Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4331 - 02/19/08 01:47 AM "Influence,"
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
"Influence," science and practice. By Robert B. Cialdin.

Just finished reading it. My intention was not to gain more knowledge on HOW to influence others, but instead, to recognize if I am being manipulated in subtle ways, without realizing it.

If I may be so conceited as to say, that I consider myself a very old dog when it comes to noticing tactics used by others in an attempt to influence me, yet I still found this particular book highly informative. So much so, that I plan to read it a few more times, which I very rarely do.

It's not one of those sugar coated, books by some modern guru such as Dr. Phil or the likes of him. The author backs up his claims, quite convincingly, by using actual scientific studies, and experiments about how average (and not so average, dare I say elite?) individuals can be manipulated if with the right applications.

I would very highly recommend this particular book to be on the top shelf of every "Satanic" library.

This is the link to it on Amazon books.

#4388 - 02/20/08 08:00 PM Re: "Influence," [Re: Asmedious]
Equilibrio Offline
pledge

Loc: Missouri
My mother gave me a copy of Cialdini's Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion when she was getting her doctorate in psychology back in the mid 1990's and I read that thing until the covers fell off. It lays out in black-and-white what most "natural born" Satanists know intuitively, and reading it was akin (for me) to reading TSB for the first time.

Cialdini lays out six different principals:

-Reciprocity
-Scarcity
-Liking
-Authority
-Social Proof
-Commitment/Consistency

Studying each of these helped me develop a deeper grasp of influence as an application of LBM and (even more importantly) gave me adequate tools with which to defend myself from the "ethical persuasions" of others.

Thanks for reminding me of this one, Asmedious...I'm going to buy another copy for my library.

Semi-Off Topic: Another book she gave me at the same time was Inevitable Illusions: How Mistakes of Reason Rule Our Minds by Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini. It doesn't directly have anything to do with influence, but it SHOULD be of interest to anyone who found Cialdini's book enjoyable. Here is the Amazon.com link.

#4405 - 02/20/08 11:20 PM Re: "Influence," [Re: Equilibrio]

Thanks, I put "Inevitable Illusions" on my Amazon wish list.

As for the "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" book, that is the same one that I was referring to. My copy is simply the updated version, fourth edition. Probably not much different then the one your mother gave you.

#4437 - 02/21/08 10:17 PM Re: "Influence," [Re: Asmedious]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Y'know, once I get paid again, I think I'll order that book. It may come in handy on both counts, as sometimes, I can get easily manipulated. Only sometimes though. It'll also come in handy on the other end also when need be.

#4481 - 02/23/08 06:02 PM Re: "Influence," [Re: Asmedious]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Thanks for the recommend. I think this might be just the book I have been looking for. I play a lot of poker. I have read and watched a million tutorials on the fundamentals of the game. But as any poker player will tell you, it's a game of players, not cards. You have to know when you are being hustled and when you have the goods. Online is a lot harder, as obviously you can't see the others twitching in their seats or other tells. I think this book might have some value in learning to assess "tells" from other live players.

I also am intrigued to get this book to see if I can gain insight into manipulating others in the work environment. Not to mention to recognize when they are using me. This moves to the top of my book list. Thanks for bringing it to my/our attention.

#4486 - 02/24/08 01:12 AM Re: "Influence," [Re: fakepropht]

I enjoy poker as well, however, I wouldn't recommend this particullar book for the reasons which you state. Personally, I can't make any connections where it might be useful for the game.

However, I would highly recommend it for the "manipulating others in the work environment", especially when it comes to subordinates, but more so to see when we are being manipulated, and how it might be done.

Edited by Asmedious (02/24/08 01:12 AM)

#4495 - 02/24/08 08:10 AM Re: "Influence," [Re: Asmedious]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I think you are correct. After reading this, I did a little more research on the book. I agree it has more application to the business world and selling in particular. It sounds like you could use the lessons in a social environment as well. While I don't think it will aid in my poker playing, I will still check into it for the work aspect.

#4514 - 02/25/08 12:29 AM Re: "Influence," [Re: fakepropht]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
On the topic of influence, I strongly recommend Sue Knight's book on Neuro-Linguistic Programming. It's done wonders for me on the sales floor!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.