Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#43320 - 09/29/10 01:18 PM Lavey Symbolism
deathreaperuk Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: England
I always try to find symbolism in laveys philosophy, this is from the book of satan verse 1. following the verse is the symbolism i found within it. hope you find it intresting and see the symbolism aswell.

In this arid wilderness of steel and stone I raise up my voice that you may hear. To the East and to the West I beckon. To the North and to the South I show a sign proclaiming: Death to the weakling, wealth to the strong!

so what is it saying.

In this dry and unimaginative wilderness that we have created, We removed our natural habitat of our animal kingdom forgetting where we come from and replaced it with steel and stone creating a ''Dry wilderness''

From all around i am there north, south, east and west to remind you who you are, humanity has made you visious in other means, but we are all preditory animals by instinct. Through creation of our arid wilderness came law, order justce and devine religion.

Weak be those who believe in falsehood and join an unthinking collective community of herd conformity. Death to the weakling meaning the heards and the death to them is their realization of their own falsehood, and upun realizing themselfs and no longer being afraid of inderviduality they will get the ''wealth'' and become the strong, on a path to their own fullfillment, gratification and undefied wisdom.

id also like to add the symbolism of the four cardinal points in the passage too, This is a important symbolical reference to this verse, which should lead in to more understanding of it.

to the east and west i beckon,

days begin in the east and end in the west (after one day always beckons another)

Now Lucifer is the crown prince with the cardinal point to the east, known as the morning star and bringer of light, how fitting that our star (the sun) brings us light as it rises in the east.

Leviathan is the prince with the cardinal point to the west. who resides in the dark deep abyss of the sea, The west is where the sun sets and brings us darkness.

To the north and south i proclaim a sign,

Again how fitting that the two crown princes remaining are satan and balail.

Satan being the accuser, oposite and adversary, and us as satanists shouting the sign. he resides in the south

And Belail resides in the north, one of the most powerfull cardinal points as it is the magnetic point. and agiain with the strongest cardinal point, Belial stands for, mastary of the earth, without a master and independance. bringing the ''death'' of the weakling of what he and satan stands for.

#43406 - 10/02/10 05:24 PM Re: Lavey Symbolism [Re: deathreaperuk]
deathreaperuk Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: England
I am just wondering if any more of you find this sort of symbolism in his writings ?

Or is it my liking of Shakespeare and his symbolism that helps me see hidden depths lol

#43421 - 10/03/10 09:40 PM Re: Lavey Symbolism [Re: deathreaperuk]
Gemini Offline
pledge

Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
While I applaud the effort you've taken to analyze the literature, you've made one mistake: The "Book of Satan" is basically a plagiarized version of Might Is Right by Ragnar Redbeard.

Hypocrisy, Plagiariasm, & LaVey

-Gemini

#43424 - 10/03/10 10:36 PM Re: Lavey Symbolism [Re: deathreaperuk]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Some of my own thoughts on this.

Sometimes I like to go to the Art Gallery of New South Wales, which is the large and well established art gallery in Sydney. When I go there I sometimes like to sit in front of the great classic landscape paintings made during the colonial period of the mid to late 19th century.

It is interesting to see how the artist’s vision has been influenced by where they have come from, what they know and believe, and by whom they were. Many of the first oil on canvas paintings made in Australia were made by Englishmen and as a result the paintings looked more like rural England with Rousseau’s noble savages than Australia and its first people.

Then in the later 19th century Australian artists actually began painting Australia the way it “really” looked, except that they were under the influence of what was happening in Europe at the time, so these new Australian landscapes all had an impressionist appearance underpinning them

I feel that the way we see the world is informed by what we know and believe, and by who we are.

LaVey has used selected portions of Redbeard’s work as a means of encouraging the reader to re-learn the law of the jungle.

‘In this arid wilderness of steel and stone’

I personally regard this key passage as a way of seeing the world in what can be regarded as a Satanic way, rather than as a comment on the nature of our society, or of the way we have somehow replaced a pure and perfect nature with a stifling and inhuman culture.

This way of seeing is raw and by that I mean it is a way of seeing which dispenses with all belief driven systems and codes which are held to be true or valuable by collectives of people. This world is perceived as philosophically undecorated and hence as neither benevolent or malevolent, and is harsh, in so far as one must measure up in order to survive or else.

This world is startling and beautiful in its cold clarity: it is an arid wilderness because it again is filled with objects which have been stripped bare of intellectual framing or moral order.

To look at this world through the lens of Romanticism, for instance, or as nature as sublime or god, would be to impose a frame of some sort on this world and hence would be a conditioned vision.

I feel that Satanism does not do this, the objects are stripped: they are raw stone and steel and this is appropriate for a perception of the jungle wherein the law of the jungle functions.

Wealth to the strong and death to the weakling is the ultimate law of this jungle.

I think that LaVey intended Satanism to be the ultimate alternative to belief – a repudiation of all belief. This inclusion of Redbeard’s work suggests that to me at least.

This vision is a tough one and I am not sure how many ordinary people can view it this way.

#43458 - 10/05/10 08:32 PM Re: Lavey Symbolism [Re: deathreaperuk]
Aklo Offline

It may seem like a petty quibble to drag "Ragnar Redbeard" into this discussion. After all, we probably never would have heard of him if not for Dr. LaVey's use of selected passages from Might is Right to summarize the Law of the Jungle in his first book.

Furthermore, looking through the real authors suggested for the work, such as Arthur Desmond and Jack London, we find no one whose writing style more strongly resembles "Ragnar" than Anton Szandor LaVey himself. I shudder at the thought of the time I have spent poring over Redbeard, Dee and LaVey figuring out where phrases like "mildewed minds" and "millstones greater than the earth" really originated. (If we wanted to use a mystical model, we might speculate that Dr. LaVey was a reincarnation of whoever really wrote Might is Right; or that they were both in touch with the same devil, who taught them these dialectic tricks. More likely though, is that LaVey simply read and reread the prior text from an early time in his life, and incorporated much of its style into his own.)

The point in your analysis where it really becomes important who said what, however, is the directional symbolism. While we can be sure that LaVey had already developed his associations with the Abramelin princes before 1969 when he published his selections, we have no information indicating that Ragnar Redbeard would have known these attributions. While they seem standard and self-evident to us, they don't correspond to what we find in the Goetia and related works, nor do they match what the astrology people would tend to use. The whiny / itchy / crafty community is still arguing at this late date as to what element should be assigned to which direction, with an annoying tendency in the Gardnerian section to favor north for air (winter) or east for water (spring). The enochian material adds to this confusion, apparently favoring south for earth or water and north for fire.

So when Dr. LaVey chose those passages, he may have been thinking about Lucifer and Belial and so on, but the author was conceivably just thinking of "everywhere, all directions".

Beyond that, there's the question of the characterization of the real world as "arid", which has some philosophical connotations that others can probably make a better exposition on than myself. This kind of phrasing turns up again in the Baptism, where "from the arid wastes and bleaching bones and nothingness thou cometh into our midst."

I'd love to see your critique of that ritual, as well as the one developed from the Al Jilwah.

Edited by Aklo (10/05/10 08:51 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.