs of those shirts was very similar to officially licensed Boyd Rice/NoN merch.
#43755 - 10/22/10 08:07 PM Re: Marketing 101 [Re: Gueheriet]
Jake999 Offline

Hell... the Free French had call on the Cross of Lorraine long ago. They bought their rights to it with their blood.

The American 79th Infantry Division was nicknamed the "Cross of Lorraine" Division; its insignia is the cross. Ironically, in World War II, the German 79th Infantry Division used the cross as its insignia because its first attack was in the Lorraine region.

The Cross of Lorraine was used by the original Knights Templar, with the permission of the Patriarch of Jerusalem.

Thomas Magnum (Magnum PI) and his Vietnam War cronies wore a Cross of Lorraine ring on the TV program Magnum PI.

The American Lung Association's been using it since I was a kid... and that's 6 decades at least. They go back to 1904.

Several churches and religious orders use the Cross of Lorraine.

OK... and also, in Hermeticism, the Cross of Lorraine is used to indicate "as above, so below," a familar theme with LaVey's philosophies on the Church of Satan. In all the time I was at the Black House, I never saw one in use or in storage. Could have been one SOMEPLACE, but if it had been that important in symbology, LaVey would have had it where it could be seen, and I was there long before Boyd Rice. I've never heard of it's great importance from anyone else that was there before me...

Sooooooooooo, I would say that it's a symbol whose usage has long, long been in the public domain.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.